Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

BeAuMaN posted:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/politics/article/dianne-feinstein-retires-17772199.php

The Lich is finally retiring. Who's going to get her seat? Kevin de Leon? Oh wait... :smugdog:

I choose to belive they put peanut butter on her gums and had some one dub over the lip flaps. Just like Mr Ed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Centrist Committee posted:

The Senator from Facebook

Khanna a wrote a whole book on Congress’s failure to regulate tech and offering specific proposals, but sure, whatever.

Bodhidharma
Jul 2, 2011

"virgin no more! virgin no more!" i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob
The differences between Porter, Lee, and Khanna are marginal in the grand scheme of things. The worst-case outcome in the primary is if Schiff and a random republican get through, and having three progressive candidates throw their hats in the race greatly increases the odds of this occurring. I'm supporting Porter because she actually had the guts to be the first candidate in this race to challenge Feinstein and she has high name recognition.

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

Bodhidharma posted:

The differences between Porter, Lee, and Khanna are marginal in the grand scheme of things. The worst-case outcome in the primary is if Schiff and a random republican get through, and having three progressive candidates throw their hats in the race greatly increases the odds of this occurring. I'm supporting Porter because she actually had the guts to be the first candidate in this race to challenge Feinstein and she has high name recognition.

I think I'd say Porter > Lee > Khanna.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

mllaneza posted:

Porter in the Senate would be amazing. She's got an excellent string of accomplishments in the House, so giving this woman more power will be great.

can't tell if this is sarcasm or not

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Mr Interweb posted:

can't tell if this is sarcasm or not

For the record, it's not. I've been contributing to Porter's campaigns for years now because I honestly believe she's good for America.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
There was scuttlebutt about Porter being an rear end to her office staff. Did that ever get confirmed? Because sucks

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

FilthyImp posted:

There was scuttlebutt about Porter being an rear end to her office staff. Did that ever get confirmed? Because sucks

Most of it seems to be from this Reason article... https://reason.com/2022/12/29/katie-porter-covid-staffer-sick-punished-democrat/

Centers around a staffer not following Covid protocol and getting fired after giving Katie covid.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

A close friend of mine told me today that he was considering quitting smoking soon because the state banned menthols and it took the enjoyment out of it for him. Legislative win.

yes I know smokers saying they're quitting doesn't really mean anything

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Dying from lung cancer sucks, we should ban smoking tobacco even harder.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Burning_Monk posted:

Most of it seems to be from this Reason article... https://reason.com/2022/12/29/katie-porter-covid-staffer-sick-punished-democrat/

Centers around a staffer not following Covid protocol and getting fired after giving Katie covid.

lol everything about that article was just absolute trash

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

idiotsavant posted:

lol everything about that article was just absolute trash

every time i look into "right wing" online discourse in CA politics it's like 60% office drama muckraking and 40% "CRIME CRIME CRIME CRIME CRIME LIBS SOFT ON CRIME". sometimes the ratios flip depending on the news of the day

our de facto single-party system is dysfunctional and full of problems, but dear god the other side seems to expend most of their effort between "look how awful these people are!" and "look how awful these problems are!" attack pieces that have no substance beyond "we promise, if you just eject all those awful people, we will come in and press the magic 'fix problem' button"

the backroom office politics nonsense feels like largely a distraction game

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
It's the sexism that pisses me off in these articles. We had two Congresscritters get into a literally physical altercation on the House floor who I am sure are perfect angels to their staff, but no its some dem woman that was angry about a salad or said something slightly unpleasant to a coworker once who are a problem and completely unelectable.

It's the just modern dog whistles for "shrill" and "hysterical".

Burning_Monk fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 15, 2023

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Burning_Monk posted:

good.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

VSOKUL girl posted:

every time i look into "right wing" online discourse in CA politics it's like 60% office drama muckraking and 40% "CRIME CRIME CRIME CRIME CRIME LIBS SOFT ON CRIME". sometimes the ratios flip depending on the news of the day

our de facto single-party system is dysfunctional and full of problems, but dear god the other side seems to expend most of their effort between "look how awful these people are!" and "look how awful these problems are!" attack pieces that have no substance beyond "we promise, if you just eject all those awful people, we will come in and press the magic 'fix problem' button"

the backroom office politics nonsense feels like largely a distraction game

Every single crime adjacent FB post is people from like Fresno talking about how LA is basically a post-apocalypse thunderdome where everyone is mugged and has their car stolen weekly

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
that's R/BayArea & SF too! :freep:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

luminalflux posted:

Dying from lung cancer sucks, we should ban smoking tobacco even harder.

