Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It seems to be a thing with this one. There were three sleeping people in the cinema when I left my screening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gatts posted:

I am going to see the Ant Man in a couple hours…pray for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbyEVp7MjtA

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I'm not as down on this movie as most, but it had way to much exposition in the first half of the movie. It desperately needed better pacing, or at least a better initial hook.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Instead of making this an Ant-Man movie, they should've made it about a new character that Kang could kill. This is a multiversal traveler who built an entire civilization out of nothing with vague powers and he gets less than five minutes of character development.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

live with fruit posted:

Instead of making this an Ant-Man movie, they should've made it about a new character that Kang could kill. This is a multiversal traveler who built an entire civilization out of nothing with vague powers and he gets less than five minutes of character development.

If only...

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

"the focus group tests are in, no one is interested in football guy!"

"oh gently caress.. uhh just add spider-man to the cover, I dunno"

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
RIP to captain america, died in '91

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Gavok posted:

If only...

Brian Bosworth was born too early...

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Loved the movie, as an ant-keeper myself this film was basically made for me.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I saw it. It was alright. I liked some of it such as giving Douglas and Michele their moments and screen time, liked Majors, even Cassie, the blob with no holes, the ants. But MODOK looked awful and the effects were spotty and could have used a better plot points. Now I can forget about it. I think…nah I can and shouldn’t over think it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

CharlestonJew posted:

RIP to captain america, died in '91

He doesn't even know what Myspace is!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Something kinda distinctly feeling like a mix of Star Wars and Doctor Who, I kinda like how the film like a mix of a bunch of different scifi series and concepts. Kang's troops kinda reminded me of Cybermen.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
At first I was excited cause I thought they were doing a Star Trek and then I was disappointed cause they did a Star War.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

live with fruit posted:

At first I was excited cause I thought they were doing a Star Trek and then I was disappointed cause they did a Star War.

Insofar as people do kinda legitimately do use these series as short hands for different kinds of stories yeah.

Overthrowing a dictators empire which oppresses a multicultural melting pot of different people's and cultures is the entire premise of Star Wars, and destroying the villains supeeweapon is a key core subplot that reoccurs.

While in Star Trek that's actually illegal.

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.
It's official: Cocaine Bear has killed the Marvel Cinematic Universe, as we all knew it would

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1629518038792908802?s=19

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Thank u cokey

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Saw this today and enjoyed it well enough. MODOK was the best part of the movie actually. Which probably speaks to the overall quality, but still it had me laughing.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011
Holy moly that was aggressively bad.

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!
An absolute misfire even from the conceptual level. The whole appeal of Ant-Man is surely "small thing is now big, big thing is now small", so instead they set it in yet another generic CGI floaty rock space place so the audience has no sense of scale, and turn the moderately interesting big/small set pieces into generic punching, and then they do that thing with 800 false climaxes that sucks the tension out of everything and oh god so much bad CGI and people running in front of green screens.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Do kids even love these movies?

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Skulker posted:

An absolute misfire even from the conceptual level. The whole appeal of Ant-Man is surely "small thing is now big, big thing is now small", so instead they set it in yet another generic CGI floaty rock space place so the audience has no sense of scale, and turn the moderately interesting big/small set pieces into generic punching, and then they do that thing with 800 false climaxes that sucks the tension out of everything and oh god so much bad CGI and people running in front of green screens.

This was especially bad in that Scott/Cassie "We are huge!" scene. The CGI background scene didn't look like anything so it was impossible to measure that they were infact huge.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

toggle posted:

Do kids even love these movies?

Both my partner and I said that this movie was on par with cheaply made poo poo for our 4 year old, but if she tried watching this she'd be bored out of her mind

Pingiivi posted:

This was especially bad in that Scott/Cassie "We are huge!" scene. The CGI background scene didn't look like anything so it was impossible to measure that they were infact huge.
Why could no one decide if they wanted their helmets on or off? What are even the rules anymore?

Jesus what a dumb movie. And I've actually liked some of Marvel's more poorly received stuff.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

MokBa posted:

Saw this today and enjoyed it well enough. MODOK was the best part of the movie actually. Which probably speaks to the overall quality, but still it had me laughing.

Yeah, I cracked up when I saw him. They put MODOK in a movie! They're out of control!

This was light and fun, never had time to stop and wonder about problems, it's QUANTUMANIA stuff.
Didn't necessarily expect much, but it was a fun ride and we both laughed a few times. Course we got super high beforehand, but ultimately positive experience.

