Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

There's no reason for the Sharks to keep Karlsson beyond this summer. They aren't anywhere close to competing even for the playoffs and they can't just go and sign/trade for expensive players cause of Couture/Hertl/Vlasic/Karlsson +Burns retention+Jones buyout (its like 40 million for all that lol)

Its their best chance beyond dealing Meier to actually kickstart their rebuild.

Karlsson has a NMC if I'm not mistaken, so he'd have to waive it to go somewhere. He has said that he likes San Jose a lot, but do you think he'd waive for one last shot at a Cup? Especially with the horrid state of the Sharks for the next 2-3 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Today would be an awesome day for the Devils to get Meier.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Personally I hope the Devils make some weird off the wall trade for like, I dunno, Zemgus Girgensons or Ben Chiarot.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

trilljester posted:

Karlsson has a NMC if I'm not mistaken, so he'd have to waive it to go somewhere. He has said that he likes San Jose a lot, but do you think he'd waive for one last shot at a Cup? Especially with the horrid state of the Sharks for the next 2-3 years.

Karlsson has been interviewed and said he is open to be trading to the right contender for a shot at the cup.

Not much beyond that, so how big that list is is a different question.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/PierreVLeBrun/status/1628878949139767297

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Need to make a rule that states that you can only trade a player you've scratched for trade-related purposes for other players scratched for trade-related purposes, or at least put a games limit on how many games in a row you can do that for. This is silly. Not a big deal, but annoying. At least it isn't like the LTIR shenanigans and the cap hit still matters, right?

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Garnet Hathaway being held out too.

It's the right call to trade these guys and essentially throw in the towel for the season. Orlov has already had an injury this year so no need to have him aggravate it, and I still contend Hathaway is going to get a surprisingly strong return (maybe like a high second round pick or a late first) so no need to get him injured blocking a shot or fighting.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 23, 2023

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ok Holland you coward,

if he's not gonna trade for Karlsson, go and get Orlov for some picks.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Surprised to see the Caps potentially punting on the season, but they are in a grimmer position standings-wise than the Penguins are.

I don't think the Pens will bail on this season even if they lose every game leading up to the deadline but I could be wrong. Just don't see it happening though.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Ok Holland you coward,

Edmonton really is a perfect match. Orlov is good in all three zones and he can carry the puck and alleviate some pressure from their stars.

Orlov's main weakness is that he's not much of a PP guy and doesn't put up a ton of points despite having positive offensive impacts. But those are things Edmonton really shouldn't care about.

Edit: and to be honest Hathaway would be probably a good pickup for the Oilers too, assuming their depth forwards still aren't any good (I really don't know this to be honest). You really couldn't ask for much more out of a 4th liner than what Hathaway brings.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 23, 2023

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Ginette Reno posted:

Surprised to see the Caps potentially punting on the season, but they are in a grimmer position standings-wise than the Penguins are.

I don't think the Pens will bail on this season even if they lose every game leading up to the deadline but I could be wrong. Just don't see it happening though.

They don't have any sellable players even if they wanted to, except Jarry. The only pending UFAs on the roster besides Jarry are Zucker ($5.5M, no one's giving up more than like a third even if the Penguins retain half, also has a NTC), Blueger ($2.2M, just a guy), Heinen (see Blueger but cheaper!), and Dumo (management remains madly in love with him even if the NTC weren't in the way, they will probably re-sign him).

Anyway they're shopping Petry which means they're already in the process of trying to acquire a vet, almost certainly Chychrun or Kane. This offseason Zucker will walk, Jarry will get most of Zucker's money, the bottom 6 will be ineffectually shuffled, and that's it. They don't have the cap space, tradeable assets, or tradeable contracts to do much else. Next offseason Guentzel will be a UFA and it's going to take at least $10M/year to sign him, and the cap is not going to rise at all.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 23, 2023

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Pungry posted:

Need to make a rule that states that you can only trade a player you've scratched for trade-related purposes for other players scratched for trade-related purposes, or at least put a games limit on how many games in a row you can do that for. This is silly. Not a big deal, but annoying. At least it isn't like the LTIR shenanigans and the cap hit still matters, right?

Naw who cares. As Wayne said, the cap is silly and trades are fun, so anything that helps that I'm in favor of.

e: also since we are seemingly never getting international best-on-best hockey anymore, I want teams to be as stacked as possible going into the playoffs. I want the highest level of hockey that we can get.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Ok Holland you coward,

You're gonna get Hathaway for a 2nd round pick and you'll like it. Clearly the Oilers have been missing a stupid punchman since they got rid of Kassian's contract.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1628890410297790468?t=xKkvZNvhgQ8IKrvHyR7Htw&s=19

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Very smart pickup, so of course it has to be the goddamn Bruins

Bruins-Penguins in the first round now feels like fate and I haaaate it

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

That's going to be a good move for Boston. Not sure who's on their 4th line but Hathaway is probably better.

