Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
The discussion about what people believe and genuineness is interesting but it doesn’t seem to me like it affects whether something is a fun comment or a catcall. You have to read the person and roll the dice. Any of the nice compliments people have listed as examples of not-catcalling could become catcalling if they’d received them differently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

well why not posted:

this man's chewbacca costume speaks to him like the Green Goblin mask

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2013/10/menace.html?m=1

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

AKA Pseudonym posted:

AITA for telling my wife that I married a moron

r/relationships: I apologized to my wife for calling her a moron, and expressed that I am indeed the moron

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Tale as old as time...

From Slate:

quote:

Dear Care and Feeding,

How much should parents disclose during divorce, when the divorce itself is sparked by sex issues? My husband and I are the parents of a 16-year-old and a 17-year-old, and if things continue as they are, we’re probably sliding toward divorce. I hope that’s not the case, but I’ve lined up a lawyer, and I’m on a therapy waitlist.

Two years ago, my husband announced in the middle of what I thought was a good sex life, that he wanted to open up our marriage. It was very strongly implied that he would leave me if I disagreed. I agreed to it unhappily, but ultimately it worked very well for me, and I was really happy with my new experiences. He was less so since he’s not gotten much interest and the two times he succeeded were both disappointing to him. He was so upset that after 18 months we closed the relationship, but being exposed to other options and discovering that he can be really selfish in a lot of ways beyond sex definitely opened my eyes. He’s leaning hard on a whole “traditional marriage” thing as a result, and I’m quite unhappy. I’m worried he’s going to claim I cheated on him if I pursue a divorce, and I don’t want to ruin things with our kids, but I also don’t know if I can stay.

:allears:

Gist of the response:

quote:

But at no point would it be necessary to tell your kids that your marriage unraveled over an attempt at an open relationship and you shouldn’t feel bad about keeping that to yourself, perhaps indefinitely.

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

"Listen kids, your dad really wanted to bone some strangers, but turns out the strangers are way more into your mom."

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

LadyPictureShow posted:

Tale as old as time...

From Slate:

:allears:

Gist of the response:

No matter how many times this story gets told, I don't get tired of it. :allears:

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Pirate Radar posted:

The discussion about what people believe and genuineness is interesting but it doesn’t seem to me like it affects whether something is a fun comment or a catcall. You have to read the person and roll the dice. Any of the nice compliments people have listed as examples of not-catcalling could become catcalling if they’d received them differently.

Well, my advice was mostly for readers of this thread, since at least one person expressed some anxiety over giving compliments and being perceived the wrong way. Once again, if you are genuine and have no ulterior expectations then I think there's nothing wrong with throwing a compliment out there. Just be aware that the person may be having a hard time, or may not have heard you, or may be a dick, and so you can't even necessarily expect a smile or thank you, and if that's a reason you are giving a compliment then you probably shouldn't be giving one. And don't drag out the interaction.

I'm pretty sure most of us here can recall times where we were complimented on something and it made our day better.

To add another catcalling story, though, my ex told me about how one day he was walking down his street and a tall buff guy told him that he "had nice legs". My ex was creeped out (it's definitely a weird comment) and said he hoofed it out of there even faster. So while the "imagine if you were catcalled by a group of women!!!" argument never works, because guys have no fear of women bashing their heads in if they respond the wrong way, perhaps if they had to endure big buff guys giving them creepy "compliments" instead it'd be a good lesson. (The real best lesson is to just not be a shitheel, and stand up against people being creepy, especially if you are also a guy.)

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

LadyPictureShow posted:

Tale as old as time...

From Slate:

I find it hard to believe the 16 & 17 year olds haven't already figured out Mom & Dad are boning
other people

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

quantumwell posted:

I find it hard to believe the 16 & 17 year olds haven't already figured out Mom & Dad are boning
other people

I think most teenagers have an almost infinite capability to ignore that Mom and Dad are having or have ever had sex at any point.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I remember when a high school friend telling me she always took the stairs because she was scared of elevators. I said, "I didn't know you were claustrophobic." And she said it wasn't enclosed spaces, it was enclosed spaces with strange men. It was a definitely a moment where my perception of things changed. For that reason I always stare at my phone and stand looking away from women when I'm on the elevator with them. Let them know I'm not a threat.

