Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Tom Smykowski posted:

I remember being 5 and begging people to reveal the f word to me and I was disappointed to find out it was a word I already knew :sigh:

We watched Christmas Story all the time so I thought it was literally “fudge”

Of course I was in a house where gosh and darn were high crimes.

Btw has anyone used the new Duolingo ABC app? I did a test run with kiddo and he thought it was cool but he is too impatient to listen to instructions and just wants to button mash 😅
He’s pretty good at identifying individual letters but hasn’t really figured out what sounds they make. I learned to read VERY early so I’m not sure what’s normal for a just-turned-four year old who hasn’t started pre-k yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

CherryCola posted:

We watched Christmas Story all the time so I thought it was literally “fudge”

Of course I was in a house where gosh and darn were high crimes.

Btw has anyone used the new Duolingo ABC app? I did a test run with kiddo and he thought it was cool but he is too impatient to listen to instructions and just wants to button mash 😅
He’s pretty good at identifying individual letters but hasn’t really figured out what sounds they make. I learned to read VERY early so I’m not sure what’s normal for a just-turned-four year old who hasn’t started pre-k yet.

i think the best way to approach it, particularly before school age, is to keep at it as long as the kid shows interest but don't force it. he's four, it's okay if he stays illiterate for a little while longer.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

remigious posted:

Thank you, I really needed to hear that. All of my childless friends have made me feel crazy for wanting to rehome the dog. Like they just don’t get that it’s a big loving deal and I can’t risk this ever happening again.

I'm really late to the party on this but I did the exact same thing with my dog of 7 years when he ran across the room and bit my son on the leg because he ....laughed when he was playing with his dad. When the threshold is that low it's just untenable, no matter how stringent your management of dog/child interactions are; and I love that dog but if he bit anyone unprovoked and it landed them in hospital I would have euthanised him. Rehoming was a protective measure so he never got into a situation where euthanasia was actually on the table.

We rehomed him to an elderly couple with grandkids over 10 years old so he never had to be around small children again. He's much happier.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

My son loves playing with his magnet blocks. We started with 100 as a present a couple years ago and are now up to 400 after more presents. He always seems to run out of blocks and want more because his buildings keep getting more elaborate. We tell him to use his imagination for things he can't build either due to a lack of blocks or the unchangeable laws of physics.

He's started to say, "Daddy, I've run out of imagination. You need to buy me more blocks."

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Brawnfire posted:

My daughter is overnight at Nana's for the first time and I feel SO weird

She had a really great time and made waffles with Nana. Yay!

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

Husband gets covid:
- two kids and I don't catch it
- he stays in bed undisturbed for 3 days (albeit feeling like poo poo)
- I handle work, parenting and household without losing it

I get covid:
- spend day 1 in bed trying to finish work while husband stresses out trying to deal with work and wrangle kids who won't listen to him
- looking forward to an undisturbed day 2 in bed feeling like poo poo, but
- one kid tests positive this morning and has 0 symptoms but won't leave me alone

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Jumpsuit posted:

Husband gets covid:
- two kids and I don't catch it
- he stays in bed undisturbed for 3 days (albeit feeling like poo poo)
- I handle work, parenting and household without losing it

I get covid:
- spend day 1 in bed trying to finish work while husband stresses out trying to deal with work and wrangle kids who won't listen to him
- looking forward to an undisturbed day 2 in bed feeling like poo poo, but
- one kid tests positive this morning and has 0 symptoms but won't leave me alone

I had to take care of my kids for 10+ days solo twice because only my wife had COVID in the first instance, and then in the second instance me and both kids but not my wife got COVID.

It sucked

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Good-Natured Filth posted:

My son loves playing with his magnet blocks. We started with 100 as a present a couple years ago and are now up to 400 after more presents. He always seems to run out of blocks and want more because his buildings keep getting more elaborate. We tell him to use his imagination for things he can't build either due to a lack of blocks or the unchangeable laws of physics.

He's started to say, "Daddy, I've run out of imagination. You need to buy me more blocks."

