Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Yeah they're full width boxes so just need the faceplates changing as all are cat 5e (I really hope there's enough slack in the cable to do this else I'm going to have to crimp an end on and I don't have a crimping tool). Seems that metal faced ethernet sockets are weirdly expensive though.

Why are you buying STP keystones? Though apparently high quality UTP keystones are expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

H110Hawk posted:

Why are you buying STP keystones? Though apparently high quality UTP keystones are expensive.

Sorry I meant the faceplate for the box to fit the keystone into, not the keystone itself.

I was looking at them with the keystone built in and they were coming up weirdly expensive, but I just realised that one of the cheaper ones that I thought was just the plate with no keystone ctually does have one built in, it's just not clear from the page.

So now the question is: do I go the whole way with the replacements and wire the bedroom for ethernet?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Always wire everything for ethernet.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Always
Be
Connecting

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

So now the question is: do I go the whole way with the replacements and wire the bedroom for ethernet?

The way ethernet is wired is actually 100% compatible with one or two lines of telephone connectivity. You can plug a RJ11 in to a RJ45 jack and it'll work (though it does obviously apply pressure on the side pins that may cause it to not work right for ethernet after a while), so there's very little reason to not just convert them all.

If for whatever reason you actually have a need for three or four lines of POTS from a single jack then you need to keep it to standard telecom wiring, but for the more common one or two ethernet wiring works perfectly.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

`Nemesis posted:

source claims this condo is valued at 7.5 million

Every time I see a house where it's like "my vision comes first, no compromises!" I know I'll find minisplits if I look for them lol.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
the first two levels of a parking structure at a mall near Milwaukee just collapsed, they're searching for survivors.

edit: only two floors

https://www.tmj4.com/news/local-news/parking-structure-partially-collapses-at-bayshore-mall-tmj4-crews-confirm

`Nemesis fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 23, 2023

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Is there a problem with my foundation, sir?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

GreenNight posted:

It's lasted for 800 years, it's probably OK.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

`Nemesis posted:

the first two levels of a parking structure at a mall near Milwaukee just collapsed, they're searching for survivors.

edit: only two floors

https://www.tmj4.com/news/local-news/parking-structure-partially-collapses-at-bayshore-mall-tmj4-crews-confirm

Haven't been to this mall, yet. I should head over there after work and check it out!

(hope everyone is okay)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Deteriorata posted:

It's lasted for 800 years, it's probably OK.

Looks like the mortar has eroded away, though, those pebbles might start shifting if nothing is done :ohdear:

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass

GreenNight posted:

It's a rock solid foundation, what's the problem?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Just Winging It posted:

It's a rock solid foundation, what's the problem?
They want a basement

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

wolrah posted:

The way ethernet is wired is actually 100% compatible with one or two lines of telephone connectivity. You can plug a RJ11 in to a RJ45 jack and it'll work (though it does obviously apply pressure on the side pins that may cause it to not work right for ethernet after a while), so there's very little reason to not just convert them all.

If for whatever reason you actually have a need for three or four lines of POTS from a single jack then you need to keep it to standard telecom wiring, but for the more common one or two ethernet wiring works perfectly.

I haven't had an actual physical line phone for maybe 5 years? Longer if you count "owned it but it was never answered", which actually kind of makes it a bit weird that the place was built in 2014 and had a bunch of bedrooms wired for phone, but then nothing wired for data.

I guess it was probably at the point where people started to drop physical cables in favour of WiFi? I mean I have a mesh network running but by its own metrics it has some issues with signal from the line entry point to the base stations, and how can I sit there and pass up a 10% gain in network bandwidth that I will never use???

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Uthor posted:

Haven't been to this mall, yet. I should head over there after work and check it out!

(hope everyone is okay)

bayshore sucks imo

we had a few inches of sleet yesterday, and it looks like the snow removal service piled all of this in one spot o the top, and the concrete span gave way.

no injuries, just a pair of flattened cars, thankfully

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

Ohhh that would sort of make sense if *any* of them were actually connected. I'd forgotten about those old "signal booster" things you had to have if you had too many runs off one aerial/dish source.

I'm already thinking about converting the phone sockets to ethernet seeing as it's all cat 5, just need to be willing to spend an hour under the stairs doing it.

