Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

qirex posted:

Do they have the anime cat girl voice prompts?

Yes absolutely: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a5PuLZlN5c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I’m guessing it comes up cyclically, but what are some recommendations these days for ANC headphones? I have multiple 4-8 hour plane/train trips coming up so long-term comfort and keeping out outer noise are more important than the audio quality.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I’m guessing it comes up cyclically, but what are some recommendations these days for ANC headphones? I have multiple 4-8 hour plane/train trips coming up so long-term comfort and keeping out outer noise are more important than the audio quality.

Sony XM4s are second to none when it comes to over-ear ANC. it's genuinely uncanny.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Aye, I got some for an employee for wfh based on reviews and thread recommendation of them and they’re pretty impressive especially if you’ve no cares about sound signature.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
My partner has XM3s and I like them despite being an audiophile snob. Good noise cancelling as well as sounding pretty good in their own right.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
How big is the audible difference between the Airpods Pro 1 and 2? Generally and the ANC specifically. I'm mostly curious, because I'm about need new in-ears, and since I'm knee-deep in the Apple ecosystem, might as well replace my aging Galaxy Buds with something from the other camp. I'm primarily interested in the Beats Fit Pro, because also running and such, and they're de facto Airpods Pro 1.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Combat Pretzel posted:

How big is the audible difference between the Airpods Pro 1 and 2? Generally and the ANC specifically. I'm mostly curious, because I'm about need new in-ears, and since I'm knee-deep in the Apple ecosystem, might as well replace my aging Galaxy Buds with something from the other camp. I'm primarily interested in the Beats Fit Pro, because also running and such, and they're de facto Airpods Pro 1.

The 2s are better in pretty much every conceivable way. Audio, ANC, connectivity.

They fit much the same though, so I still use Spinfit CP1025 tips on them to keep them in at the gym.

Although Googling for the model number I just saw Spinfit released new 'SuperFine' tips, so I'll probably try those too.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

I’m on the Apple ecosystem for everything besides my desktop pc, which is a pc. Im eyeing up AirPods - is it going to be a pain to pair AirPods to a windows or via Bluetooth? Is it even possible, or is it possible but with some pointless and frustrating trade off?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Not any more aggravating than pairing anything with Windows. Outside Apple stuff Airpods will just pair like any other bluetooth device.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
I've been trying to be good and not buy any more IEMs but I got bored over the holidays when I had some xmas cash and bought the TANGZU x HBB Wu planars. And now that I've had them a couple of weeks: I am glad I broke my own rules. This is the best set I own. Tuning is a clear upgrade over the other planars I own (7Hz Timeless and LETSHOUER S12), and the soundstage and imaging are just excellent. Great bass with some oomph but always maintains clarity. Good treble without the extra spiciness of the other planars I own. Also a really good build + kit, nicest case I've received so far and has a nice modular cable.

Only mild complaint is that the metal shells are sorta big and a bit heavy, and it took a while to find tips that helped me keep a stable fit. They're very well made though.

Crazy good.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

trem_two posted:

I've been trying to be good and not buy any more IEMs but I got bored over the holidays when I had some xmas cash and bought the TANGZU x HBB Wu planars. And now that I've had them a couple of weeks: I am glad I broke my own rules. This is the best set I own. Tuning is a clear upgrade over the other planars I own (7Hz Timeless and LETSHOUER S12), and the soundstage and imaging are just excellent. Great bass with some oomph but always maintains clarity. Good treble without the extra spiciness of the other planars I own. Also a really good build + kit, nicest case I've received so far and has a nice modular cable.

Only mild complaint is that the metal shells are sorta big and a bit heavy, and it took a while to find tips that helped me keep a stable fit. They're very well made though.

Crazy good.

Once you find that set you truly like its fantastic isn't it? Enjoy them for as long as possible. Ignore all the new gear releases for a couple years and use the money saved to expand your music collection.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking for a headset - I know this is more of a thread about high quality headphones, but I'd love to ask about a more casual use case.

