Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Snuff Melange posted:

What Pokemon type am I supposed to use to be supereffective at the agender gym :( I can't figure it out

You just gotta use Dittos, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I found this YouTuber named Maraganger, I don't think I've seen her mentioned here. She mainly does videos on PS1 or PS1-style games, and I've liked the stuff I saw.
https://youtu.be/OUiUM6gT_kk
https://youtu.be/twHvOs2IWzE
https://youtu.be/POME1Agdhek

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

muscles like this! posted:

As long as it keeps people from just making the exact same points about Bioshock Infinite over and over again.

how is spoony lately

(Honestly that's probably a good question. I hope he's well.)

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Here's something that isn't Harry Potter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P22Q6NXK6gM

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
A Very Special one from John Duncan, hits hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjcCIuSlph4

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Snuff Melange posted:

What Pokemon type am I supposed to use to be supereffective at the agender gym :( I can't figure it out

You'll want to use pokemon which are very gender. I recommend:

Either Nidoran line
Sylveon (any)
Gardevoir (male)
Machoke/machamp (female)
Slowking (female)
Bellossom (male)

These pokemon all have extremely high levels of gender and thus are very effective against agender and also are very cool.

Davedave24
Mar 11, 2004

Lacking in love

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I found this YouTuber named Maraganger, I don't think I've seen her mentioned here. She mainly does videos on PS1 or PS1-style games, and I've liked the stuff I saw.
https://youtu.be/OUiUM6gT_kk
https://youtu.be/twHvOs2IWzE
https://youtu.be/POME1Agdhek

Love a channel that digs into obscure old games, thanks for sharing. I'm watching her Planet Laika vid, very of a kind with Thorhighheels in the writing and interstitial graphic design

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Ariong posted:

You'll want to use pokemon which are very gender. I recommend:

Either Nidoran line
Sylveon (any)
Gardevoir (male)
Machoke/machamp (female)
Slowking (female)
Bellossom (male)

These pokemon all have extremely high levels of gender and thus are very effective against agender and also are very cool.

You forgot Mr. Mime (female) and a Marill line that has the glitch feature where it changes gender upon evolution

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Cryogonal cries because Attract is still a transphobic (and homophobic) move.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Not particularly funny or insightful, but this dude goes through some dead game servers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNDfvNqPILg

Strange feelings seeing a shazbot meme in 2023

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

The Chad Jihad posted:

Not particularly funny or insightful, but this dude goes through some dead game servers.

it's always wild to see someone get blessed with algorithm or a video get pushed to readers of this thread due to similar video clicks. I've been going through his stuff after seeing him pop up and it is all pretty pleasant.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Famethrowa posted:

it's always wild to see someone get blessed with algorithm or a video get pushed to readers of this thread due to similar video clicks. I've been going through his stuff after seeing him pop up and it is all pretty pleasant.

I just checked and this video is 2.5m views and his next highest is 480k, that is nuts. Like good for him but I feel like that can't be the result of a properly functioning algorithm? idk

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I dunno, guy seems to be doing good with 7 vids but that one's an absolute slammer -- still 55,000 subs but the channel's not even a year old, so that's pretty bloody great. But then that kinda weird thing happens when you get an algorithm blessing? I just had one with an older Final Fantasy VIII video that started doing huge numbers out of nowhere, and it's really cool but, at least from my experience, it does also seem to exist in a bit of a vacuum. It doesn't necessarily mean you get an absolute ton more subscribers or that a whole load of your other vids start doing brilliantly too (mind, I did finally redo my REALLY old FFVII vids to take advantage and that also did swimmingly).

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

The Chad Jihad posted:

I just checked and this video is 2.5m views and his next highest is 480k, that is nuts. Like good for him but I feel like that can't be the result of a properly functioning algorithm? idk

holy moly. it was 600k when I watched it earlier this week.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
welp Babish is about to crash into the wizard game trash pit with his English Breakfast video.

Well atleast he taught americans another simple potato-cabbage fritter dish. (Bubbles and Squawk??), oh and shortcutting / fast baked beans.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

PhazonLink posted:

welp Babish is about to crash into the wizard game trash pit with his English Breakfast video.

Well atleast he taught americans another simple potato-cabbage fritter dish. (Bubbles and Squawk??), oh and shortcutting / fast baked beans.