This is my next home project. So much cat 5e just sitting unused in the old phone jacks

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://i.imgur.com/5HJRZ3v.mp4

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Orange shirt guy was acting unsafely, right? The assumption with heavy lift tools is that they could fail like that at any time, right?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Eh, he wasn't in the path of failure. It's not the safest thing to be doing but it's not like he's under the load.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
True, if he'd been under the load then he'd not have walked away from that.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I haven't had an actual physical line phone for maybe 5 years? Longer if you count "owned it but it was never answered", which actually kind of makes it a bit weird that the place was built in 2014 and had a bunch of bedrooms wired for phone, but then nothing wired for data.

I guess it was probably at the point where people started to drop physical cables in favour of WiFi? I mean I have a mesh network running but by its own metrics it has some issues with signal from the line entry point to the base stations, and how can I sit there and pass up a 10% gain in network bandwidth that I will never use???

Every so often, my LG "smart" TV abruptly forgets how to do wired ethernet, and it can only be restored to sanity by a full unplug-from-the-wall power cycle. I can only assume the wired connection option didn't get nearly as much beta testing as the wireless.

I do have wi-fi in the house, but I still tend to think of it as just a convenience for laptops and tablets and whatnot. It still seems strange to me to use wireless for a permanent connection like the living room TV when it's not that hard to just plug into the wires and completely avoid "the freakishness of radio", to steal a phrase from Gann.

Am I old? I think I may be old. :corsair:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

My LG TV somehow has the ability to reboot my wifi router, because that makes sense.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Sash! posted:

My LG TV somehow has the ability to reboot my wifi router, because that makes sense.

How? Is it crashing the router? Do you need to update your router's firmware?

Or it could just be your router circling the drain. I had that happen like 15 years ago?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I had something like that happen with a linksys I had. Turned out I’d grabbed the wrong wall wart from the collection at some point and was running it on like 3/4 the current it wanted. Hell of a thing to troubleshoot though.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I can easily stream 4k to my tv over wifi. It's not as fast as ethernet for really heavy duty stuff like pulling down an 80gb game off of Steam, but its fine for everything else.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

It's all so dependent on the conditions. I've been in a stone block cottage in the UK where the wifi only worked in the same room as the router, even cell phones only worked halfway decently near windows.

Call me a luddite but I know a wire will work.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I did wired to my Samsung because it could not maintain a wireless connection. It was super annoying how it would work if you tested it but not until you tested it. Wired has worked everytime. Plus it allowed me to wire my PS5.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Powered Descent posted:

Every so often, my LG "smart" TV abruptly forgets how to do wired ethernet, and it can only be restored to sanity by a full unplug-from-the-wall power cycle.

Hilariously, the same happens to me with my LG smart TV, but with the WiFi connection.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
My LG smart TV was never hooked up to the internet in its entire life. It's now sitting on my porch in the rain.

My roku is wired because I'm not a freak. :cloud:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

1) drop a log
2) look out here comes my piss!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

1) drop a log
2) look out here comes my piss!

Fella,

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Leperflesh posted:

I can easily stream 4k to my tv over wifi. It's not as fast as ethernet for really heavy duty stuff like pulling down an 80gb game off of Steam, but its fine for everything else.

Absolutely, modern wireless is perfectly capable of handling a stream of 4K or a download or anything else.
It's more the fact that you end up with dozens of devices in a house and the more you can remove off the shared medium the better.
IOT devices are the worst. They often don't support modern protocols so they need a lot of airtime, and if their messages are delayed or collided with then it's a particular annoyance.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Yeah, wireless is plenty fast but everything is sharing the same wire, so to speak. Plus it has higher latency.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

StormDrain posted:

I did wired to my Samsung because it could not maintain a wireless connection. It was super annoying how it would work if you tested it but not until you tested it. Wired has worked everytime. Plus it allowed me to wire my PS5.

