Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

switch version unlocked at midnight so I got to play thru Osvald's first grim chapter. gosh I love how the boss sprites are so huge and crazy, great how now they have animations for a lot of attacks.

Starting with Temenos and Osvald is gonna be interesting but after this I def will have to make a beeline for Ochette to get some fighters in my team. Had Therion as my Prime Guy last game so I'll save the thief for last this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I played the original in english but Alucard v Dio will force me to play in japanese.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Ventana posted:

Besides any pending OT2 characters (who are likely coming in), is there anything actually contradictory? The small snippets of story I read about CotC sounded like it added stuff in new directions but nothing that outright was wrong with OT1 canon. I say this knowing very very little of the mobile game's content.

Well, all 8 characters join your band, so they adventure and travel together, despite never having met before in OT. Therion doesn't even have his whole, "I work alone" thing. Also, Heathecoat joins you, too.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I was torn between choosing Agnea and Throne for my starting character and I ended up going with Agnea. I killed a giant boar and don't regret it one bit.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Pressing F5 until greenmangaming gets my key.

The price I pay for a 22% deal.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Always be fighting at night with Throne and Temenos. Those bonuses combined are so strong. I just restarted a boss fight because I forgot to change back to night for the sweet 3 turns all party bonuses and enemy debuff.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Does this game have the thing where your first character choice locks them into your party like in OT1?

I know eventually you could switch them out, but I vaguely remember picking someone I wasn’t that into and then having them stuck there basically the whole rest of the time I played.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Yup, whoever you pick first is stuck in your party until you clear their main story.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Who should I start with as an Ophilia fan?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rosalie_A posted:

Castti

DNE
Nov 24, 2007

Rosalie_A posted:

Why did you like her? Castti seems to fit a similar tonal niche of "kind, thoughtful, vaguely melancholy", so she might be a good choice. The priest in this game, Temenos, is fun, too.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Hrm. Well now I guess I’ll have to look over all the characters and see who feels like the best fit for a roughly permanent party member.

I think last time I picked like Hannit or someone? I just remember it being fine, but there were characters I liked more that did more damage/support

GrimSqueaker
Sep 26, 2011
He's not my starter, but I can say that Partitio's opening chapter and all the music associated with it sure can Hoot and Holler.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

As an Olberic fan, I went with Hikari.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Saxophone posted:

Hrm. Well now I guess I’ll have to look over all the characters and see who feels like the best fit for a roughly permanent party member.

I think last time I picked like Hannit or someone? I just remember it being fine, but there were characters I liked more that did more damage/support

Castti or Ochette are probably the best choices with Hikari a close second. Nobody is really bad.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Therion main in the first, Osvald in OT2. Picked up 6 out of 8 of the characters while playing the demo so I need to get the last 2 tonight after work while trying to ignore the siren song of diving into late game areas/towns and robbing them blind like in the first game. :v:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
OT2 finally out on Steam.

Skipped the demo this time, excited to give this a go!

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Aw my demo progress got wiped :( ah well, basically just played Osvald's bit so not too much to redo. Enjoyed it so far, excited to hang out with all the other nerds too.

vv well that explains that

woke kaczynski fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 24, 2023

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013
For those who played the demo on Steam Deck make sure you have the save file backed up before you install the actual game or you will lose it

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I decided to go with Castii since I guess I like going with Apothecaries, and...drat, it really is OT1 but with a lot more polish to it. More dynamic cutscenes, more fantastic music, battles are much more cinematic, and so far Castii's story seems pretty compelling.

Her boss also was pretty neat in that one of the creatures literally ate the other once its health got low, which is cool for how hosed-up those creatures were.

Can't wait for another 80ish hours of this game. Gonna at least aim to get the cast together before the weekend's done. Fortunately it looks like I'm right next to Partitio, so I know who I'm recruiting first!

e: Also playing at 4k120fps certainly helps!

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 24, 2023

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

In case anyone was wondering, OT2 saves are fully cross-saveable between Switch and PC (assuming you have direct access to your switch saves through USB/homebrew)

PC location:
\Documents\My Games\Octopath_Traveler2\Steam\[your_steam_id]\SaveGames\

SystemData.sav - keeps save file list structure along with game settings. PC display/graphics settings are surprisingly stored elsewhere
SaveData0.sav - autosave slot
SaveData1.sav
SaveData2.sav
etc.

Rename the switch saves from "MJSaveData1" (no extension) to "SaveData1.sav" (with .sav) and so on

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Didn't really love the first but the second is drawing me in. Not entirely sure what the difference is but whatever. I only have two party members but they call each other out in battle which is a nice touch.

Can someone tell me how certain skills work? I learned Pilfer with Hikari which says it steals 20% of the damage inflicted but I'm noticing the money obtained is much lower. Is it a range of money that can be stolen or am I missing something?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Levantine posted:

Didn't really love the first but the second is drawing me in. Not entirely sure what the difference is but whatever. I only have two party members but they call each other out in battle which is a nice touch.

Can someone tell me how certain skills work? I learned Pilfer with Hikari which says it steals 20% of the damage inflicted but I'm noticing the money obtained is much lower. Is it a range of money that can be stolen or am I missing something?

