Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Lockback posted:

$655 for a Dell Refurb 34" OLED, the freesync AW3423DWF

https://slickdeals.net/f/16463797-3...b0e9ea52ab711db

I have a refurb GSync one and the refurb was pristine.
drat that's a heck of a deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenSpecific
Aug 17, 2005
IT'S IDEAS LIKE THIS THAT GET PEOPLE KILLED!!!!

Slippery Tilde
Well mine came with a cracked screen. Looks like they probably packaged it up wrong with the order I had taken it out of the box and now following the instructions putting it back. Real shame as it was beautiful.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

GenSpecific posted:

Well mine came with a cracked screen. Looks like they probably packaged it up wrong with the order I had taken it out of the box and now following the instructions putting it back. Real shame as it was beautiful.

Oh poo poo, I feel bad. Can they just send you a replacement?

GenSpecific
Aug 17, 2005
IT'S IDEAS LIKE THIS THAT GET PEOPLE KILLED!!!!

Slippery Tilde

Lockback posted:

Oh poo poo, I feel bad. Can they just send you a replacement?

No need to feel bad, seems like I will just get a refund.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
ugh terrible to lose that deal though

on my brand new one it was packaged in such an overly protective way that i imagine very few are lost to shipping problems unless it falls more than say two stories

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dogen posted:

ugh terrible to lose that deal though

on my brand new one it was packaged in such an overly protective way that i imagine very few are lost to shipping problems unless it falls more than say two stories

My refurb was packed pretty extensively. Like, the bags it was in were opened and kinda resealed but all the packing was there and the monitor itself was spotless. I honestly wouldn't have known it was a refurb if I didn't specifically look at the tape on the bags.

Its too bad they can't send you a replacement instead of a refund. :(

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
Are any of the curved 49" monitors (dual QHD usually right now, sounds like dual UHD soon) good for productivity, or are these just gamer toys? They would fit my desk very precisely and give me a little more real estate and flexibility because it could just sit dead center.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Personally, I would virtually always prefer two (or three) monitors to one, but if you're never going to game on it a doublewide might be viable. It comes down to how you use your monitor space. If you want to do something like snap windows three wide, maybe it can work for you. I will say I don't see the point of the current 1440p doublewides, because something like the LG 40" 21:9 4k is the same horizontal pixel count but taller.

It really is going to heavily depend on the exact specifics of what you're doing, if it's negatively affected by curvature, if money matters, and if there's some benefit to you from being able to focus on the center of your monitor space and have something important there.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There are 32:9 monitors meant for office use, yeah. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-49-...p?skuId=6513289

You can pretty much count them on one hand, and that's one of two that's available on best buy right now. Though as an LG IPS, it's probably fine. The other is some phillips monitor that runs at a lower refresh rate and is probably just worse. There's also a flat panel option from Dell on Amazon if you really hate curves. You're pretty much paying double what two normal 1440p monitors would cost for one of these, so you have to really not want any seams to justify such a purchase.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

GenSpecific posted:

Exact same here. Giant crack in the corner with the glass peeling away. It was also missing the charging brick, so I couldn't even power it on and test to see what it might have looked like lol.

Think that's my lesson learned buying refurb

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
I guess my second question is are gaming monitors actually bad for office use now that I think about it.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
it really depends, there's plenty that are fine for both use cases, but you wouldn't want to get an OLED for office use due to burn-in risks, for instance

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

lih posted:

it really depends, there's plenty that are fine for both use cases, but you wouldn't want to get an OLED for office use due to burn-in risks, for instance

Yeah I want to say I'm a gamer but I think my most-used 3d application is CAD stuff and that's going to be burn in city. That 40" guy is tempting, but I think I should just build a new PC first and then see what kind of display I want for it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Clockwerk posted:

Exact same here. Giant crack in the corner with the glass peeling away. It was also missing the charging brick, so I couldn't even power it on and test to see what it might have looked like lol.

monitors might just be a bit too delicate for repeated repackaging and shipping. I also got a cracked screen refurb (long time ago, much cheaper monitor). but at least returns are simple if you buy from the right places.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
don't be too hard on refurbs, I've bought 3 refurbished monitors 1 from tiger direct 1 from newegg and 1 from amazon and they were all great, meanwhile the purchaced new unit I'm currently using has an annoying sleep issue.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Going to shoutout the 16:18 LG Dualup for productivity use, having an almost perfectly square monitor with the pixel density of a 32" 4k screen rocks and it comes with a pretty great stand and 90w USB-C power deliver and KVM

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Shipon posted:

Going to shoutout the 16:18 LG Dualup for productivity use, having an almost perfectly square monitor with the pixel density of a 32" 4k screen rocks and it comes with a pretty great stand and 90w USB-C power deliver and KVM

Holy poo poo I've never even heard of this are you kidding me

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

What's the current go-to for a cheapish calibration tool? My sister's in art school so I want to calibrate her drawing tablet and monitors. And I figure if we have to buy it anyway then we should calibrate the entire family's monitors and TVs?

