Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

bagrada posted:

Is shaman/spirit shaman available in some form in 2e?

Just curious, we're going with the premades for our first intro box game, but after that I was looking at options for a spiritual but fighty lizardfolk.

For spiritual but fighty, you may also want to look at the Spirit Barbarian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Thaumaturge also has "spiritual but fighty" flavor

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Lizard thaumaturge would be great, just cargo culting magic

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Some great ideas, thanks, I'll look into those.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Witch is pretty Shamany too. Curses side, anyway. Pure caster with a familiar.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
It isn't a 100% fit to the old class but Summoner gives you a caster who can mix it up in melee. There are eidolons that could be your spirit patron and give access to shaman style magic. They'd just have a much more active role in combat.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Lamuella posted:

Lizard thaumaturge would be great, just cargo culting magic

Oh I love this actually; weapon implement with a club flavored as a Medicine Stick type thing… grab the talisman feats and hand out ritual charms to the gang.

Yeah you could do cool poo poo here.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

The new Adventure Path has an archetype dedication that lets your familiar make attacks, but reddit says it's pretty unbalanced in the player's favor and will probably get errata'd.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I'm playing Kingmaker and I have a precision bastard sword welding ranger with an animal companion, but we have 4 martials and 1 spellcaster and I'm considering changing to an Animal Companion/wild shape druid.

Would I be too action limited trying to control an animal and doing wild shapes/spells?

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
So by level 4, you can do one action from your companion without having to spend the action yourself. That makes it a lot easier. Then you can decide if you really want that third action, or if you can just spend it on your companion instead.

Doing both of those to full power will really eat into your class feats, though.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Cyouni posted:

So by level 4, you can do one action from your companion without having to spend the action yourself. That makes it a lot easier. Then you can decide if you really want that third action, or if you can just spend it on your companion instead.

Doing both of those to full power will really eat into your class feats, though.

We're playing with free archetype and i was going to go beast master and just lean into animal boi

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Oh, that's fine then once you hit mature at 4.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Hey there!

So, my group is coming to the end of our first full campaign (Fist of the Ruby Phoenix).

We're starting to discuss our next campaign, new characters, etc.

In our current game, I've been playing a Dwarf Champion that honestly should have been a fighter, as I've made very little use of the Champion abilities. He spends most fights leaping all over the map and, having taken Wrestler dedication, grappling and suplexing foes.

For our next game, I'm considering something very different - Summoner.

However, I've never played one before, so I'm looking for advice regarding Pros/Cons, and common pitfalls with the class.

The campaign we are looking at next will likely be Strength of Thousands.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Summoner is very weird because of the shared HP. This means if you want to get into melee as your eidolon you'll need at least some con. It's extremely complicated to get the fourth action but I assume it gets easier the more you play!

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Annath posted:

Hey there!

So, my group is coming to the end of our first full campaign (Fist of the Ruby Phoenix).

We're starting to discuss our next campaign, new characters, etc.

In our current game, I've been playing a Dwarf Champion that honestly should have been a fighter, as I've made very little use of the Champion abilities. He spends most fights leaping all over the map and, having taken Wrestler dedication, grappling and suplexing foes.

For our next game, I'm considering something very different - Summoner.

However, I've never played one before, so I'm looking for advice regarding Pros/Cons, and common pitfalls with the class.

The campaign we are looking at next will likely be Strength of Thousands.

Summoner is the only (non heavy armor) class where I suggest going 16 con at the expense of dumping some Dex. The shared health pool is a big deal.

Magic Weapon is arguably the best first level spell, but check in with your GM how they feel about the specific wording of the rules for sharing potency runes and whether you can “invest” a mundane weapon in order to cast Magic Weapon on it to give your eidolon a +1 Striking Rune on demand at first level. (Versus, you know, just giving it to the fighter.)

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

summoner is kind of a mess and you'll want to talk things over with your gm in terms of how your saves work and how you want to manage aoe effects etc. they're super weird and i still get hosed up on my player using act together sometimes, it just gets so janky

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I'm playing Kingmaker and I have a precision bastard sword welding ranger with an animal companion, but we have 4 martials and 1 spellcaster and I'm considering changing to an Animal Companion/wild shape druid.

Would I be too action limited trying to control an animal and doing wild shapes/spells?

As a follow up to this if i mostly want to be an animal wrangler and wild shape, how important is 18 vs 16 wis if i want to boost str to 14 in order to get form control?

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

I don't think summoner is too confusing, but there's a summoner in both of the campaigns I'm in right now. If you and your eidolon are caught in the same AoE effect, you both roll a save and calculate the damage each would take, the summoner takes the highest of those results. Status effects are more complicated though, but damage is pretty straightforward.

For actions you always get 4 (assuming you aren't affected by something that reduces your actions.) The most you or your eidolon can take in a turn is 3. If you or your eidolon use a 2 action activity, like casting a spell or a breath weapon or whatever, then the other one cannot use a 2 action activity, only single actions. You can specify act together and figure it out every turn and I think that's helpful if you're slowed or have some special circumstance, but just applying those rules is easier for us under normal circumstances.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I really like summoners, really fun to play

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

The Slack Lagoon posted:

As a follow up to this if i mostly want to be an animal wrangler and wild shape, how important is 18 vs 16 wis if i want to boost str to 14 in order to get form control?

I just asked this about wizard and the general consensus seemed to be that keeping the main casting stat high is pretty important. What's your stat spread though? You should be able to have both 18 wis and 14 str to start. If you're using your spells for buffing allies and wild shape I'm not sure if wisdom is as important.

