Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

7-11 worker spotted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

I assume that when you say you're going to drive into work you mean something like this:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

mystes posted:

You're actually supposed to park outside but lots of drivers don't seem to understand that

I liked the first version of the post better tbh

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mystes posted:

I assume that when you say you're going to drive into work you mean something like this:

what

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I liked the first version of the post better tbh
I also ninja edited it so I'm not sure which version you saw but I was worried the first way I wrote it sounded too much like I was actually encouraging driving into buildings.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Don't drive your car into a business during working hours when people might be there, wait until after hours so that no one is hurt.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I love how they found a mental health professional to be like "your kid may not want to drive because of a mental illness so you need to make sure to tell them 'gently caress you you have no choice'"

Plus the general American attitude that learning to drive is an important ~life skill~ that everyone has to obtain while everyone in places that have actual public transit are probably sitting there being like "what are you even talking about?"

And acting like there's something wrong with anyone who prefers to at least be able to relax and use their phone or whatever during a commute (how childish to want to read a book on a train rather than constantly having to pay attention in bumper to bumper traffic getting stressed out every morning and evening; maybe we should ask the WSJ if this logic also apply to rich people who have chauffeurs?).

mystes has issued a correction as of 16:04 on Feb 22, 2023

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

mystes posted:

You're actually supposed to park outside but lots of drivers don't seem to understand that

But there's a bike lane in front of my office, how else am I supposed to park

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

PittTheElder posted:

But there's a bike lane in front of my office, how else am I supposed to park

you can park your car in the parking lot like a normal person OP

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
the free ride is over!!
Seattle court wants ticket scofflaws to pay up. It has to find them first

www.seattletimes.com posted:

After a nearly three-year pause, the Seattle Municipal Court began collecting on its unpaid parking and traffic tickets last month.

But it’s been so long since late notices went out in the mail — dating back to March 2020 — that many people who may owe money have since moved. As a result, thousands of slips of paper demanding payment and warning of collections are bouncing back to the court.

Of the nearly 90,000 notices sent in the first batch of collections, 15,000 were returned to the court, said spokesperson Gary Ireland, a return-to-sender rate of nearly 17%.

The tickets now being collected include traffic and parking infractions and automated enforcement at red lights and in school zones.

The biggest risk to those in debt to the court is that their tickets end up in collections, possibly without their knowledge. Because some of the tickets are automated — speeding in a school zone, for instance — it’s possible some may not even know they have a ticket if they moved shortly after the violation.

The municipal court stopped charging late fees or forwarding tickets to a collection agency as the pandemic began, in response to the immense financial uncertainty facing so many people at the time.

“We anticipated this may be an issue,” Ireland said of the bouncebacks. There are a total of nearly 350,000 outstanding tickets; Ireland said the court hopes the return rate in subsequent mailings goes down as they’re starting with the oldest tickets first.

Anyone who suspects they have a ticket can go to the court’s online portal and search by name and license plate number. For those who may owe money, and even those who end up in collections, there are options.

The court offers payment plans or the option to perform community service for anyone who might not be able to afford the ticket. Additionally, while the court initially set a deadline of Jan. 30 to appeal or challenge a ticket, Ireland said people still may schedule a hearing.

If a ticket ends up in collections without an individual ever receiving the notice, “the court will provide options by which they can resolve the ticket,” said Ireland. “This may include pulling the ticket out of collections and granting a hearing (if the individual wants to contest or mitigate the ticket) or setting up a payment or community service plan.”

People with low incomes who cannot afford their court debt can request a debt-reduction hearing, held 11 a.m. Thursdays by phone. To sign up, call 206-684-8747 or go to st.news/court.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

https://twitter.com/jarekfa/status/1628061868446167040

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiRbzJ2aQ4E

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvEik9N_xWI

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
https://twitter.com/vaughanweather/status/1628587216803971081

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Seattle drivers deeply hate the safe streets program

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

silicone thrills posted:

Seattle drivers deeply hate the safe streets program

Needs a secret bollard inside the road cone.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Ham Equity posted:

Needs a secret bollard inside the road cone.

