Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl befriender
Sep 22, 2014

by vyelkin
eod maps are like hot maps on steroids. skyscale all but required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Path of Fire looks very pretty, the story bits aren't as cringey or low effort as the rest of the game and the mounts and masteries are complete literal game changers and will make even HoT maps tolerable to navigate and trivialize most of the other maps.

PoF's only downside is it isn't crazy good at making raw gold with valuable metas and items that HoT/Core/EoD have in spades, if you only care about make gold go up, go with EoD and farm leviathans and metas and get map completion to craft legendaries and max out jade bot mastery for scavenger protocols and arborstone mastery to get dat rear end.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Feb 23, 2023

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Hachiman posted:

I stopped playing GW2 during Heart of Thorns because I really hated all those new maps very very much, but I'm thinking about coming back now since there is a lot of new content. I was hopng for some deal too but it didn't happen, will have to pay full price, $ 50 for the 2 last expansions, I hope it is worth it.

Which one you like most Path of Fire or End of Dragons?

Too bad I can't link my account to Steam, would need to create a new one and losing everything I grinded so far is not a good option.

HoT maps suck even today, but the meta's dont use a lot of the space so they are good.
PoF maps suck, but are ok.
EoD maps suck like HoT maps.

But you should play. its a good game.

Pof and LWS4 are mandatory at this point. And not just for the mounts. LWS4 is legit good.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Icebrood saga embodies this

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Thats being nice

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
CHAMPION, YOU HAVE OBTAINED THE HYPER BEAM FROM MOTHER BRAIN, SHOOT IT AT THE DRAGON!!!

the power is literally called Prismatic Hyper Beam lol

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

The more i do that fight the less it makes any sense at all..

Why dont the dragons do anything...

Why isnt fire trying to beat up ice like venom and spiderman...

Why the stupid ley line sites, its busy work...

Like it could have been a massive battle against two sides you had to balance out in order to win.

Why is aurene so useless...

But then i think back to the end of Drizz coast, Where a claw is obviously playing soccer and throws itself into the wall like 5 seconds after the canons have finished shooting (and missed)

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
I remember the months and months that the dragon response missions dragged on too, JFC. I wasn't even looking forward to playing the next one either cause it was just the same formula again and again.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

jormag at the start of IBS: mysterious, unknown, creepy. you've heard bad things and experienced them at the hands of jormag's minions, but jormag themself isn't hostile per se. they're the only rational elder dragon we've encountered, not including aurene or post-madness kralkatorrik. it's possible that jormag is just making the best of a bad situation, and they don't endorse or support the actions of their minions or worshippers. could they actually be an ally?

jormag in chapter 5: so i sent my champion to go attack people in population centres. argh i cant think about anything except murdering my brother!!

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
IBS ending was rushed because they were busy working on EoD. It is what it is. I hate Dragonstorm and rarely do it (even though it's great gold).

The studio seems to be in much better hands now, let's hope they deliver, starting next week.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I can't bring myself to blame anet for the covid affected stuff that turned out poo poo. It is poo poo and I don't play it, but I understand how it came to be.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I’m at 30% world completion and the game is pretty good so far. The game does a very bad job explaining things but I followed a build guide for a lazy necromancer build and I can wander around the world and hit like a mac truck so it’s cool. Game good.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Just a heads up that world completion of the core game zones only matters if you want to make First Gen Legendary Weapons, otherwise feel free to keep moving to get to expansion content and not grind out hearts. If you're enjoying it, that's great, but it's entirely optional and only a small taste of what the game offers.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
I was pretty die hard team Asura for years. The great animations, the pompousness in voice acting, and the small size making running feel like I was fast were all great. But the fashion for Asurans is bad. The 3 toe'd frog feet meant that most boots were basically ankle wraps, or open toed sandals. I could be wearing the heaviest plate armor, clad head to foot like a tank. But then my wittle toesies would be poking out. Why? For a game that has tons of practical armor, having titanium boots of dragon bashing where the toes just hang out is stupid. It all finally hit me in Ember Bay how dumb it was. So I did the most practical thing and switched to Human. It was fine. But they're so loving boring, even if they are technically the elves of this game.

When I returned, late last year, I just made a Sylvari instead and for most of 2022 I played Sylvari, with fat Norns for raiding. Sylvari would be perfect for me if they didn't have the terrible shoulder scaling issue for males. But, great is the enemy of good here.

And shortest, fattest norns just make for good fat guys in a world of olympic athletes.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

whydirt posted:

Just a heads up that world completion of the core game zones only matters if you want to make First Gen Legendary Weapons, otherwise feel free to keep moving to get to expansion content and not grind out hearts. If you're enjoying it, that's great, but it's entirely optional and only a small taste of what the game offers.

My broke brain likes to fill in the map. Thanks for the heads up though! :v:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The thing about asura is that they're essentially post-scarcity and the only two things that asuran "government" does is:

a) shady CIA poo poo
b) deciding who gets the best lab space and access to any resources that can't be duplicated easily

This is why the Inquest are still "part" of the asuran polity; they don't really have enough of a polity to kick the Inquest out of it.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
There's enough there in the IBS that you can tell what they were going for and how they were gonna get there, and then they just completely skipped any of that.

Like there was supposed to be a Cold War situation happening where Primordus is lighting everything on fire and the more poo poo that's on fire the more powerful he becomes, so Jormag is forced to start freezing an equal amount of things to keep up and it ruins her plans. Then at the end Jormag was supposed to think she fooled us into weakening Primordus, and then when she comes in for the coup de grace we trap her there and kill them both. Except Jormag and Primordus literally getting stronger per thing set on fire/frozen wasn't really establish, and also the plan to trap Jormag just didn't happen she just conveniently decides to show up that day. Braham was "fused" with Primordus and then he was going to fulfill the prophecy by proxy, except that also wasn't established so when you ask him at the end he just shrugs and says prophecies are weird I guess.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

AmbientParadox posted:

When I returned, late last year, I just made a Sylvari instead and for most of 2022 I played Sylvari, with fat Norns for raiding. Sylvari would be perfect for me if they didn't have the terrible shoulder scaling issue for males. But, great is the enemy of good here.

