Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

I want to breath some life into an old sandy bridge that's just like, generic workstation and light gaming (not high resolution, warframe and against the storm is as high as it goes). Its served me pretty well, but ah,

My gpu fan up and died and I thought it'd be fairly easy to get a replacement off craigslist.(radeon hd 5850, it is in fact old enough it got version lapped) I'm currently learning about the wide world of UEFI modern computing.

(motherboard is a Z68A-GD65 (B3)one

(my psu is fine. its an evga supernova 750 watt so its good for most everything.)

If any goons remember old graphics cards from the sandy bridge/ivy bridge era, I'd appreciate a recommendation for one that I could ebay and throw. Second hand is fine, I'm more just looking for something from the right era to plop in and have work.

I'm not looking to spend a bunch of money refreshing the system, sadly, its just about making the zombie keep running.

Apparently gtx 970's work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I have a 980 Ti I don't need.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

busfahrer posted:

It sort of feels like an issue with streaming in new assets, since it feels like it happens more often when entering new areas, but it doesn't make sense, I have two M2 disks, both a 980 pro and a P3 Plus which both should be plenty fast for 5 year old games.

edit: Also, when it happens, I can glance up at the fps counter and it will briefly show 56 or something (since it only updates once each second, so it's probably averaging out a bit)

In order I'd try:

1. Sounds a lot like VSync stutter, so first try doing that. Turn off VSync entirely, it will not help you at all.
2. I assume this is a new install, Windows and all? Is anything in device manager showing as not properly loaded? This was years ago but I had a system that had a USB hub that was bringing things to it's knees every so often trying to incorrectly poll a device that wasn't there.
3. You have NVidia Shadowplay or any other recording/streaming software off, right?
4. Try disabling anti-virus as a test
5. Do your NVMEs need software installed?

And yeah, get a new monitor. You should be able to kill a 1440p high framerate monitor and I promise even if you think 1080p60 is fine for you, the quality and experience with a better monitor will be SIGNIFICANT. You don't need to get a top of the line either.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

TheParadigm posted:

I want to breath some life into an old sandy bridge

GPUs use PCI Express and it's backwards compatible, so any GPU will work fine in that.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

maybe not intel GPUs since those are so reliant on reBAR and i don't think any boards of that era support it

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It does seem really odd to blow like 1500 bucks on a new computer and not add in 250 for a monitor that matches it in any way

My friend keeps getting all my hand-me-down parts so he has a 3070 right now, but also I tried to make him use my older 21:9 34" Alienware, and he absolutely refuses, he hated how many things break in Windows for him on 21:9 so he's still on a 1080p. With the 3070.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Zero VGS posted:

he hated how many things break in Windows for him on 21:9 so he's still on a 1080p. With the 3070.
Things break in Windows? What the hell is he smoking?

Old games sometimes don't properly support it because they never considered it, new games sometimes intentionally don't support it for competitive reasons, and a lot of dumbshits hardcode letterboxing in to videos so they don't fullscreen properly without some fuckery, but anything that isn't fullscreen works 100% the same as it would on any other screen.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Zero VGS posted:

My friend keeps getting all my hand-me-down parts so he has a 3070 right now, but also I tried to make him use my older 21:9 34" Alienware, and he absolutely refuses, he hated how many things break in Windows for him on 21:9 so he's still on a 1080p. With the 3070.

As a 3070 owner myself, this isn't insanity. It's not going to perform under a 1440p monitor nearly as long as something like the 3090 would. If you absolutely do not want to buy another GPU again anytime soon, a 3070 + 1080p isn't a bad way to go.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

wolrah posted:

Things break in Windows? What the hell is he smoking?

Old games sometimes don't properly support it because they never considered it, new games sometimes intentionally don't support it for competitive reasons, and a lot of dumbshits hardcode letterboxing in to videos so they don't fullscreen properly without some fuckery, but anything that isn't fullscreen works 100% the same as it would on any other screen.

His patience for bullshit is just way lower than mine I guess. I was doing Hexedits to play each and every Dark Souls game in 21:9

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
There are newer, non-competitive games that don't support UW (Zero Sievert :shucks:) but they just...have black bars on the side so its the same as a non-ultrawide anyway? Not really a big deal.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
If you play a lot of more obscure stuff, it's very, very common for them to be anywhere from annoyingly to unplayably broken on ultrawide. It's a shitload more work to make sure a UI works on non-16:9 resolutions, and smaller studios with fullscreen UIs rarely have the time for that.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Lockback posted:

There are newer, non-competitive games that don't support UW (Zero Sievert :shucks:) but they just...have black bars on the side so its the same as a non-ultrawide anyway? Not really a big deal.