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/1628888395144478721?s=20

drat if Boston gets Orlov too that's ridiculous.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

Come to butt head

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1628891739283914752?s=20

What does Boston have to offer other than a late first overall pick?

Boston is going to be so stacked.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
the caps decided to blow it up before the penguins

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Also I wonder if Boston was waiting for Washington to sell before moving (or in this case, not moving) on Gavrikov.

edit: last tweet was false

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 24, 2023

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
Hathaway's a piece of poo poo who is a good enough skater + big enough to really injure some guys in the playoffs...annoyingly good pickup

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Mind_Taker posted:

Also I wonder if Boston was waiting for Washington to sell before moving (or in this case, not moving) on Gavrikov.

https://twitter.com/TheFourthPeriod/status/1628893462413164549?s=20

Zboril is one of the infamous Boston 3 first round duds in a row

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

WeaponX posted:

Apparently that tweet is horseshit and it's just Craig Smith + picks coming back.

Orlov also getting his salary double retained.

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/1628895322972758019?s=20

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Ugh I’ve liked orlov for a while this is terrible for the east

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Caps fleeced? Thats good. Boston better? That’s bad. Bud light hard soda seltzers are BOGO at Publix today. That’s good.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WeaponX posted:

Debrusk is good, but not as good as the other guys they could have taken.

But also Barzal is dead.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/Capitals/status/1628896067247828993?s=20

lol gently caress off MacLellan that's the best you could get for probably the best rental D on the market?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Mind_Taker posted:

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1628891739283914752?s=20

What does Boston have to offer other than a late first overall pick?

Boston is going to be so stacked.

Going to be? They've got more than double the goal dif of the next best team in the league 56 games in.

💯 going down in the first round.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

https://twitter.com/mollieewalkerr/status/1628900146380513281?s=46&t=2c988NOVGVYLsUTmo7VwmQ

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Mind_Taker posted:

https://twitter.com/Capitals/status/1628896067247828993?s=20

lol gently caress off MacLellan that's the best you could get for probably the best rental D on the market?

A 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and cap dump throw-in RW is pretty drat good man

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

https://twitter.com/stefen_rosner/status/1628899966822277120?s=46&t=EQtRxoOTX3n4ab8uyXwuTQ

Buckle up RAS, the return is going to be funny

Are Western conference teams just gonna skip the trade deadline this year? gently caress

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

The Dirty Burger posted:

https://twitter.com/stefen_rosner/status/1628899966822277120?s=46&t=EQtRxoOTX3n4ab8uyXwuTQ

Buckle up RAS, the return is going to be funny

Are Western conference teams just gonna skip the trade deadline this year? gently caress

YES!

e: I don't know who/what the hell NYIslandersNow, but they're saying:

quote:

Per the source, Rangers prospects Vitali Kravtsov and Zachary Jones are involved in the deal, with picks going to a third team to help deal with the financial burden of Kane’s $10.5 million cap hit (Up to 50 percent retained by Chicago).

I'm guessing Kravtsov/Jones/2nd to Chicago, a 4th to another team to eat half, Leschyshyn sent down, we roll with 20 dudes

DO YALL WANT A BOXC fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 24, 2023

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
It would have been funnier if no one traded for Kane, but hopefully the backup option is he goes to NYR and they lose to New Jersey in the first round (yes I know Rangers would be the favorites). gently caress Patrick Kane.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
goddamn thats a good trade for the Bruins. I genuinely cannot believe that's all it took and that the Caps couldn't get a better deal elsewhere.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 24, 2023

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006
Bruins filling some needs in a very reasonable manner.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
the only thing that'll be interesting is how Hathaway fits in, he's headshotted like three guys on the current roster and now they're teammates

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line

Jamwad Hilder posted:

goddamn thats a good trade for the Bruins. I genuinely cannot believe that's all it took and that the Caps couldn't get a better deal elsewhere.

For real, whoever pays Gavrikov’s asking price after this trade is a jabroni

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Wasn't Kravtsov highly touted not too long ago? Is he the one who hosed Off To Russia but came back?

E- and the Rags will have picked up Tarasenko only to trade for Kane anyway?

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Feb 24, 2023

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Remember when everyone wrote the Bs off at the start of the year? Yeah me too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Jamwad Hilder posted:

the only thing that'll be interesting is how Hathaway fits in, he's headshotted like three guys on the current roster and now they're teammates

that’s not how those guys think. they’ll be glad to have him so he can headshot other guys