Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/ksheely/status/1628668738319818753

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Oh yeah, I forgot my parents just got back from a cruise to Mexico all on the company’s dime because they went on one to Canada last year where one of the engines went out so the ship could only cruise at half speed and missed a couple of planned stops because of it. That must have been loving nice lol

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Speaking of cruises, I just tried to book a day trip down to the Keys, but the giant rear end Glass Bottom Boat that does tours is under going annual maintenance (at the height of tourist season for some reason...). Maybe next week...

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Not keen on a cruise but I am so keen to lie on a beach somewhere for a week with fancy cocktails.

jaadee
May 3, 2013
How do folks decide what and when to spend on non-essential things? I'm talking either physical objects or experiences, although thinking of spending on experiences especially causes me angst.

I grew up wanting for very little but also with parents who didn't see value in spending money on much of anything besides the bare essentials. I'm now in a comfortable spot where I can save $50k a year after maxing my 401k contribution and putting aside $500 a month for random bullshit. My partner makes 2x what I do, albeit with a larger burn that puts her at around the same amount saved per year as me.

We're thinking we want to move into a larger home in 2-3 years, which would mean leaving behind the sweet $1400/month mortgage and getting double-blasted by 2x-3x the interest rate and 3x-4x the house cost. I start getting panicky every time I think about entering the housing market in the 800k-1.2mil range as it stands today, and as a result am finding myself hesitant to discuss any sort of real trip somewhere that would eat at what I view as my end of the "housing fund". Side note: the partner loves trips, loves them more than purchasing any physical object.

Do I just need to accept that the next house is going to be incredibly painful on our finances regardless of my saving habits over the next few years, and enjoy things while life is good?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

jaadee posted:

enjoy things while life is good?

Yes. You’re not guaranteed tomorrow. Not saying blow all your money but what’s the use of living if you don’t, you know, live?

Take the trip. Money comes and money goes, but memories are forever. Make them and don’t feel guilty while doing so.

You’re worth it.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
In my experience traveling is almost always worth the expense. Go and experience things, it's probably one of the greatest things you can do in your life.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

wandler20 posted:

In my experience traveling is almost always worth the expense. Go and experience things, it's probably one of the greatest things you can do in your life.

Agreed. I’ve never regretted a trip or vacation I’ve ever taken. I have *definitely* regretted skipping trips.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

LeeMajors posted:

Agreed. I’ve never regretted a trip or vacation I’ve ever taken. I have *definitely* regretted skipping trips.

I’ve had a couple trips I regretted going on, but yea in general, vacations are a way better investment than physical objects.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Bird in a Blender posted:

I’ve had a couple trips I regretted going on, but yea in general, vacations are a way better investment than physical objects.

I’ve regretted traveling with certain people, but the trips themselves were always worth it.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

jaadee posted:

How do folks decide what and when to spend on non-essential things? I'm talking either physical objects or experiences, although thinking of spending on experiences especially causes me angst.

I grew up wanting for very little but also with parents who didn't see value in spending money on much of anything besides the bare essentials. I'm now in a comfortable spot where I can save $50k a year after maxing my 401k contribution and putting aside $500 a month for random bullshit. My partner makes 2x what I do, albeit with a larger burn that puts her at around the same amount saved per year as me.

We're thinking we want to move into a larger home in 2-3 years, which would mean leaving behind the sweet $1400/month mortgage and getting double-blasted by 2x-3x the interest rate and 3x-4x the house cost. I start getting panicky every time I think about entering the housing market in the 800k-1.2mil range as it stands today, and as a result am finding myself hesitant to discuss any sort of real trip somewhere that would eat at what I view as my end of the "housing fund". Side note: the partner loves trips, loves them more than purchasing any physical object.

Do I just need to accept that the next house is going to be incredibly painful on our finances regardless of my saving habits over the next few years, and enjoy things while life is good?

I’m poor and can’t afford any significant non-essentials. Decision making made ez pz.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

LeeMajors posted:

I’ve regretted traveling with certain people, but the trips themselves were always worth it.

This is very true for me. The woman who broke my heart last year, we took a train trip out east last March and she got into an incredible snit one morning because the hotel pool was closed (due to a power outage the previous night, so it wasn't sanitary), and she was in a sour mood for the entire goddamn day. Refused to even go out for dinner, insisted on the lovely hotel buffet because she didn't want to do anything.

I should have seen the warning signs then and there, but I didn't, and I let things string along until she dumped me right before my birthday in July.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

jaadee posted:

Travel. And treat yourself from time to time on nice meals.

