Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cuc
Nov 25, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-RtiY4xd6M
Trepang2 (FEAR-like) releases new video.

EDIT:
Last topic from previous page:

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cakkSAhLclo

has humanity peaked? or was this just another fall?

cuc fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Feb 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I cant put my finger quite on why but that footage made me less hype for Trepang2 even though Im probably gonna buy it

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Turin Turambar posted:

That made it look a more interesting game than it was, lol.

The port in general or are you another quake 2 hater? Quake 2 was great, civvie was wrong. Again

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

need a modern quake 2 console port so bad.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Quantum of Phallus posted:

need a modern quake 2 console port so bad.

Surely they’re going to replicate the job they did with Quake 1 for Quake 2? Seems like such a logical next move.

It’s much less likely obviously, but I’d love it if they also did the same for Quake 3. Seems a nice test bed to see how badly people actually want a classic arena shooter back. Zero expectations such a thing would happen but I’d love it if it did. Q3 still slaps.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I recently played through Quake 2 single player campaign for the first time after having only really played it online back in the day and it's...kind of a completely nothing game. The level design is :geno:, the enemies are :geno:, the weapons are :geno:, the setting is :geno:. It also managed to be probably the easiest game I've ever played to the point where I was taking like 1HP of damage from rockets and poo poo. I probably should have played it on a higher difficulty than Normal but jeez. The only time I ever died was during the level with the self-destruct countdown and I got turned around and forgot how to get out. Otherwise my health barely went below maximum.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Quake 3 is on PC game pass and Quake... Champions (I can never remember this game's name) limped along for years as well. i dont think theres any real demand for such a game.

Quake 2 is a Slough of Despair

Barudak fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 24, 2023

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

cuc posted:

god i can't wait for this to come out

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cakkSAhLclo

has humanity peaked? or was this just another fall?

That's one way to disguise the port's framerate; only show a few frames of the game itself!

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Barudak posted:

Quake 3 is on PC game pass

Is it really? Huh.

My understanding of Quake Champions is that it’s always been a bit of a dud for some of the fluff it added around the edges of the core Quake experience. The concept of Champion characters being one of the big ones.

Also I think if you were to give Quake 3 the same modernisation as Quake 1 and promote it properly, maybe it could gain some traction. I’m not suggesting it’s a path towards 100,000 players at all times but just to bring it back as a modernised experience and see what happens.

Look, this is pure blind hope rather than a business plan for Bethesda and id. It’s fun to want things and gently caress.. I’d like this a lot.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
When I heard this ad come on the radio I thought I was getting a Doom movie. 10 year old me was HYPED

https://youtu.be/VyOgCiVfHt4

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Volte posted:

, the weapons are :geno:,

I'm willing to entertain the other points to some extent but this one right here is so, so wrong. Quake 2's weapon set is some of the best the FPS genre has ever had.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

A.o.D. posted:

I'm willing to entertain the other points to some extent but this one right here is so, so wrong. Quake 2's weapon set is some of the best the FPS genre has ever had.
I can't even really remember what any of them are, except the railgun which is way less cool in single player than it is in multiplayer (and is essentially a glorified sniper rifle with a cooler effect). As far as I remember all the other ones are just the standard fare bullet and rocket guns that every game has and the ubiquitous shotguns.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Why do other shooters even exist when Call of Duty is a thing?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The hyperblaster it's a great plasma rifle update but it's also famously a lag cannon in multiplayer.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Bumhead posted:

Eternal's big contribution to the Doom lineage is making the "Doom 3 isn't a Doom game!" thing look really loving stupid. I don't know exactly what rigid terms people are even locking the series to with that sentiment, but Eternal almost certainly doesn't meet any of them either.

Doom 3 has never been "so bad after all", whether it was 2016 & Eternal that made folks realise that or not.

I don't think I've ever been really big on the "...it's not a DOOM game!" mentality, but I found Doom 3 to be a technically impressive yet bland game when I first played (but never bothered to finish) it in 2005, and I still found it to be a bland and anemic experience when I played through the whole thing years later during COVID. It just sucks as an FPS in my opinion, and it's literally the only Doom game that I'll probably never replay.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Quake 2 was only good for the mods.

There I said it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I was super disappointed with Doom 3 when it came out and I can't imagine I'd think better of it on replay. I'm a dickhead who doesn't feel like the nuDOOMs are truly Doom either but I'd say 2016 is the closest. Even if Doom 3 was called something else I probably wouldn't have cared much for it but having the name attached did it no favors.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
With an aesthetic overhaul q2 would have been a great doom 3.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Bumhead posted:

My understanding of Quake Champions is that it’s always been a bit of a dud for some of the fluff it added around the edges of the core Quake experience. The concept of Champion characters being one of the big ones.