It doesn't? I guess my brain just ignored the black bars lol.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

K8.0 posted:

If you play a lot of more obscure stuff, it's very, very common for them to be anywhere from annoyingly to unplayably broken on ultrawide. It's a shitload more work to make sure a UI works on non-16:9 resolutions, and smaller studios with fullscreen UIs rarely have the time for that.

It always blows my mind that there's AAA PC games that can't do 21:9 or 120hz, but the loving emulation of Nintendo Switch Breath of the Wild can.

Kind of like how there's recent VR titles that don't have teleport locomotion, but they got it into the VR port of RE4.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I have a 980 Ti I don't need.

Wow, thanks for speaking up! What would you want for it?

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Is it weird for my MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 to randomly never go to boost clock? In Afterburner, voltage just stays at 0mv and core clock at 855MHz.

I have to restart my computer to fix it, but that doesn't necessarily always work and I have to reseat it. CPU is a 10900K, PSU is an EVGA SuperNova 1600W T2 that previously powered an RTX 3080 just fine, and I'm on Windows 11. I've had it for a couple of weeks and it's happened every 5-7 days so far.

busfahrer
Feb 9, 2012

Ceterum censeo
Carthaginem
esse delendam

Lockback posted:

In order I'd try:

1. Sounds a lot like VSync stutter, so first try doing that. Turn off VSync entirely, it will not help you at all.
2. I assume this is a new install, Windows and all? Is anything in device manager showing as not properly loaded? This was years ago but I had a system that had a USB hub that was bringing things to it's knees every so often trying to incorrectly poll a device that wasn't there.
3. You have NVidia Shadowplay or any other recording/streaming software off, right?
4. Try disabling anti-virus as a test
5. Do your NVMEs need software installed?

And yeah, get a new monitor. You should be able to kill a 1440p high framerate monitor and I promise even if you think 1080p60 is fine for you, the quality and experience with a better monitor will be SIGNIFICANT. You don't need to get a top of the line either.

Thanks for these, I will consider them, however:
I disabled vsync and still got occasional slowing down for half a second, even at 120 fps. The way these show up feel like loading in assets, but it doesn't make any sense. I wonder if there is a software that lets me continuously monitor SSD throughput (without any games running) to see if there are any dips?

I will try all the other points you mentioned.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

repiv posted:

maybe not intel GPUs since those are so reliant on reBAR and i don't think any boards of that era support it

Yeah. Don't buy an Intel graphics card, lol. Hard to imagine someone accidently getting one.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

busfahrer posted:

Thanks for these, I will consider them, however:
I disabled vsync and still got occasional slowing down for half a second, even at 120 fps. The way these show up feel like loading in assets, but it doesn't make any sense. I wonder if there is a software that lets me continuously monitor SSD throughput (without any games running) to see if there are any dips?

I will try all the other points you mentioned.

Is it related to what's happening ingame or not? Is it on a regular timer? I once had something like that happening and it took me a bit to figure out it was a Steam checking every few minutes if a preloaded game was ready to unpack which - at least back then - seemed to have hit the CPU and/or drive hard enough to produce a noticeable stutter.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

wolrah posted:

This was kind of my experience with some games, two I can think of off-hand with weird issues were Alice: Madness Returns & FEAR. With FEAR it was choppy as hell even at 1080 but I found a config file hack to get it smooth, only downside is at 1440 or above with VSync disabled, the textures start looking blurry/muddy during fast movement. With Alice I had to mess around with some settings because above 1440p all the targeting was off with enemies, the reticule would show I was dead-center on them but I'd take a shot & miss completely. Nothing too crazy but I can see with older games how having to "hack" them to work due to no support could be an annoyance for someone.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://nvidianews.nvidia.com/news/microsoft-and-nvidia-announce-expansive-new-gaming-deal

quote:

Microsoft and NVIDIA today announced the companies have agreed to a 10-year partnership to bring Xbox PC games to the NVIDIA® GeForce NOW™ cloud gaming service, which has more than 25 million members in over 100 countries.

The agreement will enable gamers to stream Xbox PC titles from GeForce NOW to PCs, macOS, Chromebooks, smartphones and other devices. It will also enable Activision Blizzard PC titles, such as Call of Duty, to be streamed on GeForce NOW after Microsoft’s acquisition of Activision closes.