You are saving a shitload of money -- you should enjoy some of it because what good is it if you never use it? To buy a house that seems like it will cause even more angst?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

jaadee posted:

How do folks decide what and when to spend on non-essential things?

There's an argument to be made for keeping your nut small; keep the obligations (mortgage, car payment, loans) low as possible and adjust the level of fun you're having to the amount of free income you have.

I failed that because I like creature comforts and borrowed heavily. It's restricted me from travelling as much as I used to enjoy; I don't think I've taken a trip more than 1-2 states away in a decade. I'm also helping two nieces through college (not paying for it, but helping out financially).

I'd say live with a smaller house and an older car, and go enjoy doing poo poo.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
If you have a bunch of money to blow like it seems you do buy a PS5, get a wheel and pedals, get PS VR2 and live your best racecar dreams.

https://twitter.com/mirais_vr/status/1628570163670044673

https://twitter.com/HARU86_GAME/status/1628211146133217280

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I like having stuff but tbh my dream kinda to float round the world with a laptop writing and going wherever I feel like.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Travel while you can, nthing that. I've traveled a fair bit, I want to do more, but health concerns make it harder for me now and a time may come when I can't do it at all, like my mom. Don't wait for retirement.

re: buying a house, come visit the house buying thread. You don't have a binary choice between your current situation or a huge expensive house with a huge loan, there are intermediate options that you might find more palatable.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

If you’ve got money to blow, just have a kid. That will take away all your money, and traveling with a small child kind of sucks, so you won’t want to do that either.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

jaadee posted:

What helped me get over my own “I need to save any penny because I could be on another long unemployment stint” mental block is creating a 6 month buffer of savings, sticking it in a bank account called “In Case Of Emergency”, and treating it like such. Knowing I have that reserve to protect me, and that I’ve ran the numbers that it’ll cover my mortgage & bills for a considerable amount of time removed a lot of needless worrying about “what if” and turned it into a more straightforward “Do I want to spend this money to do this thing?”

Now, on the one hand I’m spending most of May in Italy, which because of this line of thinking, I’m able to pick hotels and activities based more on “rule of cool” than “sort: cost low to high.” But! I also used this thinking to see every single Wisconsin football game in 2018. Home, away, and Pinstripe Bowl.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

jaadee you should give me $10k of the $50k you are saving annually

nothing feels better than giving imo and i'm broke

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Me and the wife out shoveling 2 feet of snow as a city bulldozer went by clearing the streets, he musta felt bad about the thigh high burm at the end of the driveway, he waves us out of the way and clears it off all the way to our cars. Musta saved us a couple of hours.

She’s loving it tho

a sexual elk fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 24, 2023

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

a sexual elk posted:

Me and the wife out shoveling 2 feet of snow as a city bulldozer went by clearing the streets, he musta felt bad about the thigh high burm at the end of the driveway, he waves us out of the way and clears it off all the way to our cars. Musta saved us a couple of hours.

She’s loving it tho

hell yeah

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

If you’ve got money to blow, just have a kid. That will take away all your money, and traveling with a small child kind of sucks, so you won’t want to do that either.

:negative:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Speaking of vacations…

Rain didn't discourage my trip to Disneyland. Never been to Star Wars Galaxy's Edge so I spent most of the day there.

Built me a droid. I'll name it OU-812. Definitely "cheaper" than a lightsaber.

I did do other rides like Splash Mountain. Spending :20bux: on Genie+ was worth it.

Smuggler's Run was pretty cool (when it wasn't temporarily shut down). Being the engineer meant yelling "She can't take much mood this, captain!" in the worst Scottish accent.

Rise of the Resistance also broke down, but it was my favorite ride out of the whole day.

I heard the Disney cruises have Star Wars segments but I get seasick too easily (Star Tours had me take a breather afterwards).

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Its pretty fun having flexibility and freedom as your own boss who works remotely most of the time but I am slightly jealous of the old corporate work environment. It was a great social network to have.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Amy Pole Her posted:

Its pretty fun having flexibility and freedom as your own boss who works remotely most of the time but I am slightly jealous of the old corporate work environment. It was a great social network to have.

I'm one of the dinosaurs that got to see the meteor coming. I despise working from home and miss our full pre-COVID office. The upcoming change in the nature of office work is probably going to break me.

