Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Imagining Rocksteady watching Gotham Knights crash and burn while going "drat, glad our game doesn't look like that!"

explosivo fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

every time a new rear end game comes out with absolutely baffling design decisions from otherwise good studios, you can smell the stink of publisher mandates from miles away

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Wiltsghost posted:

Looks exactly like Gotham Knights.

that isn't gotham knights??

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Played the demo of Cult of the Lamb, that might be a buy.

I like how it says "controller recommended" but then I think I lost 1 heart the entire demo on kb/m it just worked extremely gracefully

Cult of the Lamb is great! Intensely cute. I love building up my little cult compound.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

The 7th Guest posted:

when i pick up a gun that has 3% impact instead of 4%, that is extremely disappointing, on account of my gear score not going up, which is required to access more challenging missions to grow my character and continue the rich and engaging player experience.

*sweats nervously as a former Lost Ark player*

But also in general, this has been a thing in MMOs forever, hoping that it would stay in that corner was a foolish dream.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

victrix posted:

every time a new rear end game comes out with absolutely baffling design decisions from otherwise good studios, you can smell the stink of publisher mandates from miles away

I hope we get a good behind-the-scenes report someday, but yeah, SS:KtJL absolutely screams "WB execs forced this concept on us because they wanted to chase GaaS money, and by the time Avengers flopped, it was too late to change course."

it took WB Montreal nine years after Arkham Origins to release another title, and it'll have taken Rocksteady eight years after Arkham Knight to do the same. smells like some pretty bad mismanagement at WB Games.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Yeah I mean this pretty much sums it up for me:

https://twitter.com/GreatBriTom/status/1628877517045084163

I may as well just hit the backlog in May because both Arkane and Rocksteady, developers I've enjoyed greatly!, are releasing the same game that month.

And I fully think that Rocksteady was and is aware of how this was going to land. The founders of the studio left late last year to hopefully get out from under this but not everyone has that luxury.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1628886731851460610

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
I approached Gotham Knights as a co-op beat em up and greatly enjoyed most of it at a sale price. I'm sure I can do the same for Suicide Squad as a co-op shooter/numbers go up game.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Diephoon posted:

I approached Gotham Knights as a co-op beat em up and greatly enjoyed most of it at a sale price. I'm sure I can do the same for Suicide Squad as a co-op shooter/numbers go up game.

I haven't played it since it launched but I guess in a recent patch they fixed all the performance issues, which were terrible when it came out. Surprised they stuck with it and fixed it. I'll give it another go at some point.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

victrix posted:

I was honestly still kinda down because I still think it looks fun, and the Arkham games are so good, until the "we're gonna deliver lots of new content after the game launches including... new playable characters" and a bunch of other bullshit that's not gonna come once it bombs.

Diephoon posted:

I also thought Gotham Knights was fine for the $20 I spent on it. I enjoyed it as much as Akrham: Origins. The combat is definitely "off" feeling from the Arkham games but not horrendous.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

*kojimashly*

We're all sons of the forest now!

*shoots finger guns at baby monsters*

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Unrelated to anything else, but I'm amazed that even now there are tens of millions of people still playing Among Us every month (though Steam only shows about 5,000 a day). Gives a real sense of perspective compared to whatever seems like a big deal in gaming.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Did anyone pick up Sons of the Forest? From what I've heard it's quite close to a finished game as far as early access launches go (with the entire story and ending in) but performance is rough even on some really beefy machines.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Any major changes from the first game? I tried to get into it but I felt like I was spending forever hauling wood to make structures that didn’t even keep anyone out.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Metaprog chat: Like all things, it can be done with panache or terribly. 99% of everything is trash, and for metaprog you can slap a few 9's after the decimal place, but when it's done well it really feels natural and unobtrusive. Good: new loadouts to start the game. Bad: num-go-up, with an extra-bad of lovely 2% numbers. For power spiral on the player, some of the better games actually dump advanced content earlier into the game, so there's no fail-forwarding happening and players are kept entertained. See: Necrodancer.

But then you can do the 'bad' stuff very well like with Hades' dark mirror upgrades, but that's ok as you're now cranking up the heat anyways, and 50% of the 'gameplay' is in the dialogue so it's not supposed to be an evergreen title anyways.

It's all in the execution imo, and I say this as a staunch traditional RL player.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

metametaprogression imho

let me beat a game for a free oil change or 10 points of credit score

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

I'm pretty sure metametaprogression is just prestige mechanics from idlers/incrementals, aka:

"Complete the metaprogression tree, and then you can reset it, with a bonus allowing you to complete the metaprogression tree faster or unlock new forms of metaprogression!"

Bonus points if there's enough layers of recurring metaprogression that it eventually renders the original game entirely irrelevant.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 24, 2023

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

victrix posted:

This is reminding me of one of the favorite dumb takes in the reviews for Waves of Steel. The reviewer stated with total confidence that all the "woke bullshit" in the game's story was clearly inserted by the publishers and/or college-aged interns, because clearly the people making the actual gameplay would not have included pride flags or a diverse cast willingly.

(To be clear, I'm not making a statement on the game you're talking about, you just pinged a neuron that reminded me of a funny moment)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

This is reminding me of one of the favorite dumb takes in the reviews for Waves of Steel. The reviewer stated with total confidence that all the "woke bullshit" in the game's story was clearly inserted by the publishers and/or college-aged interns, because clearly the people making the actual gameplay would not have included pride flags or a diverse cast willingly.

