Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

New Party Down is hilarious

been hesitant because these people still doing that job 20 years later seems like the saddest drat thing in the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Langoliers is pretty awful but it's a miniseries not a movie and also if you adjust your expectations it's easily better than Cell and the Sequels Of The Corn.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Edward Mass posted:

I loved the Langoliers mini-series when I was 7. That’s all I’ll say.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Graveyard Shift is a contender, as far as I can tell it's the only movie he was involved in with a 0% score on rottentomatoes.

Depending on how far you stretch the idea of Stephen King being involved Lawnmower Man 2 is also a strong contender.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Shageletic posted:

You're thinking of Langoliers.

I highly suggest people check out some scenes of that poo poo on youtube its hilarious

Yeah but it's enjoyable for parts like that
Cell looks like a early 2000 movie and it's from 2016

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Baron von Eevl posted:

Graveyard Shift is a contender, as far as I can tell it's the only movie he was involved in with a 0% score on rottentomatoes.

Depending on how far you stretch the idea of Stephen King being involved Lawnmower Man 2 is also a strong contender.

He disowned 1 but not 2? I'll have to see it

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Watched We Have A Ghost and it's definitely got that Made-for-Netflix vibe, but David Harbour was loads of fun in it, I thought, and the movie's made well enough that the heartwarming moments didn't fall flat for me.

If you're not sold on it: it's got a cop getting kicked in the nuts, then getting flipped off by a ghost in the backseat of a car speeding away.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I don't think they even put his name on it, but it was a sequel to movie that was produced using a license to a Stephen King story that had nothing to do with the movie. Huge stretch.

Going by imdb scores, the worst thing is an episode of the view he was on. After that is a short based on The Stationary Bike, probably one of his dollar babies. The lowest scored feature is the mangler 3, which is technically a sequel to a real deal Stephen King movie and has a "special thanks" to King. Lowest scoring actual adaptation is The Devil's Gift from 1984, which apparently adapts The Monkey and King actually has a writing credit.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
No way is Graveyard Shift the worst. It’s got Brad Dourif and a giant monster

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Graveyard Shift has one of the best Maine accents ever committed to screen. It goes so hard they made it into a song and played it over the closing credits.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Baron von Eevl posted:

I don't think they even put his name on it, but it was a sequel to movie that was produced using a license to a Stephen King story that had nothing to do with the movie. Huge stretch.

Going by imdb scores, the worst thing is an episode of the view he was on. After that is a short based on The Stationary Bike, probably one of his dollar babies. The lowest scored feature is the mangler 3, which is technically a sequel to a real deal Stephen King movie and has a "special thanks" to King. Lowest scoring actual adaptation is The Devil's Gift from 1984, which apparently adapts The Monkey and King actually has a writing credit.

Is The Stationary Bike about exactly what I'd think a Stephen King story called that would be about?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Stationary Bike is a cute story, and feels like one of the more uplifting Twilight Zone episodes.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Honestly the last short story collection of his I read was Nightmares and Dreamscapes, but it certainly sounds like someone making a joke about Stephen King stories.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Flying Zamboni posted:

It's such a weird role for him.

Freeman's delivery of this line (1m30s if the timestamp doesn't work) has stuck with me for years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNlPCjYn4-k&t=90s

I've never seen Dreamcatcher but I love the only other things I know about it is the guy from Homeland gets possessed, ita about friends meeting up in a cabin, there's apparently a literal war crime against poorly rendered waving aliens, and some sort of poo poo weasel goes up or out of Jason Lee's rear end.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
and their developmentally challenged friend that happens to be a good alien that's been hanging around for decades for the bad alien to show up and kick it's rear end.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I saw Dreamcatcher in the theater because a matrix cgi short played before it lol

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Nuts and Gum posted:

I saw Dreamcatcher in the theater because a matrix cgi short played before it lol

Yup! :hfive:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Watching Tár. I’m loving the setup so far

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
Top Gun: Maverick is just LotR if they decided to fly the eagles to Mount Doom instead of walking.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I watched half of Top Gun Maverick last night and was stunned at how bad it was, compared to how much hype it got. I understand going for the intentional 80s movie thing, but it's so obviously on the nose that it plays like parody, except a parody that isn't funny or new in any way. The jets are cool but even the editing there is so frenetic that it feels like trying to catch a glimpse of a plane with 20 obstructions in the way. I'm gonna finish it but so far it's a big yikes.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Rental Sting posted:

Late reply but apparently its not even product placement, as in they aren't getting paid to feature those brands of beer. Rian Johnson just wanted to use real stuff.

