Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

ymgve posted:

also they are absolutely overriding the AI now and then and just doing "ok, insert TRENDY SONG here instead of the recommended one"
I mean, they didn't do anything to the recommendation engine - it's still doing the best possible thing, sending you the tracks that other people with your tastes also liked but you haven't heard yet - it's just a text to speech DJ reciting the Wikipedia entry for the band

Never give those companies so much credit, they wouldn't change two things at once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

I saw an article today about how my county is going to use AI to monitor all the drawbridges and what they really meant was that they were installing motion sensors that would blast an alarm when the bridge was going up if it detected any people on it.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/JamesUrbaniak/status/1627373676202201088

when your business model relies on you not realising that trains exist

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

NZAmoeba posted:

https://twitter.com/JamesUrbaniak/status/1627373676202201088

when your business model relies on you not realising that trains exist

it’s all hrududu to me

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i dunno i guess dying people just be like "i can try and find a baby on twitter these days"

https://twitter.com/kawasook/status/1627049241180008448

SideEffectShit
Oct 10, 2022

by Pragmatica
is that the vacuum they use to suck out the dead baby??

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

smarxist posted:

i dunno i guess dying people just be like "i can try and find a baby on twitter these days"

https://twitter.com/kawasook/status/1627049241180008448

Has the cancer stuck his hand to his cheek

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

if medicine were properly regulated in this country putting up this billboard would get your medical license instantly revoked

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

endlessmonotony posted:

Agent Smith is the real protagonist because we all understand why they react the way they do to having to browse Twitter 24/7.

Actually, he's even worse than the genocidal oppressors because he's a doomer or something

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Shear Modulus posted:

if medicine were properly regulated in this country putting up this billboard would get your medical license instantly revoked

lol there's a lot worse than this going on

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

There's nothing wrong with the medical aspect here

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I think that's backwards. To turn the lights off you have to hit the soft-button

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Smartphones have conditioned everyone to loving love touchscreens. What can you do :shrug:

Besides, headlights are automatic on most newer cars, why would you ever use a switch?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
My cars should only ever have manual headlights because that’s the way I like it and I’ll never inadvertently train away the muscle memory and make a mistake when driving an older car.

Everyone else’s car should have automatic headlights because there are demonstrably idiots driving around at night without lights on.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Nothus posted:

Smartphones have conditioned everyone to loving love touchscreens. What can you do :shrug:

Besides, headlights are automatic on most newer cars, why would you ever use a switch?

My fat knee sometimes moves the light dial from 'auto' to 'off' when I am getting in/out of the car and I end up driving for far too long before I realize it. Granted the city is well lit at night but it still sucks. Really if the car is moving and it knows it is dark the lights should just come on no questions asked. Or at least beep at me or something smdh.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

other people posted:

My fat knee sometimes moves the light dial from 'auto' to 'off' when I am getting in/out of the car and I end up driving for far too long before I realize it. Granted the city is well lit at night but it still sucks. Really if the car is moving and it knows it is dark the lights should just come on no questions asked. Or at least beep at me or something smdh.

We had a solution to this.

It’s that the instrument cluster doesn’t light up unless the headlights are on. Difficult to miss.

Putting all of the instruments onto an LCD killed that stone dead, but even before that, always‐lit instruments were a scouge.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Platystemon posted:

We had a solution to this.

It’s that the instrument cluster doesn’t light up unless the headlights are on. Difficult to miss.

Putting all of the instruments onto an LCD killed that stone dead, but even before that, always‐lit instruments were a scouge.

I forgot about that. The instrument cluster on this thing is just a giant LCD yeah so it has to light up no matter what. It should still loving beep at you though. I think the number of legitimate uses for driving around in the dark with no headlights are so few that it can't outweigh the safety of making the lights come on at night.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

lmfao

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

HiroProtagonist posted:

There's nothing wrong with the medical aspect here

It's insane to advertise treatment courses directly to the public

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

pfft what does your doctor know that you don't?? how you can actually be sure that you're getting enough ketamine in your normal diet without trying some more? it's your body after all (no abobos allowed tho)

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

eSports Chaebol posted:

it’s all hrududu to me
with hrair trailers

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Nothus posted:

No one actually likes touchscreens for everything in a car. It's just cheaper.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Nothus posted:

Smartphones have conditioned everyone to loving love touchscreens.
It's a cost-saving measure first and foremost, they want you to think it's based on customer research. Social media everywhere is filled with pleas for a return of tactile interfaces, even zoomers yearn for them

e:f,b

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the touchscreen in my car stopped working properly and when i took it in to fix it they said the guy who knew anything about touchscreens was only there once a week for a few hours.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

its an advocacy group. if anything its insane that it needs to exist.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

cat botherer posted:

Yeah it's stupid as hell when you think of a switch costing 40 cents, but the eggheads at corporate multiply that by a million cars and suddenly you're saving $400,000 which then can be paid to them in yearly bonuses

They'd make the steering wheel be touchscreen if they could get away with it

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

cat botherer posted:

I'm absolutely baffled as to how its cheaper TBH. My last car (1992 Mercury Sable), the knobs and dials for the radio and AC were the kind of plastic you'd expect for a happy meal toy. The idea that a LCD panel is cheaper than, at most, 3 happy meal toys just feels absurd to me.

