Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I take it back, never make translucent controllers again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Spellman posted:

I take it back, never make translucent controllers again

If your controller is opaque who's to say it's not full of bugs right now?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

almost Kirby time :)

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I had heard about the basic idea of Katamari and its escalating scale for years, but even knowing that going in and not thinking the actual gameplay itself is anything special, I think it's still safe to say that actually playing through the later levels and especially the last level was one of the most magical experiences I've had in a game.

There must have been a lot of technical trickery involved to pull it off 20 years ago on the PS2, I guess dynamically loading and un-loading large and small versions of the different areas as the overall scale changes, like probably the main "shift" being once you cross over to the other islands with cities on them. I loathe the Youtube essays of the modern Internet but wonder if there's an interesting technical breakdown of it somewhere.

Though funny enough even though they made a free trial of the first game to promote the We <3 Katamari re-release, playing through the first game kind of makes me wonder where they could really go with the series after the first game and whether a later game could build enough on the idea of the first game to make it worth picking up.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

we ♥ katamari is one of the single greatest games ever made and improves on the first game in every single way. Please look forward to it.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

except for the cowbear level. gently caress the cowbear level

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Was that Pikmin 5?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

There's always some bugs in hardware development, please understand.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lol they gave Kirby a cannon this time.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Butterfly Valley posted:

I found this review on reddit which says the face buttons feel mushy

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...nt=share_button

drat. well that's useless then.

What controller should I buy? I don't even have joycons now

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

VostokProgram posted:

I'd say either the official Switch Pro Controller or one of the 8BitDo ones (Ultimate, Pro 2, or SN30 Pro+ – but note that 8BitDo controllers can't wake up the system)

Zat fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Feb 24, 2023

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Zat posted:

I'd say either the official Switch Pro Controller or one of the 8BitDo ones (Ultimate, Pro 2, or SN30 Pro+ – but note that 8BitDo controllers can't wake up the system)

The Ultimate can, though it's weird, it's triggered by shaking the controller.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If I wanted to buy the Prime remake physical should I just wait a bit, or is that futile and I need to just get the digital version? Finding out this game is sold out and being scapled for $100 at launch sucks.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Its not out in a lot of other markets yet. If you can wait 2 weeks, things should cool off.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
i havemt posted in here in a while but i remember hearing somewhere the chrono cross remake was getting an update to make it less bad does anyone know what the timeframe is for that?

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

i havemt posted in here in a while but i remember hearing somewhere the chrono cross remake was getting an update to make it less bad does anyone know what the timeframe is for that?

Patch hit Wednesday.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

https://twitter.com/nintendolife/status/1628913860395630593

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I bought the vouchers intending to use one of them on Octopath 2 but I guess the joke's on me because while it can be used on the first game (As well as Bravely Default 2, Triangle Strategy, and Live a Live just to name a few Square Enix rpgs!) it can't be used on the new one.

It's not a huge deal because I'll just use them on Zelda and Pikmin 4 but annoying all the same!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think those were all published by Nintendo in the west, Octo 2 isn't because it's on everything else too?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Not at all????

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

that’s Feels Villeneuve

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

I think those were all published by Nintendo in the west, Octo 2 isn't because it's on everything else too?

That makes sense but also, boo to that.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

VostokProgram posted:

If it doesn't need to be a joy-con analogue that has to fit into the rails... I got one of the chinese Hall Effect controllers, the KingKong 2 Pro. Dumb name aside, i'm pretty satisfied with it. It's a bit lighter than the actual pro controller and has less battery life (but what controller ever reaches the insane 40 hours of the original pro), but it has good buttons imo, Dpad a little soft but decent, hall sticks and triggers, gyro aiming and the home button can wake the console from sleep which not many 3rd party controllers do.

It also works as an all-purpose controller, too. You can switch between Switch mode, Windows mode (XInput, should also work with XBox), Android mode and even the ancient DInput mode if you want to game retro. It also has a host of different settings built-in, like switching A/B and X/Y inputs (or rapid-fire, or no-deadzone-mode) and i used it to play through God of War 2018 on my PC that way, too.

