Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

il serpente cosmico posted:

I just got my PSVR2 headset yesterday. I also own a Valve Index. I am impressed overall with the PSVR2, but somehow the Index looks sharper to me despite its lower resolution. The Index definitely has a larger sweet spot with less peripheral blurriness. Plus I'm able to jack up super sampling on PC which probably helps. Are there any other reasons why this may be?

The FOV difference is also pretty noticeable.

Yeah the PSVR 2 mostly looks great but the sweet spot feels small. Even if it's using eye tracking to render high detail in the peripheral, looking in the corners feels more disorienting to me than my Rift S or even PSVR 1. It's possible I still have not hit the perfect settings though. It mostly feels good to me but I don't know if it delivers on the dream of being able to fully look around with my eyes, as the corner blur makes me still want to use my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

StarkRavingMad posted:

There's a few mods out there to skip the opening and that's the best way to go, in my opinion. I use Realm of Lorkham. There's a few other things that can bug out aside from the cart, like it's pretty common to get into the first tower room past the dragon and be unable to move or do anything and so you have to console command unlock your player to be able to move to the guy and get your bonds cut.

It generally doesn't flip out past that, but the opening is a mess in VR.

Yea it took me a bunch of hours to get it modded up this past weekend. It's just absolutely pathetic that one of the biggest companies in the industry can sell a game that is literally unplayable like that.

Cutedge
Mar 13, 2006

How can we lose so much more than we had before

State of Play had some new announcements of PSVR2 and some of them look neat.

Synapse (nDreams - Fracked, Phantom: Covert Ops): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thzuBrGbFmQ

Journey to Foundation (Archiact - Doom 3 VR (i don't hold this against them), Freediver, Marvel Dimension of Heroes): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIOIbNSTZEw

Foglands (Well Told - work for hire studio, no idea): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg4QRA30wTk

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
I admit to not reading Foundation, but I never figured Asimov a fit for so much shooty shooty

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The R in R. Daneel Olivaw stands for rifle

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Cutedge posted:

State of Play had some new announcements of PSVR2 and some of them look neat.

You missed this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62Yjl5rTXSY

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I went to the PSVR subreddit to read impressions and man that place is melting down.

Some people are getting really angry at anyone saying anything negative but even the positive posts are peppered with complaints about the reprojection, bad controller tracking, and extreme mura that makes dark scenes look really muddy.

Apparently if you look sideways in Gran Turismo the doubled images from the reprojection are like multiple feet apart.

And even with the eye tracked foveated rendering and 60fps reprojection games are still heavily undersampling the resolution of the panels.

I was actually fairly jazzed about the PSVR 2 from the previews and thinking about grabbing a PS5 and a PSVR 2 in the future but with all those issues and all their big exclusives being in constant reprojection my interest has dropped to zero.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

TIP posted:

I went to the PSVR subreddit to read impressions and man that place is melting down.

Some people are getting really angry at anyone saying anything negative but even the positive posts are peppered with complaints about the reprojection, bad controller tracking, and extreme mura that makes dark scenes look really muddy.

Apparently if you look sideways in Gran Turismo the doubled images from the reprojection are like multiple feet apart.

And even with the eye tracked foveated rendering and 60fps reprojection games are still heavily undersampling the resolution of the panels.

I was actually fairly jazzed about the PSVR 2 from the previews and thinking about grabbing a PS5 and a PSVR 2 in the future but with all those issues and all their big exclusives being in constant reprojection my interest has dropped to zero.

I see influencers who got free poo poo talking how great it is, and amazing etc.

I see non influencers who PAID for it, have complaints, regularly.

Sony did a good job buying people off thats for sure. The pokeballs they are sending influencers are dope.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

il serpente cosmico posted:

I just got my PSVR2 headset yesterday. I also own a Valve Index. I am impressed overall with the PSVR2, but somehow the Index looks sharper to me despite its lower resolution. The Index definitely has a larger sweet spot with less peripheral blurriness. Plus I'm able to jack up super sampling on PC which probably helps. Are there any other reasons why this may be?

The FOV difference is also pretty noticeable.

Saaame. Coming from an Index with a modern pc (2070s) has left me a bit disappointed with the max resolution in Call of the mountain. It’s just not quite as sharp as HL:Alyx, but like you said there’s supersampling and all sorts of things you can tweak that psvr2 just doesn’t have. It’s definitely ‘good enough’ though.

Back to tracking / ghosting chat - tried again with lots of sunshine in the room and it didn’t help with the ghosting/projection issues in CoTM. Hoping there are patches coming and it’s not an inherent flaw with the hardware or something!

