Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neo Rasa posted:

This is like the origin story for the Warhammer 40K universe

Actually Event Horizon is the 40K origin story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

:aaaaa:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Xenomrph posted:

Still mad we didn't get a DOOM movie right after of Laurence Fishburne ripping and tearing in hell

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The DOOM movie we did get had some fun parts, but they really chickened out by changing the plot to be about genetic engineering gone wrong instead of literal demons from Hell.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

The DOOM movie we did get had some fun parts, but they really chickened out by changing the plot to be about genetic engineering gone wrong instead of literal demons from Hell.

Also they made some honestly cool monster suits and then shot made almost everything super dark when they were around lol

Then that more recent "we just want to hold onto the rights one" DOOM: Annihilation was INSANELY loving cheap and bad.

The first scene was hopeful, they had a sci-fi set that was very, like, DOOM-esque? Reminded me of one of those harsh yellow tech areas from DOOM 64. Then like the entire rest of the movie is like Space Mutiny or Contamination or whatever where it's just like "yeah we know this is literally clearly a warehouse but uh if we keep the lights really dark maybe you can pretend it's a futuristic sci-fi base" with no real ripping or tearing.

Made the first DOOM movie look loving outstanding in comparison which is saying a lot since like you say they chickened out and then spend way too much time early on talking about genetic disorders and stuff.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The Doom movie rules. The bit where the demons are GMO monsters (but only if you’re evil, if you’re good then you just become more bad rear end) is stupid but inconsequential in the end. They’re basically still demons and even use the same designs (as Doom 3, not the good ones, but still). it makes you wonder what the point even was of changing it. Trying to avoid backlash from religious nuts, maybe? You’d think they’d have figured out from the original game or for that matter, the evangelical response to Harry Potter, that bad press is still press.

Almost everything else about the movie is great though. Sure it’s not very original, but neither is the game which is just an Aliens/Evil Dead 2 pastiche to begin with. One of only a few movies where The Rock really feels like an Arnie-style action hero who improves the movie with his persona rather than detracting from it because you know it’s The Rock and he’s just gonna wisecrack and save the day.

skasion fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 23, 2023

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I thought I was the only person who liked DOOM. It's a guilty pleasure. I love Karl Urban.

I had no idea they made a sequel. Hmm, some day I might force myself to watch it.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I thought I was the only person who liked DOOM. It's a guilty pleasure. I love Karl Urban.

I had no idea they made a sequel. Hmm, some day I might force myself to watch it.

Karl Urban Judge Dredd vs. Aliens would rock.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

madeintaipei posted:

Oh, I'd see that.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Karl Urban vs. Predator

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

Eomer vs. Predator

:colbert:

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

Karl Urban vs. Predator

Predator vs. Alienception.

Just Karl Urban as himself vs. Preds, set in Hollywood backlots during the filming of Dredd vs. Aliens. He could use the horrible American accent from Dredd. Olivia Thirlby can join the Predators on the hunt in a bid for a Judge Hershey vs. Terminator movie. Bring back the Alien whippet and I'd like my pony right over there, please.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

It could all tie into one of my favorite terribad movies, Predators (2010).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

madeintaipei posted:

It could all tie into one of my favorite terribad movies, Predators (2010).

Predators is cool and good

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Xenomrph posted:

Over the years I've seen the rotten tomatoes score for it slowly rise. It's at 65% right now. I swear it was in the 30s a few years ago.

Good movie overall. I just love the concept tbh. The Earth's greatest warriors put in a game reserve to hunt. And not the heroic kind. Just the best people at killing. That's just neat.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Xenomrph posted:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Xenomrph posted:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
this Xenomrph guy seems to know what he's talking about

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Predators is largely good but it's dragged down by a few things:

1. I actually like Adrian Brody as Royce, I think he sells Mercenary more realistically than a lot of other actors would, but I also get why audiences refuse to buy him as an action lead (especially with the silly custom rifle/shotgun/whatever they give him).

2. Topher Grace's character being a team physician in a wilderness environment doesn't work because he's comically domesticated until the 11th hour reveal that he's been doing some dumb Dexter act the whole time. If they had put that reveal at the start of the movie-- like the very second scene he's in-- and played up that for all his problems he's still their combat medic who could treat their wounds, it would have gone a lot better.

3. Lawrence Fishburne is good, but his character as exposition dump followed by immediate betrayal doesn't work. Fishburne almost sells it with raw force of will because the man is very good at his job, but the writing and staging just isn't supporting him.

4. Super Predators are stupid. They sell them about as well as you can sell the concept, but they're still stupid. We don't have to have OG Predator on the protagonist's team to buy into the situation as serious guys.