Also dick pics are the modern equivalent of opening your trench coat imo. It's not really about seduction, just power.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Yeah, getting a random compliment in the street can be really uplifting - I still remember when a passing woman told me my ankle-length bright orange skirt was "gorgeous" :3: I try to do the same thing myself, but I always keep it to things the person has chosen to do - great haircut/outfit/tattoo.
Unchangeable physical characteristics are much more likely to be sensitive. I think prominent noses are really beautiful, but I know a lot of people who have anything bigger than a button nose might be unhappy with it, so I don't comment on that poo poo with strangers.
I can be awfully oblivious - I remember being in a Dominicks in Chicago, and a guy complimented my golden runners, and asked where I got them. All unfamiliar with supermarket flirting, I told him the actual answer - Marshall Field's, quite possibly the least stylish place to pick up nice shoes.
Poor guy was so baffled.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I've had a few 'I like your jacket!' style compliments that were very nice.

The catcall that made me just - super tired was one Saturday afternoon, I had been to the bookshop and was headed for the bus, just ambling along in my own world. Dressed very down, fleece and joggers, mind elsewhere. There was a coach pulled up and a group of men hanging around beside it. 50s-60s white men, laughing and smoking, I guess they were on a break from a longer coach journey. One of them called out "Excuse me love?" and I paused and took an earbud out, thinking they wanted to know the time, or maybe directions. The guy who shouted pointed at another one and said, "My mate fancies you." And then they all laughed, giggling and pushing each other, like little boys.

And I just felt so *tired*. I just want to go home. I don't want to have to figure out if you're threatening me, or if you're drunk, or if the joke is 'we're acting like children' or the joke is 'you're so unattractive that the idea is ridiculous' - I just want to go *home*. I just stared for a second and then walked on but it still kind of bothers me to think about. How loud they were laughing and how eagerly they were watching for my reaction.

Ugh.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
When I was in my mid 20s this tween in west Philadelphia looked at the blue suede shoes I got at a discount store in Camden and was like "Hey kid, nice sneaks."

He might have been making fun of me but my mind interpreted it as a compliment and I'll remember it forever.

They loving were nice sneaks

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Pookah posted:

I can be awfully oblivious - I remember being in a Dominicks in Chicago, and a guy complimented my golden runners, and asked where I got them. All unfamiliar with supermarket flirting, I told him the actual answer - Marshall Field's, quite possibly the least stylish place to pick up nice shoes.
Poor guy was so baffled.

Wait, what answer are you supposed to give, if not the true answer?

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I got a nice new shirt to take on my trip overseas last year - a black button-down with colorful flowers on it, I call it my dark-mode Hawaiian shirt - and the number of compliments I got for it just at the airport on the first day set the tone of my trip perfectly :shobon:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Clocks posted:

Well, my advice was mostly for readers of this thread, since at least one person expressed some anxiety over giving compliments and being perceived the wrong way. Once again, if you are genuine and have no
<snip>

My advice to people:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DTNZEJeQt8

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I don't know that I've ever gotten a compliment on anything. Except my overkill COVID respirator, but they were probably being sarcastic.

Runcible Cat posted:

AITA for refusing to speak around my fathers friend who's a cop?

This kid should get a camera for his room lest he be arrested for resisting arrest.

The cop can technically search his room, since he's been invited inside by the owner of the house too. :drac:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

On a related but lighter-hearted note, I startled the heck out of a woman last night. We've had some surprise snow here, everything's iced up, and cars have no business being on the road right now but some people have to get places anyway. I was out for a walk and had gotten into the habit of just standing still and waiting when someone was trying to work their way up the street, ready to dodge or help if necessary. Anyway, she'd been helping someone pull out and get on their way, focused on the sliding car as I was, and when she turned around and saw me about fifteen feet away she jumped pretty bad. The snow was pretty crunchy but I'd stopped walking while she was still focused on the car.

At that point I was acutely aware how difficult it is to say "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you" that doesn't sound like it's the start of a slasher movie. I hope once the adrenaline spike stopped she had as good a laugh about the situation as I did.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

When I was in my mid 20s this tween in west Philadelphia looked at the blue suede shoes I got at a discount store in Camden and was like "Hey kid, nice sneaks."

He might have been making fun of me but my mind interpreted it as a compliment and I'll remember it forever.

Were they Adidas Gazelles? Because I used to have a pair and yes they fuckin rule, I wore them til the soles completely worn out.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Bruceski posted:

On a related but lighter-hearted note, I startled the heck out of a woman last night. We've had some surprise snow here, everything's iced up, and cars have no business being on the road right now but some people have to get places anyway. I was out for a walk and had gotten into the habit of just standing still and waiting when someone was trying to work their way up the street, ready to dodge or help if necessary. Anyway, she'd been helping someone pull out and get on their way, focused on the sliding car as I was, and when she turned around and saw me about fifteen feet away she jumped pretty bad. The snow was pretty crunchy but I'd stopped walking while she was still focused on the car.