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I saw an interesting setting where if you're playing with a TV in front of you, you can turn on "tracking assist" which puts a patterned frame around the content on the TV to assist with tracking. Neat.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

TIP posted:

I dunno it's not perfect but it's honestly a really impressive headset for the most part. I'm happy with it and it feels like a huge step up from my rift S.

Some of the issues people are having are real, some are user error, some are just smoke. But either way I wouldn't use redditors to make a judgment call because that website is full of dramatic clowns.

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

EbolaIvory posted:

I see influencers who got free poo poo talking how great it is, and amazing etc.

Sony did a good job buying people off thats for sure. The pokeballs they are sending influencers are dope.

can confirm i am a paid shill and the headset is actually legitimately good

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
The mura is the biggest issue I have with the hardware and it's not amazing though not a huge deal, but I just really disagree with their apparent stance that reprojection is an acceptable standard. I think it's the kind of thing that a lot of people are consciously absolutely fine with, but I think it degrades the experiences enough that people are going to feel sicker than they should and less likely to come back and keep playing stuff on it, even if it's not obvious

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

yeah, I'm not really thrilled with even the much better reprojection stuff like application space warp on Quest 2

so the idea of all the big exclusives I wanted to play being in that terrible double vision reprojection permanently is an absolute dealbreaker for me

I would much rather play in a solid 72hz than a reprojected 120

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

punished milkman posted:

can confirm i am a paid shill and the headset is actually legitimately good

Oh I bet its alright. I'm not even on the "lol bad console VR" side or w/e.

Just, the overly glowing reviews from "influencers" is pretty obvious. Like, I know these people, 100% they are only stoked on it because it was free and they got a fancy rear end package for it. Yeah they'd probably pick one up themselves but I promise those same people would have far more negative to say than they do now. I haven't heard a single one (Who got free poo poo) actually "complain" about anything.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I'm trying to fire up my PSVR2 tonight and I keep getting a 'something went wrong and your Playstation VR2 has restarted,' error over and over regardless of what I try. Soft restart, hard restart of PS5 hasn't helped, and I'm aware of the potential for the connector on the headset to get dislodged, it's in there snugly. EVERY link on Sony's troubleshooting page for PSVR2 just redirects you to a page that asks for an incident number for repair tracking.

I thought I had some PSVR2 specific settings in the Settings menus, but they seem to be gone. Perplexing as gently caress.

I am not having a very good time right now.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

5er posted:

I'm trying to fire up my PSVR2 tonight and I keep getting a 'something went wrong and your Playstation VR2 has restarted,' error over and over regardless of what I try. Soft restart, hard restart of PS5 hasn't helped, and I'm aware of the potential for the connector on the headset to get dislodged, it's in there snugly. EVERY link on Sony's troubleshooting page for PSVR2 just redirects you to a page that asks for an incident number for repair tracking.

I thought I had some PSVR2 specific settings in the Settings menus, but they seem to be gone. Perplexing as gently caress.

I am not having a very good time right now.

Try the PSVR2 thread, but also check your lights. Someone in there had a lamp that for whatever reason caused the thing to crash constantly on startup.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

What are some cheap, or ideally free, VR "experiences" for someone who isn't a gamer at all? My 60 year old mom is visiting in the near future, I think she'd get a kick out of like a virtual roller coaster ride or whatever where she can just stay seated and look around. No idea of any examples of this though

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
https://twitter.com/drgregvr/status/1628797077646897159?s=46&t=kg6OJXGDnI-iIbO9DPjIUQ

Finally some negative something!

Pretty sure he bought his XD.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
This is why I am never ever an early adopter on anything VR. People fuckin' lie when money is on the line.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Dewgy posted:

Try the PSVR2 thread, but also check your lights. Someone in there had a lamp that for whatever reason caused the thing to crash constantly on startup.

I remember reading somewhere about how the headset can be touchy about lighting. I'll see what I can do about that... thanks!

edit: trying to adjust my lighting is not helping :/ To the other thread, then.