I guess I prefer diegetic coke too, but stuff like the Fiji Water taking a non-speaking role in Bullet Train and so forth is getting a little out of hand.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Papercut posted:

I watched half of Top Gun Maverick last night and was stunned at how bad it was, compared to how much hype it got. I understand going for the intentional 80s movie thing, but it's so obviously on the nose that it plays like parody, except a parody that isn't funny or new in any way. The jets are cool but even the editing there is so frenetic that it feels like trying to catch a glimpse of a plane with 20 obstructions in the way. I'm gonna finish it but so far it's a big yikes.

Some movies should only be seen in theaters

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Dreamcatcher was an okay story that would be pretty difficult to adapt, if done well. So they just half-assed that poo poo and it looks ridiculous all around. The poo poo weasels aren't even the worst effect in that movie.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Sharper on AppleTV+ opens like an homage to "If Beale Street Could Talk," then pivots hard into a pretty banging "who's conning who" adult drama with a gorgeous sheen of "80s cocaine sleaze," including neon elevators.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Wolfsheim posted:

Some movies should only be seen in theaters

That final dogfight was sick though lol

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezHiQwwzEjU

Watched this last night on Peacock. Really fun movie. Toby Huss steals the show as a completely insane hitman. Gerard Butler and Frank Grillo really have fun playing off each other. And the lead actress, Alexis Louder (The Tomorrow War, The Terminal List, HBO’s Watchmen) did a great job. Joe Carnahan directed it; which explains why it feels a little like Smokin’ Aces in a police station.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
M3gan on Peacock was surprisingly good if you liked Malignant and the kind of farcical tone it had

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

M3gan on Peacock was surprisingly good if you liked Malignant and the kind of farcical tone it had

gently caress yeah I know what I'm doing this weekend

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
yeah M3gan was great. I watched the regular cut, not sure if the unrated one is an improvement or not.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Wolfsheim posted:

Aww, I wish I agreed. I loved how goofy Malignant was but thought M3GAN didn't do anything memorable except for the dancing scene that was in the marketing. I thought I'd be into it but found it really bland and boring.

Edit: Don't take my word for it though, it seems like most people have enjoyed it. It just didn't do anything for me.

Jolo fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 25, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Jolo posted:

Aww, I wish I agreed. I loved how goofy Malignant was but thought M3GAN didn't do anything memorable except for the dancing scene that was in the marketing. I thought I'd be into it but found it really bland and boring.

Edit: Don't take my word for it though, it seems like most people have enjoyed it. It just didn't do anything for me.

Same imo. Not nearly as fun as Malignant for me.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
How can a horror movie that starts with a Cinco commercial go wrong?? I'm in, it can't be worse than the last season of black mirror

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I liked M3gan but his last movie Housebound was so much better.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Community on Netflix/Hulu is my white noise show right, and

e also it's watchable for the duration, although they move Abed from being on the spectrum somewhere to just being a zany baby and have a little trouble justifying everyone staying at a community college so long.

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 25, 2023

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
We Have a Ghost feels like they had at least 5 different scripts of different genres at the beginning and decided to do all of them at once. The genre jumps are sometimes downright bizarre.

Not a good film but an entertaining watch. David Harbour is surprisingly good in it.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Inspector Hound posted:

Community on Netflix/Hulu is my white noise show right, and

I'm not saying what he did was right but when he was in charge of Subway the foot longs cost 5 dollars not 17!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Captain Jesus posted:

We Have a Ghost feels like they had at least 5 different scripts of different genres at the beginning and decided to do all of them at once. The genre jumps are sometimes downright bizarre.

Not a good film but an entertaining watch. David Harbour is surprisingly good in it.

Yeah I wanted to like it but overall it was very meh.

I especially liked when we got to the climax and I realized there was still 50 minutes left

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

1glitch0 posted:

I'm not saying what he did was right but when he was in charge of Subway the foot longs cost 5 dollars not 17!

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Turned out that subway black card was good for 15 years 8 months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Welp looks like im getting peacock to watch megan