Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Yesterday I offered my son a deal where he could earn a certain amount of money for doing extra reading assignments.

I could see him doing the mental calculus as he weighed the money I offered him against how much we pay him for other things he does around the house and his answer was:

"I'm not interested in doing the reading stuff but do we have any laundry I can fold?"

Hell yeah already ready for the union

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

Kitfox88 posted:

Hell yeah already ready for the union

Lmao, the kids are alright

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Driving 16 hours over two days with the six month old in tow on a trip to visit two sets of grandparents starting tomorrow. Our first road trip with her.

Will covid or insanity claim me first? Maybe Florida drivers.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Have fun and enjoy the drive~

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I don't know what to do with my 5yo, he's the world's most stubborn child and driving us crazy. We're taking him to food therapy because he refuses to eat anything but a couple favorites, but the PCP also wants an autism screening because he just generally doesn't do new things and screams when he doesn't get his way. I think if we ran out of cereal and applesauce he would sooner starve than eat something new.

The good news is that he finally talks mostly-intelligibly after a couple years of speech therapy, in time for kindergarten.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
There's no easy answers for that.

But if he's late to speaking, he's necessarily late to lessonslike "use your words and ask nicely and then you get what you want" too, right?

So maybe if you're hyper vigilant about catching a tantrum before it starts and giving that guidance you can get those positive reinforcement hooks in early?

I don't know, either way it sounds really hard.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
My younger son is very very similar and I'm only just now figuring out how to defuse him when he goes off over something that he won't (or can't because he's incapable of speaking when he gets this way) tell me.

My wife is so much better at it than I am and I wish I had her patience.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
one tip i have for food is try to find stuff that has similar textures to their favorite foods. Kids are really sensitive to food textures, more so than flavours. and just keep offering it all the time. you never know when theyll change their mind. toddlers are shifty fuckers.

all that stuff sounds fairly normal to me but i dont know your kid. you just gotta keep trying.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

RBC posted:

one tip i have for food is try to find stuff that has similar textures to their favorite foods. Kids are really sensitive to food textures, more so than flavours. and just keep offering it all the time. you never know when theyll change their mind. toddlers are shifty fuckers.

all that stuff sounds fairly normal to me but i dont know your kid. you just gotta keep trying.

Yeah unfortunately if I offer something new he won't even enter the dining room. If I try to correct behavior he just claps his hands over his ears and screams over me. He refuses to do any activity we sign him up for and then sits around complaining that he's bored. I had an easier time with the other two but I feel like this one is all screwed up from the pandemic fuckery disrupting our routines during his toddler years.

We're working on getting him more therapists, I'm just complaining. At least we were able to intervene earlier with his younger brother and keep him on the straight and narrow.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

today I quietly sat and watched my 2 year old daughter in our sunroom patting and softly singing to our cat yuri about how much she loves him and how she "wants to feed him ice cream" and at one point in the song she got so overwhelmed with emotion she started crying

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

bitmap posted:

today I quietly sat and watched my 2 year old daughter in our sunroom patting and softly singing to our cat yuri about how much she loves him and how she "wants to feed him ice cream" and at one point in the song she got so overwhelmed with emotion she started crying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTTwcCVajAc

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

bitmap posted:

nice

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

bitmap posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
This seems to be glossing over that they called their cat Yuri

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Name's fine, don't be wierd

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

bitmap posted:

Awwww

My daughter has started tucking our dog in with a blanket and giving her stuffed animals and reading her stories but their relationship is more complex than this because she really doesn't like being licked on the ears or face and the dog doesn't know any other way to express affection

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

ikanreed posted:

Is it done, Yuri?

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

ikanreed posted:

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
my 6 yr old wants a cat so badly at the dinner table she expressed that maybe mom will die sooner than later so I’ll get a cat because my spouse is very allergic to cats. I told her that I would be too sad to buy a cat and also when you die there is no coming back. not even in your pretend worlds you make up .

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I just bought my kid a fish

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Another Bill posted:

I just bought my kid a fish

oh I did that.. the aquarium is basically running on its own. if rats lived longer I’d consider it.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Guinea pigs.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

When I was young we had pet rodents and one of my main parenting goals is to not put my children through that. So many unhappy gerbils...

No space for a dog and we're allergic to cats so hoping the kids will accept pet rubber tree plants if the question ever comes up.

ikanreed posted:

nothing wrong with naming your cat after the discoverer of the heaviest known element, Yuri Oganessian

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Guinea pigs hit a sweet spot between farm animal and rodent though. they will sit in a lap on towel and eat happily. they are fully domesticated which makes them a bit less inquisitive than other rodents (and gives them a dumb reputation). they’re also happy to be left alone (but only if one has two or more because they are social). that said all the current in vogue care recommendations are probably excessive and the current design of cages suck to clean. so it’s almost easier to make a custom hutch.

Bar Ran Dun has issued a correction as of 05:50 on Feb 26, 2023

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Custom hutch sounds like a good project.

We got our kids chickens, they're a pretty easy pet to take care of and fun to watch.

PerniciousKnid has issued a correction as of 15:58 on Feb 26, 2023

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

we made ours out off an ikea shelving unit, the hard part was figuring out a ramp they’d use. on the plus side we made plastic inserts that one can put into a bag. then you put the bedding in. then to clean you pull the insert and everything is already bagged for the garbage.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I'm taking 9 kids to see Ant Man today :confuoot:

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Another Bill posted:

Have fun! Wear an n95.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Another Bill posted:

Good luck!

PerniciousKnid posted:

Have fun! Wear an n95.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

8y/o saw the trailer and now has been really insistent on wanting to see Cocaine Bear

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

i think you should at least try cocaine before watching a movie featuring it

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

i am harry posted:

i think you should at least try cocaine before watching a movie featuring it

what if you're a bear

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

what if you're a bear

No, it's the drag queens that usually have the coke.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Plumbing emergency #2 of this pregnancy just happened. The hot water heater burst. Fortunately we were around and awake and heard it happen so I was able to close the shutoff valve inside of a minute; unfortunately I hadn't taken a shower yet. Plumber inbound by noon.

We actually had a hot water heater burst last pregnancy too, on week 31, which is the same week we're on now. Eerie.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Sounds like your water broke

:frogc00l:

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

KirbyKhan posted:

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

3 month old daughter started daycare today :qq:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

KirbyKhan posted:

Oddly enough her water DID break dramatically last time

Might be a premonition that it'll happen this time too

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

babys first day in daycare is not going well, none of the staff have been able to get her to eat from a bottle. i have also been unsuccessful at this, trying over the last two weeks. my wife has had to go over there and nurse her twice already. this is not going to be possible next week when she goes back to work. not good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

KirbyKhan posted: