Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

Jeff will announce Alec Effiel is reinstated, but unoriginal name will stay permabanned. This will increase revenue.

agreed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Al! posted:

taintrunner is a pretty memorable name but i dont remember a god dambed thing about him

he was the ur-bernie bro and succ zone main character for a while until the forum found out he was a rapist

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem
All this started because they wouldn't let us say oval office lol

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Al! posted:

taintrunner is a pretty memorable name but i dont remember a god dambed thing about him

he was an insanely aggro poster beyond the power of any of our current contenders (and we have some doozies) whose favorite thing was calling people "austerity rapists" if he suspected them of having at some point approved of some democratic policy

got permabanned for some off site sexual harassment drama

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Al! posted:

if you didnt hate the democrats and liberals and loudly pronounce it in every post he would call you a joe biden supporting rapist

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 64 days!

redneck nazgul posted:

i don't think there's an actual conspiracy. there's no formal arrangement or agreement, just two groups getting loud at each other with no lasting consequences.

the drama crew help point out where the mods are especially fail and the admins give them more leeway than other people. the arrangement mostly works with the occasional ban or 30 day thrown out to keep the storyline going.

if the admins actually hated the drama crew, they'd be perma'd already. they can just do it. maybe find a few drop PMs if they feel like they need to justify something.

all of this makes sense until you consider that many mods and admins are terrified of any kind of conflict or confrontation. they're afraid of most things, in fact.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Cuttlefush posted:

glad i never read this poo poo during the taintrunner times

yeah he seemed like a genuine lunatic

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

croup coughfield posted:

all of this makes sense until you consider that many mods and admins are terrified of any kind of conflict or confrontation. they're afraid of most things, in fact.

i wouldn't wanna do work at my volunteer job either

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Al! posted:

We would run your taint and call you a fuckin lib. Very rude poster, one of the rudest. He was also a rich-wife guy so he absolutely never logged off for anything .

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

i want to say taintrunner wasn't super annoying prior to 2020 but once the tara reade revelations came out, hoo boy

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

croup coughfield posted:

this is why theyre afraid of giving me the buttons, a united cspam is too powerful

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

redneck nazgul posted:

that's my whole point. not everybody attacking plinkey had his best interests in mind or was doing it in good faith--some of them were doing it because lol drama. we can disagree on the percentages all day, but conflating "dude running it like this is going to screw you and the people you want to help, let's make it better" with "this guy's blowing the goon fund on craps and hookers lol" just whitewashes the shitheads and makes the genuine concerns seem less genuine.

it's not actually funnier if plinkey gets in trouble, it's loving terrible for him and the people who need help. the optimal solution would have been "don't let him start the fund without accountability", followed by "try and work with him when the issue was first raised, not after several days of people dragging him and making it clear that a perma was the only resolution".

the problem is that both of those require mods to do their job and welp

I wasn't a mod when Plinkey's goonfund was started (by the time I was a mod the goonfund had already been chugging along for something like a year and a half - in fact I'm not sure any of the current cspam mod team were mods when it was set up) and I was never the one taking point on it (that was usually admins or mods who know Plinkey on some level, which I don't) but I can give a bit of behind-the-scenes perspective on this. Basically the mods and admins knew Plinkey's goonfund was not being run optimally, but also saw that it did seem to be helping people, based on the wide variety of posters who regularly said Plinkey was sending them money to help them with things, often helping them through serious emergencies. On several occasions, mods and admins all the way up to Jeff talked to Plinkey in private urging him to run his fund more transparently and ideally to incorporate as a charity, to protect Plinkey from personal liability, to make the fund less dependent on a single pair of hands, and to make it so that donors could be confident their money was being used appropriately. This was months, if not years, before the QCS blowup. As I remember it Plinkey was receptive to the various ideas and suggestions but never followed through, and we had no way of double-checking anything independently because of the nature of an opaque fund run by a single person and hosted on a different website.

That left us in an awkward position of not wanting to make public accusations or demands and therefore blow up the fund out of suspicion when we had no proof funds were being misused and a fair amount of circumstantial evidence that at least some of the money was materially helping goons as intended, but also not succeeding in repeated attempts to help Plinkey resolve the issues proactively and privately so that the fund could operate with some level of accountability, redundancy, and transparency. Not being able to do either of those things made some kind of bad outcome pretty much inevitable but because only Plinkey could improve the existing goonfund and he didn't do it, we didn't have a way to resolve the issue ourselves - either we'd be fail evil mods stealing food out of the mouths of goons by attacking the fund or we'd be fail evil mods letting goons get scammed by allowing the opaque state of affairs to continue. The actually good third option of talking to Plinkey and trying to resolve the issues before they became a problem was something we did try on multiple occasions.