Most spells are two actions from what I've noticed so far which would leave you a free action to command your animal companion. I didn't see any rules whether or not you can command the animal while wild shaped though, that could be an issue. That would mean your positioning is pretty important so you don't have to move a lot, but if you're casting you would probably get out of the fray anyway.

Edit: Also, if you said you had 3 martials and 1 caster I would be sure you were playing in my Kingmaker game that just started. We've got a Rogue, Champion, Ranger and I'm a Wizard. Your concept for a druid is really oddly similar to my wizard as well. I'm playing a transmutation wizard, so I'm gonna mess around with polymorph spells. And I'm going to get the spellslime familiar as my compaion.

gurragadon fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Feb 24, 2023

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Look over at the Reddit there seems to be a fair amount of boo-hoo that casters had to give up single target damage to be the AOE and Utility guys.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Look over at the Reddit there seems to be a fair amount of boo-hoo that casters had to give up single target damage to be the AOE and Utility guys.

casters never really had great single target damage and their most important spells were always utility spells, which were in fact hit harder than everything else in pf2 so ???????

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

sugar free jazz posted:

casters never really had great single target damage and their most important spells were always utility spells, which were in fact hit harder than everything else in pf2 so ???????

Whats missing from the utility spell list? Paizo releases a ton of stuff so I havent looked at everything yet.

I really dont understand why attack cantrips arent 1 action. Like that would let people just blast off some random damage when they didnt have a good spell to cast.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

gurragadon posted:

Whats missing from the utility spell list? Paizo releases a ton of stuff so I havent looked at everything yet.

I really dont understand why attack cantrips arent 1 action. Like that would let people just blast off some random damage when they didnt have a good spell to cast.

Uh, because that would mean you would be casting 3 cantrips a turn. Which with how cantrips scale would be silly.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Dexo posted:

Uh, because that would mean you would be casting 3 cantrips a turn. Which with how cantrips scale would be silly.

Alright fair enough, then a feat that lets you cast two for 3 actions.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Apply MAP

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Yeah you have to add the MAP. And when you crit fail the cantrip attacks the wizard too.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
these are some real lets say interesting ideas...

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

gurragadon posted:

Because then also you'd be able to cast a good spell and a cantrip every turn? And it's real easy to not have to deal with MAP or any downsides if you're even remotely smart about it.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Cyouni posted:

Because then also you'd be able to cast a good spell and a cantrip every turn? And it's real easy to not have to deal with MAP or any downsides if you're even remotely smart about it.

Yeah, it would have to be a feat where you have to use 3 actions to make 2 cantrip attacks and still take MAP.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

sugar free jazz posted:

*looks at you in Disintegrate*

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Why would you ever cast disintegrate when you could cast a save or die instead? 5d6 on a save was trash in 1e.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

lol is this a joke

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

KPC_Mammon posted:

Why would you ever cast disintegrate when you could cast a save or die instead? 5d6 on a save was trash in 1e.

Uh...that's not what I remember. It's a save-or-die in AD&D, isn't it? Literally make the save or be disintegrated.

I mean I'm feeling a bit off balance here, I thought it was pretty common knowledge that Magic Users had very good single target stuff in 1e and 2e. That's not accepted wisdom now?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Uh...that's not what I remember. It's a save-or-die in AD&D, isn't it? Literally make the save or be disintegrated.

I mean I'm feeling a bit off balance here, I thought it was pretty common knowledge that Magic Users had very good single target stuff in 1e and 2e. That's not accepted wisdom now?

1e in this context is Pathfinder 1e (aka D&D 3.5e), friend

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Dexo posted:

Eh, not as much as you'd think. While being able to do that would make spells like Disintegrate even more pointless and silly, even casting something obviously a bit too strong like Electric Arc three times in a turn would only put you on par with average straightforward martial builds when you run the math on it. Spells do a LOT less damage in a round compared to martial characters than people ever expect, it's somewhere around ~33% as much depending on what you're comparing.

Regarding Disintegrate-chat, in PF1 it was a touch attack so on top of target AC not scaling as much you also got to ignore any armor or shield bonuses, while in PF2 you have to make a spell attack against a target's normal AC and THEN they get a basic Fort save on top of that. The spell also does about the same or less damage then it did in PF1 while martial characters in PF2 all get Greater Weapon Specialization and entire extra dice from their magic weapons instead of a single point of damage per increment. It's definitely way less damage relative to its place in PF1.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 25, 2023

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Do you know what thread you’re in

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I think the main issue with casters is that learning enemy saves is a nightmare to do RAW and everything else is a consequence of that

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Jen X posted:

I think the main issue with casters is that learning enemy saves is a nightmare to do RAW and everything else is a consequence of that

I let players know which is the weakest save and any resistances and vulnerabilities on a successful recall knowledge.

It isn't RAW and it makes a few class feats irrelevant but I've not had any complaints from my players. They make recall knowledge checks fairly often and sometimes even take Additional Lore in certain monster categories.

From my end, tactical combat is a lot more interesting when you are making at least somewhat informed decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Jen X posted:

That's my big concern right now. About to run my first one-shot in 2e (and PF in general) and calculating DCs and saves seems very intimidating on the DM side. Like it looks doable, but you have to be absolutely on top of your poo poo and I'm not sure how to cheat sheet it for quick integration that doesn't disrupt narrative flow.