Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There is actually a significant amount of true postgame content in Ragnarok, that you cannot do until you finish the main quest. IIRC there was nothing gated like that in 2018, you could 99% it before heading to the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CJacobs posted:

It must be seen to be believed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbpRQ2-OvCo&t=164s

It's 6 pages long. Simply marvelous.

To be mildly fair, there's three tiers of passwords you can use to bring various degrees of progress and items over.

They're 2, 4, and 6 pages long respectively.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
also it was mostly a fallback for if you were a pleb without a second handheld and a link cable

it's a bit wild to me that, despite save data being off the cartridge for generations now, it seems like cross-game carryover has mostly fallen away

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

haveblue posted:

There is actually a significant amount of true postgame content in Ragnarok, that you cannot do until you finish the main quest. IIRC there was nothing gated like that in 2018, you could 99% it before heading to the end

Depends on what you specifically classify as 'postgame'. If you do almost everything it's possible to do before the final story battle, then what you have left is basically:

- the Remnants enemy camps, which basically just exist to give you upgrade materials as a fight reward
- one related Remnant minidungeon
- a couple of collectibles you couldn't get before, with some associated story
- any Berserkers you didn't clean up on the first time through (game's Valkyrie equivalents)
- the Sigrun equivalent
- final postgame cutscene wrapup

Some people treat the Vanaheim Crater as postgame, and that's a hefty chunk, but IMO it's more fun to do it beforehand because of the dialogue. It also leaves you feeling appropriately swole for the final battle.

edit: So yeah it's definitely more than GOW2018 but you can still wrap up 98% of stuff.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

An Actual Princess posted:

the first level is great but the next string of levels are terrible. beware.

I just played through the base trilogy a month ago and tr3 was definitely the best of the lot. 2 brought a lot more qol to the table but I think the levels are just dogshit

I'm seeing what you mean, but so far my only issue with Venice is the gun enemies, especially as there aren't nearly as many health kits as in the first game, so I'm really having to abuse the save system. Found one of the secrets though, hopefully I can find the other two to get some more health items. I don't have a problem with the level's structure, and I like that the muzzle-flash of the pistols lights up the dark areas so you can get by without flares.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I could never get anywhere in The Last Revelation. I kept finding myself unsure of where to go.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
On the subject of old-school video game passwords, bisqwit has a few videos explaining some from specific games. Here’s Mega Man 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eQyYrSQPew

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Read After Burning posted:

The only ones I'm familiar with are the sandcastle codes from Banjo Kazooie. :allears:

Spending two minutes ground pounding arbitrarily placed letters with no feedback only to find out that you messed up who knows when and have to put the sentence-long code in again belongs in the other thread for sure.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Some of these passwords are much less complex than a combo in Killer Instinct

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

On the subject of old-school video game passwords, bisqwit has a few videos explaining some from specific games. Here’s Mega Man 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eQyYrSQPew

I remember doing something like this for some obscure flash game from the 2000s or something where you're doing ninja fights in first person. Muddling through the password to figure out which changes have you more kunai or put you in a further level, that sort of thing. Kinda neat to see how it worked.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Red Minjo posted:

Spending two minutes ground pounding arbitrarily placed letters with no feedback only to find out that you messed up who knows when and have to put the sentence-long code in again belongs in the other thread for sure.

to be fair they were more dev commands than actual cheat codes and were more of a backup than something intended for players to use

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
The best cheat code was kicking your Nintendo while playing a game and scrambling the palette.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

credburn posted:

The best cheat code was kicking your Nintendo while playing a game and scrambling the palette.

How about crashing Sonic 3D Blast and getting a level select screen?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The "best" thing about old school passwords and video games was poo poo like Faxanadu where it was a million letters long and a combination of uppercase and lowercase, but the font was so bad that you couldn't tell a zero from a capital o, or a capital I from a lowercase l.

Also "ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER" is a functional password in the original Metroid.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
We played Bubble Bobble so much as kids that we eventually were able to intuit how the passwords worked. I can't remember now, but back in the day if you wanted a certain level I could work the password out in my head.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I dunno if "vibes" are a little thing, but Eastshade is such a cozy game, and that includes some of the houses/inns.

Look at this cozy-rear end poo poo. :allears: I would like to stay here for a weekend.

Red Minjo posted:

Oh, god, and having to listen to that annoying voice say each letter! :sigh:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

FreshFeesh posted:

Any conversation around game passwords wouldn’t be complete without a mention of River City Ransom

(Yes that’s 6733 possible combinations)

Used to rent that game all the time. One weekend, both my cousin and I wrote down the password in a notebook. Even after doublechecking it, it still didn't work.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

CitizenKain posted:

Used to rent that game all the time. One weekend, both my cousin and I wrote down the password in a notebook. Even after doublechecking it, it still didn't work.

Probably an i/l/1/! issue, or a 0/O situation

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Someone make a password system that is just a combination of 1,I,l,!, O, and 0. Also a bunch of m and rn thrown in for good measure.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Morpheus posted:

Someone make a password system that is just a combination of 1,I,l,!, O, and 0. Also a bunch of m and rn thrown in for good measure.

M for Mancy! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNYMQpcqscA

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Morpheus posted:

In Everquest we used to make characters whose names were combinations of 1s, ls and |s. So in the chat it would just come out as ||||||||||||||: (real immature homophobic and racist poo poo here) and nobody could report us for being lovely lovely lovely stupid 13 year-olds.

credburn has a new favorite as of 22:13 on Feb 23, 2023

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

You really didn't need to admit you were part of it, y'know.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Lobok posted:

You really didn't need to admit you were part of it, y'know.