I believe monsters have a limit so that you can't just earn infinite money by going to a level 1 place and smashing them for 99999 damage

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Hikari & Ochette's Latent Powers are loving ridiculous. Just massive limit break levels of crazy rear end damage. I'm quite happy I swerved into picking Hikari for my main as a result. Dude is ridiculous.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Hikari & Ochette's Latent Powers are loving ridiculous. Just massive limit break levels of crazy rear end damage. I'm quite happy I swerved into picking Hikari for my main as a result. Dude is ridiculous.

Ochette's second EX skill makes her LP look like chump change.

Summon 3 monsters in one action with boost increasing the number of monsters can be summoned multiple times in one go.

Why yes I love dealing cartoonist amounts of break in a single turn every turn.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
I appreciate them making the 1 on 1 battles better.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I played the demo on steam and would prefer to carry my save over, do I need to do anything in preparation for that or does it just pick it up?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ImpAtom posted:

Ochette's second EX skill makes her LP look like chump change.

Summon 3 monsters in one action with boost increasing the number of monsters can be summoned multiple times in one go.

Why yes I love dealing cartoonist amounts of break in a single turn every turn.

I'm glad the Pokemon Master in OT2 is good because Hannit felt like a chore at times.

Leghold Trap is still around too, and the inventor class has a skill that makes the target act first for several rounds just in case Leghold Trap wasn't enough for you. :getin:

e:

Shyfted One posted:

I appreciate them making the 1 on 1 battles better.

In the demo I was beating 4-star fights with Osvald due to the inventor class, and having bought a 290atk axe in Ochette's village which let him drop 2.5-3k damage on a broken target with full BP usage. Though with Advanced Magic and his Latent Power I'm sure he could easily out do that damage with a decent staff.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 24, 2023

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm glad the Pokemon Master in OT2 is good because Hannit felt like a chore at times.

Leghold Trap is still around too, and the inventor class has a skill that makes the target act first for several rounds just in case Leghold Trap wasn't enough for you. :getin:

Also if you give Agnea that class, I think her latent power might make it so your whole team gets to act first? Not sure if they stack.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hikari, I don't think telling a giant ant to stand aside before battle, is going to work.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I killed one of those cat thingies and gained like 8 levels. Feels good, man.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Okay look

I see Temenos

And I read Tenemos

And then I scream TENEMOS CIERO MIEDO

and I'm happy.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

So was the plan to take the basic personalities of the first game's protagonists and put them in different jobs? Because it feels like Partitio is clearly Merchant Alfyn.

Not that I'm complaining. Got Hikari and Partitio in my party now, and both had pretty solid stories. Also like that this time every character faces their C1 boss solo, or at least that's how it's been so far.

Guess I'll get the Dancer and then sweep the Eastern Continent.

e: Oh yeah holy poo poo Partitio's theme music, god drat.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Feb 25, 2023

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So I need to ask, I liked the first games combat, looks, and music... but that's literally it.

I thought the writing was beyond terrible and it felt like if I didn't have the thief as the lead I'd be missing out on chests- not to mention the true final boss being a huge grindfest and war of attrition

I don't expect anyone to know if that last one was addressed, but hows the writing/plot of this game? Do I still need the token thief/assassin in my party by default?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
There's no thief chests.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Natural 20 posted:

Okay look

I see Temenos

And I read Tenemos

And then I scream TENEMOS CIERO MIEDO

and I'm happy.

Holy poo poo I'm not alone

I've got Temenos and Throné (loving really??) and so far I'm really enjoying how it's basically octopath 1 but more. The limit breaks are a nice touch, and l really enjoy the day/night system. I do hope I come across the shared questlines soon; so far the protags have been on par with the better half of the ones in the first game, and getting to have them actually talk is the biggest thing I'm waiting for to really elevate it.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I can already tell the merchant class is going to have bonkers implications for end game fights

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
I've gone all the way up to the lvl45 chapters with Hikari, Osvald, Temenos, and Throne and only had 1 shared side quests with Throne and Temenos. There isn't that much more intraparty interaction this game.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I don't expect anyone to know if that last one was addressed, but hows the writing/plot of this game?

I'm sure other people can give you a better idea as I've literally only played the first two chapters of one character, but their attempt at telling a gritty revenge story (Osvald) has been utterly laughable so far. Just incredibly tired tropes played completely straight with zero charm or nuance (unless you count the presence of Joji Nakata and Takehito Koyasu as charm, which I suppose would be fair).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Was home sick on release day, so I've managed to get all eight characters, in a bit over 10 hours.

Like many others, I loved the music, look, and combat of the first Octopath Traveler, but found the structure and writing to be lacking. So I was happy to see the prologue chapters in 2 differentiating themselves pretty dramatically in their structure. The writing has been a lot more compelling as well - just more distinct scenarios and colorful supporting characters.

I think as well as being more creative narratively, the devs have also been more creative visually. In the range of locations yes, but more specifically the game's use of camera has been much more cinematic.

Very keen to play more. I feel like the strengths of an anthology structure are much more present here than in the first game, while all the things that worked in the first game have been elevated.