Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

myapartmentduringmarchmadness.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1629173014662111234

at least it's free and they have free legal streams :shrug:

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

soggybagel posted:

And on smart tv's with their built in apps on incredibly underpowered systems so you have glacial speed switching between the built in Peacock app and some other app on the tv...the user experience does suck rear end.

i.e. Why I prefer using my PS5 for streaming even though it’s insanely overpowered for the job

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

more rsn drama

https://twitter.com/ourand_sbj/status/1629243372241141760?s=46&t=78Uix2biZ6IiQYRdm28BAg
https://twitter.com/ourand_sbj/status/1629248303601688577?s=46&t=78Uix2biZ6IiQYRdm28BAg

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I may just cream myself if sports somehow come back to OTA channels because no one on cable wants to touch them anymore. More likely they end up on streaming channels, but even they are having money issues.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There are absolutely companies interested in paying, but it's definitely a problem that WBD (which owns TBS/TNT, etc) is trying to cut everything because they massively overpaid for the Warner Bros. portfolio. It's giving streaming platforms at least a chance to take over more live sports.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

If the pirates aren't on TV, would anyone notice?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I really really hope this is true

https://radaronline.com/p/tom-brady-new-job-retired-nfl-gisele-winning-her-back-divorce-tampa-bay/

quote:

Tom Brady To Chase Stand-Up Comedy Dream After Delaying Fox Sports Gig: Sources

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I wouldn't buy that with someone else's money but goddamn the image of him bombing on stage at local chuckle hut open mic nights in an attempt to win Gisele back is hysterical

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

This will make the standup scene in Joker look like a raging success

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
There is absolutely positively no universe in existence that Tom Brady going into stand up comedy makes any sense especially if it's to save his marriage since that train has long left the station.

That said, it should absolutely be a double act with Gronk.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Tom Brady: So I'm dating again......what else what else....

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Gronk would be a top tier hype man

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Dr_Strangelove posted:

This will make the standup scene in Joker look like a raging success

It will end the same way with a baffling scene where Tom says his jokes are just to raunchy for the proles

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Gronk would be a top tier hype man
Brady & Gronk comedy duo like Abbott & Costello with Brady playing the straight man role.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Island Nation posted:

That said, it should absolutely be a double act with Gronk.

Brady and Gronk as a manzai duo, with Tom being the straight man and Gronk the dummy, would probably work, but I am counting out Touchdown Tom from having the timing and the icy zingers needed for the job.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I saw Blake Griffin do stand-up in Montreal so as an expert in these things

Lmao

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
My name is Tom and I'm here to say, I love throwing the football in a major way.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

What's the deal with football??

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

these jokes are almost as good as tom brady's will be

keep it going

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Lmao

Blake doing comedy stuff in LA was painful

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
How many of yall like sacks?!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Lmao
Woof.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
I bet Tom will come out with a nice, tight, efficient 15 jokes, but when he has to go off Belichick's script and create something on his own he's going to throw it to the crowd.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Oh man I found the show he was doing in Montreal.

The caption is wrong it is not funny!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjGEgRvwomQ

(the show was good overall since real standups were there and it was at midnight so I was drunk and probably laughed)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

crossposting from the golf thread, basically nobody is watching the Saudi blood money golf tour on CW:

https://twitter.com/SportsTVRatings/status/1630585244716789761

Awful Announcing posted:

Of course, some of that is about carriage. The eight CBS-owned CW affiliates all chose not to air LIV Golf this weekend, as did several other affiliates. So with markets including Chicago, Philadelphia, and Atlanta not airing the event, that’s a lot of potential viewers lost. But even with that in mind, the viewership numbers here follow the pattern set by those low overnights, and they’re certainly not promising for LIV Golf. They’re below most of the sports that aired anywhere this weekend, including Golf Channel early-day Honda Classic coverage Saturday and Sunday (555,000 and 631,000 viewers respectively), two XFL games, five different women’s college basketball games (and 32 men’s college basketball games), and every soccer match except a Friday Premier League one. So that’s not exactly a great result for them.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

That would imply that the CW does marketing for anything they show in an attempt to get people to watch the things they put on the air.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

That would imply that the CW does marketing for anything they show in an attempt to get people to watch the things they put on the air.

it hasn't been confirmed but it's almost universally agreed that CW didn't pay anything for the rights so they probably don't have much reason to care.

AA posted:

The financial side here remains somewhat in question. Bloomberg’s Gerry Smith wrote that the sides “will share advertising revenue,” but there aren’t any details on that split. That’s an unusual deal in sports, where most deals see networks pay a straight rights fee and then reap advertising rewards themselves. But there are many unusual elements with LIV Golf.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Spoeank posted:

How many of yall like sacks?!

A cup check and a sandy jar

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

DJExile posted:

it hasn't been confirmed but it's almost universally agreed that CW didn't pay anything for the rights so they probably don't have much reason to care.

yeah finanially LIV is in a really weird spot since it's not designed as a for-profit sports venture; it's a vehicle to launder the reputation of saudi arabia so they don't really care about budget

what a weird time to be alive

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

This might be the most James Dolan thing I've seen in a long goddamn time

https://twitter.com/JacobFeldman4/status/1630927874793275394

https://twitter.com/JacobFeldman4/status/1630953502083096578

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

eh, nesn charges $30/month too for their streaming service

the pay per game option is a new one, though

i'd laugh half to death over who buys it when it's not hockey/basketball season

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Honestly I think that's a huge issue for these hypothetical RSN replacement streaming service things. They not only got carriage fees from your mom who never watched they got revenue for the summer or the winter respectively when none of their really expensive programming was on.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Vertical Lime posted:

eh, nesn charges $30/month too for their streaming service

the pay per game option is a new one, though

i'd laugh half to death over who buys it when it's not hockey/basketball season

Sounds great if you’re a fan of the knicks (lol) and a hockey team. But I think I’ll just stick to the october-April plan and save $100.

The smart move is just make it $210 so you don’t have to worry about losing customers that don’t sign up in the fall after cancelling in April.

The American Dream fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 1, 2023

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I think that price per game is too much. But I actually think charging for single games is a really good idea. But make it $5-6 or so to make it a really easy impulse buy.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
NBA sells its games for $3.99 if I remember right although of course, blackout rules apply.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

10 a game is just enough to make some people blink

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
I figure $3-$5 a game is fair. Like Knicks vs OKC on a Tuesday is $3. Knicks vs Celtics is $5.

I suspect the $10 a game is for gamblers and fans of the other team. Any fan of those teams is just going to pay $30 a month. If you put $400 on a game watching it for $10 is pretty insignificant.

And the price is probably based on NYC. $10 will get you one decent beer and a tip at a bar. In upstate it’ll get you 2-3 domestics or 2 lower end craft beers. So at that point I’d just go to a bar most of the time and maybe find a couple people to talk with during the game.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

They don't people to pay 10 dollars a game, they want them to pay for the month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Declan MacManus posted:

10 a game is just enough to make some people blink

That's essentially the tactic for NFHS Network, which is getting pretty big at high schools. They really hype it up for playoff games. $10 gets you a full month, but their sales tactic is for that single game that's too far for everyday travel. Almost all of is is a camera following a ball at a stadium/gym without commentary. Their technology for following the ball is shockingly pretty good.