When the inevitable blowup happened, the high stakes (a lot of real-world money changing hands) and cross-forum nature of discussions starting in PYF, moving to QCS, and then happening in QCS, PYF, and CSPAM simultaneously meant it was generally treated as an admin and Jeff responsibility rather than something that individual subforum mods could resolve, which maybe wasn't the right call when threads and posters were screaming at each other but hindsight is 20/20. I think just about everyone involved would have preferred a different outcome but this is the one we got.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i want to say taintrunner wasn't super annoying prior to 2020 but once the tara reade revelations came out, hoo boy

it wasn't this so much imo as "getting your taint run" becoming a thread meme and like every time a group of people starts gassing up the weirdo who likes to freak out whenever he does, it was never gonna end well lol

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

KirbyKhan posted:

We would run your taint and call you a fuckin lib. Very rude poster, one of the rudest. He was also a rich-wife guy so he absolutely never logged off for anything .

Accused me of being a landlord when I don't even own property I rent a

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Lib and let die posted:

the report that will never be surpassed

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

taintrunner was a ccused of being a landlord was especially funny because someone (spr i think actually) admitted they just made it up for fun

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Dustcat posted:

tbf mods aren't a monolithic group either and the poster groupings all have different mods they love to hate in particular

it's heartwarming that NHD makes everyone uneasy

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

croup coughfield posted:

yeah but this is balanced out by the super hard tough guys who start crying like baby mario when a probe or ban is given out.

it's p good theater when it's not making threads unreadable.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Lib and let die posted:

lmao

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Lib and let die posted:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

nhd is fine if you pretend they're literally the dog from UP

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Raskolnikov38 posted:

nhd is fine if you pretend they're literally the dog from UP

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

I remember i think squizzle posted a taintrunner report where he was crying about being called a landlord right before he was banned. That was a funny post

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

nothing is going to beat NHD wandering into the ukraine thread and becoming shocked that war crimes are a thing that happens during war

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

it's heartwarming that NHD makes everyone uneasy

a generation of irony-poisoned middleaged men not knowing how to react when they get a probe reason that reads like a note for their parents on their Report Card

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Lib and let die posted:

That's the stuff

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 64 days!

Al! posted:

this is why theyre afraid of giving me the buttons, a united cspam is too powerful

once i have the keys to qcs ill get to work installing you as president of cspam

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

it wasn't this so much as "getting your taint run" becoming a thread meme and like every time a group of people starts gassing up the weirdo who likes to freak out whenever he does, it was never gonna end well lol

the funniest part was that he had fanclub who would hoot and holler when he did his thing and when it came out that he was a horrible person, they all just went on pretending like they hadn't just been hype guys for a literal rapist

also was hilarious that someone made up that he was also a landlord, which i don't think anyone ever confirmed, but when people would call him a landlord he would lose his loving mind.

definitely one of those LBJ pigfucker things that, given the poo poo that came out about him, was extra funny in retrospect

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Cuttlefush posted:

fly molo's got fixed before the end

they played with him like a cat with a mouse and then brutally beat him to death with hammers :(

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Raskolnikov38 posted:

nothing is going to beat NHD wandering into the ukraine thread and becoming shocked that war crimes are a thing that happens during war

Always gonna remember the first time Larry encountered NHD and said something like "he freaks me out like my sped teacher in 2nd grade"

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

really queer Christmas posted:

Before bernie lost he wasn't that bad, but I thought he was just a dumb gimmick account. I came back to cspam after the election and he became incredibly awful, unbearably so and people loving loved him. It was so bizarre.

I thought it was funny when he riled people up, same with judakel. People here including me were too epic, and I am glad that is a by gone era.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Mr lowtacks was very nice when I came back and asked him for my old job of janitor. First he was very suspicious but I told him what happened to me then he looked very sad and put his hand on my shoulder and said NHD you got guts.
Everybody looked at me when I came downstairs and started working in the forums probating it like I used to. I told myself NHD they make fun of you dont get sore because you remember their not so smart as you once thot they were. And besides they were once your friends and if they laughed at you that doesnt mean anything because they liked you too.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

on an unrelated note, i hope azathoth saved a copy of the sexpig PMs

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

KirbyKhan posted:

these rich-wife guy posters sure seem like an issue maybe

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

redneck nazgul posted:

on an unrelated note, i hope azathoth saved a copy of the sexpig PMs

it rules that i dont have to give a poo poo about that stuff anymore

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Azathoth posted:

the funniest part was that he had fanclub who would hoot and holler when he did his thing and when it came out that he was a horrible person, they all just went on pretending like they hadn't just been hype guys for a literal rapist

also was hilarious that someone made up that he was also a landlord, which i don't think anyone ever confirmed, but when people would call him a landlord he would lose his loving mind.

definitely one of those LBJ pigfucker things that, given the poo poo that came out about him, was extra funny in retrospect

there are like 1-2 goons left who still will say poo poo like "free taintrunner" despite knowing that he is a rapist

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Lib and let die posted:

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

KirbyKhan posted:

Always gonna remember the first time Larry encountered NHD and said something like "he freaks me out like my sped teacher in 2nd grade"

it was a little subtler than that, larry said something to the effect of "he talks like my teacher used to" while being (AFAIK) unaware that NHD is in fact a special education teacher

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Azathoth posted:

happy for ya hoss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Azathoth posted:

Post them!