David Seymour did a HP related video where he tried out various butterbeers. I'm hoping it is more from ignorance.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
is there a time and place that isn't suitable to share a video from Patrick Gill about a pizza based platforming game? in my opinion, no

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgTuV31Llok

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Kim Justice posted:

I dunno, guy seems to be doing good with 7 vids but that one's an absolute slammer -- still 55,000 subs but the channel's not even a year old, so that's pretty bloody great. But then that kinda weird thing happens when you get an algorithm blessing? I just had one with an older Final Fantasy VIII video that started doing huge numbers out of nowhere, and it's really cool but, at least from my experience, it does also seem to exist in a bit of a vacuum. It doesn't necessarily mean you get an absolute ton more subscribers or that a whole load of your other vids start doing brilliantly too (mind, I did finally redo my REALLY old FFVII vids to take advantage and that also did swimmingly).
I don't know if you have any way of measuring the effect, but as an anecdote, I found your stuff after hearing Slope mention you in one of his kickscammer vids. I had no idea you were a goon until fairly recently.

So, yeah mentions or referrals from other channels can bring in viewers that stick around.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

muscles like this! posted:

David Seymour did a HP related video where he tried out various butterbeers. I'm hoping it is more from ignorance.

I don't know who that is but I think the strategy by some outlets and commentators to just not talk about the game (instead of putting out a statement / short video explaining why it sucks and you shouldn't support it) has made it very easy for the general public to skate by on this one. I understand not wanting to give the topic any more air than you need to but leaving it up to third parties and sweaty Youtube comments to explain what's happening is a great way to ensure the wider discourse trends super positive and credulous towards the game's defenders.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

He's the current leader of the NZ ACT party, having taken over after the previous leader was tricked into saying yes on camera by the media just straight-up asking if his party's libertarian ideology would logically extend to eliminating the age of consent.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

Grondoth posted:

Who gives a SINGLE poo poo about the wizard game, Grimbeard's made a new feature length video about a strange early 2000s console only game you fuckfreaks

I'm kinda surprised at how much I recognize that gameplay even though I've never played it. I think it made enough of a splash for being so weird that people would bring it up fondly now, but god drat is it astounding it came out the same year as Half Life 2.

Quick thanks for posting this, has become a favorite channel.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

B33rChiller posted:

I don't know if you have any way of measuring the effect, but as an anecdote, I found your stuff after hearing Slope mention you in one of his kickscammer vids. I had no idea you were a goon until fairly recently.

So, yeah mentions or referrals from other channels can bring in viewers that stick around.

The best way is still with cameos and/or crossovers. It'll get you more views for sure, but as for people sticking around, I'd guess about half a percent of those extra views turn into subscribers. Though that does depend on a few factors, like do you have a similar type of audience or how your channels compare in size.

The problem here is that you'd better vet the hell out of anybody that asks to work together if you don't want to get a surprise milkshake duck. And even then it's not a guarantee because *gestures at the crater that was Channel Awesome*.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

B33rChiller posted:

Yeah, I've had plenty of folks coming over from Slope and Larry over the years :). Mind you, some people say that we're all actually the same person.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

The Chad Jihad posted:

I first heard about this video recently because, when I was a teen, I was actually pretty heavy into Active Worlds. It was one of the few places around where you could actually build 3D cities and poo poo at the time, had a good explorer vibe and I got involved in building a city with people I still talk to like twenty years later. They've all mostly left but there are still a few diehards, and they popped up in our discord to tell us that now all their worlds are being swamped by edgelords.

The last time this happened was when Vinesauce Vinny did a video on it, with the same results.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Schurik posted:

Quick thanks for posting this, has become a favorite channel.

Same. Grimbeard (and his sidekick Parapug) are two favorites now. It was nice to find somebody else who enjoyed Bloodrayne for the goofy over the top Nazisploitation game it was... even if we must admit that, yes, we are not sure it's a very good game. Also his look at the legendary Harvester was great.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Bad Wolf posted:

The best way is still with cameos and/or crossovers. It'll get you more views for sure, but as for people sticking around, I'd guess about half a percent of those extra views turn into subscribers. Though that does depend on a few factors, like do you have a similar type of audience or how your channels compare in size.

The problem here is that you'd better vet the hell out of anybody that asks to work together if you don't want to get a surprise milkshake duck. And even then it's not a guarantee because *gestures at the crater that was Channel Awesome*.
Good points, yeah. Thinking of when Buck Angel did some voice-over on a Contrapoints video. I heard the voice, read the credits, and thought "Oh no, Natalie. You're in for a shitstorm now."

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

PhazonLink posted:

lol

Setting your social media on fire to make a completely standard English breakfast is a life choice you can make, I guess.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
What's the magical part? Did he have slaves make the meal for him or something?

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I swear that Babish has made English Breakfast before. I mean, he did the Welsh Rarebit and all sorts of other stuff from Phantom Thread anyway.