(To be clear, I'm not making a statement on the game you're talking about, you just pinged a neuron that reminded me of a funny moment)

real world political idiots are exhausting enough, having their idiocy bleed directly into gaming is bonus exhausting since it's a place I go to relax

https://twitter.com/FermiGame/status/1628394185006153731?t=11nNvt3xJvMwYqS0TA9y5Q&s=19

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Even funnier is that Waves of Steel is AFAIK a single-dev indie project by goon TooMuchAbstraction (hence "TMA Games") so there's no publisher or college-age interns to forcibly insert any "woke SJW bullshit" or whatever.

E: Did not pay attention to OP's username :blush:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Truly, Subtext is for cowards

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Pocky and Rocky is out tomorrow, surprisingly

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Commander Keene posted:

Even funnier is that Waves of Steel is AFAIK a single-dev indie project by goon TooMuchAbstraction (hence "TMA Games") so there's no publisher or college-age interns to forcibly insert any "woke SJW bullshit" or whatever.

E: Did not pay attention to OP's username :blush:

There you go, TMA, you've now achieved the vaunted status of Tony Hawk.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Jossar posted:

There you go, TMA, you've now achieved the vaunted status of Tony Hawk.

this entire exchange was delightful, thank you all :allears:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

explosivo posted:

Dang I hadn't ever played a blood bowl before but was kinda interested in maybe giving this one a shot. Are the older ones worth playing still? Are they fun against AI or is it mostly for playing online with other people?

BB2 is still great and has a ton of variety

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Seems I can only do small bouts of Power Wash Simulator before I start getting carpel tunnel esqe symptoms. Lots of back and forth and up and down.

Gettin old :argh:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Seems I can only do small bouts of Power Wash Simulator before I start getting carpel tunnel esqe symptoms. Lots of back and forth and up and down.

Isn't there a setting where the water is toggled on and off instead of held down? Does that help at all?

Maybe get a vertical mouse. They ease the wrist issues pretty nicely.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Learn finger and wrist stretches too. Release that pressure. [Learned from touching lots of boxes in trucks.]

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I definitely remember getting cramps on the right side of my hand/pinky even with the auto-fire thing. Something about the smooth back and forth movement with my pinky on the mousepad to stabilize really made my hand not feel great after a session but it's so hard to stop until the job's done :ohdear:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

HopperUK posted:

Isn't there a setting where the water is toggled on and off instead of held down? Does that help at all?

Maybe get a vertical mouse. They ease the wrist issues pretty nicely.

You can fire LMB then hold and press RMB and then let go of LMB and the fire will "lock" until you next press lmb

however it's the small movements and I start to feel it in my elbow and wrist.

This is with sitting up straight in a chair, elbows on armrests slightly above wrists on the desk, feet on a foot rest. You know, years of corporate "how to sit at your desk"

it's ONLY when playing this game because the movements are quick and very repetitive, cleaning a map takes at least 30-60 minutes

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Broke: metaprogression

Woke: metaregression

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Anyone playing Gridonia on a steam deck? Found some old posts about slow load times and some people say the controller config is awkward

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I tried Sons Of The Forest, I was worried after I saw people mention it only pulls a little over 60fps on 4000-series cards but it basically runs exactly the same on my 3070 so basically it seems like you just have to be happy playing at 60fps. It's pretty cool, I love the diagetic inventory layout -- a little clunky but super immersive

Edit: which is how I feel about all the building and crafting in general. Right now it's extremely sick that crafting an item has a special animation where you actually, like, craft it out of its parts, but it will probably get old.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
I'm about three hours into Sons of the Forest with a multiplayer group and we love it. Spelunking caves, attacking cannibal camps, being stalked by a 3-legged woman, accidentally eating rotten fish, building log forts in the mountains. It's an excellent time so far and there are hints that there is almost a metroidvania aspect of the game where areas of the island are "locked" behind unique items like a shovel, zipline gun, etc.

Runs fine for me. i5 12th gen intel, 16 GB ram, 3070ti. Playing on High at 1440p. Getting pretty consistent minimum FPS of 75 that can get up to 100-105 in some areas. Never seen it above that, though. The gameplay feels complete (or nearly complete), so I'm hoping their plan is to use Early Access to focus on stability and performance

Love the error message "Can't carry any more skulls"

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

The 3-legged lady is nice! I approached her (maybe also putting away my weapon was important?) and she gave me some herbs and poo poo and then ran away

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

From a scale of Valheim to Ark, how jank is it? Might want to get the gaming group together for it.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Fruits of the sea posted:

From a scale of Valheim to Ark, how jank is it? Might want to get the gaming group together for it.

Ark. It's like Ark in the Predator universe. It has a delightful amount of jank at the moment.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I really want to like Labyrinth of Galleria: The Moon Society, but this quest structure and dungeon design is just not fun at all. :sigh: After reading a lot of opinions online too about how obtuse the game is, and its expectations of the player in order to advance the story, I am going to give up and cut my loses. Seeing a lot of comments about how it basically requires a guide to get through. I thought maybe I was just stupid, and I mean I am, but lots and lots of people saying the same thing. I really like dungeon crawlers, so I was hoping to enjoy this one, but it just is not respectful of the players time at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I've tried getting into The Forest twice, once by myself and once with a group.

The first time I got to the point where the dangerous enemies start roaming the surface and it was like that From Soft boss at the beginning where you're supposed to die unless you're lvl 1 no weapon playthrough-level kind of guy. I honestly had no idea how I was supposed to fight those things.

When we tried playing the game as a group, we've had so many game-breaking bugs where one person would just completely exit the world bounds and it was like an astral projection or something, and another person got booted out of the game and when they loaded back, they lost everything they had on them, which turned them off the game. We tried one more time later but it was really impossible to continue without running into other bugs.