Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Well they snagged me when he receives contingency butthole chat if the vagina is incapable. How does a vagina become incapable? How will talking to the butthole help? The answer isn't surprising but is satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

zedprime posted:

Well they snagged me when he receives contingency butthole chat if the vagina is incapable. How does a vagina become incapable? How will talking to the butthole help? The answer might surprise you!

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

barbecue at the folks posted:

Sorry for posting just a twitter link, I think it fits the thread to a t (to a c?), though:

https://twitter.com/vagina_museum/status/1628403345198022656?s=20

I loving hate twitter. Just publish a loving blog or something for fucks sake.

quote:

If a medieval French vagina could speak, what would it say?

We actually have the answer to this. Allow us to tell you the tale of The Knight Who Could Make Cunts Speak.

"Le Chevalier qui fist parler les cons" is a fabliau (a usually-bawdy story in verse written by jongleurs to entertain) It was written by an author called Garin, included in manuscripts dating to around 1340.

The story starts with an unnamed knight and his squire, Huet. The knight has fallen on hard times, and sold or pawned his possessions, including his armour, cloak and weapons. The knight wants to compete in a tournament to earn money: Huet reminds him he doesn't have any weapons.

Huet, being the brains of the operation, comes up with a scheme to secure the money to get the knight's weapons out of pawn: he sees three beautiful women bathing in a fountain and steals their clothes with the intention of selling them.

The knight is Not Happy with this plan. He insists that the clothes are given back to these women, and gives his squire a dressing down in front of the women. The women turn out to be fairies in disguise.

In gratitude, the three fairies bestow gifts upon the knight to help him achieve riches.

The first fairy gives him the gift of always being enthusiastically welcomed wherever he goes, a fairly normal and immediately obviously useful gift.

The second fairy gives him the gift that if he speaks directly to a vagina, the vagina will be compelled to speak back.

The third fairy adds to the second fairy's gift: if a vagina is in some way incapacitated and unable to speak, the person's anus will be able to talk to him.

You probably think the second and third gifts bestowed upon the knight by the fairies are a little weird. Readers, so did the knight. He was both embarrassed and baffled by being granted the gift of being a Doctor Doolittle of orifices.

The knight goes to a village and he receives an ecstatic welcome. He meets a rich priest who invites the knight and squire to stay with him. As the first gift has been shown to be true, he decides to try out his ability to talk to cunts, and speaks to the priest's mare's vagina.

The mare's vagina immediately begins singing like a canary. It tells the knight that the priest is carrying a large sum of money that he's going to spend on a nice dress to give to his mistress.
The horse vagina speaks audibly. This frightens the priest, who runs away as fast as he can, dropping his cloak and money as he goes. Our knight now has a cloak and some money, thanks to the second gift.

The knight and squire now approach a castle. Once again, they receive a very warm welcome. Everyone runs up and is hugging him. The count himself gives the knight a great big kiss on the mouth. The countess isn't quite so full-on... but she is horny for the knight.

The lady of the house is eager to have a go on the knight, but knows this isn't tenable as a married woman, so she decides to send a maid along to give him a go instead.
The knight is somewhat startled by a naked woman turning up in his bed in the middle of the night. However, after about ten seconds they start making out and things begin to get sexual.
At this point, the knight talks to the maid's vagina to ask what it thinks about the situation. The vagina says they were sent there by the lady of the house.

The maid reacts like any reasonable human whose pussy has just piped up and began telling everyone her business: she freaks the hell out, leaps up out of that bed and runs away.
The countess is now utterly intrigued by the knight after hearing that he made a woman's vagina speak. But she decides her vagina is a much better class of vagina and wouldn't just start chatting with a knight.
The countess makes a wager with him: she'll give him £40 if he can make her vagina speak, and if he can't, he must give her his horse and armour.

In order to stack the odds in her favour, the countess goes away to prepare. She takes cotton and shoves it into her vagina. The story is specific that she puts at least a pound of cotton inside herself, and that she rams it in with her fist.
Thus stuffed, she returns to the knight and bids him to do his worst.

The knight asks the countess's vagina where she'd just gone, and the vagina cannot answer on account of having half a kilo of fabric in it. Whatever the knight tries, that pussy was just not talking.

He starts to panic, until Huet reminds the knight of his third gift - the Chekhov's talking butthole, hanging on the wall since the first act.

The knight asks the countess's anus why her vagina is being so cagey, and her arsehole honestly answers explaining what the countess had done. Everyone in the room watching (did we mention the entire castle has assembled to watch this?) knows that the countess cheated.