Just from looking at the picture, I have several issues. You never, EVER, EVER put baked beans and eggs next to each other. That is a cardinal fry up sin. There must be separation between beans and egg, usually taking the form of a sausage-based bulwark. Equally, you do not chicken out by putting your baked beans in a ramekin on the side, they go on the plate. But not next to the loving eggs.

Also, leaving the vine on the tomatoes? I mean, come on. It's not fancy, it's a fry up. If it's not edible, it doesn' t belong on the plate. Really, the only tomatoes that belong on a breakfast are the ones that are basically sludge and come out of a tin (not on my breakfast, mind - frankly, they belong in a bin. I love tomatoes, but not on a fry up).

I'm kinda questioning the egg game too, if I'm honest? I mean, they certainly look crispy but the yolk seems to be hidden for some reason. Where is it? It should be proudly on display. Put the eggs on the plate the other goddamn way.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

babish always makes it fancy for some stupid reason.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Kim Justice posted:

I'm kinda questioning the egg game too, if I'm honest? I mean, they certainly look crispy but the yolk seems to be hidden for some reason. Where is it? It should be proudly on display. Put the eggs on the plate the other goddamn way.
looks like the egg is easy-over instead of sunny-side up. terrible.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

He's the current leader of the NZ ACT party, having taken over after the previous leader was tricked into saying yes on camera by the media just straight-up asking if his party's libertarian ideology would logically extend to eliminating the age of consent.

You missed the bit where he was just another rich, white idealogue who resembles a boiled egg.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I have not mentioned the FFVIII season of Lightning Strikes Thrice in here much, but if you want to hear a first-timer react to that twist, the episode in question is now live.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

looks like the egg is easy-over instead of sunny-side up. terrible.

Babish singularly fails to recognise that a cafe where a full English Breakfast is served is not the equivalent to some American Diner where they serve dishes called "Moons Over My Hammy" or whatever. It's more like a canteen. As far as eggs go, you have a choice between fried or scrambled. Occasionally, some more exotic-minded places may offer the choice of poached. And that's it. If you ask them for your eggs to be "sunny side up" or "Over easy" or any of the other 1,000 terms there are for a bloody fried egg in America, you'll probably be told to piss off.

Also, I seem to have missed out the biggest error, from a quick peer at the video. Where's the loving tea/coffee??? It's incomplete!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Kim Justice posted:

Babish singularly fails to recognise that a cafe where a full English Breakfast is served is not the equivalent to some American Diner where they serve dishes called "Moons Over My Hammy" or whatever. It's more like a canteen. As far as eggs go, you have a choice between fried or scrambled. Occasionally, some more exotic-minded places may offer the choice of poached. And that's it. If you ask them for your eggs to be "sunny side up" or "Over easy" or any of the other 1,000 terms there are for a bloody fried egg in America, you'll probably be told to piss off.

Also, I seem to have missed out the biggest error, from a quick peer at the video. Where's the loving tea/coffee??? It's incomplete!

Moons over my hammy ftw

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Moons over my hammy ftw

If I ever end up at a Denny's (whether in the US or the solitary UK one in Swansea), that's most definitely what I'm getting. It's an awesome name if nothing else.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Here, argue about Disney movies if you don't have stakes in English breakfast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIQV-X3pGAs

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

goddamn now I want a good fry up. kind of a pain to make and to source the black pudding + beans in the US

that is indeed a tragic breakfast for a tragic game, I even know that as an American

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
There just needs to be more Nigel Ngs just roasting the poo poo out of big chefs loving up classic dishes and embarrassing them for it.

Like, I'm totally fine with providing alterations to them depending on taste/availability of ingredients, but if you're a big name, you gotta demonstrate you can make the original first before putting your twist on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Kim Justice posted:

I swear that Babish has made English Breakfast before. I mean, he did the Welsh Rarebit and all sorts of other stuff from Phantom Thread anyway.

Just from looking at the picture, I have several issues. You never, EVER, EVER put baked beans and eggs next to each other. That is a cardinal fry up sin. There must be separation between beans and egg, usually taking the form of a sausage-based bulwark. Equally, you do not chicken out by putting your baked beans in a ramekin on the side, they go on the plate. But not next to the loving eggs.

Also, leaving the vine on the tomatoes? I mean, come on. It's not fancy, it's a fry up. If it's not edible, it doesn' t belong on the plate. Really, the only tomatoes that belong on a breakfast are the ones that are basically sludge and come out of a tin (not on my breakfast, mind - frankly, they belong in a bin. I love tomatoes, but not on a fry up).

babish breakfast embarrassment