That said pretty much everything that needs to work, works. It's about exactly as lean and stupid as you want the premise to be, it has cheap-but-solid action, all the character actors understand the assignments they've been given, and while the dialogue fanservice is a bit much the little touches like having a Green Beret bite it and using the Van Damme alien as a random encounter work really well. If anything it gets hated on way way way too much.

It's also the closest we'll ever get to a Team Fortress 2 movie, and I appreciate that.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

mind the walrus posted:

especially with the silly custom rifle/shotgun/whatever they give him).

The AA12 is dope :colbert:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

AKZ posted:

The AA12 is dope :colbert:

It is, but giving it to Adrian Brody as a sign of his modernity/cunning works against what audiences "expect" from a macho lead. They're a lot that wants what they feel is "classic" even when that's arbitrary, outdated, and/or makes no sense. It got better in the 2010s but Predator came out right in 2010.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Predators was dumb fun, but I agree with walrus on all points. I did like the nice nod to Arnie's "kill me, do it now" line.

skasion posted:

The Rock really feels like an Arnie-style action hero who improves the movie with his persona rather than detracting from it because you know it’s The Rock and he’s just gonna wisecrack and save the day.

I really did like the turn at the end of the movie where The Rock takes the serum and it turns out he's evil as poo poo. And his "Big loving Gun" line was fun. And I guess that's about as close to the game as we could have gotten for a 2005 movie. Would have been cool to see the Cyberdemon, but the Pinky was a nice touch.

Given the success of the 2016 game and sequel, I think it'd be cool if someone took a stab at another movie. Or maybe not.

The DOOM movie also holds a fond memory of childish behaviour in the theatre for me: In the scene where the Marines are clearing a hallway, there's a shot of a bunch of corpses, and some of them are missing clothes. My buddy blurted out "oh! a titty!"

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Hey boys and girls, the newest Alien comic came out, and it dropped some LORE connecting some more movie continuity together.

A couple androids get screwed over royally and during a talk if humanity sucks big Xeno facehugger wang a name gets dropped.

David

Near the end, one ask the other if they ever read their philosophy archives. This contains The Teachings of David and says thusly:

"When at last they are gone, humanity will leave behind two gifts to the universe, precious in equal measure.

Our creation and their own self-destruction".

He says a bit more but it's the usual pretentious BS he spouted. But hey David! I rather wish they ignore the two prequels and anything about them, sadly here we are.

BTW the alien/human hybrid doesn't get as Alienish as the covers showed her.

PS Predators was awesome right up until they run into Fishbourne, at that point all the momentum is lost.

Super predators and predators taking the DNA of others species to improve themselves is stupid as gently caress.

Doom = good stupid fun not meant to be taken serious.

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Feb 25, 2023

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

The Last Call posted:

PS Predators was awesome right up until they run into Fishbourne, at that point all the momentum is lost.

Super predators and predators taking the DNA of others species to improve themselves is stupid as gently caress.

Doom = good stupid fun not meant to be taken serious.

Uh, yeah. I think I agree on all of this.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Predators is largely good but it's dragged down by a few things:

1. I actually like Adrian Brody as Royce, I think he sells Mercenary more realistically than a lot of other actors would, but I also get why audiences refuse to buy him as an action lead (especially with the silly custom rifle/shotgun/whatever they give him).

2. Topher Grace's character being a team physician in a wilderness environment doesn't work because he's comically domesticated until the 11th hour reveal that he's been doing some dumb Dexter act the whole time. If they had put that reveal at the start of the movie-- like the very second scene he's in-- and played up that for all his problems he's still their combat medic who could treat their wounds, it would have gone a lot better.

3. Lawrence Fishburne is good, but his character as exposition dump followed by immediate betrayal doesn't work. Fishburne almost sells it with raw force of will because the man is very good at his job, but the writing and staging just isn't supporting him.

4. Super Predators are stupid. They sell them about as well as you can sell the concept, but they're still stupid. We don't have to have OG Predator on the protagonist's team to buy into the situation as serious guys.

That said pretty much everything that needs to work, works. It's about exactly as lean and stupid as you want the premise to be, it has cheap-but-solid action, all the character actors understand the assignments they've been given, and while the dialogue fanservice is a bit much the little touches like having a Green Beret bite it and using the Van Damme alien as a random encounter work really well. If anything it gets hated on way way way too much.

It's also the closest we'll ever get to a Team Fortress 2 movie, and I appreciate that.

Hard to disagree with most of this.

The Topher Grace character felt like an interesting idea that just didn't land - a super-dangerous person who uses their physical weakness as camouflage is an interesting idea, but the execution kind of falls flat.