“Xbox remains committed to giving people more choice and finding ways to expand how people play,” said Microsoft Gaming CEO Phil Spencer. “This partnership will help grow NVIDIA’s catalog of titles to include games like Call of Duty, while giving developers more ways to offer streaming games. We are excited to offer gamers more ways to play the games they love.”

“Combining the incredibly rich catalog of Xbox first party games with GeForce NOW’s high-performance streaming capabilities will propel cloud gaming into a mainstream offering that appeals to gamers at all levels of interest and experience,” said Jeff Fisher, senior vice president for GeForce at NVIDIA. “Through this partnership, more of the world’s most popular titles will now be available from the cloud with just a click, playable by millions more gamers.”

The partnership delivers increased choice to gamers and resolves NVIDIA’s concerns with Microsoft’s acquisition of Activision Blizzard. NVIDIA therefore is offering its full support for regulatory approval of the acquisition.

Microsoft and NVIDIA will begin work immediately to integrate Xbox PC games into GeForce NOW, so that GeForce NOW members can stream PC games they buy in the Windows Store, including third-party partner titles where the publisher has granted streaming rights to NVIDIA. Xbox PC games currently available in third party stores like Steam or Epic Games Store will also be able to be streamed through GeForce NOW.

Visit the GeForce NOW website for more information on the service and follow along every GFN Thursday for the latest news, including release dates for upcoming Microsoft game titles coming to the GeForce NOW service.

The agreement was announced today at a Microsoft press conference in Brussels, Belgium. Microsoft also shared today that it finalized a 10-year agreement to bring the latest version of Call of Duty to the Nintendo platform following the merger with Activision.

even if you set aside the part about Activision because god only knows if that deal is ever actually going to happen, it seems like a pretty big win if this means that PC games on Game Pass can be played through GFN: you pay a monthly sub to Microsoft for the Pass to get access to games, and you pay a monthly sub to NVidia to get access to hardware to run the games

that said, the wording is a little ambiguous when they say "GeForce NOW members can stream PC games they buy in the Windows Store" because I don't really think there are people out there with an extensive library of games directly bought from the Windows Store

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I mean it’s cool but xcloud already exists and works pretty drat well. I guess you’ll be able to pay for more powerful streaming hardware.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
it's a little weird outside pc gaming since nvidia axed the shield though

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'm very leery of buying games though the Windows store after the shitshow that was Games for Windows Live or whatever that framework was back in the Fallout 3 era.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Zero VGS posted:

His patience for bullshit is just way lower than mine I guess. I was doing Hexedits to play each and every Dark Souls game in 21:9
I'm more hung up on the "in Windows" part implying that something that's not a fullscreen game/video was misbehaving.

I can totally understand someone who plays a lot of older, badly programmed, or intentionally limited games choosing a 16:9 screen, hell as much as I love 21:9 I'm likely going to go back to 16:9 for my next main monitor just because 21:9 makes it a real pain in the rear end to stream games to my TV or Steam Deck. I'm just trying to figure out what could possibly have been broken in normal desktop usage.

Arrath posted:

I'm very leery of buying games though the Windows store after the shitshow that was Games for Windows Live or whatever that framework was back in the Fallout 3 era.
At this point it's the same store that powers the Xbox One and Xbox Series lines, as well as all Windows "app" purchases since 8.x, so it's safe to assume it's going to be supported for a while. Microsoft is pushing their Game Pass service hard and it relies on this store platform. It has some really annoying quirks (attempting to keep a hard drive full of games while formatting and reinstalling Windows around it was a mistake that has wasted me dozens more hours than it would have taken to just reinstall the games) but it works about as well on Windows as it does on Xbox.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Feb 24, 2023

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I ain’t ever buying anything on a Microsoft store. Hell, I remove the windows store and Xbox bar and all that trash with PowerShell on new windows installs, and you should too!!

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Game Pass is legit a great thing and a good deal but yea I wouldn’t buy games a la carte from Microsoft

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I bought the last few Forza Horizon games through the Microsoft store, haven't had any issues with either.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cygni posted:

I ain’t ever buying anything on a Microsoft store. Hell, I remove the windows store and Xbox bar and all that trash with PowerShell on new windows installs, and you should too!!