Unfortunately, they are bound by username law

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

NNNN NNNN NNNN NNNN or MMMM MMMM MMMM MMMM was a Metal Gear NES password. I forget which.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

credburn posted:

Asylum was a virtually impossible maze-based adventure game on the C64. Once I forgot to swap in my saved-games disk when loading a game; panicked, I pulled the game disk out for a moment. Much to my surprise, this caused the game to load with a poo poo-ton of very handy items in my inventory. I used that trick from that moment on (and still didn't beat the game until I found a walkthrough thirty-plus years later).

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

credburn posted:

In Everquest we used to make characters whose names were combinations of 1s, ls and |s. So in the chat it would just come out as ||||||||||||||: (real immature homophobic and racist poo poo here) and nobody could report us for being lovely lovely lovely stupid 13 year-olds.

On a more wholesome note, using lower case Ls and capital Is was a good way to, at a glance, have multiple characters with the same name in City of Heroes.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

John Murdoch posted:

On a more wholesome note, using lower case Ls and capital Is was a good way to, at a glance, have multiple characters with the same name in City of Heroes.

The only time I played City of Heroes was the free trial where we all created Agent Smiths and followed people around quoting the movie.

We were in PC Gamer!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hirayuki posted:

Asylum was a virtually impossible maze-based adventure game on the C64. Once I forgot to swap in my saved-games disk when loading a game; panicked, I pulled the game disk out for a moment. Much to my surprise, this caused the game to load with a poo poo-ton of very handy items in my inventory. I used that trick from that moment on (and still didn't beat the game until I found a walkthrough thirty-plus years later).

IIRC the Sega Genesis had a thing where if you hot swapped games you could do weird things.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

rydiafan posted:

The "best" thing about old school passwords and video games was poo poo like Faxanadu where it was a million letters long and a combination of uppercase and lowercase, but the font was so bad that you couldn't tell a zero from a capital o, or a capital I from a lowercase l.

Also "ENGAGE RIDLEY MOTHER FUCKER" is a functional password in the original Metroid.

"Functional" doing a lot of heavy lifting here
It either crashes the game immediately or softlocks you

In A Robot Named Fight, though, it unlocks boss rush mode!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

credburn posted:

Banjo-Kazooie Nuts and Bolts has a stage set inside a game console, and if you collide into the graphics card you get graphical glitches, same with the sound card and power source.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

credburn posted:

The only time I played City of Heroes was the free trial where we all created Agent Smiths and followed people around quoting the movie.

We were in PC Gamer!

More like PP Lamer.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

credburn posted:

How is that homophobic and racist?

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

grittyreboot posted:

They're saying they would type poo poo into the chat but you couldn't report them easily because parsing the username would be impossible

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
The |||||||||| naming is apparently a thing on the Starcraft 2 ladder where they're referred to as barcodes. Pro players wanted to practice builds on the ladder without revealing their tournament plans if the account got identified and other people copied it too. Cheesy players may also end up using it just so they're less likely to get countered based on the opponent recognizing their name.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

yook posted:

The |||||||||| naming is apparently a thing on the Starcraft 2 ladder where they're referred to as barcodes. Pro players wanted to practice builds on the ladder without revealing their tournament plans if the account got identified and other people copied it too. Cheesy players may also end up using it just so they're less likely to get countered based on the opponent recognizing their name.

they should have done what jerma985 did on TF2 and name themselves "goat cheese" or "umbrella dummy" or "big bald bastard" instead of enabling trolls

edit: if you can't freely change your name in starcraft and have to make a whole new account though that's fair.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

grittyreboot posted:

It's a placeholder, not a description

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC the Sega Genesis had a thing where if you hot swapped games you could do weird things.

Oh man, I forget exactly how to do it since it's been 30+ years, but I remember something like that with the 32x version of Mortal Kombat 2 and the Sega CD. I think if you plugged the cart in while a CD game was playing, it'd load the foreground elements but the background would be frozen from the CD game, so I'd do that, take a Polaroid, and drive my friends up the wall not telling them how I was finding all of these "secret stages".

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
I only noticed this recently because I've been playing Hitman's new Freelancer mode, which has taught me that sometimes you just have to blow some fuckers up and then run like hell: the exploding phone plays "Ave Maria" when you activate it, until somebody picks it up and it explodes. Of all the little (and not-so-little) callbacks and references to the games before the new trilogy, I think that's my favorite. I'd used it a few times before Freelancer came out (usually as a backup plan for Elusive Targets or similar missions), but I was almost always far enough away that I couldn't hear it or make out what the ringtone actually was, just that it was making noise and someone was about to get exploded.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU

CJacobs posted:

they should have done what jerma985 did on TF2 and name themselves "goat cheese" or "umbrella dummy" or "big bald bastard" instead of enabling trolls

edit: if you can't freely change your name in starcraft and have to make a whole new account though that's fair.
Yeah, you can only change your name once per season. The game also saves replays automatically, so once someone knows the name they can skim through their match history and pick out the games retroactively. The pool of players at that level is fairly tiny, so getting identified and the replays shared isn't too unlikely. Last time I watched a vid, the caster said there was $10k on the line for winning that individual match, let alone whatever other potential prize money from continuing on in the tournament, so there's a big cash incentive involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

I can never see "Ave Maria" anymore without remembering Dan Ryckert going "What's the name of that opera song? Eva Angelina?" :allears: