Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

ImpAtom posted:

If you miss a discussion you can look them up in the journal after

I like Castti a lot but she is very much defined as being an unstoppable unflinching force of raw mom energy.

I'd say she is the best person in the game but Partitio is I believe video game's only example of someone whose goal is to make money for entirely selfless and noble purposes and he loving owns.

Heya, I'd like some clarification. Are you saying that if you don't have the required members in your party for a skit to appear at the exact moment it gets added onto somewhere you can check it out?

Cause that was geniuenely the reason I dropped the first game, I was exhausted having to check banter guides and going back to the inn to change characters so I wouldn't miss the only sources of inter-party dialog in the game.

If they actually fixed that + the extra side chapters featuring multiple characters it might be enough for me to get the sequel if I like the demo (the question being getting it on Switch OLED for portability or PC for sweet 2k and unlimited time demo)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I thought this game came out today, but it's actually tomorrow???

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Heya, I'd like some clarification. Are you saying that if you don't have the required members in your party for a skit to appear at the exact moment it gets added onto somewhere you can check it out?

If you go into the Journal and select a character's Main Quest you can press Start (or whatever the equivalent is on your controller) to hear any conversations you've heard or would have heard but missed due to not having the proper characters active in your party at the time.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

ColdPie posted:

I thought this game came out today, but it's actually tomorrow???

looks like midnight tonight on steam but yeah

e: not even actually, fully tomorrow. Rip

MMF Freeway fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Feb 23, 2023

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Countblanc posted:

If you go into the Journal and select a character's Main Quest you can press Start (or whatever the equivalent is on your controller) to hear any conversations you've heard or would have heard but missed due to not having the proper characters active in your party at the time.

...welp, gotta try the demo then. But as I said it's gonna be hard to choose between portability and the chance of mods/nicer graphics.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

...welp, gotta try the demo then. But as I said it's gonna be hard to choose between portability and the chance of mods/nicer graphics.

The demo only has chapter 1 for every character, which doesn't have any convos because... the other characters aren't present for those events

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Can you start another character’s chapter 1 in the demo? I went to Cape Cold South or whatever but didn’t see whatever character is supposed to be there.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

idk how much better the graphics could really be on PS4/5 versus Switch considering it's just HD sprites, game looks beautiful even on the handheld. I'm curious how uprezzed stuff gets, actually

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Can you start another character’s chapter 1 in the demo? I went to Cape Cold South or whatever but didn’t see whatever character is supposed to be there.

Yes, I did Throne's and Agnea's first chapters and made it to Partitio's starting town before running out the clock.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
eta: lmao me and ^ went the exact opposite route

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

You absolutely can. I played the Switch demo, started with Partitio and got Agnea and Throne before hitting my time limit (though I didn't start Throne's Chapter 1).

Also, either Partitio's Chapter 1 is abnormally long or Agnea's is abnormally short. It took me an hour and a half to do Partitio's Chapter 1 and knocked out Agnea's in half the time.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

When exactly does the game release?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Countblanc posted:

The demo only has chapter 1 for every character, which doesn't have any convos because... the other characters aren't present for those events

Well, yeah. It's just knowing I don't have to constantly change my party in the middle of a chapter is something that actually leans me towards getting it when I didn't finish 1. I gotta try it first though :v:

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I have a steam deck now so it looks like there’s no reason not to get this for PC.

That said, I’m prooooobably gonna wait for sole reviews. I did enjoy the first one, but fell off every time right around the late chapter 2s/early chapter 3s as there didn’t feel like much story to keep me there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cause that was geniuenely the reason I dropped the first game, I was exhausted having to check banter guides and going back to the inn to change characters so I wouldn't miss the only sources of inter-party dialog in the game.

If they actually fixed that + the extra side chapters featuring multiple characters it might be enough for me to get the sequel if I like the demo (the question being getting it on Switch OLED for portability or PC for sweet 2k and unlimited time demo)

Yes. You can view all unlocked convos anytime.

Also in terms of optional jobs, with as few spoilers as possible.

One is located near New Delia and can be gotten early but some of the items to get higher ranked skills are located in later game areas.
One is located in a later game city you can run to but you need a way past a relatively strong Challenge npc. You can sleep him but it requires a rarer item. It also requires specific items to level but you can get them pretty easy.
One is located in a late game city you can only access after finishing Hikari's plot
One is located on an island you can only access after getting a ship and defeating an optional boss.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 23, 2023

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Saxophone posted:

I have a steam deck now so it looks like there’s no reason not to get this for PC.

That said, I’m prooooobably gonna wait for sole reviews. I did enjoy the first one, but fell off every time right around the late chapter 2s/early chapter 3s as there didn’t feel like much story to keep me there.

Reviews have been coming in and they seem to be going pretty well. Like 8-10 or 80-100 (depending on your scale). There's only been one 70 score that I've seen so far.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Started as Osvald, picked up Throne, Temenos, Ochette and Castti so far.

After playing the demo on PC at 4k, 60FPS on my TV and max settings there's just no way I could ever play it again on the Switch (though I'm not a huge portable game person either).

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

You can do everyone's chapter 1 and Osvald's chapter 2 in the demo. If you're on PC you can also edit your play time and realistically do all of it in the demo if you wanted to.