Last mcu movie I saw in theaters was sort of a dissapointment (BPWF) because I wanted/expected to take it more seriously, but who expects to take ant man seriously?

Also scott Lang and I count holes in our head at nearly the same rate.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

69% drop from last week with Cocaine Bear of all things chewing into profits. Ack.

Ant-Man is facing the worst second-week box-office drop in MCU history
https://www.avclub.com/ant-man-is-facing-the-worst-second-week-box-office-drop-1850160138

"(Variety goes on to note that it’s a pretty massive shrink even outside the bounds of the MCU; the only other movie to ever open apparently above $100 million one weekend, and then drop more than 70 percent the next, was Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows - Part 2.)"

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Vintersorg posted:

69% drop from last week with Cocaine Bear of all things chewing into profits. Ack.

Ant-Man is facing the worst second-week box-office drop in MCU history
https://www.avclub.com/ant-man-is-facing-the-worst-second-week-box-office-drop-1850160138

"(Variety goes on to note that it’s a pretty massive shrink even outside the bounds of the MCU; the only other movie to ever open apparently above $100 million one weekend, and then drop more than 70 percent the next, was Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows - Part 2.)"

Clearly Marvel needs to bring Cocaine Bear into the MCU, maybe with Hit Monkey vs. Cocaine Bear (figure at least there would be less mommy issues than with Captain America: Civil War or Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Martha) before the inevitable team up.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I liked the kinda video gamey set piece scenes where Scott is huge but "doing stuff" in the background, like in those War for Cybertron games; that was cool. Helped sell the fighting as an actual big battle.

BRJurgis posted:

Also scott Lang and I count holes in our head at nearly the same rate.

Oh yeah same here, that scene was really funny for this and weirdly engaging for relatable moments like this.

I felt very happy for Scott when it turned out Grandpa Ant Man read his silly book, that made me smile.

I actually kinda wonder if Scott is actually not really "meant" in previous or other timelines to exist as Ant-Man, because Kang perhaps incorrectly, refers to him as the "talks to Ants" super hero but Scott as Ant-Man doesn't really do that except sparingly and not as much of a deliberate strategy like either Hope or Hope's Dad. And maybe to Kang he actually thought Scott was Hank? (Because Variants can look different?) Food for thought.

Maybe because of how Loki S1 set things up but I'm still coming off of this was pretty much one of the funnest post Phase 3 films; I was okay with Thor: L&T, it had its moments and was fun, but ultimately felt kinda weightless and empty as a film; and some of the deleted scenes further disappointed me retroactively. The Zeus deleted scene of "Anything can be a lightning bolt" felt like such a much stronger scene to me and the meeting with the gods just didn't feel substantial. I suppose I can reason what they're going for with it but it ends up feeling very meh.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Raenir Salazar posted:

I liked the kinda video gamey set piece scenes where Scott is huge but "doing stuff" in the background, like in those War for Cybertron games; that was cool. Helped sell the fighting as an actual big battle.

Oh yeah same here, that scene was really funny for this and weirdly engaging for relatable moments like this.

I felt very happy for Scott when it turned out Grandpa Ant Man read his silly book, that made me smile.

I actually kinda wonder if Scott is actually not really "meant" in previous or other timelines to exist as Ant-Man, because Kang perhaps incorrectly, refers to him as the "talks to Ants" super hero but Scott as Ant-Man doesn't really do that except sparingly and not as much of a deliberate strategy like either Hope or Hope's Dad. And maybe to Kang he actually thought Scott was Hank? (Because Variants can look different?) Food for thought.

Maybe because of how Loki S1 set things up but I'm still coming off of this was pretty much one of the funnest post Phase 3 films; I was okay with Thor: L&T, it had its moments and was fun, but ultimately felt kinda weightless and empty as a film; and some of the deleted scenes further disappointed me retroactively. The Zeus deleted scene of "Anything can be a lightning bolt" felt like such a much stronger scene to me and the meeting with the gods just didn't feel substantial. I suppose I can reason what they're going for with it but it ends up feeling very meh.

I'm going to have to bite the bullet and watch A&W:Q pretty soon. I've been waiting for a Tuesday matinee (our theater has $5.00 movies on Tuesdays) but my work schedule has been kind of loving me there.

I liked T:L&T in watching it, but my reaction to the god meeting was pretty much, "drat, that was a serious waste of Russell Crowe."

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Everyone posted:

I'm going to have to bite the bullet and watch A&W:Q pretty soon. I've been waiting for a Tuesday matinee (our theater has $5.00 movies on Tuesdays) but my work schedule has been kind of loving me there.