It flat out doesn't make sense to me. I'm more likely to believe that its about how people up the chain of command in a car company find LCD panels to be more pleasing and get furious if you tell them it leads to worse customer experiences, and they're just convinced that knobs and dials is "primitive" or "crude" or just "unsexy" and that the customer is wrong and needs to be disciplined.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Tulip posted:

I'm absolutely baffled as to how its cheaper TBH. My last car (1992 Mercury Sable), the knobs and dials for the radio and AC were the kind of plastic you'd expect for a happy meal toy. The idea that a LCD panel is cheaper than, at most, 3 happy meal toys just feels absurd to me.

It flat out doesn't make sense to me. I'm more likely to believe that its about how people up the chain of command in a car company find LCD panels to be more pleasing and get furious if you tell them it leads to worse customer experiences, and they're just convinced that knobs and dials is "primitive" or "crude" or just "unsexy" and that the customer is wrong and needs to be disciplined.

Bear in mind I also hate it, but there's more than just the cost of components, though touchscreens themselves are just as dirt cheap. You have to consider the cost of designing the dash around the buttons, the physical labor cost of installing the wiring harness with the buttons, etc. If you can make a single UI control everything, you eliminate 20 switches and buttons, and vastly simplify the mechanical integration time for a dashboard. Per unit it might not be much savings but at scale it's significant. There's a reason pretty much every consumer appliance is evolving around touch screens and it's not because it's a better user experience lol

The obvious massive downside is now you have a single point of failure for pretty much every important feature in the car, so you better hope the touchscreen doesn't melt in the desert sun or something.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Tulip posted:

You can easily retask your chinese slaves from building ipad touchscreens to dashboard touchscreens.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Tulip posted:

It's 2023, not 1992.

Each one of those plastic knobs needs switches, rheostats, special molding, wiring, etc. Many little pieces that all have to be manufactured and assembled. Then, it's all analog, so it all has to be converted into the right kind of digital signal.

Or, instead of all of that, you can get a 7" touchscreen from alibaba for $10 (I just checked) with a standard connector.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Justin Tyme posted:

Yeah it's stupid as hell when you think of a switch costing 40 cents, but the eggheads at corporate multiply that by a million cars and suddenly you're saving $400,000 which then can be paid to them in yearly bonuses

They'd make the steering wheel be touchscreen if they could get away with it

Musk is paving the way to prove they can

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Justin Tyme posted:

The obvious massive downside is now you have a single point of failure for pretty much every important feature in the car, so you better hope the touchscreen doesn't melt in the desert sun or something.

*until the warranty runs out

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
The iphone model but for cars, let's throw more and more rare earth metals and plastic in the junkyard

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

tokin opposition posted:

The iphone model but for cars, let's throw more and more rare earth metals and plastic in the junkyard
That is what is referred to as an "externality," which is an economics term meaning "who gives a poo poo lol"

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

cat botherer posted:

That is what is referred to as an "externality," which is an economics term meaning "who gives a poo poo lol"

lots of people, it turns out. but they’re not Shareholders so they don’t count lol

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i love economic jargon. "negative externality" whoops we gave an entire town cancer, whaddaya gonna do.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

uber_stoat posted:

i love economic jargon. "negative externality" whoops we gave an entire town cancer, whaddaya gonna do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

other people posted:

I forgot about that. The instrument cluster on this thing is just a giant LCD yeah so it has to light up no matter what. It should still loving beep at you though. I think the number of legitimate uses for driving around in the dark with no headlights are so few that it can't outweigh the safety of making the lights come on at night.

Sometimes I like to drive by the moonlight, ok

Also I rented a model 3 and it was an awful experience and I am sad that so many other companies are copying the giant touchscreen aspect of it. One sad moment was trying to find the radio for traffic updates and finding out it didn't even exist , even though it's useful as a safety device

uber_stoat posted:

08-09 there was an incredible amount of jargon by failing investor funds about the market being illiquid. That meaning , of course, that it wasn't fair for them to be a bag holder of a worthless financial instrument and how they should be able to easily sell it for, at most, a tiny loss