Been thinking about getting these*, although for now we already have a large quantity of Duplo.

Are there better brands of them? There seem to be a million different "compatible" clones, but I imagine some have stronger magnets, etc.

* Partly so I can gently caress around making weird polyhedra. Small rhombicuboctahedron anyone? Small rhombicosidodecahedron maybe?

Can you get ones with decagons and octagons?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

We've been extremely lucky so far. The kid and my wife manage to fall first and I then usually get it about a week later. Thankfully that means one of is left standing to tend to the kid, cook, run errands, etc.

Not looking forward to the day we both fall ill at the same time.

Speaking of illness. As someone looking to have a second kid in the next year, how much of that first year at daycare crud immunity carries over to you as a parent? Do you end up getting sick all of the time all over again? Or is it just the second kid mostly getting sick?

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Been thinking about getting these*, although for now we already have a large quantity of Duplo.

Are there better brands of them? There seem to be a million different "compatible" clones, but I imagine some have stronger magnets, etc.

* Partly so I can gently caress around making weird polyhedra. Small rhombicuboctahedron anyone? Small rhombicosidodecahedron maybe?

MagnaTiles is the original brand and probably the highest quality. I don't have experience with those because we bought into a knock-off brand called PicassoTiles. We've been happy for the couple years we've had them.

Our sets all came with basic shapes (squares, triangles, trapezoids, etc). I'm sure there are some out there with more advanced ones, though.

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Speaking of illness. As someone looking to have a second kid in the next year, how much of that first year at daycare crud immunity carries over to you as a parent? Do you end up getting sick all of the time all over again? Or is it just the second kid mostly getting sick?

This might not answer your question but my second kid went through every daycare disease (HFM, gastro, impetigo, a billion colds) before she even started daycare at age 1 - big sister was bringing the bugs home. It was a blessing in disguise because when she started daycare her immune system was rock solid so she barely missed any days, compared to kid 1.

Second kid is also still testing negative to covid funnily enough. Although it's likely she was patient 0 and brought it home asymptomatically...

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

BaseballPCHiker posted:

We've been extremely lucky so far. The kid and my wife manage to fall first and I then usually get it about a week later. Thankfully that means one of is left standing to tend to the kid, cook, run errands, etc.

Not looking forward to the day we both fall ill at the same time.

I have found no difference in how often we are sick from one kid to two. It’s still constant. Only with two kids it’s twice as miserable.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I was a duplo/Lego household growing up. I think I had starter sets of Lincoln logs and ... Pinwheels? Round wooden circles with 8 holes

Anyways I think when my daughter was 6 months old I went overboard and bought a set of duplos because that was going to be The Thing

In reality the best "builder" toy for 2.5 years and under is magnatiles. By far. There's no dexterity needed for sticking two tiles together. It just works.

Highly recommend magna-tiles. They're the gold standard name brand. I've even stepped on a few and they didn't instantly shatter into a million pieces. My daughter is coming up on 2.5yo and can build cubes by herself now. Duplos are still a struggle

Edit: actually I got this off brand 72 piece set for...$30

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07HMZT2V2

I might buy a second one, works great. Daughter really loves the window pieces

Keep in mind you need 6 pieces to make one cube, so 72 pieces would allow for a max of 12 cubes. With the various triangle pieces you get more like 4 or 5 cubes from a 72 piece kit. You can make stuff besides cubes but... You're gonna be building a lot of cubes

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Feb 23, 2023

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008

Hadlock posted:

but... You're gonna be building a lot of cubes

Thread title

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

Yeah I was a duplo/Lego household growing up. I think I had starter sets of Lincoln logs and ... Pinwheels? Round wooden circles with 8 holes

Maybe Tinker Toys?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Fml. Had Covid from Friday-Monday. 4 year old has a stomach bug Tuesday through today.

My wife and I both woke up tonight and started violently puking.

Our 2 year old has been coughing but that’s been it.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

The name brand Magna Tiles are way higher quality than any of the others we've seen.

