Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

elpaganoescapa posted:

Just did the final mission of the season and man, what tanky bullshit. And now they want to make the whole game like that? Why not letting people have fun with their game?

That mission was insanely fun I’m glad they’re doing more of that. Just don’t stand on the spiky floor it’s that easy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I thought it was the right amount of challenge - but it's probably balanced a bit around the meta so it's going to be a good bit harder if you don't have a halfway decent build/guns/etc. I can totally see a newer player getting their poo poo kicked by it.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Bungie writing the new mechanics blog posts:

https://twitter.com/ohshidt/status/1628906122072453126

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Is it really too hard to believe that the witness is some formless entity, and is therefore using this shape as a form?
Meaning it can be whatever the gently caress size it needs to be, at any time?

Yes, because when his time as a raid boss comes they're going to make him super huge because that is the law of the raid boss. Strong=huge=easier to target and pick out of the mass of players getting slaughtered left and right.

Doesn't mean that he isn't person sized in those cinematics though, since clearly he's about as big as Calus.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

There’s no chance we fight the actual witness. He’ll die to the darkness or some other bullshit and we’ll fight whatever the final shape is. the witness is strictly a plot device to move the story around. The pyramids / witness armada will probably be expanded upon because that’s imo the weakest link right now (every darkness enemy outside Rhulk and soon the Tormentors are just reskinned corrupted versions of poo poo we’ve already encountered).

Really Lightfall and the road to The Final Shape has a really good hook to just loving go out there and get real wild with everything. Fighting the witness would be boring as hell. He’d just like talk and poo poo and we’d be doing QTE and reading symbols to paracausally argue with him.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
We won’t fight the witness because we’ll be fighting the traveller

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

We won’t fight the witness because we’ll be fighting the traveller

This too. You think they're going to be able to resist the urge to make the big spooky ball of plot device into a boss at some point? C'mon, this is Destiny!

But no, if we fight the Witness he'll be big. Alternatively, he'll have the thinness and mobility of a hive witch boss because lol missing your skillshots.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

i'm going to invite the witness out to a nice dinner and show them a good time

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

The Witness is actually some aspect of the Traveler that split and hosed off eons ago, and is now back to Finish The Fight.
Killing The Witness, is killing the Traveler. Are you ready to pull that trigger Guardian?

(guardian stop pulling the trigger, I beg you.)

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Kith posted:

i'm going to invite the witness out to a nice dinner and show them a good time

"We have seen enough. No more unpaid bills. No more diner dashing. The purveyors of this roadside diner cry out for salvation. You promised me a good time, but delivered only a poor yelp review."

*Starts the second collapse*

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

The Witness is actually some aspect of the Traveler that split and hosed off eons ago, and is now back to Finish The Fight.
Killing The Witness, is killing the Traveler. Are you ready to pull that trigger Guardian?

(guardian stop pulling the trigger, I beg you.)

There is a decent possibility that this is how it's going to end. Also, that Zavala might poo poo a literal brick when it happens unless his character development has pulled him along enough.

It's probable that that veiled woman in the Pyramid on Europa is going to turn out to be relevant somehow too.

Or that the Witness is like that high priest of the Traveler from D1 and the release of D2. He interprets what his side wants, he never actually talks to the Darkness to know what it expects of him. It would explain what the lore means when they talk about how the Witness gives the darkness an evil shape or whatever. Dude basically anthropomorphized a cosmic concept into his ideal personalized form like some sort of hosed up Deviantart fetishist.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 24, 2023

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
They are going to land this thing worse than Mass Effect and it’s going to be very funny

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

i just want to know about the loving mods man

come on i'm jonesing here

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

They are going to land this thing worse than Mass Effect and it’s going to be very funny

While Destiny may have a bad and underwhelming ending, Mass Effect is it's own level of terrible

Archonex
May 2, 2012

I mean, to be serious for a second this is the most likely outcome, yeah. They've got too many plot threads hanging to entirely satisfy everyone with their conclusion in two expansions and too many people looking forward to seeing how it ends that played during different time periods of development to satisfy everyone.

SgtSteel91 posted:

While Destiny may have a bad and underwhelming ending, Mass Effect is it's own level of terrible

The ending will have a choice between killing the light or the darkness. Your final choice will have a color filter over it depending on who survives as a narration talks about some random space magic stuff and the hope of mankind or something.

Notably, since both light and dark correspond to white and black both the written narrations and images will be completely unviewable due to the filter loving everything up.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 24, 2023

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

victrix posted:

If there's going to be some form of D3 ever, I'd assume it would be extrasolar, but I wonder if that would have the reach of Halo and Destiny - a substantial part of their appeal was familiarity, setting the game around humanity on earth, with recognizable elements

The game has strayed farther and farther from that (seriously go compare early D1 marketing - armed astronauts meeting the traveler then riding a sparrow on venus to the most recent D2 trailers - some weird loving bug thing hugging a bug baby, smoke conehead man and bondage royal rhino), and I feel like that makes it harder to draw in new fans that aren't already invested (cf. Warframe, let me dig up the text description of their most recent frame description...)

Also I agree with all of this. What got my attention about Destiny originally was that it was about PEOPLE. It was about figuring out what life looks like after the world ended and after society collapsed, and it was HOPEFUL. The ruins of what life used to be were everywhere, but the Last City still stood and the fight was to make sure that it remained standing.

