Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
$10M isn’t a lot for todays games, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That was about the same production budget as Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice so you can imagine a 6-8 hour not terrible-looking horror game targeting that window.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Blumhouse deals in volume over quality and considering that's basically how the horror game genre already works, I'm here for it. If this means a lot more indie and AA studios get money thrown at them it's a good thing.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
My big question with Blumhouse as a horror publisher/developer is going to be how it handles its business. If it does the Amazon thing where it's determined to only bring its own boutique, original IP to market, with no grasp on the realities of game development and no interest in figuring it out, then we'll never hear from this again and it won't be a tremendous loss.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Glad that now the Game stores can also be clogged with boring by the numbers horror chaff just like my local theatre.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Vermain posted:

callisto is a horrible ice planet and made the biting cold the primary terror throughout all its sections, because that could easily punch up an otherwise mediocre setting for me
This makes me wish, yet again, that there was some way to get Cryostasis playable on modern machines.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The best looking parts of Callisto Protocol were that wide shot in the habitation dome with Jupiter in the sky (or any part where you can see Jupiter really), and the entire time you were outside in the blizzard which was entirely too short.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

SettingSun posted:

The best looking parts of Callisto Protocol were that wide shot in the habitation dome with Jupiter in the sky (or any part where you can see Jupiter really), and the entire time you were outside in the blizzard which was entirely too short.

Those two areas and the sewer were the only areas in the game visually distinct enough to even describe beyond "box with some sci-fi greebles and inexplicable spike walls"

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

exquisite tea posted:

But will Steve Blum play an important role in their tentpole franchise.

Isn't he one of the better producers in the film biz, in that he allows his creatives to have control of their projects and doesn't demand his own cuts in the final edit? Yeah some movies don't turn out that great but there's a huge difference between a bad script or inept director versus the producer(s) or execs sabotaging the project (Alien 3, or the Weinsteins demanding cuts in the films their companies released, etc.)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Agent Escalus posted:

Isn't he one of the better producers in the film biz, in that he allows his creatives to have control of their projects and doesn't demand his own cuts in the final edit? Yeah some movies don't turn out that great but there's a huge difference between a bad script or inept director versus the producer(s) or execs sabotaging the project (Alien 3, or the Weinsteins demanding cuts in the films their companies released, etc.)

No worse yet he has never even produced a film or game before. Seems like a lot to take on for a voice actor.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Wasn't that David Hayter who did all that since he is also a voice actor, or was he only ever a writer?

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

it was david hayter that worked in screenwriting in addition to being a voice actor

steve blum is the voice actor that was in every game that had voice acting since the mid 90s

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"

veni veni veni posted:

No worse yet he has never even produced a film or game before. Seems like a lot to take on for a voice actor.

Turns out I was mistaking for Jason Blum and/or a joke post, my bad

Agent Escalus fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Feb 23, 2023

al-azad
May 28, 2009

New RE4 trailer at State of Play. We see a very bald and haggard looking Saddler, hear Salazar's voice, and Krauser looks like a proper playable knife fight using the new melee controls.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

al-azad posted:

New RE4 trailer at State of Play. We see a very bald and haggard looking Saddler, hear Salazar's voice, and Krauser looks like a proper playable knife fight using the new melee controls.

And more importantly suplexes :hellyeah:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Luis seems to be pulling double duty as the comedic foil I really hope he survives through the game.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Notably, Luis is taking part in the 2 gigantes fight, which is on the island, which happens after he dies in the RE4 original. There are recognizable levels but the new mechanics look great and reasonable (Leon ducking that stupid scythe throw attack). I'm excited.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I just can't wait to parry the chainsaw and die multiple times because my timing sucks.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Finished Dead Space 3, cool final boss fight but the entire game feels like it was handled by another developer to the first two games. Not an awful game but just a bit bland more than anything else.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I still pine for those old school Survival Horror games. Maybe the gameplay and mechanics are fundamentally dated and only existed in the first place due to technical limitations and lack of experience. I don't care. Give me fixed camera angles, pre-rendered backgrounds, tank controls and nonsensical puzzles.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

sponges posted:

I still pine for those old school Survival Horror games. Maybe the gameplay and mechanics are fundamentally dated and only existed in the first place due to technical limitations and lack of experience. I don't care. Give me fixed camera angles, pre-rendered backgrounds, tank controls and nonsensical puzzles.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1257030/Heartworm/

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

sponges posted:

Have you tried Tormented Souls? It gave me major RE OG vibes, complete with frustrating lack of saves

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Tormented Souls was a fun like 7/10 eurojank game complete with baffling voice direction and awkward writing. I recommend.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Medullah posted:

Have you tried Tormented Souls? It gave me major RE OG vibes, complete with frustrating lack of saves

Nice. I'll have to check those out. Thanks.

I'm actually playing RE0 for the first time since 2002 or whatever and god drat the complaints ring so true. Constantly dicking around with your inventory is tiresome and the weapons in the game are just anemic. Throwing items on the ground is a little...inelegant.

Still, I like that's it's old school RE and the pre-rendered background are gorgeous.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I would just tell everyone looking at RE0 to play Sweet Home instead.