The demo also has the inventor class that you can obtain and it's pretty interesting. Also really drat powerful since you can buy a 290 atk axe for 55k leaves in Ochette's village :black101:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Okay then, where am I supposed to go to find the character in Cape Cold? I would like to spend my last hour of the demo doing at least one other chapter 1 instead of just wandering aimlessly.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

One is located near New Delia and can be gotten early but some of the items to get higher ranked skills are located in later game areas.
One is located in a later game city you can run to but you need a way past a relatively strong Challenge npc. You can sleep him but it requires a rarer item. It also requires specific items to level but you can get them pretty easy.
One is located in a late game city you can only access after finishing Hikari's plot
One is located on an island you can only access after getting a ship and defeating an optional boss.

Wait... You need items to get/level Skills in 2, instead of just earning and spending JP?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kheldarn posted:

Wait... You need items to get/level Skills in 2, instead of just earning and spending JP?

Only for those two jobs.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

lol I didn’t notice Osvald lying facedown in the snow while playing in handheld, immediately saw him while in tv mode.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Okay then, where am I supposed to go to find the character in Cape Cold? I would like to spend my last hour of the demo doing at least one other chapter 1 instead of just wandering aimlessly.

I think that’s Osvald right? He should be somewhat south from the little town lying on one of the sides of the road, face down on the ground iirc. I don’t remember the name of the snow area town but I had a bit of trouble finding him too at first.

Edit: looks like you found him buy the time I posted

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

When exactly does the game release?

According to this article on The Loudout
PS4/PS5/Switch: Tonight at 9:00 PM PST
PC: Unknown, but as of right now, Steam says, "This game plans to unlock in approximately 23 hours".

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
There's a minimap icon for each character's location in their starting town as well.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I made it through Osvald’s chapter 1 before I ran out of time in the demo. I guess I’ll have to wait until tomorrow to continue. I need to try to open it tomorrow morning before I go into the office so I can unlock the game, otherwise I won’t be able to play on my lunch lol

As I was saying before, the game feels like it flows a lot smoother than the first one did. Jumping from controlling the character to cutscene and back seems less disjointed. Although it might be bad once I have more characters in my party and do later chapters. I also felt like the characters in the first game were all kind of milquetoast and the stakes in the stories were relatively low, or at least presented in a way that made them seem blah, whereas the stakes are already way higher for Thronè and Osvald. So it seems like Square learned from the issues with the first game. I’m excited!

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

So is this game set in the same world as OT1 or is it completely standalone? I bounced off the first game pretty hard but the demo for 2 felt a lot more endearing.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Zaggitz posted:

So is this game set in the same world as OT1 or is it completely standalone? I bounced off the first game pretty hard but the demo for 2 felt a lot more endearing.

It's set on another continent and some indeterminate amount of time in the future. You don't need to know anything at all about the original to get into this game, it's like Final Fantasy in that regard, every game is standalone.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

…Except for FFX-2, and the XIII trilogy :v:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's set on another continent and some indeterminate amount of time in the future. You don't need to know anything at all about the original to get into this game, it's like Final Fantasy in that regard, every game is standalone.

And yet they still insist that Champions Of The Continent takes place before OT1. They really need to just say it's a seperate timeline, especially because you know they're gonna add OT2 characters to it...

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Regalingualius posted:

…Except for FFX-2, and the XIII trilogy :v:

Everyone always forgets FFXII: Revenant Wings.

Also TAY.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

Everyone always forgets FFXII: Revenant Wings.

Also TAY.

For good reason

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Decided to download the demo and play through Osvald's opening as my save carries over anyway later tonight when the full game unlocks.

Osvald's first boss is noticeably beefier than any of the first bosses in the first game. I hope this will be a trend, I enjoy when bosses are an ordeal. :)

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Decided to download the demo and play through Osvald's opening as my save carries over anyway later tonight when the full game unlocks.

Osvald's first boss is noticeably beefier than any of the first bosses in the first game. I hope this will be a trend, I enjoy when bosses are an ordeal. :)

Yeah that battle was significantly harder than Thronè’s boss even. I kept running out of SP and having to eat grapes/plums. Might be the hardest chapter 1 boss?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I swerved at the last minute and picked Hikari for my main traveler. He's just too cool for my stupid weeb heart. Also fantastically voiced. The system of dueling people to get temporary skills is fun too.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Kheldarn posted:

And yet they still insist that Champions Of The Continent takes place before OT1. They really need to just say it's a seperate timeline, especially because you know they're gonna add OT2 characters to it...

Besides any pending OT2 characters (who are likely coming in), is there anything actually contradictory? The small snippets of story I read about CotC sounded like it added stuff in new directions but nothing that outright was wrong with OT1 canon. I say this knowing very very little of the mobile game's content.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

pretty certain OT2 takes place after OT1 if only because the technology and culture in some areas is more advanced---this was part of their early interviews about the game:

quote:

With regards to the change in setting, the developers feared that setting OT2 in the same middle ages fantasy setting as the first game would result in the characters feeling like rehashes of the first game as well. By moving culture and technology ahead a bit, they felt the travelers would naturally find different reasons to travel compared to the first game as well.

Similarly, while the first game was set on a contiguous continent, this time they decided to split the world up across a sea to further distinguish it from the first game's setting.

As a rule, they tried to avoid including references to the first game or specific references to Orsterra so that anyone can enjoy OT2, but there are small elements that will remind players of the first game.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

...in 11 hours. :negative:

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
PC version hasn't unlocked yet? Well joke is on you! I am still waiting on my key! Couldn't play it even if I wanted to.

:negative:

King Cocoa Butter
Mar 24, 2021

Don't be ashy.
Really messed up that PC players won't get it until morning. Now I'll have to irresponsibly play during work tomorrow instead of irresponsibly staying up all night playing and then being unable to function at work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
All the reviews talking about how much better the writing is :dogstare:

Kinda regretting my party choice.