Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

My wife uses one of these and hasn't destroyed it yet

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ca/waterproof-top-tube-bag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
You said cost is not a factor right?

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
Aren’t phones waterproof these days? I just throw the iPhone in the back pocket. Am I ducking up my poo poo?

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
I have a tool tube bag that holds stuff and has a plastic window on top, against which my phone is held. I can use the touch screen through the plastic, and it keeps water out in a moderate rain shower. I haven't tested it in heavy rain, though.

Annoyingly, my S21 has to be removed from its case to fit properly. And I just use a slim Speck case. I'll have to see if they make a bigger top tube bag.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Check out Loksak - I believe it's exactly what you want.

https://loksak.myshopify.com/collections/aloksak

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

amenenema posted:

Yeah, this looks promising. Thank you.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

amenenema posted:

That looks awesome, like an industrial strength ziploc.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
What’s a good place to look online for garish (ok or not, but just a good variety) bike jerseys? Also, are there any brands of bibs w suspenders sized for the very tall?

E: also this is just something I’m curious about, but what is the deal with internal hubs instead of the derailleurs? Why aren’t they more popular?

tildes fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 24, 2023

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

osker posted:

Aren’t phones waterproof these days? I just throw the iPhone in the back pocket. Am I ducking up my poo poo?

At the high end. No. Real waterproofing was mandatory when I last bought a phone, no baggies to mess around with, completely worth it.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

tildes posted:

What’s a good place to look online for garish (ok or not, but just a good variety) bike jerseys? Also, are there any brands of bibs w suspenders sized for the very tall?

E: also this is just something I’m curious about, but what is the deal with internal hubs instead of the derailleurs? Why aren’t they more popular?

Love the Pain is a very loud brand, and I looked hard at the really garish ones until I saw the prices. Not cheap. Freestyle Cycling has some paid patterns that are loud, but not especially garish. NeoPro has a couple that are a little garish or just colorful, depending on your tastes.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

tildes posted:

There's probably other reasons but afaict from personal experience they are very power inefficient, shifting is much slower and often requires you to back off the torque, and being based on planetary gears means they have suboptimal gear spacing. There are probably loads of other reasons. It is cool being able to shift to whatever gear you want while standing still though, and it is much lower maintenance.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

tarlibone posted:

Love the Pain is a very loud brand, and I looked hard at the really garish ones until I saw the prices. Not cheap. Freestyle Cycling has some paid patterns that are loud, but not especially garish. NeoPro has a couple that are a little garish or just colorful, depending on your tastes.

If you're worried about price, you can always go the aliexpress jersey route. You can find knock offs of every major cycling brand, plus a bunch of other random poo poo. They're not gonna be as well made as the real brand name ones, but I find that doesn't matter as much with jerseys. It's still a plastic shirt with lumbar pockets.

Only get aliexpress bibs if you hate yourself, and want your rear end to be as uncomfortable as possible.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

osker posted:

They’re a bit waterproof when new, but will fail eventually if subjected to rain and sweat, despite manufacturer claims.

Ask me how I know.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

tildes posted:

The good ones (i.e rohloff) are expensive. Shimano and Sturmey Archer are okay but can get quite heavy and the shifting feels very different, some would say bad. For many people, maintaining a derailer system is not that hard, and if something really fails you can replace a single component, usually without building a new wheel.

The housing can be tricky to run as it is slightly different than a derailer setup, and most frames have stops designed for derailers.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I like some of the patterns and materials used by Cafe Du Cycliste but they're on the very high end of cost.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

wooger posted:

They’re a bit waterproof when new, but will fail eventually if subjected to rain and sweat, despite manufacturer claims.

Ask me how I know.

I've been rinsing my phone in the sink if it's dirty or using it in the shower for the last 4 years and there's never been an issue. Anecdotal of course but it goes both ways

McCracAttack posted:

Does anyone have a phone wallet/dry bag they like for stowing their phone on rides? My main concern is keeping my phone/cash/id dry but also being able to check messages in a pinch. I've been using a no-name plastic dry bag but it's started falling apart.

https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/shop/rainproof-essentials-case/product/LEC05XX

I got one of these a few years ago to hold a tube, some small tools and cards/cash after my saddle bag fell off and someone took it. It's a bit pricey for a little satchel but it's never gotten damp inside and is comfy to have in my jersey pockets.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Phone wallet for a reasonable price (in the UK at least) https://www.velopac.cc/product-category/ridepac/

They’re excellent.

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

tarlibone posted:

I wish there was an affordable gravel bike with a steel frame.

Salsa Vaya? I love mine as my do it all bike. Although it did quickly kick start a hobby leading to a mountain bike, and a cargo bike…

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Jonny Quest posted:

Salsa Vaya? I love mine as my do it all bike. Although it did quickly kick start a hobby leading to a mountain bike, and a cargo bike…

It's a bit more than I want to spend. I'm looking for something in the sub-$1K range, or very close to it.

And thanks, all, for the suggestions. Here's what I've got so far.