Knock-offs have issues like the magnets only being able to connect in certain orientations (i.e. polarity has to match), or the tolerances/sizes being off so you can't make complete shapes (e.g. the isosceles triangle piece for knock-offs doesn't fully make a 360 degree shape when you connect the right number).

The brand name ones just... work. Doesn't seem like a big deal, but when you compare them to knock-offs you can tell they put an insane amount of engineering effort in to the small details.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
We use Mag-Genius knockoffs and have no complaints, but I haven't compared them directly to the real thing.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Crescent Wrench posted:

Maybe Tinker Toys?

Yeah those. I had just enough to make like, two cubes I think so I hardly ever used them. Even as a kid they felt antiquated next to my legos and duplos

The problem with building toys is you almost always need like, 2x starter kits. As parents, you don't even want to splash out $50 for a starter kit just to find out they don't like them, and buying two kits ($100) to have enough to build with feels really excessive

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I like to attempt to build polyhedra with magnatiles while my kids build pyramids (or just "roads"). It's hard though. If you can get one complete it has enough structural integrity to withstand five seconds of "ooh!" before a tiny hand smashes through it, but usually you don't get that far because a partially built rhombicuboctahedron (or whatever) is really drat unstable.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

We love Keva planks. Expensive but my kid still plays with them at 9.5 and has for years.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Hadlock posted:

Yeah those. I had just enough to make like, two cubes I think so I hardly ever used them. Even as a kid they felt antiquated next to my legos and duplos

The problem with building toys is you almost always need like, 2x starter kits. As parents, you don't even want to splash out $50 for a starter kit just to find out they don't like them, and buying two kits ($100) to have enough to build with feels really excessive

and then

you have to clean them up

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Hadlock posted:

You can make stuff besides cubes but... You're gonna be building a lot of cubes

You eventually graduate from cubes (to essentially bigger cubes).

https://imgur.com/a/gOs8oQO

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Feb 23, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We have a bunch of those $15 fabric "collapsable" toy boxes from amazon. At first i was organizing poo poo but now I just scoop it up indiscriminately and dump toys, socks, shoes in whatever bin is closest. It still takes like, 90 seconds but i'm fine with it

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Hadlock posted:

scoop it up indiscriminately and dump toys, socks, shoes in whatever bin is closest.

Another thread title contender. This is such a universal example of the best laid plans...

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Are you guys thinking of Picasso Tiles? They're little magnet shaped things that link together to build poo poo?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

We have Magna Tiles, daycare has one of the knockoffs (pretty sure it is this set by Playvibe). I've only been able to mess with the knockoffs for a brief time, but my impression has been:

Magna Tiles have MUCH stronger magnets. You can easily hang chains of five squares down from another block, six if you are very careful and have a slightly stronger block at the top. The knock off could manage two, maybe three.

The knock off has more shape variety. As far as I can tell all Magna Tiles have sides that are multiples of the side of a standard square (with two magnets per side), but the knockoff has things like L-shapes and half-height blocks.

I am for the most part happy we have the Magna Tiles. Even though they were more expensive in terms of dollars per hour of play they probably only lose out to the cheap brio-compatible trains we bought. My only complaints are that you can't buy sets of a single type of block and the colors aren't consistent across the various sets (the red, blue, purple, green, yellow, and orange in the standard set are all much darker than the same colors in the "metropolis" set despite both having the same "Clear Colors" branding).

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
What does everyone do for summer care for school age kids?

Our day care has a school age summer program, and we have a year to figure it out. But there are also a bazillion other summer camps/etc. around here, some are like a week long and others go all summer.

Mainly curious. Day care is the obvious/easiest answer rather than trying to coordinate one or more other options, but I'm interested to see what other people do.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Hadlock posted:

We have a bunch of those $15 fabric "collapsable" toy boxes from amazon. At first i was organizing poo poo but now I just scoop it up indiscriminately and dump toys, socks, shoes in whatever bin is closest. It still takes like, 90 seconds but i'm fine with it

This post speaks to me.

Eventually we hit critical mass and I do need to sort them to some extent, but for the most part yeah the living room rug has about 3 bins of "poo poo I don't feel like putting away for real". When nobody's looking I'll fill one up with cheap garbage toys or little knick knacks from long separated sets and just dump it all directly in the trash.

