Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Basically the boomers were the last generation to enjoy socially acceptable drug dependence, because like many things they pulled up the ladder and still expect the same results from drastically different material conditions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
Speaking of bored housewives, there is a job related to this that appears in most of Agatha Christie's stories, a job that no longer exists - the female companion.

The job was basically for a woman to be a friend to a wealthier woman. At the lowest levels (still in the middle class, mind) this job seems like it at most could include some occasional cooking or light dusting, but usually a companion was decidedly not part of "the help". It would not do to befriend the help after all, so a companion certainly held a certain status above most other employees, so the fact that they were still paid at all usually had to be handled with some finesse from both parties. Even so, this was a proper job that was advertised in newspapers and everything, and companions would have references from the women they had previously worked for when they applied for a new position. They were employed by both married and unmarried women, but it seems like rumors could start fermenting if an unmarried woman lived with the same companion for too long. These rumors are only alluded to in the vaguest terms in a few of the books, usually only something like "who knows what kind of jealousies can develop when two women live together for so long.", which is what a policeman says in After the Funeral after a woman who lived with only her companion ends up murdered.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sweevo posted:

"Horny Widow" was a common character trope in older literature. The idea was that because they'd been married and experienced sex they became insatiable and ready to jump into bed with anyone. Any woman whose husband was dead, away for extended periods, or just couldn't perform somehow was seen as an easy target for smooth-talking cads. So books from the 1800s-early 1900s are full of 40-something widows seducing or being seduced by handsome younger men.

I expect, having done absolutely no research, that there were also a lot more young-ish widows around, what with the Great War etc.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

drrockso20 posted:

I mean once that happened Housewives mostly just switched over to sleeping pills or "diet pills" and of course lots of booze

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-zxBNz3XbM

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO-jHGCX2Gc

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Basically the boomers were the last generation to enjoy socially acceptable drug dependence, because like many things they pulled up the ladder and still expect the same results from drastically different material conditions.

loving boomers won’t let me get addicted to drugs! What assholes.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Unironically

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i mean have at it *gestures at opiods*

even the lovely otc ones are addictive

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

thetoughestbean posted:

Yes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
They don’t prevent you from getting addicted to drugs.

They just crush you with the prison‐industrial complex if you do.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

thetoughestbean posted:

Yeah. It sucks actually.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
One last Agatha Christie fun fact.

Christie invented a character that was a very thinly veiled self-insert that appeared in a few of her stories - Ariadne Oliver, a famous writer of mystery novels starring a foreign detective. This character was mostly there to poke fun at both herself and the kinds of readers who took her books too seriously. She was mostly used to say things like that of course she knows that real life murders are very different from murders in her novels. The fun fact comes in Cards on the Table, a book from 1936, when she explains why the murderers in her books almost never used guns. Here Ariadne explains that any time she included a gun in one of her stories and got some terminology slightly wrong she would be absolutely flooded by mail from readers complaining about it, so it was much easier to just stick to knives and poison. So already in the 1930s, gun nerds were already so insufferable that the most successful crime writer of all time did her best to avoid writing about guns just to avoid getting mail from them.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Offler posted:

One last Agatha Christie fun fact.

Christie invented a character that was a very thinly veiled self-insert that appeared in a few of her stories - Ariadne Oliver, a famous writer of mystery novels starring a foreign detective. This character was mostly there to poke fun at both herself and the kinds of readers who took her books too seriously. She was mostly used to say things like that of course she knows that real life murders are very different from murders in her novels. The fun fact comes in Cards on the Table, a book from 1936, when she explains why the murderers in her books almost never used guns. Here Ariadne explains that any time she included a gun in one of her stories and got some terminology slightly wrong she would be absolutely flooded by mail from readers complaining about it, so it was much easier to just stick to knives and poison. So already in the 1930s, gun nerds were already so insufferable that the most successful crime writer of all time did her best to avoid writing about guns just to avoid getting mail from them.

Nerds. Nerds never change.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

That's great :allears:

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Offler posted:

Speaking of bored housewives, there is a job related to this that appears in most of Agatha Christie's stories, a job that no longer exists - the female companion.

The job was basically for a woman to be a friend to a wealthier woman. At the lowest levels (still in the middle class, mind) this job seems like it at most could include some occasional cooking or light dusting, but usually a companion was decidedly not part of "the help". It would not do to befriend the help after all, so a companion certainly held a certain status above most other employees, so the fact that they were still paid at all usually had to be handled with some finesse from both parties. Even so, this was a proper job that was advertised in newspapers and everything, and companions would have references from the women they had previously worked for when they applied for a new position. They were employed by both married and unmarried women, but it seems like rumors could start fermenting if an unmarried woman lived with the same companion for too long. These rumors are only alluded to in the vaguest terms in a few of the books, usually only something like "who knows what kind of jealousies can develop when two women live together for so long.", which is what a policeman says in After the Funeral after a woman who lived with only her companion ends up murdered.

