Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Doltos posted:

Payton's offense never evolved from quick hitting 3 route tree combinations with the occasional hand off after everyone backed up. Once the talent could do slant/go/deep post anymore it was over for him in New Orleans. I don't see how his offense fits Russell Wilson at all.

They had top 5 offenses in 2019 and 2020 with dead armed Brees and probably the worst WR talent they ever had. 2019 was Mike Thomas, Ted Ginn, and TreQuan Smith at WR with Josh Hill at TE. 2020 had Emmanuel Sanders instead of Ginn except he was injured for most of the year. And Brees couldn’t throw past 10 yards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Garbage time is a hell of a thing

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Doltos posted:

Garbage time is a hell of a thing

If you score a lot of points you get into garbage time pretty quickly, that’s the trick.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah, kinda willing to let the whole Sean Payton thing play out.

As it might just turns out Hackett is loving trash. and an even competent offensive coach will have Russ playing at least as well as he did a couple of years ago.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Dexo posted:

As it might just turns out Hackett is loving trash. and an even competent offensive coach will have Russ playing at least as well as he did a couple of years ago.

This would be double comedy since it means it doesn't even matter who the Jets end up with at QB, their offensive scheme will be so bad it drags even Rodgers or Carr down below the waves.

Personally I think Russ is loving cooked and if the Broncos improve under Payton it will be because he works with and around his limitations, not because he magically turns Russ back into a pro bowler. That would be the funniest outcome but I don't think it's realistic. More likely Denver suddenly has a sick nasty run game next year. Which is not going to get you anywhere in the AFC but it would be better than what they had in 2022.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Docjowles posted:

This would be double comedy since it means it doesn't even matter who the Jets end up with at QB, their offensive scheme will be so bad it drags even Rodgers or Carr down below the waves.

Personally I think Russ is loving cooked and if the Broncos improve under Payton it will be because he works with and around his limitations, not because he magically turns Russ back into a pro bowler. That would be the funniest outcome but I don't think it's realistic. More likely Denver suddenly has a sick nasty run game next year. Which is not going to get you anywhere in the AFC but it would be better than what they had in 2022.

tbf, it's not particularly hard to make the Pro Bowl :v:

Mitch Made one.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah and in 2022 Tyler Huntley "made it". If Russ even gets back to the form where he's picked as a replacement over meme QBs that's a coup. Although I was talking about guys named to the roster the first time, not the chumps who can't get out of going to it :v:

Also I was going to say "ok fine, all-pro, mr pedantic" but holy crap I did not realize Russ had only been even 2nd team all-pro just once, in 2019. Always the bridesmaid

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Dexo posted:

The offense did play better a little bit once Hackett was fired so maybe he was just that bad

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Doltos posted:

Payton's offense never evolved from quick hitting 3 route tree combinations with the occasional hand off after everyone backed up. Once the talent could do slant/go/deep post anymore it was over for him in New Orleans. I don't see how his offense fits Russell Wilson at all.

Yeah there's a reason his teams never really did much after the miracle run despite the big numbers

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Metapod posted:

Yeah there's a reason his teams never really did much after the miracle run despite the big numbers

That reason was that the defenses sucked for like a decade.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Pretty sure a true offensive guru wouldn't always be held to 20 points in all these playoff losses but I guess blaming the defense is easy

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Anyway enough of offensive Jeff Fisher

Every qb outside of stroud feels like bait to get a gm fired

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Metapod posted:

Pretty sure a true offensive guru wouldn't always be held to 20 points in all these playoff losses but I guess blaming the defense is easy

Good offenses score less in the playoffs because they are playing better teams

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

People give Reid and the Chiefs credit for moving up to 10 for Mahomes but the truth is they were getting in front of the Saints who were definitely going to draft him at 11.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

kiimo posted:

People give Reid and the Chiefs credit for moving up to 10 for Mahomes but the truth is they were getting in front of the Saints who were definitely going to draft him at 11.