That's the whole point of smoking dude.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Dying sucks, we should ban harder

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Ranter posted:

Dying sucks, we should ban harder

Yeah, but have you living sucks?????

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Burning_Monk posted:

Thank you so much for that, because I really wasn't looking forward to hearing 'but she's meeeeaaaaan'.

Also remember when Feinstein told a bunch of climate advocate kids 'gently caress you, you don't vote' lmao

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i shant be voting for a liberal :cheers:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Larry Parrish posted:

i shant be voting :cheers:

:evilbuddy:

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I'm voting for all the liberals and no one can stop me.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I will be voting for the liberals unless someone better slips through onto the ballot.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

drilldo squirt posted:

I'm voting for all the liberals and no one can stop me.

I can and I will!

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
no no no! Both sides are EXACTLY the Same! Stay Home! Don't VOTE! Walk Away!

-this message brought to you by the "pretend internet Marxists for Trump! 501(c)(3)"

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 17, 2023

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Keyser_Soze posted:

that's R/BayArea & SF too! :freep:

We also get reports about downtown being carpeted in feces from people who haven't ever been in that area!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

mllaneza posted:

We also get reports about downtown being carpeted in feces from people who haven't ever been in that area!

I mean the city is still full of tech bros so they aren't technically wrong.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

mllaneza posted:

LA and especially the subways are apparently several inches under excrement like that scene in Hellboy 2

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Keyser_Soze posted:

no no no! Both sides are EXACTLY the Same! Stay Home! Don't VOTE! Walk Away!

-this message brought to you by the "pretend internet Marxists for Trump! 501(c)(3)"

I don't think Trump is allowed to run in California

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

mllaneza posted:

to be fair, this bit isnt wrong

bay area dog owners are the worst fuckers, all of them. the upper class ones arguably even more so

i have never seen so much abandoned dog poo as i have on the fake grass patches around all those luxury apartments in jack london square, though the trailsides in redwood regional park are a close second

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.
The new CalCare bill has been introduced:
https://www.nationalnursesunited.org/press/california-nurses-renew-fight-for-guaranteed-health-care?akid=170351.1495244.gbSyQm&rd=1&t=1

If you are interested in making universal healthcare a reality in California, please sign up to volunteer:
https://act.medicare4all.org/signup/calcare-mfa/

It's going to be a heavy lift, but with enough grassroots pressue, it's definitely doable.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

confused posted:

The new CalCare bill has been introduced:
https://www.nationalnursesunited.org/press/california-nurses-renew-fight-for-guaranteed-health-care?akid=170351.1495244.gbSyQm&rd=1&t=1

If you are interested in making universal healthcare a reality in California, please sign up to volunteer:
https://act.medicare4all.org/signup/calcare-mfa/

It's going to be a heavy lift, but with enough grassroots pressue, it's definitely doable.

good for them. looks like the website isn't quite up to date yet, I signed up for the mailing list but most of the other links are out of date/aren't populated yet. I imagine I'll get some emails shortly when it's on track lol

confused
Oct 3, 2003

It's just business.

Hawkperson posted:

good for them. looks like the website isn't quite up to date yet, I signed up for the mailing list but most of the other links are out of date/aren't populated yet. I imagine I'll get some emails shortly when it's on track lol

They aren't the most organized of groups, but they do have a staff dedicated to the project. The next big push is to start canvassing operations in March so you should start getting emails about that over the next few weeks.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i believe someone in my chapter is keeping an eye on that so we'll have something going soon but it's not my department.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/US_Stormwatch/status/1628277871516205057
https://twitter.com/US_Stormwatch/status/1628279153685577728

poo poo's about to get real crazy

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh yeah it's a for real rear end blizzard in my part of the woods lol. It's snowing hard nice and sideways.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Larry Parrish posted:

Oh yeah it's a for real rear end blizzard in my part of the woods lol. It's snowing hard nice and sideways.

Stay safe comrade

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I knew I should have taken my vacation week and gone to Idyllwild this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I went to Monterey for vacation earlier this week and yeah I gambled and lost on the off-tourist season lol

Still fun tho