This is kind of a minor instance of the never-ending-cycle-of-fps-opinions conversations, but I'm in a mood to chat...

IMO the game mechanics of Quake Champions ended up in a cool and fun place. If you're going to do something in your sequel to make it a little different than its predecessors -- and good for you! --- then this was a fine swing at something different but still honoring a lot of the "pillars" of Quake gameplay.

The original lives/rounds-based rules were maybe too much out of left field but they backed off of that. (Even so those rules were an interesting attempt in doing something influenced by fighting games and Quake 3 mods.)

FWIW, its problems as far as I was concerned:
* The art direction was a bit too busy and greebly.
* Having no dedicated-server communities was a bummer.
* No other significant ways for community to get involved in evolving the game (modding, mapping).
* Too much downtime between matches. If we can't have dedicated servers, let us do rolling games with the same group of folks, without any friction.
* Too much focus on 1-on-1 in general and on esports in particular. I love watching me some QC esports but that's not what really will get me playing a lot myself.
* Nothing built around the core gameplay other than esports and lootboxes. You're game designers, give us a neat new 21st century meta-reason to binge CTF matches.
* Slow development and generally a sense that id/Bethesda/someone was treating this as a goofy side project and not willing to commit to making it a mainstream success.

These are all solvable problems but current game biz wisdom (about how to properly milk your multiplayer audience) seems pretty hostile to doing an interesting, successful, non-exploitative arena shooter.

I guess I don't see a simple Quake 3 remaster getting a new audience and a more involved reboot would probably step on most of the same rakes as QC.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I don't think I've ever been really big on the "...it's not a DOOM game!" mentality, but I found Doom 3 to be a technically impressive yet bland game when I first played (but never bothered to finish) it in 2005, and I still found it to be a bland and anemic experience when I played through the whole thing years later during COVID. It just sucks as an FPS in my opinion, and it's literally the only Doom game that I'll probably never replay.

Doom 64 is Doom 3
Doom 2016 is Doom 4
Doom 3 is a total conversion mod of an above-average Resident Evil game

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Escape Goat posted:

Doom 64 is Doom 3
Doom 2016 is Doom 4
Doom 3 is a total conversion mod of an above-average Resident Evil game

As a developer (technically) of Doom 64, I'm here to inform you that Doom 64 is Doom 64, and Doom 3 is Doom 3.

Sorry you had to find out this way.

Also Doom 64 isn't even the 3rd game. And frankly Doom 3 fits more as a traditional Doom game than 2016 was given you have to actually search the environment organically for health and ammo instead of 2016's just dispensing it at you wherever.

Rocket Pan fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 24, 2023

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Rocket Pan posted:

As a developer (technically) of Doom 64, I'm here to inform you that Doom 64 is Doom 64, and Doom 3 is Doom 3.

Also Doom 64 isn't even the 3rd game. And frankly Doom 3 fits more as a traditional Doom game than 2016 was given you have to actually search the environment organically for health and ammo instead of 2016's just dispensing it at you wherever.

I agree with this and I'm not a fan of Doom 3. Doom 2016 (and Eternal of course) has nothing to do with Doom and Doom 2 gameplay wise. Hell, even Doom 3 has a closer gameplay to the classics if you think how people played them back in the days. Not how we play them now on UV with mouse aiming and with 30 years of FPS experience.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Turin Turambar posted:

Is time enough for Doom Eternal discussion? Ok!

Doom Eternal presented innovate solutions to problems... that are only problems if you don't have good weapon balance and good level designers able to use hand crafted enemy encounters, layouts and well placed resources to establish the desired pace, variety and difficulty.

The infinite ammo rune was a bigger problem than any of the guns itself. As someone who never got around to upgrading it and had a lot of fun while being somewhat challenged on UV, i didn't realize how broken it was until Civvie showed it off in his video. Eternal felt like it was a 'gently caress you' directly aimed at people who used the poo poo out of the infinite ammo rune and the railgun/SSG.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Doom Eternal felt like a rhythm game, and I could get into that if it weren't for jumping puzzles and some WoW-rear end lore that they act like anyone should give a gently caress about.

Oh well, at least it didn't try to make me stare at a loving blackberry and listen to blue collar spacemen whine about power fluctuations.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Name Change posted:

Oh well, at least it didn't try to make me stare at a loving blackberry and listen to blue collar spacemen whine about power fluctuations.

Pro tip: You don't have to keep the PDA open to listen to audio logs, not even in the OG Xbox version which otherwise had to pause the game in the background. You created your own problem.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Rocket Pan posted:

Pro tip: You don't have to keep the PDA open to listen to audio logs, not even in the OG Xbox version which otherwise had to pause the game in the background. You created your own problem.

