Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Yeah, I don't quite get how Ana Brey gets to remember that Clovis was a bad grandpa, while Crow ends up an amnesiac who gets brutalized by guardians for a while until he figures poo poo out on his own.

Only thing I can think is that Ana has been around forever and unearthed all this stuff already. But what of Savathun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If there’s an answer to how Ana has her memories it’s probably in the season 3 lore

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Ana woke up with her ID badge on. A ton of risen have learned of their past identity from finding stuff like that, or from people recognizing them, or of course due to witchcraft

The only thing is that some people are still considered a blank slate while others are Person: Reborn

More importantly though, Ana doesn't have her 'memories'. She doesn't remember her pre-guardian life. She knows some facts & asks Elsie a ton of questions but doesn't have actual memories in her noggin the way Elsie and Clovis do

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

haveblue posted:

If there’s an answer to how Ana has her memories it’s probably in the season 3 lore

Where does it say she has her memories? She woke up with a nametag on her, and has been researching her past since she was resurrected, so she knows about things, but that's not the same as remembering.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

ponzicar posted:

Where does it say she has her memories? She woke up with a nametag on her, and has been researching her past since she was resurrected, so she knows about things, but that's not the same as remembering.

smdh namesearching is absolute degenerate behavior

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

It's more that, by default the writers treat risen as same-as-their-previous-self*, and then occasionally choose to explore the tabula rasa stuff with specific characters.

edit: to be more accurate, by default it doesn't come up

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Oxyclean posted:

The Hive (or The Krill, as they were originally) were supposed to be chosen/uplifted by the Traveler. But the worm gods on Fundament (who The Witness sicced Rhulk on) lied to them and told them cataclysm is coming so come and embrace the deep.

Additionally, Savathun apparently has history with the Traveler, there's some codex that heavy implies Savathun was around for the first collapse. The fact she goes on to try to give the traveler shelter in her throne world seems to suggest the traveler knew her intentions. I suspect we'll have more Savathun revelations in Lightfall because a bunch of the trailers ends with Savathun's song. (And she also apparently knew of Neomuna)

It's probably a gambit on the Traveler's part - it will take whatever allies against darkness it can get, and the enemy of my enemy, is Savathun.

I haven't played since original destiny 2 this sounds insane

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Risen Who Know Their Past Lives But Are A New Dude
- Crow
- Savin
- Cayde-6

Risen Who Know Their Past Lives And Are The Same Dude
- Ana Bray
- Amanda
- Shinobu
- Orin
- Savathun

https://twitter.com/reactjpg/status/1531549452061724672?s=20

All Risen are more or less who they were previously, except they're not influenced by their formative experiences and memories. People are culminations of both who they are today and who they used to be yesterday, but becoming Risen deletes the parts that they used to be, leaving only the now. It's possible for a Risen to either learn about who they used to be or regain their memories through other methods, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they'll suddenly become exactly who they were before - those that choose to become who they used to be are just making a choice for themselves in the same way anyone else would.

And since I know someone is going to ask, the difference between Crow getting a pass for his past life as Uldren Sov and Savathun still being treated as Savathun is that Savathun continued to act as Savathun even after becoming Risen. What happened immediately after she was resurrected is not clear, but it's likely that she was informed by her coven or Immaru or someone that she had lost her memory, could retrieve it, and had a plan in place for doing so - also that she was the leader of the Lucent Brood and was directly opposed to the Vanguard. She had the opportunity to deny this and be like "nah I'm good not knowing who I used to be and I'm not interested in loving with these people, I should be friends with them instead", similarly to how Drifter immediately tried to ditch his Ghost after being brought back, but she didn't, so... she's still Savathun!

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

haveblue posted:

Ana doesn't have her memories. There are all sorts of things relating to Bray stuff interacting with her and giving her full access to things... but she doesn't understand why or what purpose they serve. It's strongly hinted that she was or was one of the the worst of the Brays when it came to unquestionably bad ethics. She went to a space station that broadcasted encrypted messages "for her eyes only" (literally, she has ocular implants that let her see it) and she didn't understand what was going on or why she would do anything like that.

She knows who she is because she had her namebadge on her when she was rezzed. Everything else she pieced together from the ruins of Bray facilities and logs.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

The final shape has to be square. triangle bad and circle lame.

I dunno maybe a hexagon?

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

note that there is also a cultural taboo among Guardians against looking into your past

the only time we see a pre-Risen lifetime dug up with full Vanguard (or at least Hidden) approval is Eris’s past life, which was uncovered specifically to prove an earlier communique regarding Eris’s past life was full of lies

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I don't really mind how Light Fall and TFS wrap things up. I hope they only tie up the direct Light/Dark story ends honestly. Everything tangential brought up? Leave it for us to learn over the course of whatever comes next. Piecing together extra info after the climax to fill in the unimportant blanks is fun and good imo.