5er fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 24, 2023

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That was me, and yeah I turned on a big fluorescent overhead light I never normally never use, because I assumed the extra lighting would be a boon for tracking, but it made the PSVR software crash every time I got to the play area part of the setup. I thought it was broken because I tried just about everything. Turning off the light and going back to my normal ambient lighting fixed it immediately. There's a non insignificant amount of people that seem to be having this issue and it always seems to be that the HMD doesn't like a light in the room, or a mirror, or a shiny TV or something. it's very stupid and Sony needs to address it immediately or there's gonna be a lot of confused, pissed off people thinking their headset is a lemon.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Sab669 posted:

What are some cheap, or ideally free, VR "experiences" for someone who isn't a gamer at all? My 60 year old mom is visiting in the near future, I think she'd get a kick out of like a virtual roller coaster ride or whatever where she can just stay seated and look around. No idea of any examples of this though

First Contact is a good one and free, as is Dreamdeck. Bigscreen is neat just to show a movie theater experience with a 3D movie. Even if she's not a gamer, she could handle Walkabout Mini Golf and that one is $15.

Don't forget that you can stream a Quest to your phone or TV if people want to spectate or give advice.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

EbolaIvory posted:

The problem right now imo is that very few people are giving the public a good idea of what it's actually like. If you want an honest take on it look at the PSVR 2 thread here, because I think everyone there has been pretty straight forward with praise, complaints and technical issues. Influencers along with Sony's marketing made it seem like it was going to be some crystal clear generational leap for VR as a whole and it's not. It's still got all the stuff we don't like about VR, but some of it has been minimized and some cool bells and whistles have been attached (the haptics are seriously cool as gently caress) Still it's way better than anything I can think of in it's price range especially if you already have a playstation. It makes my Rift S feel dated as hell immediately. Then on the other end you have people freaking out because of this and that, and half of it is people just not knowing how to troubleshoot because it's launch day, stuff like the reprojection issues get blown out of proportion to a ridiculous degree, like I have spent probably 8 hours in this thing and the idea that everything is ghosting everywhere is ridiculous. I have noticed some reprojection in Kayak game and to a much lesser extent Horizon, but the way people are talking about it itt is not representative of the actual experience at all.

Also not every positive review is a schill getting excited about their free headset, unless you feel that way about places like Digital Foundy or ACG, which normally will have no problem bashing their free toy if they don't like it.

Honestly I think waiting isn't bad idea because it's definitely got some issues right now but I can already see the hot take forming in here that it's some huge pile of poo poo and it's absolutely not. Unless you get a broken one :v: It's also absolutely not a perfect device but I am drat impressed with it overall.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

I had the exact same issue, very disappointing. I did find a workaround that fixes it- start games with the normal controller then turn on controllers only after the game is started- , but it does seem like it could have used another couple of months in the oven. Probably some faulty controller firmware or something.

Horizon’s fun, and I’ll probably pick up that Star Wars game after i finish it.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

veni veni veni posted:

That was me, and yeah I turned on a big fluorescent overhead light I never normally never use, because I assumed the extra lighting would be a boon for tracking, but it made the PSVR software crash every time I got to the play area part of the setup. I thought it was broken because I tried just about everything. Turning off the light and going back to my normal ambient lighting fixed it immediately. There's a non insignificant amount of people that seem to be having this issue and it always seems to be that the HMD doesn't like a light in the room, or a mirror, or a shiny TV or something. it's very stupid and Sony needs to address it immediately or there's gonna be a lot of confused, pissed off people thinking their headset is a lemon.

I was thinking the last 'troubleshooting' step was to get back to daylight and see if that changes anything. But seriously, if I can only play with this thing during the daytime because my room is either too bright or too dark no matter what I do, that's rather awful.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I know many of the die-hards here don't consider it to be an amazing example of a VR game (in some ways they're right) but having Alyx would have been the teaspoon of sugar for this launch to smooth over most of these launch technical and library issues. It's a big AAA game, a visual spectacle and remains mostly unplayed by the masses. Sony should have organized this, it is crazy that it didn't happen.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

5er posted:

I was thinking the last 'troubleshooting' step was to get back to daylight and see if that changes anything. But seriously, if I can only play with this thing during the daytime because my room is either too bright or too dark no matter what I do, that's rather awful.

It's only an issue during setup. I hosed around with the lights in multiple configs later and it was fine.

If you haven't got it working yet I'd suggest trying it in a different room(s) so you can at least see if it's the headset being picky or if it's actually faulty.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

First Contact is a good one and free, as is Dreamdeck. Bigscreen is neat just to show a movie theater experience with a 3D movie. Even if she's not a gamer, she could handle Walkabout Mini Golf and that one is $15.

Don't forget that you can stream a Quest to your phone or TV if people want to spectate or give advice.

