Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

elf help book posted:

It's weird they're only charging $30 for it.

the first Katamari Damacy dropped for just twenty bucks and also ruled. It's one of the mysteries of the age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments

The 7th Guest posted:

wait until you get outside and the cameras regenerate after 30 seconds though!! (or i guess don't, since you are uninstalling lol)

Yeah, this is the part where I've lost all patience with this game. The cameras respawn, the enemies respawn, you can go take out the local security system...but that respawns too! It's like someone's grand idea to update Bioshock was to make the gameplay match the misery of the setting. In other words, it's the perfect game for gamepass.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly the AI is so rock dumb that if you shoot the cameras you can walk around unmolested in most cases.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Merrill Grinch posted:

Yeah, this is the part where I've lost all patience with this game. The cameras respawn, the enemies respawn, you can go take out the local security system...but that respawns too! It's like someone's grand idea to update Bioshock was to make the gameplay match the misery of the setting. In other words, it's the perfect game for gamepass.
You’re not supposed to fight stuff you’re just supposed to sneak to the POI and if you get spotted just dodge them for like 6 seconds until the deaggro. That section is like a 10 minute pit stop to the next area you’re not supposed to hang out there.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Game seems bad, Will not clog up my Xbox's storage with this filth

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

All I can say is use your powers. Get telekinesis slam and upgrade shok and you can just wreck the robots. Just duck into houses loot and keep going. I played it more run and gun and made it through easy enough.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Marvel's Midnight Suns kind of reminds me of Mass Effect but with way more interesting combat.

Edit: also you cannot gently caress Dr Strange

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

hatty posted:

Yeah so far it sounds like a 3/5 game that's also 200 gb.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments

American McGay posted:

You’re not supposed to fight stuff you’re just supposed to sneak to the POI and if you get spotted just dodge them for like 6 seconds until the deaggro. That section is like a 10 minute pit stop to the next area you’re not supposed to hang out there.

I should have specified; I'm at the Expo area after Lesnaya train station, not the initial outdoors training area.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

welcome posted:

Game Pass: A 3/5 game that's also 200 gb.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wiltsghost posted:

All I can say is use your powers. Get telekinesis slam and upgrade shok and you can just wreck the robots. Just duck into houses loot and keep going. I played it more run and gun and made it through easy enough.

Once you get the chainsaw blade on a stick go and grab the magnet upgrade for it. It kills everything including bosses in seconds

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

welcome posted:

Yeah so far it sounds like a 3/5 game that's also 200 gb.

I have heard from social media this week that the quality of a game is determined by the game size, so every modern 2D game is just an abomination!

This also makes Hitman 2 a far better game than Hitman 3. They really messed up by optimizing their data files, what an embarrassment!

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 23, 2023

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I forgot that HITMAN did that compression optimization to get 3 full games worth of content + DLCs to like 60GB. Game of the decade.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
My favorite optimization failure was buying the Pac-Man, Dig Dug, Galaga triple pack in some sale and realizing in horror that they were a loving gigabyte apiece.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

dig dug is one of the greatest games ever made and is worth whatever amount of storage space it asks for

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

welcome posted:

My favorite optimization failure was buying the Pac-Man, Dig Dug, Galaga triple pack in some sale and realizing in horror that they were a loving gigabyte apiece.

Gotta have the highest-quality arcade cabinet and marquee art resource files.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

4k pixel art and 320kbps chiptune music, lol

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

It is a weird attribute of some of these older games, though, depending on how "authentically" you play them you can wind up with artwork resource files that are exponentially larger than the original game ROM, like Vectrex ROMs are 8 kilobytes but you can get scans of the plastic overlays every game came with and are like a meg in size each. And some arcade games get really weird with it by having little analog audio devices built into the cabinet and stuff like that, which technically aren't in the ROM chips (just instructions of commands to send to the device in question).

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
This has been revealed - Forza Horizon 5: Rally Adventure. A new region (Sierra Nueva), a new campaign with different rally teams to join up with, rally stuff like pace notes and co-drivers, and ten new cars. March 29, $20 or part of the various bundles. There'll also be a free update on the same date bringing back Epitaph Radio from Forza Horizon 3.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

hatty posted:

After reading the thread's opinions I've uninstalled it without even playing it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

External Organs posted:

Edit: also you cannot gently caress Dr Strange

Welp removing from my wishlist :sigh:

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

https://twitter.com/TrueAchievement/status/1628755493479907329?s=20

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Wow that'll show em

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The game seems very anti Soviet from what I’ve seen

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hatty posted:

The game seems very anti Soviet from what I’ve seen

ok?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Otacon: 20th century video games only simulated the battlefield. But when the Ukrainian government called for a ban on sales of Atomic Heart...
Snake: Video games became the battlefield...
Otacon: That's right Snake.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

i think that's because the tweet called it a "soviet power fantasy"

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

The Soviet Power Fantasy of having your society destroyed by your own killer robots.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i think that's because the tweet called it a "soviet power fantasy"

It both is and isn't. The areas it is critical of don't overlap much with the 'utopia' elements. It is like the kind of American power fantasy where the corrupt few ruin the dreams of guns and freedom.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ill be honest i didn't read the tweet but I am unsurprised by a games journalist not getting the themes of the game even though they're obvious in the first few minutes and also that the Soviet union and the Russian federation are wildly different governments lol. it's like talking about the influence of Crown appointed governors on modern America.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The Kins posted:

This has been revealed - Forza Horizon 5: Rally Adventure. A new region (Sierra Nueva), a new campaign with different rally teams to join up with, rally stuff like pace notes and co-drivers, and ten new cars. March 29, $20 or part of the various bundles. There'll also be a free update on the same date bringing back Epitaph Radio from Forza Horizon 3.

Holy poo poo they read my loving mind and then made an expansion that was literally the exact thing I wanted. Up to and including Epitaph records. :eyepop:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think painting AH as pro or anti Soviet implies it has more to say than it does.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 minutes!

American McGay posted:

I forgot that HITMAN did that compression optimization to get 3 full games worth of content + DLCs to like 60GB. Game of the decade.

its insane. so much content and it looks and plays incredible on series x. truly goated

Omon Ra
Nov 1, 2020
peanus

Larry Parrish posted:

ill be honest i didn't read the tweet but I am unsurprised by a games journalist not getting the themes of the game even though they're obvious in the first few minutes and also that the Soviet union and the Russian federation are wildly different governments lol. it's like talking about the influence of Crown appointed governors on modern America.
Thanks larry, you're the voice of reason and Soviet/Russian themes recognition that these forums sorely need.

That aside, Atomic Heart glitched out for me and I keep falling through the floor, so RIP. AIDS status confirmed.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

I think someone described Atomic Heart's main literary inspiration being those Russian novels where a gamer travels back in time to replace Stalin as leader of the USSR and defeat the Nazis even harder, and I think that about sums it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-7u3C-y0Mo

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

As a gamer, if I could travel back in time, I would go back to the 70s when Pong first came out and play it. I always wanted to try one of the original cabinets but I've never seen one around.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Pong is fairly mid. Not afraid to say it.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

The paddles on original Pong are freakin' tiny, I wonder how hard it was.

An arcade near me has a Super Breakout (1978). It's got this huge mechanical game mode selector knob on it that goes k-CHONK every time you turn it. It's cool.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

The Kins posted:

Pretty cool. I'm due a re-download of Forza, racing games fit into the whole sports once-in-a-blue-moon kinda deal for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
On the one hand I never would have heard of Atomic Heart without this thread but on the other hand this thread has also prevented me from actually playing it. So I guess I'm back where I started