I'm in the market for a Wireless Headset. Audio quality in and out needs to be 'decent', but definitely not amazing. These are primarily for gaming and for communicating while gaming. I'm replacing my pretty old HyperX Cloud IIs, the audio quality of which I found 'fine'. A slightly upgrade to the audio quality would be nice, but what I really need is a headset that doesn't totally suck for one reason or another.

Requirements:

• Under $500
• Headset (phones + mic)
• Wireless w/Replaceable battery (if possible)
• Not built like poo poo. I would like them to last. Astros are fine and comfortable, but my read on them is they are built like poo poo so...

I'm pretty dumb at this particular space, so let the suggestions fly!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Bose 700 probably?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Y'all with ~*too many IEMs*~, what are your storage solutions? I don't have that many (3 or 4 pairs), but one set has a small pouch (Ety ER2XRs), and the rest are just loose. I guess either more little pouches would be ok, or one of those divided tray plastic cases so I could keep all the various tips with them?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

You can get decent cases on Aliexpress and I recommend grabbing a load of those and labelling them. Fortunately more and more of the good IEMs these days come with cases, I think the only ones I care about enough to keep on hand that didn't come with a case are the Tin T2s and they're in a £2 Ali case. I've seen people use things like bead boxes to store them too but that's hella overkill imo unless you're reviewing them.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Dogen posted:

Bose 700 probably?

I should have added this to requirements, but is the response time of Bluetooth still total poo poo? If I'm playing a fighting game, am I going to notice a 'desync' between the visual and the audio?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Probably yes.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I should have added this to requirements, but is the response time of Bluetooth still total poo poo? If I'm playing a fighting game, am I going to notice a 'desync' between the visual and the audio?

Absolutely yes, bluetooth is not acceptable for gaming, especially not fighting games.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I would like a recommendation for a pair of high isolation headphones:

Budget - Let's say $50 - $200
Source - Bluetooth, 3.5mm jack optional
Isolation Requirements - High isolation I guess?, constant noises like car traffic give me anxiety, noise cancelling phones helped in the past
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - Not sure
Past Headphones -

XM004s
+ cancelled out background noise very well
- poor design, fragile, keep falling off my head (who designed these pos?)
- I loving hate things with their own apps

3M worktunes: $50
+ feel solid, sat very well on head, felt worth the money
- too much noise isolation (understandable since they're meant for construction)
- too bulky to lay down with.

Preferred Music - bossa nova, classical music, sometimes I just wear the headphones w/o music to mute out background noise.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Absolutely yes, bluetooth is not acceptable for gaming, especially not fighting games.

Of course, you can still use bluetooth headphones for gaming, despite this. I use my Bose 700s regularly. But I plug them in: I don't connect over Bluetooth when I do this.

(Even apart from the latency issue, the Bluetooth drivers on Windows are terrible.)

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I'm looking for a headset - I know this is more of a thread about high quality headphones, but I'd love to ask about a more casual use case.

I'm in the market for a Wireless Headset. Audio quality in and out needs to be 'decent', but definitely not amazing. These are primarily for gaming and for communicating while gaming. I'm replacing my pretty old HyperX Cloud IIs, the audio quality of which I found 'fine'. A slightly upgrade to the audio quality would be nice, but what I really need is a headset that doesn't totally suck for one reason or another.

Requirements:

• Under $500
• Headset (phones + mic)
• Wireless w/Replaceable battery (if possible)
• Not built like poo poo. I would like them to last. Astros are fine and comfortable, but my read on them is they are built like poo poo so...

I'm pretty dumb at this particular space, so let the suggestions fly!