At that point I was acutely aware how difficult it is to say "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you" that doesn't sound like it's the start of a slasher movie. I hope once the adrenaline spike stopped she had as good a laugh about the situation as I did.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Wait, what answer are you supposed to give, if not the true answer?

Something flirty and intriguing.
I know, I will always default to the exactly honest and true, but I can understand that other people can extrapolate other reactions and work them out to make for other results

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

absolutely certain he sincerely liked your sneaks

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
as a straight male my main concern in life is alerting women to the fact that they do, indeed, have a "smackin' dumper". what if they don't know??

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pookah posted:

Poor guy was so baffled.

Maybe he just didn't know Marshall Field's?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Maybe he just didn't know Marshall Field's?

It was mid-ninties Chicago. You'd have to be extremely broken to not be aware of Marshall Fields on State Street. It's like not knowing about Saks in fifth avenue.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Deformed Church posted:

Yeah her income could be pretty much anything. Youtube and twitch income can be massively variable from month to month, as well as what demo you're attracting, and how well you're incentivising tipsand if you've snagged any whales, and what kind of sponsorships you're getting, and if you've got a patreon, and and and...

You have to be really good, and you also have to be really lucky, and you also have to not be really unlucky at any point. You can do everything right and still fail very very easily, or just stall out somewhere along the way and ride along for years with static viewer numbers. Neither twitch nor youtube are particularly good at pointing people to channels they'll like, their systems overwhelmingly point you to whatever's getting the most clicks generally, so people who make content that isn't that can really stuggle with findability (and "that" is usually either highly skilled gameplay, some arsehole screaming at a horror game, or someone with some pre-existing hook). It's also a pretty brutal business in terms of how quickly you can drop off if you don't stay on the ball, taking a week off can be a massive hit and if you're not regularly getting exposure from somewhere, attrition will wear down everything except your very core audience pretty quickly.

most of that is covered in those videos i recommended. that said the how easy it is to drop off isnt and also another thing if you get known for a specific game your audience will not follow you to new games and will massively drop off when ever you dont play it. so now youre kind of stuck playing a game you may infact hate. ive seen people i enjoyed watching try to change games and their view count is almost literally decimated. one of them recently went back to the original game but in the mean time people have moved on to other streamers so his viewers are still bad.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
AITA for "putting ideas in someone's head" to go back to school instead of working full time?

quote:

I (29m) arranged a cleaner for my mom's house, I'll call her Jane (23f). I run into her from time to time and we talk.

Jane is insanely smart. Insanely. She got into two Ivy schools but she couldn't go and leave her family behind. She has an older sister and 4 younger siblings. Her dad goes in and out of their family as he wishes, and her mom cares for them but doesn't do much herself. Her sister works full time and she has a younger brother in trade school. Jane went to state school for a while but dropped out so she could also work full time.

At one point I asked her if she enjoyed what she does, and she was very direct, saying she hates her life but does it because she loves her family and wants to provide for them.

A few weeks ago I asked Jane if she would want to go back to school. She said that's not possible because she already dropped out once and she can't pay for it. Dropping out isn't a big deal, plenty of people do and go back later. There's also financial aid available and I know people who could arrange something for her.

I have a friend working in a company that in Jane's field of study. If she keeps her grades up, she could get an internship there and then go into bigger positions at bigger companies.

I asked her if she'd like to do this, because I think she has a lot of potential that's being suppressed. If she chose not to though that's also completely her choice.

Jane said she couldn't because she had to work. Her sister was also planning to get married to her boyfriend and move away, so she (Jane) would need to stay close by to pick up her siblings from school and things. I suggested that she pick up a casual job (fast food, etc) to do alongside her studies, like many students do. She won't be earning as much as she does now, but she'll be studying which is the bigger goal. There's also school buses and other options for her siblings if she can't make it. She said she'd think about it.

Last week, Jane told me she wants to go back to school and finish her studies.

So yesterday I got a call from Jane's older sister. She went off at me saying I put all these ideas into Jane's head and made her think she's hot stuff. That it's not my place and I didn't need to stick my head into other people's business. This went on for a while.

Now I'm thinking if I really went too far? Her sister was pissed at me to say the least.

AITA?