I liked T:L&T in watching it, but my reaction to the god meeting was pretty much, "drat, that was a serious waste of Russell Crowe."

Yeah, I love it when a character who "seems" weak and lazy but when they Get Serious are a real threat and I was expecting something like that with Zeus and then it just never happened. It would've been better if it turned out he just pretended to let himself get hit and was actually secretly hoping for Thor to take matters into his own hands or something because of Obscure God Things that come up in a later film or something and then get that other vastly better scene and it turns out Thor is actually in no way a match for Zeus or something but he can't act so he puts things into Thors hand. :(

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Raenir Salazar posted:

Yeah, I love it when a character who "seems" weak and lazy but when they Get Serious are a real threat and I was expecting something like that with Zeus and then it just never happened. It would've been better if it turned out he just pretended to let himself get hit and was actually secretly hoping for Thor to take matters into his own hands or something because of Obscure God Things that come up in a later film or something and then get that other vastly better scene and it turns out Thor is actually in no way a match for Zeus or something but he can't act so he puts things into Thors hand. :(

That would have made a little more sense. I mean, Zeus is basically the Greek god version of Odin. I don't see Thor one-shotting Odin, so he probably shouldn't have been able to do that to Zeus, without Zeus choosing to let it happen. And especially not with Zeus's own Thunderbolt.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

Everyone posted:

That would have made a little more sense. I mean, Zeus is basically the Greek god version of Odin. I don't see Thor one-shotting Odin, so he probably shouldn't have been able to do that to Zeus, without Zeus choosing to let it happen. And especially not with Zeus's own Thunderbolt.

I felt like Zeus-bolt subverted (at least my) expectations considering the comics, and I was ready to accept that the marvel pantheon had gotten complacent and absent (and, yknow, taika waititi guns an roses energy). The thing at the end felt as much as a validation of the comics powerlevel poo poo as it did an introduction of a new char.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Everyone posted:

Pretty sure they only got Crowe to do it by convincing him he'd get to throw thunderbolts at Jews.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

BRJurgis posted:

I felt like Zeus-bolt subverted (at least my) expectations considering the comics, and I was ready to accept that the marvel pantheon had gotten complacent and absent (and, yknow, taika waititi guns an roses energy). The thing at the end felt as much as a validation of the comics powerlevel poo poo as it did an introduction of a new char.

Yeah this is what I mean in that "I think I get what they're going for" but that doesn't mean it wasn't less disappointing though; because instead of expanding their world building it just felt kinda thin. In comparison to like, the Egyptian pantheon in Moon Knight which feels a little more fleshed out. It made me want to know more about them, especially since they seemed almost like a homage to Stargate and the Go'uld!

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Raenir Salazar posted:

Yeah this is what I mean in that "I think I get what they're going for" but that doesn't mean it wasn't less disappointing though; because instead of expanding their world building it just felt kinda thin. In comparison to like, the Egyptian pantheon in Moon Knight which feels a little more fleshed out. It made me want to know more about them, especially since they seemed almost like a homage to Stargate and the Go'uld!

I never made the Stargate connection because the Pantheon didn't dress like movie pimps from the 1970s.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

tadashi posted:

Pretty sure they only got Crowe to do it by convincing him he'd get to throw thunderbolts at Jews.

i think you have the wrong antipodean

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Saw the movie last night. It was not good.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The Kirby defender has logged on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adRiXzb2U14

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Raenir Salazar posted:

The blue ray extras show that at some point they were going for exactly that sort of dynamic. But then something changed, this scene got cut, and Zeus was drastically rewritten. Because there's no way the final cut version of Zeus could fit with this scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzgNCRN9hlI

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

golden bubble posted:

The blue ray extras show that at some point they were going for exactly that sort of dynamic. But then something changed, this scene got cut, and Zeus was drastically rewritten. Because there's no way the final cut version of Zeus could fit with this scene.

I liked Thor: Love and Thunder when it came out. It had its flaws, sure, but it was fun. Now I kind of retroactively hate it a little because with scenes like this, or, hell, just this scene instead of the dumb fight scene we had, the movie could have been so much better.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

golden bubble posted:

wtf this is kind of good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Neo Rasa posted:

wtf this is kind of good

I know right? :(

golden bubble posted:

Yeah the deleted scene is what I had in mind. I think maybe they could've still done something similar, Zeus musing about the Gods place in the modern world, sending Herakles to challenge the new Avengers to re-consolidate the power of the Gods, but on friendlier terms? Afterall it isn't like there's some multiverse level threat on the Horizon where having Hercules would be a useful ally...