Since you've got the money, wait for the Audeze Maxwell to release. I listened to a pre-production Maxwell this weekend, and it was my favorite Audeze headphone I listened to for music. The wireless connection is through some USB dongle so latency shouldn't be an issue, and it'll be console-compatible.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I'm looking to make the switch to wireless earbuds, but i have stupid ears that buds tend to fall out of. Any recommendations for something cheapish that doesn't suck, that has some way of not falling on the ground all the time?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

The Grumbles posted:

I’m on the Apple ecosystem for everything besides my desktop pc, which is a pc. Im eyeing up AirPods - is it going to be a pain to pair AirPods to a windows or via Bluetooth? Is it even possible, or is it possible but with some pointless and frustrating trade off?

I use my AirPods Pro 2 with my PC and it’s no worse than pairing any other Bluetooth device (absolutely not as seamless and “it just works” easy as AirPods do it with Apple ecosystem devices), but you can’t fully turn off the ANC without going through an Apple device, you can only switch between ANC and transparency mode.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

alnilam posted:

I'm looking to make the switch to wireless earbuds, but i have stupid ears that buds tend to fall out of. Any recommendations for something cheapish that doesn't suck, that has some way of not falling on the ground all the time?

https://www.beatsbydre.com/earphones/beats-flex ($49 at Target)

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

anatomi posted:

I hope earbuds aren't verboten in here.

I recently had to return a pair of Liberty Pro 3. I found the sound quality to be pretty drat good for bluetooth earbuds. Unfortunately, even the biggest wingtips were too small for my ears.

Do any of you know if there's something like the LP3 but with wingtips for very big ears?

grack posted:

Bose has a bunch of designs with wingtips. You could also consider earhook designs.

explosivo posted:

yeah I was going to say my QC Buds II have large wingtips in the box but I don't really feel like they do a great job helping to keep them in my ears. Unfortunately I've been reallying disappointed with the buds in pretty much every other way though and can't really recommend them at their price.
Didn't have much luck with other wingtip buds, so I ended up getting the Liberty 4s. The silicone tips are oval — haven't seen that before. Maybe it helps with forming a seal, because the buds feel pretty secure despite being an ultralight stem design.

I'm very, very happy with the sound of these, especially after letting the Soundcore app generate a custom EQ.

Don't think I'll find much use for the spatial audio or the built-in heart rate sensor, but you can't fault Soundcore for trying new things.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Oval tips have become more common since Apple used them for the Airpods Pro because everyone copies Apple. But they generally are more comfortable so I’m happy about that.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Hello thread, I'm in the market for some IEM's for low profile music/podcast listening on the work camp shuttle bus and while working out. I do like high quality music gear, especially stuff that cuts through the audiophile crap and punches above its weight.

My source will mainly be a Pixel 7 Pro, so I also need a recommendation for a good USB-C DAC/amp to go with the IEM's. I had a pair of Shure SE215's a while back that were alright, I really like the loop over the ear style cord, especially when I'm working out. I also currently have a Beyerdynamics Custom One Pro that I quite fancy that I'd like the DAC/Amp to drive as well

Budget $300-$500 all in
Music: Classical, jazz, folk, metal, DnB/EDM, Prog
Voicing: I like a more neutral/balanced sound, maybe with a slight bump in the bass end. Too much treble sibilance hurts my ears.

Thanks! :sun:

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Mederlock posted:

Hello thread, I'm in the market for some IEM's for low profile music/podcast listening on the work camp shuttle bus and while working out. I do like high quality music gear, especially stuff that cuts through the audiophile crap and punches above its weight.

My source will mainly be a Pixel 7 Pro, so I also need a recommendation for a good USB-C DAC/amp to go with the IEM's. I had a pair of Shure SE215's a while back that were alright, I really like the loop over the ear style cord, especially when I'm working out. I also currently have a Beyerdynamics Custom One Pro that I quite fancy that I'd like the DAC/Amp to drive as well

Budget $300-$500 all in
Voicing: I like a more neutral/balanced sound, maybe with a slight bump in the bass end. Too much treble sibilance hurts my ears.

You're spoiled for choice, the iem market has come a long way since the se215 was relevant.

