Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

HootTheOwl posted:

Where is Thrawn!?

I bid you Dark Greetings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

twistedmentat posted:

I love that I keep seeing "andor is the best star wars, therfore all star wars not andor is bad" all over the place. What ever happened to nuance?

We deal in absolutes ITT.

thrawn527 posted:

Oh poo poo, the mofference was this week? I'm gonna be in such hot water with Trioculus for not making my travel arrangements.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

thrawn527 posted:

Hello, sir, you probably don't remember me but I was with you when you blew up Zarin.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

HootTheOwl posted:

Hello, sir, you probably don't remember me but I was with you when you blew up Zarin.

Do you mean the "would be Emperor" Zaarin? Foolish traitor never saw it coming.

God I loved that game. It's what I made my avatar from.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I don't think it would be particular out of order for the Rebels crew to show up in season 2. Didn't say they were was going to be like a year between each story arc so that the end can line up with Rogue One? Them showing up for an episode and a half or whatever would be cool under this creative team.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Especially when tony gilroy lets chopper drop an f bomb

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Jerkface posted:

Especially when tony gilroy lets chopper drop an f bomb

He’s an astromech, how do we know he hasn’t already

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
gently caress, I miss that irascible little mass-murderer.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Since we know it’s a Rebels followup they better bring him back in Ahsoka at least

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Luthen is absolutely going to die in season 2, there's no way in hell he lives.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
He already made it clear he's going to die with his sacrifice monologue. He burns his life to make a sunrise that he knows he'll never see.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Luthen, On Coruscant 35 ABY
"What did I sacrifice? NOTHING!"

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Neo Rasa posted:

I don't think it would be particular out of order for the Rebels crew to show up in season 2. Didn't say they were was going to be like a year between each story arc so that the end can line up with Rogue One? Them showing up for an episode and a half or whatever would be cool under this creative team.

I think they could make it work tone wise but idk of they'd bother to cast live action actors for a brief appearance

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Apropos of nothing: It's funny how they give not-guns to the child characters because gun-toting children and Disney don't mix.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Halloween Jack posted:

Apropos of nothing: It's funny how they give not-guns to the child characters because gun-toting children and Disney don't mix.

Also, humanoids get stun blasts, but droids and lizard people get live fire.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Watched the first episode of Bad Batch again recently and they straight merc some clones in that. Just murdering their bros. One shot had Hunter hit a guy in the shin with a blaster and follows it up with a face shot as he goes down.

After watching season 2 with them only stunning clones it caught me off guard.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

They move over to stunning clones later in season 1. I remember the episode on the former separatist planet where they're extracting a senator or whatever is where it stood out to me the first time

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Disney execs horrified when they saw the kamino episodes of TCW where ten thousand Jar babies die onscreen and Daniel Logan clones use assault rifles to mow down droids.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Arc Hammer posted:

Disney execs horrified when they saw the kamino episodes of TCW where ten thousand Jar babies die onscreen and Daniel Logan clones use assault rifles to mow down droids.

Better or worse than flushing them?

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Larryb posted:

Since we know it’s a Rebels followup they better bring him back in Ahsoka at least

The Ahsoka reveal had him rolling around on stage. He's back.

The best stuff always has the best droids. You can basically tell Star Wars quality by their droids.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Darko posted:

The Ahsoka reveal had him rolling around on stage. He's back.

The best stuff always has the best droids. You can basically tell Star Wars quality by their droids.

I like BB8, he's a cool concept and I got the remote toy. Rolling ball of chaos is good.

The movies he is in, not so much.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
BB8 and his lighter thumbs up is probably top teir droid moment.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

tadashi posted:

things like flying bombers in WWII

Not exactly. They tended to be older than the rest of the crew. A waist gunner might be a 19 year old, but the pilots were in their mid 20s.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Owlbear Camus posted:

We deal in absolutes ITT.

Only a Sith reviews in absolutes.

Burning_Monk posted:

I like BB8, he's a cool concept and I got the remote toy. Rolling ball of chaos is good.

The movies he is in, not so much.

After Rey's buffness, my favorite thing in the sequels.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

twistedmentat posted:

TV IV › Star Wars TV Megathread: Only a Sith reviews in absolutes.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

twistedmentat posted:

I love that I keep seeing "andor is the best star wars, therefore all star wars not andor is bad" all over the place. What ever happened to nuance?