I don't care, about any of it. I don't want to listen to it. It was bad at the time and it's laughable now.

Doom 3 is awful.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Just in case, I locked the plasma gun in the weapons locker. The code is <deafening sound of an imp spawning in front of you, followed by an imp spawning behind you>

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

cuc posted:

You could tell they wanted to replicate the F.E.A.R. shotgun. Replicate, not improve, because you can't improve on perfection.

And was that a three-round burst grenade launcher?

Grimthwacker fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 24, 2023

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
https://twitter.com/Freschism/status/1628456914618093568?cxt=HHwWgMC4_fK7uJktAAAA
vroom vroom

Grimthwacker posted:

You could tell they wanted to replicate the F.E.A.R. shotgun. Replicate, not improve, because you can't improve on perfection.

And was that a three-round burst grenade launcher?

Yeah they showed it off on twitter before. They also have a minigun AR
https://twitter.com/TrepangStudios/status/1624962439757582336?cxt=HHwWgMDSsdiug40tAAAA

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Power Walrus posted:

When I heard this ad come on the radio I thought I was getting a Doom movie. 10 year old me was HYPED

https://youtu.be/VyOgCiVfHt4

Would love to see this amount of ham in a Doom movie.

"SITUATION NEGATIIIIVE" :byodood:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Rocket Pan posted:

The complete lack of any sort of organic gameplay or level design has soured me on the entire nuDoom series. Everything is stage-managed by the intrusive hand of the designers carefully nudging you to ensure you don't play the game the wrong way with pop-up spawns of both monsters and resources, sealed arenas, and in Eternal, hard counters. The maps are "open" to an extent but still largely linear, and the player isn't fast enough and shortcuts not common enough to backtrack to out-of-the-way areas quickly and efficiently. Levels have intrusive Nintendo-like gimmicks like wall climbing, everything is presented brutally on the nose and without the slightest subtlety. The game forces you to play and interpret it the way it wants, to feel exactly what it wants you to feel, and if you try to deviate from the experience you are "meant" to have the game fights you constantly. And Eternal's difficulty makes it even more galling; to me there is a real dissonance in a game that is brutally difficult in terms of execution but also treats you like a not-too-bright child.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION

Bumhead posted:

The concept of Champion characters being one of the big ones.

The deep dark secret of Quake Champions is the abilities are really just the next logical step from the "holdable powerup" concept in Quake 3. When we prototyped the original game in Quake Live, we doled out the Q3 holdables to models where it kinda fit in addition to some new ones. Anarki even had the Medkit, he carried over into QC with it. If QC didn't happen, the plan was to polish up that prototype and release it as a mode in Quake Live.

The other half of the champions concept comes from early versions of Q3. It was originally planned to have weight classes, and the feature even exists in the IHV leak but it was cut pretty early on. As much as people love to compare it (in a derogatory way) to Overwatch, we were playing the Quake Live version of it before OW was even known to exist. But you can't control timing like that, so c'est la vie.

You can blame me for having the idea for the round based duel mode too! The connections to fighting games (esp the team based ones like MVC2) was definitely the goal. Duels in Quake are very heavily biased towards the first fragger, to the point where based on QL (public) duel stats, who got the first kill was a better predictor of who would win the match than their GLICKO-2 skill rating was. Adding those resets was intended to give the other player a shot at coming back, but it unfortunately just led to incredibly long duel matches, instead of shorter.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
The round-based stuff also reminded me of https://playmorepromode.com/guides/cpma-hoony-mode

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I definitely think that downtime between playing is QC's big weakness, and not having player hosted lobbies contributes to that.

But even with matchmaking you could still let people just hang out and keep playing. Like if I open up tf2, I can go matchmake onto a valve server and then just stay there. Other players will cycle in and out as they stop/start playing, and sometimes the map will change, but I can still just keep hanging out on that same server indefinitely and as a result just keep endlessly playing with essentially no downtime.

There's no reason QC couldn't have worked like that, and if it did it would make things feel way better because even if matchmaking was still slow you'd basically just have to go through it once per play session. I really am starting to think that low downtime is one of the strongest strengths an online game can have, it's such a clear advantage for Dark and Darker over Tarkov for another example.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Rocket Pan posted:

Also Doom 64 isn't even the 3rd game.
What is? Final DOOM?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Doom 64 is the Doom 2 of Playstation's Doom. Final Doom is a spinoff.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

ExcessBLarg! posted:

What is? Final DOOM?

Between it and Master Levels (which PSX Doom made relevant), yes.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I personally enjoy playing many of the old and new Doom entries, but that's just my personal preference and I hope no one is offended by this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
How loving dare you?