Also comes with a hard plastic shell, and while it's a pretty cheap looking/feeling shell and the hinge is flimsy, i've been stuffing the controller into my backpack (loaded with other hard-edged electronics like my notebook and power bank) every day for the past month or two, and it hasn't broken. A great travel option, too.

Would be literally the perfect controller if it had back paddles, imo

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

An Actual Princess posted:

we ♥ katamari is one of the single greatest games ever made and improves on the first game in every single way. Please look forward to it.

The racetrack level is a masterclass in fun.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

to the person wondering how they could possibly escalate the scale in We ♥️ Katamari, I’m just gonna go ahead and say that they do and you will have to see it for yourself. the final level is amazing. I can’t wait to play this game again

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

codenameFANGIO posted:

to the person wondering how they could possibly escalate the scale in We ♥️ Katamari, I’m just gonna go ahead and say that they do and you will have to see it for yourself. the final level is amazing. I can’t wait to play this game again

I can't remember how many Katamari games there are, but the escalation was perfect between KD, We <3 Katamari, and then Beautiful Katamari.

BK got some poo poo for it having all of its DLC on the disc at launch that you had to pay to unlock, but that aside, it's a fantastic game. I hope that gets ported next.

We <3 Katamari is still my favourite. Best music, best levels (yes, except for cowbear), best ending experience.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

https://twitter.com/wyattduncan/status/1628586364320235521

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Mario Kart has been perfected :discourse:

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
i think steely dan kind of suck poo poo but tbh im impressed how well that works

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So is the new Kirby game a re-release of an older one or a totally new game? Or is it kinda like an older game but with a whole lot of updates and new stuff?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Feb 24, 2023

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

GreatGreen posted:

So is the new Kirby game a re-release of an older one or a totally new game?
It's a remaster of the Wii game. It has some additional content at the end though.

Personally I find it a bit hard to justify at $60. Some folks claim the graphical improvements are "on the order of Metroid Prime" which I think is a tall statement, but even at face value the latter only costs $40.

I think Nintendo's move here is that Kirby and the Forgotten Land was so well received that any Kirby game they release should be priced at $60, and they just keep pretending that Metroid sells for poo poo even with ample evidence to the contrary.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Novasol posted:

The Ultimate can, though it's weird, it's triggered by shaking the controller.

:whoptc: did not know this

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, apparently it’s just a remake of Return to Dreamland for the Wii with a couple new features (such as a new copy ability, some new minigames and an unlockable mode where you play as Magalor)

For anyone that’s tried it, how do they translate some of the waggle mechanics like the Mega Inhale to normal controls? Also are Meta Knight, Dedede, and Waddle Dee still multiplayer only outside of The Arena/True Arena?

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

codenameFANGIO posted:

Huh. I'd kinda been assuming they couldn't but now I guess I have to buy it and find out.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

We <3 Katamari is still my favourite. Best music

Still not sure I believe that.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I know that I played and own we <3 katamari but I don't remember anything about it. I hope it stays that way when I play it

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Minish Cap would be the best 2d Zelda if you didn't have to gachopon 135 baubles to %100 it

Also if it dropped more of the loving Kinstones shaped like a capital C Jesus Christ everybody wants one of these and I've got like two of the loving things the whole game

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 24, 2023

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Sounds like your brain is broken OP.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

It's a remaster of the Wii game. It has some additional content at the end though.

Personally I find it a bit hard to justify at $60. Some folks claim the graphical improvements are "on the order of Metroid Prime" which I think is a tall statement, but even at face value the latter only costs $40.

I think Nintendo's move here is that Kirby and the Forgotten Land was so well received that any Kirby game they release should be priced at $60, and they just keep pretending that Metroid sells for poo poo even with ample evidence to the contrary.

What is the ample evidence to the contrary? Even Dread's success is fairly minor for the Switch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah I got 100% in Minish when it came out and I was a teenager. No way I'm doing that again.