• Marin Nicasio
    • Pros: $800 isn't a bad price, Shimano Claris 2x8 is plenty of gearing, it has a granny gear (though not much of one), available in not-black
    • Cons: Limited mounting options, the description and the specs give different tire clearance allowances
  • Marin Four Corners
    • Pros: More mounting options, Shimano Sora 3x9 with decent granny gear(s), impressive tire clearance of up to 47mm, and since my town's back roads have a lot of rough areas, so the tire options would help this be a good grocery-getter
    • Cons: a tiny bit more than I wanted to spend
  • State 4130 All Road
    • Pros: Great price, ALL the mounting points up front, snazzy color, and a $400 option that makes the price a con but gives me a different wheelset with which I can make the bike more gravel and less road (basically, an extra bike for $400)
    • Cons: The 1x11 gear set isn't a lot, there is no granny gear, & there is no rear rack mount that I can detect, which is weird because it has 42 front mounting braze-ons.
  • Surly Preamble
    • Pros: Coolest looking bike if I can get the drop bar version in that blue color, and the way these are sold makes me think that QC is likely to be better, nice available tire clearance at 44mm front/41mm rear
    • Cons: Looks like the price is a bit above where I wanted to be, fewer mounting points, 9 gears total is the least of all the ones I'm looking at and there is no granny gear

Apr 7, 2003

Is there that big a difference between 650 and 700 wheels when it comes to riding?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
You will never ever swap wheels to go on one ride vs another. As a very lazy person I know that's never going to happen. I mean come on, really? No way.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
It would be nice to have some nice big 650b tires for gravel rides and then also some 32mm 700c slicks or something for road riding.

I move wheels around a reasonable amount on both my cx and road bikes. Thankfully they all line up pretty well wrt indexing and brakes.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Salt Fish posted:

You will never ever swap wheels to go on one ride vs another. As a very lazy person I know that's never going to happen. I mean come on, really? No way.

There are people in this thread that use 2 wheelsets for their gravel bikes to convert to a road bike. It's really not that much effort.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I have a 650b wheelset and a 700c wheelset to swap between road and easy gravel and shittier roads/clowning on easy single track. Neither of these wheel sets are stock either.

The bearings on the back wheel of the 650b wheel are hosed might be time to buy a blind bearing puller and a press or just say gently caress it and get a hub that isn't salvaged off of another bike.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Just reading that I need to take a nap.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
With modern wheels and well aligned disc brakes it takes 30 seconds to swap wheels. That's my plan when I get a new gravel bike. Slicks and gravel wheels for each purpose.

Apr 7, 2003

jamal posted:

It would be nice to have some nice big 650b tires for gravel rides and then also some 32mm 700c slicks or something for road riding.

I move wheels around a reasonable amount on both my cx and road bikes. Thankfully they all line up pretty well wrt indexing and brakes.

Serious question here, is there a noticable difference to the wheel size or is it just about having another set of tires?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Serious question here, is there a noticable difference to the wheel size or is it just about having another set of tires?

Two bikes is a lot better than two wheelsets :slick:

The most noticeable difference for road is going to be tire selection, where 700c gets all the skinny racy poo poo and 650b *might* get some wider gravel tires though I think most things in that space get a 700c release in the same sizes. A smaller wheel with the same diameter tire will obviously be lighter and spin up faster

For mountain bikes you get conversation about turn radius and wheelbase vs. more easily rolling over obstacles but everything seems to be trending toward 29" these days

Apr 7, 2003

I’m a 16” wheel guy now

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

I run 35mm gravel kings and 2.1 inch Nanos and there's a hell of a lot of difference between the two.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

In the situation people are discussing you would presumably have moderate tyre clearance on the big wheels, which you would use for slicks at a reasonably high pressure, which is good for rolling fast in pavement. Whereas going to 650's would create more tyre clearance so you could have a much fatter profile tyre on there that runs at a much lower, more comfortable pressure, presumably with a more aggressive tread, both of which are better for loose and bumpy surfaces. The difference is vast and can make a road bike feel like a 90's rigid mtb.

Apr 7, 2003

That makes sense, thanks!

Apr 7, 2003

Starting to think that doing my century crushed limestone rides on panracer 700C slicks wasn't the optimal choice

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I think those state bikes fit a 27.5x2.1 too which is like, a real mountain bike tire.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Starting to think that doing my century crushed limestone rides on panracer 700C slicks wasn't the optimal choice

Not all crushed limestone is created equal.

There's a trail in my area called Nickel Plate. It's a rail-trail that goes from a big town near me to a tiny town that exists today only because there was a railroad station there 130 years ago. Anyway, about 1/3 of this trail is crushed limestone (the northern part). Those sections are smoother than some of the paved parts of the trail, and definitely smoother than most local side streets or roads for motorcars. It is slower, but except for the occasional pebble in the open areas or root or grass clump in the wooded areas, it's surprisingly smooth.

In my admittedly extremely limited experience, there's a big difference between "crushed limestone" and "gravel."

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Honestly it probably was.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Lmao

More Fred than u

Apr 7, 2003

Seventy bucks

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

You said cost is not a factor right?

The Ortlieb stuff I have has been *ridiculously* durable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ilkhan posted:

With modern wheels and well aligned disc brakes it takes 30 seconds to swap wheels. That's my plan when I get a new gravel bike. Slicks and gravel wheels for each purpose.
This highly depends on the make of your hubs