Thanks; I've got my TV plugged into my PC for use as a secondary monitor, I was just going to through OBS up on that so I could watch what she's seeing

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Exactly what happened to me when playing Call of the Mountain. Had to plug the left controller in again via usb and unplug - restart the game. A very frustrating first experience.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Sab669 posted:

Thanks; I've got my TV plugged into my PC for use as a secondary monitor, I was just going to through OBS up on that so I could watch what she's seeing

I believe Steam VR and the Oculus software both let you bring up a monitoring window and it might have easier setup or better performance than OBS trying to do it. OBS is fast in most games but I'm not sure how it interacts with those VR low latency pipelines.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

SCheeseman posted:

I know many of the die-hards here don't consider it to be an amazing example of a VR game (in some ways they're right)

what would be, Boneworks? lol.

Alyx is the best VR game full stop

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

SCheeseman posted:

I know many of the die-hards here don't consider it to be an amazing example of a VR game (in some ways they're right) but having Alyx would have been the teaspoon of sugar for this launch to smooth over most of these launch technical and library issues. It's a big AAA game, a visual spectacle and remains mostly unplayed by the masses. Sony should have organized this, it is crazy that it didn't happen.

Perhaps time has healed the wounds, but Valve and Sony friendship ended in the PS3 era, where they had a bad time porting Orange Box to it and then had Sony's giant month-long data breach outage coincide with the release of Portal 2, culminating in a Gabe interview tour where he openly stated that he was done with working with them.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Super Foul Egg posted:

Perhaps time has healed the wounds, but Valve and Sony friendship ended in the PS3 era, where they had a bad time porting Orange Box to it and then had Sony's giant month-long data breach outage coincide with the release of Portal 2, culminating in a Gabe interview tour where he openly stated that he was done with working with them.

The Orange Box was farmed out to EA, who did such a hilariously bad job that these days it's impressive though they were hardly the only company putting out garbage PS3 ports.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Sab669 posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1157920/Beach_Body_Bros/

You can thank me later :frogc00l:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
My expectations for PSVR2 were I think more modest than some folks. It's a console thing for living rooms, so while it'll do what's on the box, it also needs to be durable and resilient and that comes at a cost wrt design and features.

I am expecting it to be serviceable and clever (Sony's haptics being a great example of a clever feature) but in general expecting more "tried-and-true" than "break new ground", especially for optics, etc. I wonder how it'll measure up to my expectations when I finally try it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sab669 posted:

If you've got a Quest or PSVR2, she'd probably love Puzzling Places.

AndrewP posted:

what would be, Boneworks? lol.

It's not that Alyx is a bad game (It's loving amazing overall), it's just that you can clearly tell it was designed circa 2016 and never revised with newer VR design trends in the four-year interim before its release.

By the time it came out, there were plenty of games (not just Boneworks) that did similar things better just from pure iteration and new learning experiences in the interim on how to create better immersion while still maintaining accessibility and usability for setups scaling from seated to roomscale. Eg; Holsters and inventory on your body rather than magic menus, or even just pulling a bag over shoulder to grab an item from that. That and just some outright-weird design choices for a VR experience like Designated Shooting Hand and Moving Hand. Somehow nobody in four years of development considered "Maybe people would like to move with the left hand AND shoot with the left hand too? and was so hard-baked in their controls they had to fudge a SteamVR control layout to make it work.

The Eyes Have It posted:

My expectations for PSVR2 were I think more modest than some folks. It's a console thing for living rooms, so while it'll do what's on the box, it also needs to be durable and resilient and that comes at a cost wrt design and features.

I am expecting it to be serviceable and clever (Sony's haptics being a great example of a clever feature) but in general expecting more "tried-and-true" than "break new ground", especially for optics, etc. I wonder how it'll measure up to my expectations when I finally try it.

I'm pretty happy with mine. All it needed to be is a decent inside-out tracked headset with a sizeable library of games, and they sure look to be on their way to achieving the latter. I can't speak to how prevalent issues with the headset are though, as mine's worked fine so far.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

The Eyes Have It posted:

Your name is on point cause the the eye tracking works perfectly.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I think the realities of the ps5 hardware limits are affecting the experience of psvr2. It's supposed to have something like a rtx 2070 super as gpu. That's a bit short to render games at native vr resolution, which means getting only 60 fps in the AAA games, which means having to use retroprojection to double to 120 fps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

AndrewP posted:

It's not very ambitious in regards to many of it's input/control mechanics, it plays it safe to the point that you can't even swing a crowbar because they couldn't figure out melee combat in time. Traversal is very rigid too. No climbing, mantling, anything like that.

That's about it. I liked the game.