The $8 apple dongle is great for just about everything except android, which cuts its output in half, but moondrop makes one called the "click" that is also good for $20.

My daily drivers are the 7hz Timeless, which is still well regarded but many other interesting planars have come out since. There's also the Blessing 2 Dusk which has maintained its rep as one of the best you can get around 3 hundo for a remarkably long time at this point.

e: also the sennheiser ie200 just came out which a lot of people are comparing favorably to the ie600 that costs 4 times as much

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Feb 23, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah $300-500 you're firmly in the giant neon flashing lights saying MOONDROP BLESSING 2. I haven't seen any chatter about the IE200 yet but I'd be pretty happy if Sennheiser managed to get its poo poo together with its IEMs.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'm looking at the reviews for the Blessing 2 Dusk and this seems right up my alley, thanks!

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Mederlock posted:

Budget $300-$500 all in

I'd supplement the Blessing 2 Dusk with one of the Jabra TWS sets for workouts. I love my Dusk but I wouldn't work out with it. It seems like you can one of the many Jabras as a refurb for $100 or less on eBay from Jabra directly.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Can't really go wrong with Dusk. Without a doubt, the most noticeable upgrade I made from regular headphones.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

frytechnician posted:

Can't really go wrong with Dusk.

The size/fit

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

101 posted:

The size/fit

Eh... I can kind of see that. Important to note though that my V16s are orders of magnitude chunkier but fit my ears almost like a custom job so yeah, beware the infamous Dusk nozzles I guess if you have smaller than average ears.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm a bigmclargehuge 6'-something" dude, and I believe I trended towards medium to large silicone tips in the past, so hopefully they'll fit! Ordering them this weekend. Still want to do a bit more looking around for a portable DAC/amp though, I don't mind one that's slightly bulkier if there's any improvements in build quality/sound quality to be had over the Moondrop Click which seems a little.. dainty

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Mederlock posted:

I'm a bigmclargehuge 6'-something" dude, and I believe I trended towards medium to large silicone tips in the past, so hopefully they'll fit! Ordering them this weekend. Still want to do a bit more looking around for a portable DAC/amp though, I don't mind one that's slightly bulkier if there's any improvements in build quality/sound quality to be had over the Moondrop Click which seems a little.. dainty

The Fiio BTR7 is extremely solid feeling, to the extent that I don't use it portable. If you mean dongle DACs there's a bunch of metal ones, I like the look of the TANCHJIM Space (have never heard it just think it looks solid).

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Mederlock posted:

Truthear Shio? Qudelix-5K works too in both wired and wireless modes

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Mederlock posted:

I've been using the same Apple Dongle for nearly four years now and it still works perfectly.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

SardonicTyrant posted:

I would like a recommendation for a pair of high isolation headphones:

Budget - Let's say $50 - $200
Source - Bluetooth, 3.5mm jack optional
Isolation Requirements - High isolation I guess?, constant noises like car traffic give me anxiety, noise cancelling phones helped in the past
Preferred Type of Headphone - Over ear
Preferred Tonal Balance - Not sure
Past Headphones -

XM004s
+ cancelled out background noise very well
- poor design, fragile, keep falling off my head (who designed these pos?)
- I loving hate things with their own apps

3M worktunes: $50
+ feel solid, sat very well on head, felt worth the money
- too much noise isolation (understandable since they're meant for construction)
- too bulky to lay down with.

Preferred Music - bossa nova, classical music, sometimes I just wear the headphones w/o music to mute out background noise.

I'm sorry I just wanna bump this, I'm really all thumbs when it comes to finding a decent pair of headphones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

grack posted:

I've been using the same Apple Dongle for nearly four years now and it still works perfectly.

Yeah I've heard the Apple Dongle DAC is unreasonably good for the money, but someone upthread mentioned that it's not a great choice for Android specifically. So yeah.

Godzilla07 posted:

Truthear Shio? Qudelix-5K works too in both wired and wireless modes

These both look fantastic, thanks! Appreciate all the help, friends!