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Clockwerk posted:

Well bugger me my refurb just showed up from Dell. I'll be opening the box up later this afternoon and here's hoping everything is okay. Tad nervous now but I'll let the thread know how things go. At least Dell should have me covered if anything goes tits up.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

slurm posted:

Are any of the curved 49" monitors (dual QHD usually right now, sounds like dual UHD soon) good for productivity, or are these just gamer toys? They would fit my desk very precisely and give me a little more real estate and flexibility because it could just sit dead center.

The 45" Corsair Xeneon Flex can toggle between gaming and spreadsheet mode :cenobite:

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
But what if I want to play eve online?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

change my name posted:

The 45" Corsair Xeneon Flex can toggle between gaming and spreadsheet mode :cenobite:

first time i'm hearing of this and lol that it's 3440x1440

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

But what if I want to play eve online?

Don't :v:

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

VostokProgram posted:

What's the current go-to for a cheapish calibration tool? My sister's in art school so I want to calibrate her drawing tablet and monitors. And I figure if we have to buy it anyway then we should calibrate the entire family's monitors and TVs?
Just something to consider or look into, but does your sister's school have any of their own calibration tools they'd be willing to let her use for the occasional calibration? If so, that could possibly save you the $170+ that the cheapest decent colorimeters currently cost.

If you can learn how to use DisplayCAL properly with it (and possibly HCFR for basic hardware-level calibrations), the cheapest option to get good results is probably the Calibrite ColorChecker Display, or a used X-Rite i1Display Studio or ColorMunki Display, as they're all basically the same hardware. You save some money because the included software has heavier restrictions in the cheaper models, but if you want more options and can learn to use DisplayCAL and HCFR for your profiling and calibration needs, then the cheaper versions of the meter work as well as the more expensive ones. The more expensive versions have more options/features in the included software, the ColorChecker Display Plus or i1Display Pro Plus specifically also include a higher maximum readable luminance (probably not needed by most people), and you can also buy OEM versions of the colorimeter from some calibration software companies, depending on if you want to be able to use different software with the colorimeter. Retail versions of this meter (including the more expensive ones) generally aren't compatible with other software packages like Calman, ColourSpace, etc.

Datacolor's SpyderX is apparently also a decent option now compared to their previous meters, but it still doesn't handle darker readings as well as the X-Rite-based hardware like the meters above. As far as the included software is concerned, I don't know if Datacolor's is any better than the Calibrite/X-Rite software in the same kind of price range. From the looks of it, the SpyderX Pro is around the same price as the Calibrite ColorChecker Display. People have reviewed all of these meters, so you should be able to find out whatever information you need about things like the software, limitations, and how the meters compare.

Technically, if you want to make sure your colorimeter stays accurate over time, you also have to be able to create corrections for it using a reference-grade spectro of some kind, but most people probably don't need to or shouldn't care about doing that. It depends on how accurate you actually need things to be. Also, it can be a bit of a process to learn how to do things like basic hardware-level calibrations of TVs if you haven't done it before (like using the CMS to calibrate the 2-point and 10-/20-point grayscale on different types of TVs). Just be patient if you start doing all of this.

That's about all I can think of right now. Anybody else, please feel free to add on any relevant information I've forgotten.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Nolgthorn posted:

I've done a little bit of research and it looks like if I get a tablet of some kind and install a few things I can have it function as a usb monitor with no latency, so I've read. So that looks to be the best option. I get a small screen, and it's a lot more functional if I want it to be.

Not sure if it's been mentioned but portable monitors get pretty small? Like Amazon link

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

J33uk posted:

Well bugger me my refurb just showed up from Dell. I'll be opening the box up later this afternoon and here's hoping everything is okay. Tad nervous now but I'll let the thread know how things go. At least Dell should have me covered if anything goes tits up.

How did it turn out?

Dell has been good about offering me a refund, at least. The phone call took a little bit, but they’re sending someone from FedEx to pick it up in a few days and should be able to issue the refund sometime after that. Just have to pack it all back up the way it was and wait.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Have had no issues returning broken monitors to dell, I think I returned 5 referbs (all had lines running though the screen or one was cracked) before they got tired of sending me them and just sent me a brand new one. I think my FedEx dudes just give 0 fucks.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Clockwerk posted:

How did it turn out?

Dell has been good about offering me a refund, at least. The phone call took a little bit, but they’re sending someone from FedEx to pick it up in a few days and should be able to issue the refund sometime after that. Just have to pack it all back up the way it was and wait.