This was actually my original plan because my Samsung TV kept loving up it's WiFi connection somehow but I think blocking all its advert bullshit at the network level seems to have resolved it for now. Also I'd need to run a cable through the wall to put a new socket in close enough to do it and :effort:

The TV still has a really stupid problem where it will occasionally fill up its memory cache or whatever it is and you have to do the equivalent of a hard reboot to get any streaming working again. Not ideal when a toddler wants another episode of something.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Powered Descent posted:

Every so often, my LG "smart" TV abruptly forgets how to do wired ethernet, and it can only be restored to sanity by a full unplug-from-the-wall power cycle. I can only assume the wired connection option didn't get nearly as much beta testing as the wireless.
Considering LG ships OLED TVs with four or five digit price tags and a 100 megabit ethernet port that is a legitimate bottleneck for some UHD Bluray remuxes, it's a safe bet they consider the wired connection a low priority.

quote:

I do have wi-fi in the house, but I still tend to think of it as just a convenience for laptops and tablets and whatnot. It still seems strange to me to use wireless for a permanent connection like the living room TV when it's not that hard to just plug into the wires and completely avoid "the freakishness of radio", to steal a phrase from Gann.

Am I old? I think I may be old. :corsair:
100% with you. If it can be wired, it should be wired. Wireless is for mobility and occasional weird little things that need intermittent connectivity from somewhere it wouldn't be worth wiring.

~Coxy posted:

Absolutely, modern wireless is perfectly capable of handling a stream of 4K or a download or anything else.
It's more the fact that you end up with dozens of devices in a house and the more you can remove off the shared medium the better.
IOT devices are the worst. They often don't support modern protocols so they need a lot of airtime, and if their messages are delayed or collided with then it's a particular annoyance.
Perfectly put. Any one thing normal people do with a network, modern WiFi will handle just fine. It's when you put together dozens of devices all trying to use the same access point, neighbors' networks, and other users of the same unlicensed spectrum that it starts to go to poo poo and those of us who wired whatever we can get to be smug. My old LaserJet 4's 10mbit half duplex ethernet adapter doesn't negatively impact the rest of my network, but my Brother printer's 802.11g sure as poo poo would cause my 2.4GHz network to suck if I tried to use it.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 24, 2023

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I bought this house a year ago, and when I moved in found out that the prior owner had wired every single room with 2 Ethernet drops, all terminating in a big patch panel in the closet next to the fiber drop.

Turns out the prior owner owned an IT consulting firm, so all that stuff was done very right. Bless you, prior owner.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
If I want to run a bunch of ethernet from my crawlspace to my attic, what's the best way to do it? I don't want to take out any walls but I have a place I can get to easily from above and below that conveniently also has access on the first floor. Also if I want to run ethernet in my attic to get to the back of the second floor and the eaves for cameras, how should I do that.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

canyoneer posted:

I bought this house a year ago, and when I moved in found out that the prior owner had wired every single room with 2 Ethernet drops, all terminating in a big patch panel in the closet next to the fiber drop.

Turns out the prior owner owned an IT consulting firm, so all that stuff was done very right. Bless you, prior owner.

My house was wired with cat5e to all the comms drops, and meets together in a utility room where I put in some equipment and have been converting phone jacks to network when I feel like it.

Until I went to do the one in the master bedroom. Apparently some secondary phone part is spliced into that line, SOMEWHERE, and a typical approach for that is to just bundle wires together to get the expected number of conductors. So for that line, my tester shows a bunch of shorts across half the pins and it’s probably up in the attic or somewhere. :/

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

slurm posted:

If I want to run a bunch of ethernet from my crawlspace to my attic, what's the best way to do it? I don't want to take out any walls but I have a place I can get to easily from above and below that conveniently also has access on the first floor. Also if I want to run ethernet in my attic to get to the back of the second floor and the eaves for cameras, how should I do that.

What's a bunch? For two wires just drill a hole up into the wall from the crawlspace and another down from the attic and fish the wire through. I reccomend using firberglash fish rods, and have two boxes of wire and do both at once.

For two dozen wires.... Bigger holes, and more time. Maybe do two to four at a time depending the total length.

I spent an afternoon getting two wires from my office down to the basement because there wasn't a direct route and I didn't want to drill a bunch of holes in drywall and patch them. It was rough! One hole in the wall, feed trough the top plate of my wall, hook that with the fish rod and pull it to a central wall, down there to the first floor ceiling, down another wall I already had a hole in, down to the basement. Lots of intermediate pulling and straightening wire, but it's done! I considered running a couple other rooms but they don't have devices now and I have other projects. It would be nice to get one for the TV in my master bedroom and one in each other bedroom, but I can wait. There's some other locations on the first floor I'll do first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

canyoneer posted:

wrong thread