Not hating on other people that get to. I just cannot get anything done at home.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Id love to be completely independent of other people's bullshit and solely responsible for my income tbh.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Amy Pole Her posted:

Apart from the week last summer when I traveled to HQ, I haven't spoken to a co-worker in-person since March 2020. But I was already remote relative to my day-to-day contacts so that's not too crazy (HQ in CA, me in PA). I actually have a co-worker from my last job who wants to meet up for lunch while they're in town for a conference next month, that'll be nice.

I liked full WFH for a couple of years there but our son is almost a year old and I just can't get poo poo done anymore while he's awake. Fortunately we found a good sitter to come over for a few hours a couple of times a week, it's enough to let me keep up with work.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Feb 24, 2023

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Hot Diggity! posted:

If you have a bunch of money to blow like it seems you do buy a PS5, get a wheel and pedals, get PS VR2 and live your best racecar dreams.

https://twitter.com/mirais_vr/status/1628570163670044673

https://twitter.com/HARU86_GAME/status/1628211146133217280

I just got a wheel and pedals last week but I only have a PS4 so I get to cry on the sidelines while all the GT7 Goons in the Discord play with their shiny new PSVR2s :(

Got a 2nd place finish in a Manufacturer Cup race last night tho

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Ugh, just got home and it's -20. Thankfully tomorrow should be the last of the super cold bullshit. The extended forecast shows low 30s and I'm excited for it.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Joey Freshwater posted:

I got a fire pit for my place and boy am I stoked to make some s’mores

I need to get one of those, I have a huge pile of dried out wood from when I took out a few junky trees last year

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

So I won $200 in a lottery. Should I put it away, or blow it all on PowerBall/Mega Millions tix?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

GD_American posted:

It's really sad how few of the soldiers that were stationed over there took advantage of BEING IN loving EUROPE. Like you said, they could just rent a car or buy/borrow a hooptie from another soldier.

Same thing for Japan, at least for a good number of them. Especially Okinawa, because that’s got tons of 18-year-old Marines fresh out of high school and basic.

I haven’t been on a base in years and don’t need to. Except for, like, if I ever wanted to do a full turkey for Thanksgiving. But that’s about it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

Same - I’m beyond grateful I got to travel a ton for work and personal reasons in 2019, and by that I mean 4 different continents and 8 different countries, because I haven’t been on a plane in more than 3 years by now. (This is partially COVID but now mostly the baby).

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Android Apocalypse posted:

Built me a droid. I'll name it OU-812. Definitely "cheaper" than a lightsaber.

I want you to know this made me laugh because I happened to have the album OU812 playing as I was reading this.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

lol, a kid.

I doubt I will ever even go on a date again

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

harperdc posted:

Same - I’m beyond grateful I got to travel a ton for work and personal reasons in 2019, and by that I mean 4 different continents and 8 different countries, because I haven’t been on a plane in more than 3 years by now. (This is partially COVID but now mostly the baby).

We are supposed to be going to Thailand at the end of year to see the in-laws and my wife is planning to fly out a couple of weeks ahead of me with the baby in order to get some additional family time, which sure knock yourself out bud. We flew to Florida for Thanksgiving and he was at least good on that flight.

Her sister has been living with us for a while but is supposed to be moving home for good by the end of the year, going to see if we can't time things so that they fly there together.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

C-Euro posted:

We are supposed to be going to Thailand at the end of year to see the in-laws and my wife is planning to fly out a couple of weeks ahead of me with the baby in order to get some additional family time, which sure knock yourself out bud. We flew to Florida for Thanksgiving and he was at least good on that flight.

Her sister has been living with us for a while but is supposed to be moving home for good by the end of the year, going to see if we can't time things so that they fly there together.

You might be in the same place but if we came to visit we’d likely need both passports just to be safe, because both Japan and the US are countries that require dual citizens to enter on that passport instead of their other one. I need a little bit more of a break after doing my own paperwork before sticking my hand back in the bureaucracy woodchipper sounds like fun (at least I never have to get a visa here again).

My buddy lives in Australia, and coming back to the US with his toddler for the first time this summer. 14 hours in the air for just one flight. Thailand can’t be easier, don’t think anybody in the US does BKK direct do they (LAX)?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I was pleasantly surprised how well my daughter did on her first flight. We hit some big turbulence going into Denver and she was cheering like she was on an amusement park ride (while the rest of us were groaning and gripping our arm rests lol).

I’m really glad the flights were direct and <5hrs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

So I won $200 in a lottery. Should I put it away, or blow it all on PowerBall/Mega Millions tix?

50/50 split imo