Lawrence Fishburne's appearance definitely feels like the film makers had someone else in mind, that fell through, and they were like "gently caress, who's another name actor we can get?"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Over the years I've seen the rotten tomatoes score for it slowly rise. It's at 65% right now. I swear it was in the 30s a few years ago.
*puts on his old man hat* as the number of people raised exclusively on marvel movies increases so too does the percentage of people who think "unconnected cgi action setpieces placed in sequence" is synonymous with "story" or "plot".

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Splicer posted:

:hmmyes: Like the trinity

:hmmyes: Like the trinity

This is what it's like working with Irish Catholics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjhkhi0Ye6s

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

edogawa rando posted:

This is what it's like working with Irish Catholics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjhkhi0Ye6s
Ironically that link is region blocked in Ireland.

Fortunately I can quote the whole scene from memory just from the title.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Now I just want an Aliens/Father Ted cross-over.

"I hear you're a xenomorph now, Father Ted!"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Ted: "Any idea why May the 22nd should be so important?"

Dougal: "Would that be the day the Alien franchise was ruined?"

Ted: "No, Dougal. You can’t be that precise about a franchise."

Dougal: "I’ll look it up in the diary... May 22nd, on this day, eh, Galway liberated from Xenomorphs...

Johnnycake becomes cornbread...

*triumphantly* Ah ha, Ted - Alien franchise ruined."

Ted: *angrily throws down his sharp stick*

*Suddenly Father Jack bursts into the room wearing a t-shirt reading "Arcturus and Bust"*

Ted and Dougal together: "Ahhh... Holiday!"

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Feb 25, 2023

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

It turns out the xenos that appear on Craggy Island are as big as four cats, each have a retractable leg so's it can leap up at you better, they light up at night, they have four ears - two of them are for listening and two are kind of back-up ears, with claws as big as cups, and for some reason, they have a tremendous fear of stamps, they have magnets on their tails so's if you're made out of metal, it can attach itself to you, and instead of a mouth, it's got four arses.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Dougal in the reactor staring intently at a smartgun labelled "do not load".

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Feb 25, 2023

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The bishops episode except they're Weyland Yutani execs.

e: "Yes" or "That would be a question for legal"

Splicer fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Feb 25, 2023

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
:vince:

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER

Splicer posted:

Dougal in the reactor staring intently at a smartgun labelled "do not load".

Lmao

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Dougal crashes through the nest to save the soldiers, on a Craggy Island Creamery milk float.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

The "spider baby" conversation, but about facehuggers instead

"...does it have a nappy on or something?"

E: also "I hear you're an android now, Father"

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 25, 2023

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

edogawa rando posted:

The Topher Grace character felt like an interesting idea that just didn't land - a super-dangerous person who uses their physical weakness as camouflage is an interesting idea, but the execution kind of falls flat.
I forget where but I know I read about the twist well before the movie came out, and thought it was going to be a highlight, and was very surprised/disappointed that they held the reveal until the very end.

It feels like the original plan was to have Grace's character go "Ok so I'm the booksmart guy and we're clearly in a hosed up, socially engineered situation. It's better if I drop my act and let you all know that the only thing we all share in common is our ability to kill people. I'm the weakest one here and anything can kill me, but I also have the most medical knowledge in a situation where you need a medic. Look they even gave me a little combat kit. Trust me until we're out of the poo poo, then kill me later."

Then you get fun conversations like him with Walton Goggins either bonding or conflicting. Everyone gives him a wide berth except maybe the Russian guy and you can add a sort of strong guy shrewdness to their dynamic "If I am around small guy and he trusts me, he cannot run off." "But what if he poisons you." "I'll live." You could even have him help set traps or get a read on Fishburne's character early. Like, there's a lot of creative potential there that really wouldn't derail the story in any way. You can even still do the weak scene where Alice Braga and him are in a pit and he just goes "well if this is it" and creeps out at her.

But then somewhere in drafting someone was like "but if I were a serial killer on an alien planet with scary big dudes, I sure wouldn't want to tell them that I was a serial killer. They won't trust me. They might even track me down if I survive and get out of it. It's a bad idea to be honest with them." and because of R E A L I Z M they retooled it into what it was, which didn't work.

Yes I have thought a lot about this over the last 13 years why do you ask?

quote:

Lawrence Fishburne's appearance definitely feels like the film makers had someone else in mind, that fell through, and they were like "gently caress, who's another name actor we can get?"
I would love to have listened to Danny Glover turning them down. "You want me to go where? And wear what? And do what? C'mon my entire brand is being too old for poo poo like that."

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

madeintaipei posted:

Isn't there crossover comics with dredd and aliens? Not like a writing team would have nothing to start with, too.