Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Fecha posted:

They hear Kat’s voice from a nearby monitor as she says “Chill out guys, that’s what was supposed to happen! Haha didn’t I warn you?”

For the new page, lmao.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

"My birth cry will be the sound of every phone on this planet ringing in unison"

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
My life as a teenage speaker.

Still, cool stuff is happening. I’m happy.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

The entire Kat happens offscreen

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Skyelan posted:

so long suckers! i blow up my science wand and create a mild cloud of smoke. when the cloud dissipates im lying completely dead on the pavement
Thread titles need more space

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Nettle Soup posted:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nettle Soup posted:

I'm pretty sure she's going to be literally on screens soon.

I wonder if she was piggybacking off her robot transfer code and forgot to comment out some stuff.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Well, Annie is there. So...
Best outcome: Psychopomps show up insisting Annie collect Kat because she's obviously dead.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Captain Oblivious posted:

The script says I need you two to do this surgery even though it makes little sense, so lets do it we gotta wrap this thing up by 5

God it’s all so dumb
Kat is constantly doing stuff like this though. She messed up so bad at one point the universe sent someone to give her a magic lobotomy.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
why are Paz and Annie angry in panels 5 and 6? That is not a normal reaction to this situation. It would make sense for them to be angry at Kat after they hear her say "it kinda worked," if they're thinking "god dammit kat you WANTED this to happen, and didn't even warn us?" But surely until then they ought to still be extremely alarmed that their friend has been violently removed from her own body apparently on accident.

It probably wouldn't bother me much if it weren't for the weird stuff with Paz crying and then smiling. I just have no fuckin idea what's going on inside the characters' heads.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Okay, it's okay, developments are still happening. Still huffing the copium, yall

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
are they just gonna throw her body in the bin

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

YaketySass posted:

are they just gonna throw her body in the bin

Maybe we're going to get some Weekend at Boxbot's action going on.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

So I guess that single tear was just some weird emotional beat that didn't land.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

DontMockMySmock posted:

why are Paz and Annie angry in panels 5 and 6? That is not a normal reaction to this situation. It would make sense for them to be angry at Kat after they hear her say "it kinda worked," if they're thinking "god dammit kat you WANTED this to happen, and didn't even warn us?" But surely until then they ought to still be extremely alarmed that their friend has been violently removed from her own body apparently on accident.

No, no, I think they're right tto be pissed then even before she said it kinda worked. Kat doesn't read like she's scared or concerned at all about where she is, and just reads like she's having trouble finding a lightswitch. They seemed to realize pretty quick what Kat did after the initial "Oh poo poo she exploded" moment wore off and she was grumbling about needing to find things.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

DontMockMySmock posted:

It probably wouldn't bother me much if it weren't for the weird stuff with Paz crying and then smiling. I just have no fuckin idea what's going on inside the characters' heads.

I mean I know I've been unreasonably angry when otherwise brilliant people completely whiff it when it comes to finding the microphone option in Zoom.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
That speaker wasn't threre before, now was it?

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Welp. Kat's dead. There's a copy of her in the cloud or whatever, but Kat's dead. Congratulations, Kat. You're dead and nobody will ever know because there's a perfect digital clone of you.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Inglonias posted:

Welp. Kat's dead. There's a copy of her in the cloud or whatever, but Kat's dead. Congratulations, Kat. You're dead and nobody will ever know because there's a perfect digital clone of you.

I don't think it makes sense to compare this to more materialistic sci-fi debates over the continuity of the self because in this world the existence of souls is an objective fact.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

You know what? You're right. Huzzah for there being no interesting moral quandary. This time.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

also we've got no proof that Kat's not remotely running this poo poo from her brain. sure she's collapsed but that means her attention is elsewhere and it's just autonomous systems keeping her alive.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Inglonias posted:

She just needs to figure out the port settings and IP address to access the meatshell. Simple mistake really, who hasn't forgotten to write those things down before ascending to a state of transhumanism? It's like forgetting the combination to your locker, that's all.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

not one iota of scepticism

lol

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

It'll turn out that robot murdered Kat and has been imitating her personality.

"Haha hey guys wouldn't it be great if everyone bowed down to me and crowned me the robot goddess??"

Ohh her robot goddess form is going to turn out to just be the life support shell she designs for her now inanimate corpse.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The entire crew was somber and almost traumatized for a chapter and a half when Smitty nearly died at the point of a sword.

This poo poo is now so tone deaf that there is a panel where two people who seconds ago saw a lifelong best friend / committed romantic partner plausibly die or become crippled...share an exchange of "haha that's frustrating but that's so like her too lol" played for laughs.

This comic is entirely incapable of taking even one emotionally real scene consistently and believably serious for longer than nine panels, because the characters are now just zombies on a checkerboard and nothing really matters very much to them.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Feb 24, 2023

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Cavatica posted:

I mean I know I've been unreasonably angry when otherwise brilliant people completely whiff it when it comes to finding the microphone option in Zoom.

One of my favorite things in college is seeing PhDs struggle with setting up their computer for Zoom, class, etc. Makes me feel a little more confident about myself 😂

Potato Salad posted:

The entire crew was somber and almost traumatized for a chapter and a half when Smitty nearly died at the point of a sword.

This poo poo is now so tone deaf that there is a panel where two people who seconds ago saw a lifelong best friend / committed romantic partner plausibly die or become crippled...share an exchange of "haha that's frustrating but that's so like her too lol" played for laughs.