The count orders her to unstuff her pussy, and when she does, the knight makes her vagina account for why it was quiet earlier. It corroborates the butthole's account.

And so the story has a happy ending. The knight wins the money in the wager, and he can now go off and do the tournaments... and wherever he goes, he receives a warm welcome.

You can read the poem "The Knight Who Could Make Cunts Speak" here in its entirety. http://oocities.org/paris/5339/voices.html

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Brawnfire posted:

Four and four, but four point down and four up and they're constantly rotating

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjTjerSd4IA

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

AFewBricksShy posted:

I loving hate twitter. Just publish a loving blog or something for fucks sake.

interesting that the oval office is male-gendered:

quote:

and said: "Sir oval office, now speak to me!
I would know how your mistress came by my side."

con in French is grammatically male (also cunnus in latin), but generally i dont think would mean the referent itself was thought of as male

eg my faroese grandpa referred to all cats as "he" because they are grammatically male in Faroese, but he was clearly aware that some were female (ie "when is he due" for a pregnant molly)

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 19:11 on Feb 24, 2023

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Carthag Tuek posted:

eg my faroese grandpa referred to all cats as "he" because they are grammatically male in Faroese, but he was clearly aware that some were female (ie "when is he due" for a pregnant molly)

I love that, since somehow cats have become entirely female now at least in the US, and dogs male. I've watched a grown rear end woman scratch a pregnant dog and then ask what his name is.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Aren't those the pregnant men that Fucker Carlson rants about?

E: Please don't share my rule34 search history, tia.

Marcade has a new favorite as of 19:29 on Feb 24, 2023

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

jus thad an intrusive thought that i am forced to share: pregnant catboys

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Carthag Tuek posted:

jus thad an intrusive thought that i am forced to share: pregnant catboys

It costs you nothing to not post

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Arrath posted:

It costs you nothing to not post

i paid ten bucks im gonna get my moneys worth

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

Offler posted:

One last Agatha Christie fun fact.

Christie invented a character that was a very thinly veiled self-insert that appeared in a few of her stories - Ariadne Oliver, a famous writer of mystery novels starring a foreign detective. This character was mostly there to poke fun at both herself and the kinds of readers who took her books too seriously. She was mostly used to say things like that of course she knows that real life murders are very different from murders in her novels. The fun fact comes in Cards on the Table, a book from 1936, when she explains why the murderers in her books almost never used guns. Here Ariadne explains that any time she included a gun in one of her stories and got some terminology slightly wrong she would be absolutely flooded by mail from readers complaining about it, so it was much easier to just stick to knives and poison. So already in the 1930s, gun nerds were already so insufferable that the most successful crime writer of all time did her best to avoid writing about guns just to avoid getting mail from them.

The proper term to use here is "firearm" NOT gun. "Gun" encompasses weapons like mortars and artillery pieces that Agatha Christie did not have characters murder people with. By using 'gun' you are misrepresenting the works of Agatha Christie to the public and promoting ignorance of firearms. In the future, you need to educate yourself and do better.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Allegedly "gun" is derived from Domina Gunhilda, a ballista in Windsor castle, which was in the 14th century when guns first rose to prominence in the Anglosphere probably the biggest thing that shoots other things that people would've been familiar with.

This is fitting because Gunhilda is an Anglicisation of the Old Norse name Gunnhildr which essentially means war-battle or even battle-battle.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Dopilsya posted:

The proper term to use here is "firearm" NOT gun. "Gun" encompasses weapons like mortars and artillery pieces that Agatha Christie did not have characters murder people with. By using 'gun' you are misrepresenting the works of Agatha Christie to the public and promoting ignorance of firearms. In the future, you need to educate yourself and do better.

hmm, no.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Carthag Tuek posted:

interesting that the oval office is male-gendered:

con in French is grammatically male (also cunnus in latin), but generally i dont think would mean the referent itself was thought of as male

Maybe he thought that cats worked like seahorses.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

FreudianSlippers posted:

Allegedly "gun" is derived from Domina Gunhilda, a ballista in Windsor castle, which was in the 14th century when guns first rose to prominence in the Anglosphere probably the biggest thing that shoots other things that people would've been familiar with.