If you're looking for old school RE goodness don't sleep on Parasite Eve 2. A bad follow up to PE, a good PS1 era survival horror.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
The indie horror scene is really starting to rev up the PS1 clones and I am very thankful for it.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I'm just glad the indie horror scene has moved on a little bit from the "gather X notes/whatever while a monster wanders around some unity assets" genre

Now it's only like 80% of them or so

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Nnow we just need to get rid of all the can't fight back-likes

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I really love the structure of PS1 survival horror but don't miss fixed camera angles and awkward shooting at all. The exploration/metroidvania-esque element is all I care about and it's the main thing most horror doesn't do anymore save for more recent RE games. Resident Evil 2 remake and the Dead Space remake are basically exactly what I want out of horror game. Action, exploration, fun combat, unlocking doors...

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Disposable Scud posted:

The indie horror scene is really starting to rev up the PS1 clones and I am very thankful for it.

I'm the opposite, not because I don't like the ideas and stuff, but because everyone seems to think it's a good idea to force a headache inducing visual filter on top. They doesn't even make it look like a PSX game.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

sponges posted:

Signalis

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
Sons of the Forest is in early access, but plays well.
It’s extremely creepy and scary at times, and the basebuilding aspects are somewhat ignorable if you’re not into it.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Hel posted:

I'm the opposite, not because I don't like the ideas and stuff, but because everyone seems to think it's a good idea to force a headache inducing visual filter on top. They doesn't even make it look like a PSX game.

actually replicating the look of a PSX game is a real challenge, and a ton of indie horror devs think that a pixelation filter and texture warping is all you need

something like signalis or no one lives under the lighthouse gets it just about right, taking advantage of the grainy, eery quality of that era in a way that complements the horror well

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I’m sure I’m not the first to point this out but 5th gen graphics lend themselves well to horror. Everything looks like a rough approximation of what it’s portraying and your brain fills in the rest.

I gotta check out those old RE knock-offs from back in the day. A YouTuber did a series on them and some look interesting.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

sponges posted:

I’m sure I’m not the first to point this out but 5th gen graphics lend themselves well to horror. Everything looks like a rough approximation of what it’s portraying and your brain fills in the rest.

I gotta check out those old RE knock-offs from back in the day. A YouTuber did a series on them and some look interesting.

Avalanche Reviews? He's a bit too positive for my tastes but I still watch all his stuff.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

ElectricWizard posted:

Sons of the Forest is in early access, but plays well.
It’s extremely creepy and scary at times, and the basebuilding aspects are somewhat ignorable if you’re not into it.

I dove into Sons of the Forest headfirst, really enjoyed the exploration aspects of it, but basebuilding is a horrendous chore, and the story seemed entirely disjointed and unfinished, with large parts missing throughout. I know it's early access, but it seems really weird to have the story completable, with achievements for the multiple endings, but be so clearly unfinished. Or if that is the final version of the story, jeez.

After spending like 10-12 hours with the game, I"m unsure if I'll come back later on to play it more. There's clearly missing content, and a lot of QoL features, or a bunch of building parts from the first game missing still, but I feel having completed what there is of the story, I'm not sure those can pull me back to the game, especially with building being as much of a chore as it is currently.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Lifeglug posted:

I dove into Sons of the Forest headfirst, really enjoyed the exploration aspects of it, but basebuilding is a horrendous chore, and the story seemed entirely disjointed and unfinished, with large parts missing throughout. I know it's early access, but it seems really weird to have the story completable, with achievements for the multiple endings, but be so clearly unfinished. Or if that is the final version of the story, jeez.

After spending like 10-12 hours with the game, I"m unsure if I'll come back later on to play it more. There's clearly missing content, and a lot of QoL features, or a bunch of building parts from the first game missing still, but I feel having completed what there is of the story, I'm not sure those can pull me back to the game, especially with building being as much of a chore as it is currently.

Basebuilding also seems rather pointless, since you can’t really defend it over time.
The cave-exploring and atmosphere is fantastic though, feel like I’m getting my money’s worth. Will probably play through once and then return once it’s out of early access.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

ElectricWizard posted:

Basebuilding also seems rather pointless, since you can’t really defend it over time.
The cave-exploring and atmosphere is fantastic though, feel like I’m getting my money’s worth. Will probably play through once and then return once it’s out of early access.

Yeah absolutely. There's a bunch of defence options just not available. On the playthrough I completed I only went as far as to build maybe a floor and a couple of walls before going out exploring. That was kind of the case in The Forest too.,

Getting around the map takes forever also, as you have to basically walk everywhere, which is fine, it's a good immersive experience, but it really dissuades you from returning to your home base. You never really run out of any materials, and I found myself just putting up a tarp shelter at each cave or point of interest I went in to explore to work as my checkpoints.

Gotta say though, playing SotF has got me back playing The Forest now too as I never really gave it an exhaustive playthrough, but there's a whole bunch of stuff that's better this time around, but there's really some glaring omissions too (please re-add hotkeys i'm begging you Endnight)

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Janky and unfinished, so just like The Forest! Like father like son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
I could never get anywhere in The Forest and was told I was building too good a shelter and it was causing the enemy to attack more often and in numbers. But these were small shelters, just like a small cabin, a firepit and a rabbit hutch. I had freaks attacking in the middle of the night with headlamps on keeping me awake. Eventually I said gently caress this and gave up. That's my The Forest experience.