The Xbox bar can be kinda handy though :shrug:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

The Xbox bar can be kinda handy though :shrug:

Yeah I actually use it to record clips and whatnot, fairly useful.

wolrah posted:

At this point it's the same store that powers the Xbox One and Xbox Series lines, as well as all Windows "app" purchases since 8.x, so it's safe to assume it's going to be supported for a while. Microsoft is pushing their Game Pass service hard and it relies on this store platform. It has some really annoying quirks (attempting to keep a hard drive full of games while formatting and reinstalling Windows around it was a mistake that has wasted me dozens more hours than it would have taken to just reinstall the games) but it works about as well on Windows as it does on Xbox.

I get that, still have a bad taste from all those years ago.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The xbox bar is also how you control auto hdr in windows 11, and it can take tone-mapped screenshots when playing games in hdr (so they don't appear blown out to other people). i've also used it to record a handful of times. it's a handy feature.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Enos Cabell posted:

I bought the last few Forza Horizon games through the Microsoft store, haven't had any issues with either.

My only issues have been no "verify files and repair" function, updates often lag behind the other stores, and trying to reassociate games stored on a different drive/partition after a Windows reinstall is a fool's errand.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I respect that people find the Xbox Game Slower and Drive Thrasher utility useful, but nobody wants to see my gameplay and I don’t want another overlay ever for any reason. Especially one Microsoft, of all people, collects telemetry on and doesn’t let me uninstall without a terminal command.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Kibner posted:

My only issues have been no "verify files and repair" function, updates often lag behind the other stores, and trying to reassociate games stored on a different drive/partition after a Windows reinstall is a fool's errand.

You should use the Xbox app for games instead of the regular MS store, it can do all those things.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Squatch Ambassador posted:

You should use the Xbox app for games instead of the regular MS store, it can do all those things.

I do use the Xbox app. AFAIK, there is no file verifier. There is one option that wipes out configuration settings (and maybe caches?) and another that just redownloads the entire game. Nothing that looks at each file to make sure that they have the right hashes or whatever.

Updates can still come out slower to games on the MS store because of approval process, iirc. Using a different app does not address this as the delay is on the MS side. This is also probably a reason that many games don't launch with cross-play between MS Store and Steam versions of games.

They must have fixed reassociating games after a format but it was an issue when I did it a year or two ago.

e: weird, i just checked a couple of my games and Chained Echoes offers verify and repair but Forza Horizon 5 does not offer anything

e2: looks like there was an update that requires you to move your games to a new folder and then you get access to verify and repair. interesting.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 24, 2023

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Yeah, the Xbox app is massively improved. No more locking games in weird hidden folders and breaking game installs for no reason, everything can be installed to wherever you want. And like you said, after a format you can just point the install at the folder with the game already installed and it will just pick it up instead of erroring out and breaking

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

CBD Corndog posted:

Yeah, the Xbox app is massively improved. No more locking games in weird hidden folders and breaking game installs for no reason, everything can be installed to wherever you want. And like you said, after a format you can just point the install at the folder with the game already installed and it will just pick it up instead of erroring out and breaking

*snip*

I got it working now, thanks! I would have never known this was a thing I could do if no one pointed it out. lol

It also stinks that I had to manually go in and choose to "enable" this new feature and wait for the games to be moved to the new directory.

e: welp, still doesn't work for FH5 (or any other game I enabled the feature on) for me:

Kibner fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 24, 2023

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I just turned off the ol Xbox bar and it cleared up some stuttering across several games

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

GFWL was a total disaster and an objectively awful product, but the Xbox PC service is fine. I mean, I also don't see much reason to do anything other than gamepass (which rules) on there either. But as a service it's fine, doesn't really do anything special but it works.

I also don't really understand why any publisher is against having their games on GFN since you still need to buy the game and pay them money. Why they would care what the hardware layer is seems strange to me, but I guess its cool that Xbox is committing to putting everything on there.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Lockback posted:

I also don't really understand why any publisher is against having their games on GFN since you still need to buy the game and pay them money. Why they would care what the hardware layer is seems strange to me, but I guess its cool that Xbox is committing to putting everything on there.

my guess is the publishers wanted to keep open the option of launching their own cloud subscription services with exclusive access to their own catalogue

with cloud gaming not quite being the revolution it was hyped up to be they'll hopefully re-evaluate that stance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Game Pass is legit a great thing and a good deal

Sure, but this is only because they're still in the "we're buying us a market" phase. If they succeed they'll alter the deal.