Thankfully it arrived beautifully intact and looks absolutely wonderful! It was a bit of an incremental upgrade for me from the non-OLED version of the same model from a few years back. I'm handing that model down to a family member so everything worked out beautifully on the cost front in that regard. I took the leap to Windows 11 for the enhanced HDR support and to be reductive as hell, these black levels are just wonderful on the few things I've fired up so far. Looking forward to finally diving into Cyberpunk over this weekend to get the full HDR wow factor.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Grog posted:

Just something to consider or look into, but does your sister's school have any of their own calibration tools they'd be willing to let her use for the occasional calibration? If so, that could possibly save you the $170+ that the cheapest decent colorimeters currently cost.

If you can learn how to use DisplayCAL properly with it (and possibly HCFR for basic hardware-level calibrations), the cheapest option to get good results is probably the Calibrite ColorChecker Display, or a used X-Rite i1Display Studio or ColorMunki Display, as they're all basically the same hardware. You save some money because the included software has heavier restrictions in the cheaper models, but if you want more options and can learn to use DisplayCAL and HCFR for your profiling and calibration needs, then the cheaper versions of the meter work as well as the more expensive ones. The more expensive versions have more options/features in the included software, the ColorChecker Display Plus or i1Display Pro Plus specifically also include a higher maximum readable luminance (probably not needed by most people), and you can also buy OEM versions of the colorimeter from some calibration software companies, depending on if you want to be able to use different software with the colorimeter. Retail versions of this meter (including the more expensive ones) generally aren't compatible with other software packages like Calman, ColourSpace, etc.

Datacolor's SpyderX is apparently also a decent option now compared to their previous meters, but it still doesn't handle darker readings as well as the X-Rite-based hardware like the meters above. As far as the included software is concerned, I don't know if Datacolor's is any better than the Calibrite/X-Rite software in the same kind of price range. From the looks of it, the SpyderX Pro is around the same price as the Calibrite ColorChecker Display. People have reviewed all of these meters, so you should be able to find out whatever information you need about things like the software, limitations, and how the meters compare.

Technically, if you want to make sure your colorimeter stays accurate over time, you also have to be able to create corrections for it using a reference-grade spectro of some kind, but most people probably don't need to or shouldn't care about doing that. It depends on how accurate you actually need things to be. Also, it can be a bit of a process to learn how to do things like basic hardware-level calibrations of TVs if you haven't done it before (like using the CMS to calibrate the 2-point and 10-/20-point grayscale on different types of TVs). Just be patient if you start doing all of this.

That's about all I can think of right now. Anybody else, please feel free to add on any relevant information I've forgotten.
Thanks for the effort post! I'll ask her about the school thing.

I spotted a used ColorMunki on ebay for $100. Is there any reason I'd ever need a new one or would it work forever?

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

J33uk posted:

Thankfully it arrived beautifully intact and looks absolutely wonderful! It was a bit of an incremental upgrade for me from the non-OLED version of the same model from a few years back. I'm handing that model down to a family member so everything worked out beautifully on the cost front in that regard. I took the leap to Windows 11 for the enhanced HDR support and to be reductive as hell, these black levels are just wonderful on the few things I've fired up so far. Looking forward to finally diving into Cyberpunk over this weekend to get the full HDR wow factor.

Awesome! Glad it worked out for you, and I appreciate the report.

Guess I’ll have to keep an eye out for the next deal

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
colormunki works great for me
used one should work the same as a new one

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Lockback posted:

$655 for a Dell Refurb 34" OLED, the freesync AW3423DWF

https://slickdeals.net/f/16463797-3...b0e9ea52ab711db

I have a refurb GSync one and the refurb was pristine.

Wowza! Doesn't seem to be available anymore. I was about to return my AW3423DWF I just paid full price for.

This monitor loving owns. To be more specific the colors seem more vibrant than my LG CX OLED 4K 55" from 2021 (Xbox SX/movies/TV) but compared to my last monitor config (144hz TN panel for gaming; 60hz IPS for anything else) it's not even a contest.

edit: for anyone buying this and running into issues such as the 165hz setting allowing 8-bit color only, scroll down on this page to find the instructions to create a new display profile with CRU:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/comments/10w07qb/aw3423dwf_i_successfully_managed_10bit_at_165hz/

I'm running an AMD card but the above workaround can likely apply to those running Nvidia GPUs as well, though some have had success creating a profile within Nvidia Control Panel versus CRU.

As for HDR issues with the AW3423DW[F] model, I would use the "turn down Brightness to 67 and enable HDR 1000" method if you want the brightest implementation out of the box with HDR, otherwise use HDR True Black 400 until a firmware update is released. Still kind of confused how Windows HDR may override the monitor HDR settings but take it for what it's worth.