This is fitting because Gunhilda is an Anglicisation of the Old Norse name Gunnhildr which essentially means war-battle or even battle-battle.

etymologically, Gunnhildr is closer to war-fight or battle-war

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Platystemon posted:

Maybe he thought that cats worked like seahorses.

tbh i dont think seahorses were in his awareness at any time. as a teen he did some months long fishing trips off the coast of greenland and he never went to sea after ~1930 or so. he didnt even care for jacques cousteau

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's pretty common for people especially of older generations to not really be too bothered with the individual sex of an animal when addressing them. There's some irony there. Also gets amusing with animals like birds and lizards where it can actually genuinely get pretty hard to tell until there's some clear evidence like laying eggs. (and even then, see the PI birb thread title it had about gender non conforming birbs)

I think Pratchett wrote about how to an old fashioned country man, all hares are 'she'. (or maybe the other way around, my memory sucks)

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Dopilsya posted:

It's only a "gun" if it comes from the Guntur area in India, otherwise it's just sparkling weapons

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

RedSnapper posted:

It's only a "gun" if it comes from the Guntur area in India, otherwise it's just sparkling weapons

Gunjabi

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Goddamnit.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s only a pun if it’s from the Indian state of Punjab.

Otherwise, it’s sparking wordplay.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Dopilsya posted:

The proper term to use here is "firearm" NOT gun. "Gun" encompasses weapons like mortars and artillery pieces that Agatha Christie did not have characters murder people with.

So I'll take that you didn't read Hercules Poirot, The Battle of Somme?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Somme Like It Shot

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

Somme Like It Shot

drat

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_ByK-tNdzY

I’m going to tell you a little story about the glory days of state sponsored ostrich theft.

When the Titanic sank in 1912, the most valuable cargo on board was a shipment of feathers that was insured for $2.3 million in today’s money because in 1912 only diamonds were worth more by weight than feathers. And the reason for this was the hat craze. Everyone needed hats with feathers on them, and they needed to be super big and fluffy, and sometimes people would have entire birds on their hats.

The feather trade was extremely profitable, and South Africa was the ostrich farming capital of the world. Feathers were its fourth largest export behind gold and diamonds, and ostrich feathers were the most profitable because they were the most fluffy. The town of Oudtshoorn was the epicenter of this.

A group of Lithuanian Jews who were fleeing Tsarist rule had ended up in this weird town in the middle of the desert and started Ostrich farming very successfully. The town is still full of feather mansions that were built with Ostrich profits.

There was a problem, namely that the Americans had gotten into Ostrich farming as well. The South Africans knew that if they needed to compete, they needed an edge. They thought that that edge would be the legendary Barbary ostrich.

Barbary ostrich plumes were what they called double floss, which meant that they were twice as fluffy and, therefore, twice as profitable. Some Barbary ostriches had been imported into South Africa decades before, but no one was really sure where they had come from.

The South African government decided to fund an expedition to go and look for the Barbary ostrich and bring them back alive and breed up the stock. Who else did they get to head this expedition but agriculture professors, of course, very natural.

They had a hot tip that the birds had come from Nigeria. They send the expedition off to Nigeria and they hire about a hundred local guys to carry all of their stuff. And you just know that these guys spent the rest of the expedition just going, “Uh, White people.”

They set up next to a major feather trading route. There was a local tradition of plucking the ostriches bald, so that was weird. They set up next to the trading routes and they’re looking for these Barbary ostrich feathers, and they finally find some. They come from over the border in French military territory.

They go to the French and they ask if they can take some ostriches and the French say,“No.” They cable South Africa and they’re like, “Well, what do we do now? Can we liberate some ostriches?”

The thing about South Africa is it’s only been a real country for like a year at this point, and they don’t need trouble with France. They hem and haw for a couple of months and they finally cable back and they’re like, “OK, you can liberate some ostriches, but if you get caught, we never heard of you.”

Now there’s a problem. The delay means that the Americans have found out about this expedition and now they’re following the South Africans, trying to buy the same fancy ostriches. The Americans start buying up “junk” ostrich feathers, trying to trick the Americans into getting the wrong birds. [Ed. note: Transcript is accurate, but one of these “Americans” must be “South Africans”.]

Now they’re being chased by French officials, American spies and the Tuareg raiders that keep attacking them. They manage to acquire 156 live ostriches. Then they realize that they now have to get these very large, angry birds back across the Sahara Desert.

They build these pens out of sticks and, basically, frog march these ostriches like 800 miles back to Lagos, so it’s fine. Then they only have to do is get the birds onto the ship. The thing about the ostriches is that they’re not good sailors.

In rough seas, they can flip upside down in their pens with their legs waving in the air. If they stay like that, they can die. On the way back, everyone’s on 24-hour call, listening for the sound of upside down ostriches in distress.