However the Traveler/Witness thing goes down is fine by me, because chances are good they both disappear, we end up cleaning up the aftermath for many expansions on, while dealing with new poo poo. And that's cool and fine.

If it turns out the Witness is all "lol I'm gonna need your powers to reset the universe to nothing, Orb" and we find poo poo that takes them down, and in that time the Traveler goes bye-bye, or some poo poo like that, totally fine by me.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The question is what the tower skybox will look by the end of all of this.

And will they ever finish rebuilding the old tower?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

sure okay posted:

I'll forgive ghosts for being dumb and I'm sure a ghost somewhere at some point tried to revive a cat to no avail.

What I don't understand is why the Traveler let Hive be revived. I played the whole Witch Queen and still don't fully understand that

1) The Traveler offers unconditional forgiveness. This is naive and can backfire, but its got good intentions.

2) The Traveler doesn't interfere with choice and free will. The Ghosts can choose to make bad decisions (and their Risen can as well) and the Traveler just shakes their head and tsks but doesn't stop them.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Mr Cayde: his past debts are eliminated
Mr Savin: released from Queen's duty
Mr Crow: not responsible for Cayde's death

Ms Bray: inherited the bray legacy
Ms Shinobu: kept the same name, wife, and studied her own journal
Ms Orin: remained in the Queen's employ and had to stand trial for abandonment of duty
Ms Savathun: literally is still Savathun

The writers give great justification in each case, but it's an interesting choice to treat risen differently, by gender, on such a consistent basis. It almost makes you wonder if there's lore implications. A risen Nimbus, for example, could easily be the first guardian with perfect memory of their past life & the ability to pick and choose which portions to continue

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
Ana has like... an emotional response to her father that wouldn't make sense if she'd just read about what a dick he was

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

dodgeblan posted:

Ana has like... an emotional response to her father that wouldn't make sense if she'd just read about what a dick he was

Also to Rasputin. Their entire courtship happened pre-rez. I think sometimes the writers just sort of forget

But also in The Dark Future, Ana did gain her actual memories, so who knows if some of that essence manages to stick around and permeate through time and space

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Should I make doing Master Vox Obscura a priority before Lightfall, and if so is it soloable?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
All I can hear in my head now is the sound bite from UT2004 that goes "MMMMmmmmmmmister CROW!" thanks.

Edit: Also wasn't there something about the Light helps you forget, the Darkness helps you remember?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

sure okay posted:

I'll forgive ghosts for being dumb and I'm sure a ghost somewhere at some point tried to revive a cat to no avail.

What I don't understand is why the Traveler let Hive be revived. I played the whole Witch Queen and still don't fully understand that

The Traveler always intended to choose the Hive as an uplifted species. The Witness just got to them first.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

dodgeblan posted:

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Also to Rasputin. Their entire courtship happened pre-rez. I think sometimes the writers just sort of forget

But also in The Dark Future, Ana did gain her actual memories, so who knows if some of that essence manages to stick around and permeate through time and space

real people have emotional responses to fictional characters that they have only read about that are frequently insanely out of band for only having read about them/watched movies about them. imagine a teenager who fell in love with Harry Potter after reading the books, and then discovered that Harry Potter was real and so was Draco Malfloy. that's basically how Ana Bray reacts/reacted to the various "characters" that she'd read about "coming to life", just replace Harry Potter with Rasputin and Draco Malfloy with Clovis Bray

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mazerunner posted:

1) The Traveler offers unconditional forgiveness. This is naive and can backfire, but its got good intentions.

2) The Traveler doesn't interfere with choice and free will. The Ghosts can choose to make bad decisions (and their Risen can as well) and the Traveler just shakes their head and tsks but doesn't stop them.

So the traveler is Jesus Christ.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Listerine posted:

Should I make doing Master Vox Obscura a priority before Lightfall, and if so is it soloable?

Only if you love Dead Messenger so much you need the catalyst, and no

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Listerine posted:

I beg you just rope 2 goons or help from someone to tag along. It is miserable as hell to do with the benefit of respawns and 2 other idiots dealing with champs or using the tank. Doing it solo would be hell.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

syntaxfunction posted:

All I can hear in my head now is the sound bite from UT2004 that goes "MMMMmmmmmmmister CROW!" thanks.

Edit: Also wasn't there something about the Light helps you forget, the Darkness helps you remember?

The Light helps you forget because it bets that, shorn of self-interest, those it chooses will, in turn, choose to do good

The Dark helps you remember as part of a process of individuation. I think it's related to denying possibilities as much as it is embracing self-interest, but that might be something I made up

This is all probably headed toward some sort of synthesis which the Guardians embody--managing the tension between self-interest and altruism by hitching the need for shelter of everything in the cosmos against the Witness to a bunch of goobers with a lust for number go up/shiny new toy

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I beg you just rope 2 goons or help from someone to tag along. It is miserable as hell to do with the benefit of respawns and 2 other idiots dealing with champs or using the tank. Doing it solo would be hell.

doing just the regular version is on my list of "things to try and get goons to drag me through this weekend"

i wanna do the current world tour before a bunch of poo poo goes away

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

:3:

elpaganoescapa
Aug 13, 2014
If they're tying up loose ends, I'd like to know just what the hell the Tree of Silver Wings is. We had a whole season about it but in the end learned nothing and they seem to have forgotten about the thing.