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 26, 2023

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

VostokProgram posted:

I spotted a used ColorMunki on ebay for $100. Is there any reason I'd ever need a new one or would it work forever?

Truga posted:

colormunki works great for me
used one should work the same as a new one
Yeah, pretty much. I have a ColorMunki Display that I think I bought around 2012 and it still works fine, and the design is supposed to be more resistant to aging and drift. A used one in good condition should likely still work the same way a new one would if you're mainly looking to get better colour accuracy and consistency across different screens/devices, and you're not concerned about having the absolute highest accuracy possible (since you need extra equipment to even check things like that). I personally bought a cheap spectro a couple of years ago to start making corrections for my Colormunki on different screen types, but I don't know if the Colormunki itself has changed much in its readings since I originally got it.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

TenaciousTomato posted:

Wowza! Doesn't seem to be available anymore. I was about to return my AW3423DWF I just paid full price for.

This monitor loving owns. To be more specific the colors seem more vibrant than my LG CX OLED 4K 55" from 2021 (Xbox SX/movies/TV) but compared to my last monitor config (144hz TN panel for gaming; 60hz IPS for anything else) it's not even a contest.

edit: for anyone buying this and running into issues such as the 165hz setting allowing 8-bit color only, scroll down on this page to find the instructions to create a new display profile with CRU:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/comments/10w07qb/aw3423dwf_i_successfully_managed_10bit_at_165hz/

I'm running an AMD card but the above workaround can likely apply to those running Nvidia GPUs as well, though some have had success creating a profile within Nvidia Control Panel versus CRU.

As for HDR issues with the AW3423DW[F] model, I would use the "turn down Brightness to 67 and enable HDR 1000" method if you want the brightest implementation out of the box with HDR, otherwise use HDR True Black 400 until a firmware update is released. Still kind of confused how Windows HDR may override the monitor HDR settings but take it for what it's worth.

How is this for work? I'm debating between the AW34 and the G3223Q . The latter is IPS 4K. My PC def can't game at 4K(but it's 1440 capable) but I'm increasingly doing more work than games these days. I've also never used a 4K monitor.

Thoughts?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Lol that LG 27" oled I complained about the remote battery cover screw? Well apparently there's a screwdriver in the box. Now I never saw it and am too lazy to go look for it, but my brother got one and pointed it out to me. Not that anyone was debating if they should buy it based on that but I thought it was mildly amusing.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

In fairness, if nothing else EVE is very pretty.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Clockwerk posted:

Awesome! Glad it worked out for you, and I appreciate the report.

Guess I’ll have to keep an eye out for the next deal

It's just an exceptionally pretty monitor. I didn't expect to really notice the jump from 120hz to 165hz but it does feel smoother. What's the point of diminishing returns on refresh rate anyway? I can't imagine people noticing a huge difference from 200hz to 240hz but I'm curious what people have experienced.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Depending on what monitor you came from you might be noticing a better response time and input lag more than the extra hz

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Lowness 72 posted:

How is this for work? I'm debating between the AW34 and the G3223Q . The latter is IPS 4K. My PC def can't game at 4K(but it's 1440 capable) but I'm increasingly doing more work than games these days. I've also never used a 4K monitor.

Thoughts?

I have used a 4K display before (only on a laptop so not exactly the best comparison) and ended up having to scale things up as the text was just too small in some cases. That was a decent amount of time ago though. I think it's important that whatever OS and programs you are running have the ability to scale/render nicely otherwise it can become cumbersome.

As for how the AW34 is for work, I will need some more time to use for that purpose it as I just got it set up last Friday. There is minor text fringing due to the BGR (or BRG?) sub pixel layout which I think the Samsung G8 also exhibits due to it using the same panel as the AW34. It doesn't bother me much though; in the future there may be some OS enhancements to implement text rendering better with this layout.

It's the widescreen resolution and aspect ratio of the AW34 that do it for me, along with the overall picture quality in terms of color and contrast provided by the QD OLED.

edit: I will say that the capability to snap windows into certain areas of the screen should certainly help with keeping multiple programs like email, IDE, and web browser visible simultaneously at work.

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Rakeris posted:

Not sure if it's been mentioned but portable monitors get pretty small? Like Amazon link

I looked at a few raspberry pi displays and ultimately decided it's too far away from a consumer product. I've played with pi's before but I don't want to set one up just to have a little display. The tablet I bought is a bit finicky after my computer goes to sleep, but it's not a big issue.

Separate topic I bought two Lenovo L28u-30 monitors for my new setup a while ago, they were very cheap and work great. I'm not a big tech head about specs though so there might be something I'm missing about the necessity of 3 billion exoseconds of response time. Just a heads up that these made my workstation awesome, running one vertical and one horizontal.