My kid has way too many toys, it's a problem.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

Magna Tiles have MUCH stronger magnets. You can easily hang chains of five squares down from another block, six if you are very careful and have a slightly stronger block at the top. The knock off could manage two, maybe three.

This intrigued me, so I tested out our PicassoTiles. I was able to hang 6 square tiles before they lost their strength and started breaking apart. I think PicassoTiles are a strong contender for decent quality off-brand at a reasonable price point if you don't wanna pay premium for MagnaTiles.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

We have a blend of PicassoTiles and MagnaTiles, and other than being slightly different colors they're pretty interchangeable. Same shapes, same sizes, same general strength of magnet. But the Magna tiles do have a magnet in the center of the squares as well as two along each edge. And the edge magnets seem like they're better fixed in their housing. But the PicassoTiles are *much* cheaper, so it seems like a pretty reasonable trade off to me.

Our 4 year old is making pretty complex shapes now, it's really cool. And they're easily the most fun thing to play with as a parent.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Renegret posted:

My kid has way too many toys, it's a problem.

And yet all they want to do is take all the flip flops and put them in a line

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Fuuuck. So I’m pretty sure
It was noravirus and not just a stomach bug my kid got and passed to us because there’s reports of it hitting New Jersey and now Connecticut where I’m at.

I would much rather have Covid than this poo poo.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

nwin posted:

I would much rather have Covid than this poo poo.

I'm in a position to directly compare them because my whole family got hit with both within the space of a month. Norovirus was absolutely worse, just the most miserable I've felt in years.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

wizzardstaff posted:

I'm in a position to directly compare them because my whole family got hit with both within the space of a month. Norovirus was absolutely worse, just the most miserable I've felt in years.

I’ve had Covid twice now. The second time was just a week ago right before I got Norovirus.

I’m a teacher and my kids are in day care so I’m kinda setup for failure.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Oh good yeah news search results showing norovirus outbreaks in the NE over the last two weeks

Looking forward to making GBS threads my guts out for five days here in about a month

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

DaveSauce posted:

What does everyone do for summer care for school age kids?

Our day care has a school age summer program, and we have a year to figure it out. But there are also a bazillion other summer camps/etc. around here, some are like a week long and others go all summer.

Mainly curious. Day care is the obvious/easiest answer rather than trying to coordinate one or more other options, but I'm interested to see what other people do.

This was skipped over, but I wanted to respond. My wife stays at home, so our summers are thankfully taken care of. That being said, we have a few different offerings in our area that we would take advantage of if our situation were different: several daycares have summer care options; the local YMCA has a summer camp; and the school district offers a summer camp as well. There are also many organizations that do week-long camps throughout the summer that we could juggle around if we needed to.

I think the YMCA, school, and organizational camps are closer to school hours (8 - 3), whereas daycare supports a typical "9 to 5" job. We'll probably sign our kids up for a couple of the week-long organization based ones just to get them involved and active.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Daycare is taking a week off for Spring Break, but for only several hundred additional dollars, you can still send your kid!

Oh wait? What’s that? You’re full? It’s a game of musical chairs and due to my inattentiveness and sloth in returning the Sign Up Form the music has stopped and I am standing, chairless, with no childcare for a week? At the daycare I go to full time? gently caress

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Blood, blood blood everywhere!

I dunno how common this is for other parents, but I feel I've had to spend a lot of time wiping up nosebleeds from my boys and help them staunch them. Just now finished hosing down the sink and floor.... He'd been kicked in the nose (dose!) by his brother he confessed, apparently by mistake instead of a fight. Not the first time they have given each other nosebleeds, and the other twin has a problem with picking his nose which had me up at 5AM this morning, that was a small amount though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Parenting a high anxiety toddler is so exhausting. The recommended strategy is exposure so it’s just nonstop tantrums if we decide we aren’t going to let the OCD poo poo run our lives. And then you get the looks from other parents who have no idea how easy they have it.