Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Popete posted:

You can usually spot them because they only ever play on the Axis side.

As someone who only ever played online vs cpu I would often kind of ignore games set up with people only playing axis. Brits and yanks ftw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I played a lot of axis but I'm just a history channel millennial and not a neonazi. You can tell the difference because my username is not "SS waffen [historically accurate numbers]" and is instead a dipshit joke like "Schrecks Offender"

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Anal Fäusting

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

To be fair, allies in CoH 2 were always harder to win with. They were generally weaker, but could make up for it if they coordinated. Mostly because they could airdrop stuff to each other. Axis was they way to go if you wanted to win with pubbies.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Mordja posted:

I heard one Tommy saying, "Forget what those Yanks think, baseball is just another form of cricket!"

hes right.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So I've continued to play COH2 2v2s with my brother and it feels like they've buffed the Soviets since the last time I played, which I can dig. Their AT and heavy call-ins seem way more reliable, which was always my biggest issue with them, and Shock Troopers still wreck house. Meanwhile I don't think I've won a single UK game lol.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
UK in coh2 is fun. Strongly defensive while still being mobile is very cool. Also amazing unit banter.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
The reviews are dropping a couple of days before official release;

https://opencritic.com/game/14319/company-of-heroes-3

reviews basically indicate a solid foundation but some of the campaign map fuckery doesn't work as well as it could

good (non scored) review on vice
https://www.vice.com/en/article/93aey5/company-of-heroes-3-review

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I can see what they mean by the Germans being very passive on the campaign map, but at the same time I already feel like the campaign is going to be a slog to get through with so many missions covering an area. Not a boring slog, but still a long one. If the Germans aggressively retook ground it would probably exacerbate that a lot, and you'd be capturing territory without getting to play a second cool narrative based map.

Total war can get away with that more because the battles can be sped up to take only a few minutes if victory is pretty much assured, but you really can't tank rush CoH in the same way.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

CuddleCryptid posted:

I can see what they mean by the Germans being very passive on the campaign map, but at the same time I already feel like the campaign is going to be a slog to get through with so many missions covering an area. Not a boring slog, but still a long one. If the Germans aggressively retook ground it would probably exacerbate that a lot, and you'd be capturing territory without getting to play a second cool narrative based map.

Total war can get away with that more because the battles can be sped up to take only a few minutes if victory is pretty much assured, but you really can't tank rush CoH in the same way.

Yeah that was my thought too, I'm fine with being able to stay on the offensive.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Hey this comes out tomorrow, I pre-ordered it.

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.
Preload is available now as well

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I got the amd code thingy, still can't claim it until tomorrow :mad:

Reviews seem pretty good, not fantastic, but it's not a failure! Stoked to play the multiplayer a lot, if the campaigns decent, all the better.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I'm mostly in it for the campaign which from playing in a beta awhile back I quite enjoyed.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

For anyone more interested in the multiplayer side of things, they did a "deep dive" stream for each faction, they're saved on YouTube:

https://youtu.be/uv_U2uG7UlM

They're actually pretty interesting for getting a sense of the intended play style of each faction and the design decisions that went into them. You can tell that they really want to avoid splitting the playerbase like they did when the hardcore players bounced off CoH 2

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.
I'm pretty excited to get into the multiplayer. Never played it in the first two but i cut my teeth on SC2 multiplayer during HOTS 10 years ago and am in the mood to dive into another rts.

yorkinshire fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 22, 2023

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Some of the campaign set piece battles have been well reviewed, even if the overall can be meh. Still, Im just excited to have a new RTS multiplayer game to dive into.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I'm going to be a beast in multi-player

Against AI

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

Crazy Ferret posted:

Some of the campaign set piece battles have been well reviewed, even if the overall can be meh. Still, Im just excited to have a new RTS multiplayer game to dive into.

Same, CoH2 started meh but became one of my favorite games of all time, so I can deal with the growing pains if it means new styles of CoH to dive into and explore.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Booked the next two days off. Gonna dive into full Rommelboo mode and grind panzer elite DAK games online.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Crazy Ferret posted:

I imagine that it's going to be a lot like the the US campaign of CoH2 from what I've played. The beta didn't have a ton of setpiece maps but what they had felt similar, in the sense that you can't really put hard limits on what a player can do if there is a strategic layer that is already doing that. So you won't have matches like "snipers only" or heavy step by step narrative ones like the original COH liked.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

CuddleCryptid posted:

I'm going to be a beast in multi-player

Against AI
I'm going to get my rear end beat by the AI repeatedly and post factually incorrect hot-takes about the balance, personally

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Lol getting slammed in Steam reviews.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

V for Vegas posted:

Lol getting slammed in Steam reviews.