Yea, obviously the Saints would have approached things very differently from a cap perspective if they’d drafted Mahomes.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Is there a good site with scouting reports gone by. Somewhat curious as to how Richardson is comparing to similar prospects coming out in years past.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

BlindSite posted:

Is there a good site with scouting reports gone by. Somewhat curious as to how Richardson is comparing to similar prospects coming out in years past.

Drafttek and nfldraftbuzz both archive for a year. I think CBS keeps theirs for a bit too.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Doltos posted:

Drafttek and nfldraftbuzz both archive for a year. I think CBS keeps theirs for a bit too.

Ah I was more thinking cam, Lamar, kapernick, Allen and Jones etc.

I'll try a bit of a look this afternoon. Thought there might have been a database somewhere.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

BlindSite posted:

Ah I was more thinking cam, Lamar, kapernick, Allen and Jones etc.

I'll try a bit of a look this afternoon. Thought there might have been a database somewhere.

For better or worse nfl.com has "player draft and combine profiles" with some blurbs about the prospects. might be worth a look if only for curiosity's sake. e.g. https://www.nfl.com/prospects/cam-newton/32004e45-5769-3984-c32b-2c25062be531

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

These two rock. Maybe I'll check in for the combine for once.

https://twitter.com/acmepackingco/status/1628854741932408832

quote:

Other current NFL players participating as analysts during the broadcasts include defensive linemen Calais Campbell and Matthew Judon, linebacker Devin White, cornerbacks Joe Haden and Sauce Gardner, safeties Kenny Moore and Jordan Poyer, wide receiver Adam Thielen, tight ends Dawson Knox and Dallas Goedert, and offensive linemen Taylor Lewan and Dion Dawkins.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Good second screen fodder for the workdays, catch the highlights on the weekends. I'm just interested in the big boys

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/benvolin/status/1629183295618531329?s=46&t=DcBXErlGIUJUj8quAgYfkQ
https://twitter.com/nateatkins_/status/1629182820823228426?s=46&t=DcBXErlGIUJUj8quAgYfkQ
https://twitter.com/mikereiss/status/1629180899471368193?s=46&t=DcBXErlGIUJUj8quAgYfkQ

DJ is doing a conference call.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I look forward to drafting the one TE who doesn't really work out.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think the Colts will trade up, but who is the distant 3rd best QB? Nobody can even agree on who the best QB is this draft and the rankings are all over the place.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Seattle will gladly take the “third best” qb, Mr stroud.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

The distant third QB is whoever the person leaking this information to these reporters actually want lol.

Like if I had any faith in the bears front office being competent I would think they did a masterful job completely tanking Fields' draft status to get him to fall to where he did lol. The guy, who clearly was the second best prospect in the draft.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Seattle will gladly take the “third best” qb, Mr stroud.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Yeah it feels weird to have him say both "teams are all over the place with their rankings of these QBs" and "Colts better move up or they risk missing out on their top two guys" at the same time.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

It's the best part of listening to Robert Mays is him openly calling whomever you think the #1 prospect is a true generational talent, franchise rockbed cornerstone that you absolutely have to secure the bag to get.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

I cannot wait til we get to the stage like 3 weeks from now where we somehow listening to reporters and insiders talk like Levis and Richardson are QB1A and QB1B

Kalli posted:

It's the best part of listening to Robert Mays is him openly calling whomever you think the #1 prospect is a true generational talent, franchise rockbed cornerstone that you absolutely have to secure the bag to get.

Long suffering Bears fan Robert Mays knows what's up

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Flashback to 2017 when 3 went on the 1st and the only good TE went in the 4th

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
So what do you guys think Bijan Robinson's ceiling is?