Charging around the sector and fighting aliens is cool and all, but I miss ruins that are crumbling and rusty and overgrown with vegetation.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Kith posted:

Also I agree with all of this. What got my attention about Destiny originally was that it was about PEOPLE. It was about figuring out what life looks like after the world ended and after society collapsed, and it was HOPEFUL. The ruins of what life used to be were everywhere, but the Last City still stood and the fight was to make sure that it remained standing.

Charging around the sector and fighting aliens is cool and all, but I miss ruins that are crumbling and rusty and overgrown with vegetation.

Plus, the lore we've gotten of the extra-solar civs is cool. There's everything from garden variety Halo style forerunner empires to crazy wish granting Ahamkara space nations that were lead by wishful bishops that are implied to basically have just made reality take a rain check in their region of space. And then there's stuff like that dead exoplanet the Drifter and his cohorts landed on, which was probably a glorified warehouse for beings like that big guy that fucks up the guardian in the trailer and definitely fits a horror theme given everything that went down there.

Exploring what's left of civilizations the Witness and his conspirators wrecked while going off course to revisit and do stuff like liberating Torobatl or whatever it's called could make for several interesting expansions at the very least.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 24, 2023

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Oh it's 10000% going to be shittier and dumber than we will ever be able to guess, and I can't wait.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Oh it's 10000% going to be shittier and dumber than we will ever be able to guess, and I can't wait.

same, embrace the bad and you cannot be disappointed

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

wait that's destiny's tagline

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

:hellyeah: take my money and feed me that slop, bungo

Archonex
May 2, 2012

I'll go out on a limb here and say something that's possibly unpopular by saying that if they go full tilt crazy like old school Bungie did in Marathon for the last expansion it might work out. Just batshit insane anti-causal time traveling recursive hijinks where you play for every side without care for morality or causal logic to break humanity out of it's nightmarish fate.

Basically go full tilt with the time traveling stuff while the Exo-Stranger has a panic attack trying to keep up with all the edits to the timeline you're making. All while doing a deep introspective where you get to define what your character feels about the situation, trauma and all, all while going increasingly insane/rampant from breaking the timeline over your knee.

Hell, given the old references to Destiny in Marathon* if they dip back into their earlier work or do something stupidly absurd like reveal that the Traveler is being piloted by Durandana having found out that she/he can just hop timelines to escape the heat death of the universe i'd at least be amused enough at the over the top nature of it all to say the story landed it's grand finale to this arc.

But the writers that were writing such a complex story that people had to make a thesis sized website to explain how the writers made an incredibly complex story weaving Beowulf, time travel, the whole eternal hero thing, along with how such a person would be a traumatized PTSD ridden wreck in reality are probably long gone by now.

*The Ahamkara as reality devouring apocalypse if left unchecked, everything to do with Joseph Campbell's Eternal Hero theory of story design, the fact that it's confirmed as an alternate timeline/universe, and the Worms, along with all the other stuff I probably missed.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 24, 2023

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

what if the reason we keep playing destiny is because it's good

Evilgm
Dec 31, 2014
The ending will be underwhelming because anything too clever would require the Game As A Service to stop existing. You can have an insane over-the-top ending in a single player game as a capstone to the experience, but Sony and Bungie need you to still log on tomorrow to do a couple of Vanguard Playlist runs.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kith posted:

Destiny is a lot of things. Good ain’t one of ‘em

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Goons rock, I got an adept wendigo on my first ever gm nightfall. Thanks goons!

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Nelson Mandingo posted:

The Witness is a paracausal god who most likely used to be a mortal.

My guess is it's a collective entity through an egregor link, and disrupting that will rob him of his divinity and bring him back to a singular, vulnerable individual.

Will disrupting that link be accomplished by standing on balls or by dunking plates?

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Kith posted:

(it's not)

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

Will disrupting that link be accomplished by standing on balls or by dunking plates?

Shoot the oracles when it's in B flat.
Raid parties gonna sound like a scene from Whiplash.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Pick up the plate and dunk it into the ball

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
My dumb little videogame paracausal idea is they should do a split screen effect so when you stand on a plate and shoot the boss it’s like 4 different versions of you are shooting the boss.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Of note:

https://twitter.com/ritzzcar/status/1628825422581362689?s=46&t=f-uo6hX72IqkSXnolxD4kw

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Just bought the expansion. Destiny ftw

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

xur is selling two absolute loving banger rolls for warlocks and misc

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Paracelsus posted:

How else would you break an egregor link...? This loving guy...:rolleyes:

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
I have a horrible sinking feeling that lightfall is going to end with the Traveler deciding that humanity IS super special and that it was wrong to abandon other races in the past

which will make me feel stupid for paying so much attention to this poo poo for the last 10 years

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

dodgeblan posted:

I have a horrible sinking feeling that lightfall is going to end with the Traveler deciding that humanity IS super special and that it was wrong to abandon other races in the past

which will make me feel stupid for paying so much attention to this poo poo for the last 10 years

It's gonna end with some real "god the Traveler works in mysterious ways" poo poo that indicates the only way to unite all the different sentient species in peace was to get the light and dark conflict to happen like this.

If Amanda dies and comes back as a guardian, is there any kind of legal or HR process to make sure that Crow doesn't try to date her?

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Roctavian posted:

If Amanda dies and comes back as a guardian, is there any kind of legal or HR process to make sure that Crow doesn't try to date her?

… why would there need to be?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

dodgeblan posted:

lol imagine caring about the lore in the space barbie gun game.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

PERMACAV 50 posted:

… why would there need to be?

If you try to date someone and it goes badly, and they lose their memories for whatever reason, it would be predatory to immediately go for it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAB8hxDM1n0