believe me im thinkin about doing it

gonna at minimum start dropping bricks inside the cones to do more damage

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.
There's a mailbox on a busy side street near me where it was obviously hit a few times so they mounted the mailbox on a loving steel I-beam. It's going to ruin a few people's days I can feel it (one will be the home owner)

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

cars are pretty ftw

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Adjectivist Philosophy posted:

There's a mailbox on a busy side street near me where it was obviously hit a few times so they mounted the mailbox on a loving steel I-beam. It's going to ruin a few people's days I can feel it (one will be the home owner)

Someone in my town did that except with poured concrete and large boards with nails in them. Turns out that's illegal.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Know someone who solved that problem out in the rural by just buying a well made steel mailbox and welded it to a steel tube anchored a few feet down with concrete. Has had the same box for over a decade now.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

cars are pretty ftw

yeah.... for the WRECKYARD

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

You could also do something decorative like a millstone :)

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
(Dutch article) Truck rams home while mother sits inside with children: wood stove flies into children's playpen

(deepl translation)

quote:

A truck drove through a house facade on Stationsstraat in Maarheeze on Wednesday. In the process, the driver became trapped and a wood stove flew through the living room where a mother and her children were sitting at the time.

The truck, with semi-trailer, collided with the house at around 3pm. The cab drove through the facade of the house due to the impact.

When the accident happened, a mother was sitting in the room with her children. The impact sent the wood stove flying across the room and landed in the playpen of a three-month-old baby. The baby miraculously remained unhurt. The family members were checked by ambulance personnel but remained unhurt. They were taken care of nearby.

Father Paul was shopping and when he returned he saw that the truck was in the gable.

Cabin cut open
The fire brigade cut open the cab of the truck. Once the driver had space, he was able to get out of the truck by himself. He was sitting upright on a stretcher and had no visible injuries. He was taken to the hospital.

The neighbour across the road did not see the accident happen, but went to see when he heard the loud bang. ''The truck veered off the road on a straight stretch of street and drove through a front garden.''Because the vehicle was travelling on a straight road, local residents suspected that the driver had become unwell.

Enexis has come to secure the house from any leaks. A team has also come to shore up the house so that the truck can be removed from the facade.

Personally I think it's highly irresponsible of the mother to put her baby in the playpen in her own living room without high-viz clothing.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
I've seen a few homes with a raised terrace to act as a rampart against cars. A 2 foot brick wall backed by earth has a lot more stopping power than a bollard. The much easier solution is adding boulders to your yard.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Cars are loving up the world indeed

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
just put all the cars in a sealed dome and let them run until they are no longer a danger to anyone else

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Cars are not the best solution, but quite good for providing a base for corals

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Cars to plowshares

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

BonHair posted:

Cars are not the best solution, but quite good for providing a base for corals

Miami, 2040

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0_NxmPb_S4

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Roadside bins loving up the aesthetics of my conservation area!?!?!?

https://twitter.com/cocteautriplets/status/1628698060434952192

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

just declare trash cans to be a form of car and the people will treat them with awe and reverence. easy peasy

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

quote:

Woman crashes into Popeyes on Walton Way after her order was missing biscuits

One of the employees, who was standing by the entrance, was almost struck by the car during the incident, noted deputies.

The woman continued driving after hitting and entering the building until her car was stopped by debris, according to arrest warrants.

After crashing into the restaurant, the woman fled the scene, heading south on Gordon Highway, according to the report. Her car was later found at her home with front-end damage.

Prior to the incident, the manager said the woman made several threats to staff, even calling and threatening to drive her car into the building, according to the report.

https://www.newsbreak.com/augusta-ga/2934840933310-woman-crashes-into-popeyes-on-walton-way-after-her-order-was-missing-biscuits

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
If you can't use your car as a weapon against service workers then what's the point of owning a car?

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
how will our boys grow into young men if they're not honoring our one truly american coming of age rite, driving a car to pick up a McBurger and fry?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
https://twitter.com/ass_beaters/status/1627877494673010688?s=20

Nooooo! No! Noooooooooooooo

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

I was waiting for the last object to damage the car despite the bubble. disappointed!

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Spergin Morlock posted:

I was waiting for the last object to damage the car despite the bubble. disappointed!

Don't worry. It's from a WhistlinDiesel video. That car is going to get very, very damaged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Now shoot it with a bullet.