Lotta people saying the game is buggy and unfinished, with some couching w/r/t showing potential.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Multiplayer feels a lot more like CoH 1 (from my hazy memory) than what CoH 2 felt like (always a long slog). The graphics haven't really improved much from what I can tell and the things still blend in a bit. So far DAK feels unchanged from MP test. 2 games so far against UK. Very strong early on bullying everyone off points in T0 and T1 then falls off considerably in T2 before equalizing back up again in T3. Feels like inevitability belongs to Dak with its 600 MP Panzer 4 call in that comes with a PzJager squad but trying to hold UK mid game is hard. Marder AT guns are surprisingly bad bouncing shots off even M3s and UK AT guns picking them off at considerable range.

edit: If you are into replays Relic has a hack for that.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CompanyOfHeroes/comments/11a0fiy/replays_relic_has_posted_a_hack_with_which_to/

MikeC fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 23, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Warbadger posted:

Lotta people saying the game is buggy and unfinished, with some couching w/r/t showing potential.

So identical griping to the beta

It sounds like they didn't fix some the graphical and audio issues, which is bad, but my favorites are the ones who are complaining that AI partners aren't doing optimal plays (yeah no poo poo) and threatening to sue Relic under EU law because the game has DRM.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
so what is everyone that's played this opinion? I'm mainly interested in single player aspects. Is it as bad as the steam reviews are making out? Bad graphics etc etc?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Regarde Aduck posted:

so what is everyone that's played this opinion? I'm mainly interested in single player aspects. Is it as bad as the steam reviews are making out? Bad graphics etc etc?

MP is a banger. Its fast, VPs matter right from the start. Single player is probably a YMMV thing. I kinda feel like if you aren't into multiplayer, the campaign can be questionable given all the bug reports. The "bad graphics" thing is a bit overblown. Yes, the game isn't cutting edge looks wise but I am frantically trying to micro dudes, not staring at graphics. The style looks like all the other CoH games. Its more like poorly designed graphics with units bleeding into the terrain. It was worse in the MP beta but the improvement is marginal. Still I am not having that much trouble with it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Regarde Aduck posted:

It has good gameplay with some somewhat hosed up shaders and audio. The single player is kind of slow since it has a strategic layer to it now but "If you liked CoH2 you'll like this"

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

What if I liked coh1 and thought coh2 was a step away from the light

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

it's like CoH1, i like it

PokeJoe posted:

What if I liked coh1 and thought coh2 was a step away from the light

didnt even see this when i posted, but there you go. def closer to 1 than 2

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

CuddleCryptid posted:

It has good gameplay with some somewhat hosed up shaders and audio. The single player is kind of slow since it has a strategic layer to it now but "If you liked CoH2 you'll like this"

Oh, oh, how is the strategic layer? Is it like Dark Crusade?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

They should make a CoH Vietnam the game seems like it would lend itself well to that style of small skirmish combat

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Napalm call ins, tunnel bunkers, traps, it all works so well in the game. Relic what are you waiting for

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

THE BAR posted:

Oh, oh, how is the strategic layer? Is it like Dark Crusade?

Kind of? It's a node based map where you capture locations that provide upgrades like more squad calls ins and such; you also have things like bombers that you can call in to soften them before you attack. You don't get a lot of global bonuses though like you do in Dark Crusade.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Just played a few ai rounds, loving it. I'm someone who spent propably 800 plus hours on coh and completely skipped coh 2. If you're in it for the multi this will be great fun imo.

I started the campaign a bit and honestly already think i don't care for the strategic part at all, the normal well designed missions would have been fine imo.

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Multiplayer is good, I loved 1 and 2 a lot and this feels similar.

Games are about a minute wait time, it's still the same rush to fuel points and it's still fun. I've played about 10 games and the maps seems alright, lots of push and pull on the 3v3/4v4 maps.

I don't love some UI choices and it seems clunky at times, so just more of the same in that regard. I don't care at all about unit or avatar cosmetics either, but the actual guts of the game are still great.

Miss Lonelyhearts fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Feb 23, 2023

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I kind of want to get this on my PS5 just to play the campaign on a massive screen. But I feel I will regret not getting it on PC.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Can't talk much about the Singleplayer since I only played the first DAK mission (which was just the same level as the demo they put out last year, design is solid tho) but in terms of quantity it seems like there'll be plenty to do with both a full, linear campaign and the Total Warish one. Multiplayer's a lot of fun, a different pace from COH2, which I've been playing a lot recently, and I dig most of the redesign to the UK faction although I still think they could use a TD. I really dig their speedy little cruiser tanks that you can upgrade to a 6-pounder gun.

Graphically, it's diminishing returns from COH2, which was diminishing returns from COH1, but I think it still looks fine and actually prefer the more vibrant explosions and flames and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

V for Vegas posted:

I kind of want to get this on my PS5 just to play the campaign on a massive screen. But I feel I will regret not getting it on PC.

No shade on console players but yeah....I have no idea how people are supposed to enjoy RTS with a controller

edit: After the first 2 games vs UK, it has been perma USF rifle blobbing lol. Zooks are a nightmare for DAK light vehicles, the range is insane on those. Sticky bomb toss range is also crazy. You think it was Ichiro Suzuki firing a laser out of right field or something.

MikeC fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 23, 2023