They make it back, and it’s awesome because they did it and they’re going to be feather millionaires. Like a year or two after they get back, the entire feather industry collapses, like completely. There’s a couple of reasons for this and one of them is the Model-T because you cannot wear this big, silly hat in an open top convertible. It really doesn’t work.

Fashions started to change. Then the second nail in the coffin of the feather industry was World War I. Not only is everyone suddenly in mourning and not inclined to wear silly hats, but women are taking jobs as nurses and ambulance drivers and postal workers, and they need practical, no nonsense clothing that lets them get their jobs done.

The moral of the story is don’t underestimate the effect of women on capitalism. As the feather boom collapsed, all it left behind it was a legacy of ridiculous photos and one very nearly forgotten story.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
nvm

Wipfmetz has a new favorite as of 14:46 on Mar 1, 2023

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Okay these are actually pretty great, they need to make a comeback

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Platystemon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_ByK-tNdzY

The moral of the story is don’t underestimate the effect of women on capitalism. As the feather boom collapsed, all it left behind it was a legacy of ridiculous photos and one very nearly forgotten story.
Fantastic post; thank you.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

II think Pratchett wrote about how to an old fashioned country man, all hares are 'she'. (or maybe the other way around, my memory sucks)
I've read early-20th-centuries where people, including mothers, routinely refer to the baby as "it".

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

goddamnit, post not edit

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Okay, I am running into the wilderness until I learn how to edit.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

The one and only time I confused quote and edit i did it 4 times in a row. I wanted an mri scan after that

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

The hat feathers reminded me of this, I don't remember what thread I saw it in, but Janet Stephens made a bunch of videos on how to recreate the hairstyles of ancient history using only the historical technology, her channel has a whole bunch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BMEoxT5YVk

Also some more medicinals from the plague year apothecary bill I mentioned earlier itt:
- Mixtur. bezoard. antifebril. pestilent. (a mix of various anti-inflammatory bezoars, which are hard trapped masses found in the digestive systems of humans and animals, as opposed to the also mentioned gastroliths which are natural rocks used in digestion)
- Emplastr. Triapharmac. c. Camphor (bandage with three pharmaceuticals and camphor)
- Sal volatil. corn. cerv. ("volatile salts from pallisade cone sea snails", according to Wikipedia they're poisonous so it sounds like a Mithridatism thing)

They really loved using weird poo poo they found in offal for medicine

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Asterite34 posted:

Okay these are actually pretty great, they need to make a comeback

You can still find them in shops. Saw one with a little pug dog the other day

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Carthag Tuek posted:

The hat feathers reminded me of this, I don't remember what thread I saw it in, but Janet Stephens made a bunch of videos on how to recreate the hairstyles of ancient history using only the historical technology, her channel has a whole bunch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BMEoxT5YVk

Also some more medicinals from the plague year apothecary bill I mentioned earlier itt:
- Mixtur. bezoard. antifebril. pestilent. (a mix of various anti-inflammatory bezoars, which are hard trapped masses found in the digestive systems of humans and animals, as opposed to the also mentioned gastroliths which are natural rocks used in digestion)
- Emplastr. Triapharmac. c. Camphor (bandage with three pharmaceuticals and camphor)
- Sal volatil. corn. cerv. ("volatile salts from pallisade cone sea snails", according to Wikipedia they're poisonous so it sounds like a Mithridatism thing)

They really loved using weird poo poo they found in offal for medicine

These videos are fantastic for sick days or insomnia

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Fantastic post; thank you.

I've read early-20th-centuries where people, including mothers, routinely refer to the baby as "it".

Not a historical fact, because it's current, but in the Finnish language, people are always referred to as it, except for:

- babies
- professional athletes
- one's husband who one hates
- dogs
- cats
- one's friend who one hates

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Not a historical fact, because it's current, but in the Finnish language, people are always referred to as it, except for:

- babies
- professional athletes
- dogs
- cats

Wait, these are common enough that you need a specific word?

3D Megadoodoo posted:

the Finnish language

...never mind

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

3D Megadoodoo posted:

- babies
- professional athletes
- dogs
- cats

Do dogs and cats get their own separate pronouns?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

Do dogs and cats get their own separate pronouns?

Human beings are se ("it"), the listed things are hän ("he/she").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

DigitalRaven posted:

Wait, these are common enough that you need a specific word?

...never mind

As a late teen/early twenties girl, I had a couple of people I would refer to as “my friend that I hate”. They were people in my circle that I hadn’t yet developed the brass ovaries to just cut off and not bother with, because it would have caused drama with friends that I actually liked. Cultural people-pleasiness at its finest.