Fingers crossed that Jane gets to spread her wings and fly.

atomicdream
Oct 4, 2017

shaking my money maker to fund my crippling glamour addiction.
I've only been catcalled once, about five years ago. I was walking to the food trucks for lunch and some disheveled guy sitting on the sidewalk half shouted at me, "ay baby lemme eat that rear end!"

I'm sure I was supposed to be scandalized, but the absurdity of it just made me laugh uncontrollably instead.

I do try to give out compliments to people though because I know genuine compliments can really make someone's day.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Lemniscate Blue posted:

AITA for "putting ideas in someone's head" to go back to school instead of working full time?

Fingers crossed that Jane gets to spread her wings and fly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VScEQVHFDUc

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

atomicdream posted:

I've only been catcalled once, about five years ago. I was walking to the food trucks for lunch and some disheveled guy sitting on the sidewalk half shouted at me, "ay baby lemme eat that rear end!"

I'm sure I was supposed to be scandalized, but the absurdity of it just made me laugh uncontrollably instead.

I do try to give out compliments to people though because I know genuine compliments can really make someone's day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl6xgPnan78

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
I, a straight white dude, was sitting by a river when this absolute giant of a man (think zerglingminor sized) walked up, squatted down and asked if I had a sister. I said no, he paused, looked me in the eyes and said

"That's a shame, I'd like to meet a beautiful woman"
Then he got up and walked away. That was about 15 years ago and I still think about it every time someone asks me if I have siblings.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Pirate Radar posted:

The thing is, there are ways to signal that it's a disinterested comment. Brief eye contact, compliment, then walk away fast. That's pretty unambiguously praise rather than an attempt to make someone uncomfortable.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

atomicdream posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wAsAg7LwhA

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The thing is, there are ways to signal that it's a disinterested comment. Brief eye contact, compliment, then walk away fast. That's pretty unambiguously praise rather than an attempt to make someone uncomfortable.

Yeah, every time it’s a catcall, the aggressor is watching you for your reaction. You can feel it even when you’re already walking away and refuse to turn back. A compliment should be given directly without expectation.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

carrionman posted:

I, a straight white dude, was sitting by a river when this absolute giant of a man (think zerglingminor sized) walked up, squatted down and asked if I had a sister. I said no, he paused, looked me in the eyes and said

Then he got up and walked away. That was about 15 years ago and I still think about it every time someone asks me if I have siblings.

He was 100% hitting on you, you probably missed out on the best dick in your life.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

carrionman posted:

:eyepop: This man was on a quest.

When I was in my early 20s and didn’t have a car/walked around a lot I got some gross catcalls, usually solitary guys. And groups of guys in cars.

Few months ago was walking alone at night and some loving teens kept shouting “hey shawty” at me and literally followed me down and around several blocks in their car. Initially I thought they were shouting at a friend but getting followed freaked me out.

Crocobile fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 25, 2023

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I think the funniest catcall I ever got was a guy passing by me in an empty park early in the morning telling me "hey, don't forget black guys have the biggest dicks, aiite?" It was honestly more funny than anything. (And he kept walking so it wasn't too threatening.)

Crocobile posted:

Few months ago was walking alone at night and some loving teens kept shouting “hey shawty” at me and literally followed me down and around several blocks in their car. Initially I thought they were shouting at a friend but getting followed freaked me out.

That's creepy and loving sucks. :(

My nicest car-"catcall" story was some drunk people in a car yelling "HOLY poo poo THAT HAT IS AMAZING!" at me one late night. It was, in fact, a super dope hat so they had good taste.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Clocks posted:

I think the funniest catcall I ever got was a guy passing by me in an empty park early in the morning telling me "hey, don't forget black guys have the biggest dicks, aiite?"

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Clocks posted:

I think the funniest catcall I ever got was a guy passing by me in an empty park early in the morning telling me "hey, don't forget black guys have the biggest dicks, aiite?"

Did you yell back "Actually, blue whales do!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Catcalling: I've been straight up followed several times, on foot and by car. I've had guys try to convince me to get in their car at least 5 times, usually while waiting for the bus. I've been cornered on train platforms, I've had guys blow cigarette smoke in my face, I get told to smile more a lot. Customers often think I'm flirting because I'm overly friendly and my customer service voice is really bubbly. Nah brah, I get paid to do this and I want to be good at my job.

I feel like it's how I look a lot younger and more innocent/naive than I am, I'm also pretty frail and delicate physically. I'm an easy target. I feel like I'm very lucky I haven't gotten hurt yet. Public is scary often. I don't like it out there.