"Just roommates" is a trope older than time

(It's lesbians)

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Some people also are bi...

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

doverhog posted:

Some people also are bi...

Yeah, but then you'd just get married and have a close personal "maid" or something like that.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Everything I know about Edwardian lesbians I’ve learned from You Rang M’Lord?

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled
https://twitter.com/WeirdMedieval/status/1623676900722843649?t=_HgxkHKvpAOGlRYiVpVCZA&s=19

:iiam:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Alhazred posted:

A fun fact about this is that Charles XII fled from a war he was losing against Peter the Great. His host, Ahmed 3rd, then got so sick of him that he sent 4000 soldiers to get rid of him, the only thing that preventing the soldiers from massacring Charles XII and his entourage was the sultan had given strict orders that the king in exile was to be captured alive. Charles XII then spent a year in a prison cell and only decided to return to Sweden when he learned that he was going to be replaced with his sister. During his time in exile he had racked up a huge debt and his debtors went with him to make sure they got paid. Charles XII then disguised himself with a brown wig and fled from the debtors.

For a long time I only ever knew Charles XII from the sabaton album that came out when I was a teenager. It was fun to learn years later that he was less the war god of nerd metal and more a total goober stumbling from shenanigan to shenanigan. Greatest accomplishment: invention of IKEA food.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

It's a vagina:ms:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Christ's woussy be gushin'

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

For a long time I only ever knew Charles XII from the sabaton album that came out when I was a teenager. It was fun to learn years later that he was less the war god of nerd metal and more a total goober stumbling from shenanigan to shenanigan. Greatest accomplishment: invention of IKEA food.

Him bringing back the meatballs is probably apocryphal

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Gaius Marius posted:

Him bringing back the meatballs is probably apocryphal

Yeah. it was dolma :ssh: Kåldolmar in :sweden:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

kåldolmere ftw

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Carthag Tuek posted:

kåldolmere ftw

I saw on Youtube an American put catsup in and on cabbage wraps :barf:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I saw on Youtube an American put catsup in and on cabbage wraps :barf:

i may have done that as a child, but when i became an adult i put away childish things

caspergers
Oct 1, 2021

trickybiscuits posted:

:eng101: Santa Claus is actually derived from the Dutch Sinterklaas, the feast of Saint Nicholas, a tall, solemn bishop who gave children gifts and treats on December 5. The Dutch brought Sinterklaas with them to New Netherland/New York. In the early 1800s Washington Irving mentioned Sinterklaas in some of his writing, which apparently led to the poem "'Twas the Night Before Christmas" which introduced Santa Claus in his familiar bowl-full-of-jelly form to the United States.

Replying to a seven year old post to say (I learned this recently) that the legend of Santa was also partly inspired by Odin, the long-bearded figure riding through the sky on his eight-legged horse. One of Odin's names is Jólnir, meaning "Yule figure". Since Odin was worshiped by the Anglos, it's no surprise it was incorporated with St. Nicolas into Father Christmas and so on.

caspergers
Oct 1, 2021
So what I really mean is I caught my mom kissing an ancient germanic god

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m in camp “Sleipnir didn’t originally have eight legs. That’s just how artists depicted the speed of the steed.“

Loki def. birthed Sleipnir though.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 13:47 on Feb 16, 2023

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Platystemon posted:

I’m in camp “Sleipnir didn’t originally have eight legs. That’s just how artists depicted the speed of the steed.“

Loki def. birth Sleipnir though.

Hanna Barbera rear end mythology

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

To Hel with the Dráugìr in Gård six

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

To Hel with the Dráugìr in Gård six

JabberJörmungandr

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Loki def. birthed Sleipnir though.

But how were the eight Iegs pIaced on the body? Four pairs of two Iegs? Or four front Iegs and four backIegs?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Four and four, but four point down and four up and they're constantly rotating

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

BattyKiara posted:

But how were the eight Iegs pIaced on the body? Four pairs of two Iegs? Or four front Iegs and four backIegs?

Think "Biblically accurate angel except with legs instead of eyes."

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

caspergers posted:

Jólnir, meaning "Yule figure".
The Christmas Dude.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Alhazred posted:

The Christmas Dude.

* Yule Dude :mad:

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

M'jölnir. :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Sorry for posting just a twitter link, I think it fits the thread to a t (to a c?), though:

https://twitter.com/vagina_museum/status/1628403345198022656?s=20