Also lol, in the new collector's edition, they have tied the OXA machine with Taox. It's like the whole universe is just a tiny neighborhood

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I want them to leave some loose ends open. Like, Clarity and poo poo. Keep that open for now, make it its own thing. I wouldn't be opposed to, after TFS, seasons being a bit more anthology-ish for a bit. Give us a season of self contained story, about something now related to the ongoing big story book.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

syntaxfunction posted:

I want them to leave some loose ends open. Like, Clarity and poo poo. Keep that open for now, make it its own thing. I wouldn't be opposed to, after TFS, seasons being a bit more anthology-ish for a bit. Give us a season of self contained story, about something now related to the ongoing big story book.

Clarity was Clovis' name for the Darkness, that's all

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

RocketRaygun posted:

Gotta put on my IK hat here: let's cool it with the horny sex talk people. Thanks

The game explicitly shows osiris grabin’ Saint’s beefy rear end and the lore talks about Shaxx blowing out Mara’s back walls so I’m gonna talk about horny grandpas and crucible schlongs all I want because it’s On Topic

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Mazerunner posted:

Clarity was Clovis' name for the Darkness, that's all

Clarity Control then, the big rear end statue that isn't a statue that we haven't been told much about but a lot has been alluded to, could be a possibly neat story hook.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

syntaxfunction posted:

Clarity Control then, the big rear end statue that isn't a statue that we haven't been told much about but a lot has been alluded to, could be a possibly neat story hook.

How'd you guess the name of the new Crucible mode?

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

syntaxfunction posted:

I don’t think the statue had that big of an rear end

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Really hate how I feel compelled to buy Forsaken, not because of any of the guns or whatever but because I'm still mad I got locked out of doing Nightfall for an entire week like 2 weeks ago because I didn't own it. At least it's on sale today. I also bought the 30th anni pack which is probably useless or w/e but I'm afraid if I don't I'll be owned somehow later and it'll be back to being 25 dollars when I need it to progress something.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

syntaxfunction posted:

We don't know exactly what it's meant to represent yet, but it's linked to the Witness

quote:

While working on this persistent "tower" glitch in the exos' sleep-cycle
dreams, I have been poring over neural telemetry from site employees
and my own exos, searching for preconscious influences on their
behavior—whispers in the dark.

https://www.destinypedia.com/Mysterious_Logbook

After exposing Vex Radiolaria to 'Clarity'/Darkness energy, it transforms into what Clovis calls 'alkahest'. This he used to stabilize the human mind in exo frames.

But it also causes them to start hearing 'whispers in the dark'.

Every time a veiled statue/clarity shows up, its in conjunction with pyramids or pyramid technology, and linked with 'whispers in the dark' or communing with the darkness. Thing is, bungie's been pretty clear lately, even in today's trailer, that whenever you speak to the darkness, it is one entity that whispers back- the Witness

So finding out what exactly the statue is supposed to represent is a plot hook, yeah, but its one linked to the Witness and not its own thing, is all I'm saying.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

The game explicitly shows osiris grabin’ Saint’s beefy rear end and the lore talks about Shaxx blowing out Mara’s back walls so I’m gonna talk about horny grandpas and crucible schlongs all I want because it’s On Topic

please stop trying to replace bust rodd as the local "continues talking about sex even when people ask them to knock it the gently caress off" creep

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Yeah I am aware, what I'm saying is they don't need to wrap up it and every other tangential thing just because they're closing out the Traveler vs Witness showdown. It's totally fine to leave it hanging because it isn't that important right now, and can be used for neat story or mission hooks later.

Clarity Control was a random example, and not the actual point I was making.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Really hate how I feel compelled to buy Forsaken, not because of any of the guns or whatever but because I'm still mad I got locked out of doing Nightfall for an entire week like 2 weeks ago because I didn't own it. At least it's on sale today. I also bought the 30th anni pack which is probably useless or w/e but I'm afraid if I don't I'll be owned somehow later and it'll be back to being 25 dollars when I need it to progress something.

30th is kind of pricy for the main reason to buy it - Grasp of Avarice, a dungeon, but dungeons are also cool and fun, and there's a quest you can pick up that has you go and clear the dungeon for gjallerhorn, a very good exotic rocket launcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

syntaxfunction posted:

the Vex and Lysander’s Concordat are two obvious plot threads that don’t have a strong connection to the Light and Darkness stuff, so they could do big expansions around elements like those and tighter seasonal plots that are even looser and could fit in anywhere—helping the Redjacks claim territory for use in Crucible matches, that kind of stuff