It should be the default experience. Everyone making a human female made a mistake.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Veev posted:

There's enough there in the IBS that you can tell what they were going for and how they were gonna get there, and then they just completely skipped any of that.

Like there was supposed to be a Cold War situation happening where Primordus is lighting everything on fire and the more poo poo that's on fire the more powerful he becomes, so Jormag is forced to start freezing an equal amount of things to keep up and it ruins her plans. Then at the end Jormag was supposed to think she fooled us into weakening Primordus, and then when she comes in for the coup de grace we trap her there and kill them both. Except Jormag and Primordus literally getting stronger per thing set on fire/frozen wasn't really establish, and also the plan to trap Jormag just didn't happen she just conveniently decides to show up that day. Braham was "fused" with Primordus and then he was going to fulfill the prophecy by proxy, except that also wasn't established so when you ask him at the end he just shrugs and says prophecies are weird I guess.

is Braham the only person in the entire setting to go from full dragon corruption mode to back to normal no harm done? real missed opportunity to kill him off in a heroic sacrifice...

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

I think Norn are probably my least favorite of the five races, simply because by making them playable they lost the major factor that made them unique (shapeshifting). Sure, technically they still can, but the skills are so much weaker than weapons (to say nothing of disabling your utilities too) that there is no point in ever using them outside of a 'huh, that's neat.'

As for Asura, they at least get credit for being far more involved in the story and in a generally more serious capacity than 'small' races typically get. XIV is the second best about it, and Lalafel are still often side-lined/have a minimal presence/are relegated to jokes a lot.

The awful footwear was a real downside, since it pretty much restricted you to either cultrual or a select few dungeon sets for your footwear for a long while. Or Mistward when HoT came out. But, by the time Path of Fire hit they realized this was dumb as poo poo (or whoever on the art team insisted on it quit or something idk) and pretty much no footwear or outfits released during or after path of fire has had that issue.

You still need to be kind of selective with what you wear of course since some textures don't downscale very well to Asura size, but the dumbass bare toes thing stopped being a issue mercifully.

Meanwhile, Charr unfortunately remain poo poo out of luck to this day, having very few footwear or outfit options that don't entirely chop the shoes off like Tauren boots in WoW, and even fewer if we discount footwear that just shoves them into humanoid-shaped boots.

Meeko fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Feb 24, 2023

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Meanwhile I've started a Revenant for the first time and they are strange but they do seem cool!

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d

FlapYoJacks posted:

My broke brain likes to fill in the map. Thanks for the heads up though! :v:

You also get a little star by your character name!

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I think it's possible to make charr look stylish.

I call this outfit "the friend of all animals"

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 24, 2023

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

jokes posted:

It should be the default experience. Everyone making a human female made a mistake.

Human females look weird enough that I, a hetero cis female feel kind of creepy rolling one. They all look weirdly young

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

lol

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

you need to dye the underpants white

e: actually i have all these items

e2: wait my charr is already wearing most of this

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Feb 24, 2023

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

lmao oh my god....

Orv
May 4, 2011

I used to have a Tauren in WoW named Chromophobia who purposefully wore a bunch of garish vanilla/TBC plate that looked awful and clearly I need to reimagine that here.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Late Unpleasantness posted:

You also get a little star by your character name!

COSA???? I now MUST complete this task!

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

Ready for Charrnival

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I like Charr a lot, I like Asura, I love to hate on Sylvari (because they're basically elves, and elves can suck it), but I think they're a good addition. Even if tits on a cabbage is stupid.

Humans are boring and stupid, and Norns are literally just big humans.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm suddenly remembering how a roleplaying forum had a Q&A with one of the writers/lore developers before the game initially launched and one of the questions they had to answer was whether Sylvari could have sex

the answer was yes, they can't reproduce but because they were literally modeled on humans in-universe they can and do have sex recreationally

This is important roleplaying knowledge

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Norn are humans for people who like hard mode jumping puzzles :v:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Hyperlynx posted:

I like Charr a lot, I like Asura, I love to hate on Sylvari (because they're basically elves, and elves can suck it), but I think they're a good addition. Even if tits on a cabbage is stupid.

Humans are boring and stupid, and Norns are literally just big humans.

I'm fairly certain that the only reason Sylvari look like humans is because the seed that became the Pale Tree fed on his dead body. If the centaur died first, we'd have plant-based centaurs.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

jokes posted:

I'm fairly certain that the only reason Sylvari look like humans is because the seed that became the Pale Tree fed on his dead body. If the centaur died first, we'd have plant-based centaurs.

This is canon yes

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

jokes posted:

Huh? Whose?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Hyperlynx posted:

Huh? Whose?

Ronan, some shining blade jamoke

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah sylvari lore is weird and I think it was originally intended to be slightly unsettling in that "unseelie fae" way. They appear humanoid because the Pale Tree used a human corpse as the blueprint.

They sorta ended up more tame than that in the long run but they're still cool and definitely my favorite race to play

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I like that they’re Arthurian as gently caress and it keeps on resulting in them getting absolutely dunked on. Like, that’s a great way to show that GW2’s lore is not standard fantasy, it only appears so. The nightmare court: misguided idiots. Normal sylvari: misguided idiots. But dang it if they don’t got gumption and grit. And some of the coolest cultural armor: it glows!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

bioluminescence ftw