The nuance is that Andor is not Star Wars, so what people are announcing is effectively that they've never liked Star Wars in the first place.

It's part of the same franchise and 'canonical', of course, but the visual language is entirely different in ways that can't be reconciled. Andor's sensibilities are direct from Blade Runner, and it would be completely nonsensical to pair it up with Return Of The Jedi or something.

(When Lucas referenced Blade Runner in Star Wars Episode 2, it was unmistakably a reference to the content of that film, rather than the style.)

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Marsupial Ape posted:

Guess I should watch Andor, now.

We have such wonders to show you.

HootTheOwl posted:

Where is Thrawn!?

NGL, when Ashoka asked "Where is your master?" I was there for it. When she followed up with "Where is Gr..." the hairs on the back of my neck stood up. I instantly knew where they were going and I was hype AF.

StashAugustine posted:

I think they could make it work tone wise but idk of they'd bother to cast live action actors for a brief appearance

It does if those actors are also in a different series and already under contract with Lucasarts.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's part of the same franchise and 'canonical', of course, but the visual language is entirely different in ways that can't be reconciled.

fuckin lol, cmon SMG you can do better than this

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Arc Hammer posted:

Wait for Dave Filoni to be pegged as a co producer and screenwriter for season 2 of Andor and then it all becomes Rebels Season 5.

Andor suddenly has an 8 year old who looks up to him and he has to take care of.

I was legit scared the kid would end up joining the crew to partially make up for Echo leaving.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Feb 24, 2023

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The nuance is that Andor is not Star Wars, so what people are announcing is effectively that they've never liked Star Wars in the first place.

It's part of the same franchise and 'canonical', of course, but the visual language is entirely different in ways that can't be reconciled. Andor's sensibilities are direct from Blade Runner, and it would be completely nonsensical to pair it up with Return Of The Jedi or something.

(When Lucas referenced Blade Runner in Star Wars Episode 2, it was unmistakably a reference to the content of that film, rather than the style.)

Absolutely not? Star Wars if anything was an early pioneer in the dirty "used future" aesthetic that Scott then developed further in first Alien then Blade Runner. If you're trying to draw a distinction between Andor and the rest of the franchise it's the worst thing to pick on

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

It's SMG, their whole thing is starting with a premise that doesn't align with the text, then engaging in an escalating series of misconceptions and bad readings to back up what they already decided is true.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

It's SMG, their whole thing is starting with a premise that doesn't align with the text, then engaging in an escalating series of misconceptions and bad readings to back up what they already decided is true.

i can't believe i left this site for as long as i did just to come back and see SMG not having missed a beat

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

This Nerd needs to brush up on their Sepan history.

thrawn527 posted:

God I loved that game.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Seriously, the only difference between the treatment of the Aldani and the Rippubus/Dimok is that the scoffed at Sepan customs happen in space.(Because Tie Fighter happens in space)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Sepan Civil War taught us that space nazis will end conflict between Republicans and Democrats by stealing their children.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

and give them sick rear end tattoos

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Owlbear Camus posted:

and give them sick rear end tattoos

Nah space nazis only give their secret wizard order the sick rear end tattoos.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Anyone who takes their customs duties seriously can get sick tattoos.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

StashAugustine posted:

Absolutely not? Star Wars if anything was an early pioneer in the dirty "used future" aesthetic that Scott then developed further in first Alien then Blade Runner. If you're trying to draw a distinction between Andor and the rest of the franchise it's the worst thing to pick on

I'm not referring to the production design (or, at least, not on its own), but to the cinematography and editing.

For example: the red robot is very clearly "a star wars droid" - all banged up and used-future-aesthetic. But in Andor, they convey that he's mourning with a lengthy shallow-focus extreme closeup on his camera-eye. You're not going to see anything like that in Star Wars proper - which you can confirm, because we do have many scenes of characters sad and mourning.

Of course, everyone's aware that the designs are fairly different as well. Many people have already commented on the lack of more outre alien designs, and about how difficult it is to see the offscreen "Emperor" as being puffy-faced satanist Sheev Palpatine. Watching the show, I kept thinking of stuff like the Geonosis coliseum from Episode 2, and the Gungan city in Episode 1.