This comic is entirely incapable of taking even one emotionally scene consistently and believably serious for longer than nine panels, because the characters are now just zombies on a checkerboard and nothing really matters very much to them.

Yeah this really.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

:phoneb: "Hey, I know you're also wondering if our lives just radically changed in one of the most immediate, sudden, and horrifying ways that someone can experience, but can I just say "lol IT problems" am I right?

:phone: "Haha yep Zoom microphone problems, haha that's Kat for you"

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Nettle Soup posted:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Splicer posted:

Best outcome: Psychopomps show up insisting Annie collect Kat because she's obviously dead.
Worst outcome: Sony reps show up because Kat definitely violated the warranty on that speaker.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Tom needs to make this more real by showing what a wreck Kat's body is now. She needs to wake up to find she's shat herself and lost several teeth from faceplanting directly onto the hard floor. Make it visceral af!!!!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Potato Salad posted:

:phoneb: "Hey, I know you're also wondering if our lives just radically changed in one of the most immediate, sudden, and horrifying ways that someone can experience, but can I just say "lol IT problems" am I right?

:phone: "Haha yep Zoom microphone problems, haha that's Kat for you"
I do wish the faces page was less cartoonish.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

GunnerJ posted:

Tom needs to make this more real by showing what a wreck Kat's body is now. She needs to wake up to find she's shat herself and lost several teeth from faceplanting directly onto the hard floor. Make it visceral af!!!!

I know you're probably joking but honestly this is weird.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Potato Salad posted:

This comic is entirely incapable of taking even one emotionally real scene consistently and believably serious for longer than nine panels, because the characters are now just zombies on a checkerboard and nothing really matters very much to them.

Nailed it very well, to the point that "zombies on a checkboard" feels like a good thread title in itself.

I'm sure some people reading this thread are like "look at them trying so hard to be negative when something cool happened!!", and I want to be clear that we're not doomsaying here. I'm still excited to see where this goes! But stuff like this really underlines that even when something exciting happens, the comic has definitely fallen from its former glory and this isn't some sign of a sudden turnaround from a low point. For a while, I hoped that'd be the case - that the comic was just suffering a kind of off period from COVID/the author dealing with things like marriage and starting a family. But the longer it goes on, the more obvious it is that something just... changed, something that I don't think is going to change back.

Stuff like this almost feels like he got tired of writing the comic he was writing, like, tonally. Like he wants to write something more lighthearted and anime. So you've got all this poo poo like wacky teen romance just kind of shoehorned in, all the while speedrunning the plot threads that were set up when the comic was a darker and more mysterious YA adventure. Cartoony >:| faces as they're kneeling next to their friend's empty shell while she casually does a transhumanity.

It feels wild to compare to a chapter like this. (Perhaps unfair because it's a Zimmy chapter but also I feel like Kat Finally Achieves Godhood should have more gravitas. It's also worthwhile to mention since it's the first time we had a glance of God Kat. And hey, it also involves someone mysteriously collapsing. Look how hosed up Kat looks by comparison to how Paz and Annie look now.)

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 24, 2023

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Well the lighthearted elements, antliclimaxes, understated reactions, etc. were always there but the comic used to include them a lot more sparingly. Now they feel like the default.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

YaketySass posted:

Well the lighthearted elements, antliclimaxes, understated reactions, etc. were always there but the comic used to include them a lot more sparingly. Now they feel like the default.

That's true. Sometimes they felt a little out of place, but for the most part they felt deserved, maybe because of their contrast with the darker elements making them feel like deliberate choices to break up tension. Now the whole thing feels a bit phoned in.

It's definitely okay to have lighter elements in a darker thing, and I do prefer that to nonstop grimdark or whatever. But we effectively went to the beach episode and never left.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Tiny Myers posted:

It feels wild to compare to a chapter like this.

That chapter really is an excellent example. Like look at this page, we see a huge range of emotions on Kat's face - paranoia, anger, shock, worry, even a goofy cartoony one! There's lots of details drawn on her face to really sell each of her strong emotions, and the colors are very faded and washed out to show the seriousness / reality of the situation. The cartoony face is there to keep the mood from going completely dark (this isn't a horror comic or anything) and is only shown when Kat is confused over what's happening.

Compare to today's comic. The colors are saturated and bright, giving a less serious and more cartoony appearance. The faces aren't drawn with much detail, making them appear less expressive - the eyes are pretty much the same in every non-cartoony panel, and the only expressions really seem to be "shocked" or "annoyed". These girls just thought one of their closest friends was dead, they should probably have a more robust response than "oh man, that was a nasty prank you pulled on us!!" - whether that be anger, relief, sorrow, or any weird combination of those. There's two (arguably more) panels where the faces are drawn with overly cartoony expressions or proportions, and placed in panels where presumably the girls should be much more explicitly expressive and serious.

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

I usually read this every other month when I'm reminded of it. But this chapter has been really weird, like am I even reading the same story? But I agree today felt very odd, I would like an event like this would be similar to the Zimmy chapter linked earlier.

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009

Faust IX posted:

...has Kat ever made a Brain To Machine Interface yet? I mean, that sounds like the origin of accidentally creating SHODAN-Kat.

I WAS loving JOKING TOM.

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Nettle Soup posted:

Yes, please.

So the next step is for Kat to go full Roko's Basilisk for maximum tech-bro idiocy, right? That's why she was sending stuff back in time, to make sure Annie was alive to perform trivial surgery to turn her into a machine god!