10 to Philly?

quote:

1. Chicago Bears
2. Houston Texans
3. Arizona Cardinals
4. Indianapolis Colts
5. Seattle Seahawks (from Denver)
6. Detroit Lions (from LA Rams)
7. Las Vegas Raiders
8. Atlanta Falcons
9. Carolina Panthers
10. Philadelphia Eagles (from New Orleans)
11. Tennessee Titans
12. Houston Texans (from Cleveland)
13. New York Jets
14. New England Patriots
15. Green Bay Packers
16. Washington Commanders
17. Pittsburgh Steelers
18. Detroit Lions
19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
20. Seattle Seahawks
21. Los Angeles Chargers
22. Baltimore Ravens
23. Minnesota Vikings
24. Jacksonville Jaguars
25. New York Giants
26. Dallas Cowboys
27. Buffalo Bills
28. Cincinnati Bengals
29. New Orleans Saints (from DEN via SF and MIA)
30. Philadelphia Eagles
31. Kansas City Chiefs

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

wandler20 posted:

10 to Philly?

There is a -1000% chance Philly drafts a RB with a top 10 pick

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Doltos posted:

TDN archives as well for at least a year if you use google search. Whoever archives their page is poo poo.

Ehud posted:

I look forward to drafting the one TE who doesn't really work out.

Not retaining Gesicki in the goals of that offense would be extremely weird and on brand. Shaheen sucks but Gesicki is like the idea flex TE for the Shanny tree.

It’s a deep TE class, but I also don’t see any dude out there who is a Pitts-caliber guy so there’s not going to be an obvious shortage. Lowkey Darnell Washington in that Dolphins scheme would be filthy in complimenting a Gesicki type if you occasionally flex him into the backfield as an H or even a FB.

Dexo posted:

I cannot wait til we get to the stage like 3 weeks from now where we somehow listening to reporters and insiders talk like Levis and Richardson are QB1A and QB1B

Long suffering Bears fan Robert Mays knows what's up

For years we’ve pretended that there is a such a thing as a safe bet when even QB prospects who objectively should work out don’t—gamble on the freak is the new “RBs don’t matter”

wandler20 posted:

10 to Philly?

Bijian in Philly is weird because he kinda plays like a bigger version of Sanders. I really like him as a prospect, but I don’t get the anointing of him as a Zeke/Gurley caliber prospect when he’s missing the power gear those guys had. He’s ideal for the current Zone/Counter meta in running, so I’d say top 10-15 is probably fair but will still probably feel like an overdraft in 5 seasons when he’s hurt. I think the comparison for him should actually be Melvin Gordon for the record.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

TheGreyGhost posted:

Not retaining Gesicki in the goals of that offense would be extremely weird and on brand. Shaheen sucks but Gesicki is like the idea flex TE for the Shanny tree.

It’s a deep TE class, but I also don’t see any dude out there who is a Pitts-caliber guy so there’s not going to be an obvious shortage. Lowkey Darnell Washington in that Dolphins scheme would be filthy in complimenting a Gesicki type if you occasionally flex him into the backfield as an H or even a FB.

I'm not sure what we'll do with Gesicki. Miami franchised him, expected him to improve as a blocker, that never happened, and then he...just sort of sat a lot this year. I think he had about 50 targets, which is less than half of what he had the year prior.

also lol

https://twitter.com/mikegesicki/status/1628787817399681035?s=20

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Ehud posted:

I'm not sure what we'll do with Gesicki. Miami franchised him, expected him to improve as a blocker, that never happened, and then he...just sort of sat a lot this year. I think he had about 50 targets, which is less than half of what he had the year prior.

also lol

https://twitter.com/mikegesicki/status/1628787817399681035?s=20

Fantastic

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
There’s almost no way that Bijan gets drafted top ten, but I don’t think he falls lower than 20.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Gonz posted:

There’s almost no way that Bijan gets drafted top ten, but I don’t think he falls lower than 20.

This seems pretty spot on imo.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Teams are still willing to draft RB's in the later half of the first round, but I dunno what kind of prospect would have to show up for one to go top 10 now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Gonz posted:

The problem is, which team ends up taking him? Most of the teams in 11-20 either already have a good RB and/or have far more pressing needs for their first-round pick.

This year's free agency is also loaded which will make it cheaper to sign a solid back.