Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

haveblue posted:

*A* ghost bites it, the guardian is wearing generic armor

On rewatch, still lolling that the witness just strolls out into space to say hi to the traveler

That guardian is also getting sliced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gadzuko posted:

The Witness just being a guy when the traveler is a gigantic unfathomable orb is kind of unsatisfying to me. It can't really end up as Anime Eyes Guy vs. Giant Orb, can it?

Yes

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

oh this is amazing.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

I can't think of any reason for traveler ghost to be sagira, other than 'it looks like her', which was also the rationale behind the theory that sagira was the prototype for all the hive ghosts. Morena Baccarin ain't comin' back.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Kitness

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

Astrochicken posted:

I can't think of any reason for traveler ghost to be sagira, other than 'it looks like her', which was also the rationale behind the theory that sagira was the prototype for all the hive ghosts. Morena Baccarin ain't comin' back.

I was just making a joke that Sagira got big because the traveler looks like big Sagira.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Gadzuko posted:

The Witness just being a guy when the traveler is a gigantic unfathomable orb is kind of unsatisfying to me. It can't really end up as Anime Eyes Guy vs. Giant Orb, can it?

The Traveler is the source of the Light but the Witness is not the source of or even an agent of the Darkness, they are someone else who has hijacked it for their own ends.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
The Traveler confirmed to be an Ion Cannon.

Command and Conquer 5 confirmed.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Must... Bat... The... Ball...

Source of both catness images: https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/11a4qre/cat_witness/

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Gadzuko posted:

The closer in size a big bad is to the player character, the more dangerous they are. That's basic video game physics

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Lib and let die posted:

The closer in size a big bad is to the player character, the more dangerous they are. That's basic video game physics

But at the same time, bad guys get more dangerous the bigger they get than other bad guys. It's a paradox

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
You guys noticed the Witness was like a thousand yards tall yeah??

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You guys noticed the Witness was like a thousand yards tall yeah??

The Witness is ...flexible with its height, right? I swear it's bounced up and down in the various videos/cutscenes.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

crucible ghost getting sliced up is some real passive aggressive poo poo

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Hypnobeard posted:

The Witness is ...flexible with its height, right? I swear it's bounced up and down in the various videos/cutscenes.

The majority of shots we've seen in Lightfall trailers have had them at approximately the same size as Calus. People keep posting that one art book page but I feel like it's pretty clear either The Witness is changing shape in some way Oryx-style or that's some form of projection.

We also don't know how far away the Traveler is from the Witness in the screencaps of the Witness standing in front of it in the launch trailer.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

Oxyclean posted:

Season of the Risen was somewhat set up as a 'meanwhile..." to WQ's campaign, so I assume Darkness Cities? seen in the promo art for Defiance showing up on Earth is a side effect of whatever happens in the opening battle before we go off to Neptune.

Yeah, the vidoc said that season of defiance will be about the fight on earth while the campaign focuses on neomuna

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Hypnobeard posted:

There haven't been any cutscenes with benchmark objects near the Witness and he's definitely significantly smaller than the Traveler but he is big as fuuuuuuuck. Smaller than a Pyramid, which are smaller than Traveler, but one big boy.

That said, he'll need to (eventually) be an in-game enemy. Probably in TFS? So who knows if they'll just Confirm he is Raid Oryx size, or perhaps the events of the next year involve Shrinking him down to Rhulk size

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

yeah, every time we've had something to reference against him like Calus or the Pyramids he's appeared to be gargantuan. I could see him just shrinking down when it's needed.

on a related note, wow, the shadowkeep ending cutscene does such a great job of foreshadowing the witness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Azr1q414MGE

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

arsenicCatnip posted:

yeah, every time we've had something to reference against him like Calus or the Pyramids he's appeared to be gargantuan. I could see him just shrinking down when it's needed.

on a related note, wow, the shadowkeep ending cutscene does such a great job of foreshadowing the witness

that's less of a foreshadow and more of a "HEY THIS IS THE BAD GUY HEY LOOK RIGHT HERE ITS HIM"

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

Your massage parlors!

Lethrom posted:

I was just making a joke that Sagira got big because the traveler looks like big Sagira.

sorry i'm more thick headed than usual lately.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

RocketRaygun posted:

that's less of a foreshadow and more of a "HEY THIS IS THE BAD GUY HEY LOOK RIGHT HERE ITS HIM"

yeah I guess foreshadow isn't the right word but idk, it's cool looking back at it knowing what the witness is and seeing how they got it's mannerisms across

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
the witness is just megamind

i kind of dislike how many plot threads just seem to be getting tied up for the sake of getting tied up instead of the destiny universe having a feeling of mystery. i don't think it needed a single big bad guy, especially one that is like ALL ENCOMPASSING for the store to be fun or to even reach a natural conclusion

maybe some lightfall lore will make it seem more interesting, but i feel like the build up to lightfall has been about making everything less interesting and open ended and more about there being a Lord Zed to the Power Rangers

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

arsenicCatnip posted:

I really do not think so, I'm not trying to die on this hill or anything but we have more evidence of The Witness being regular-sized than a giant. Like I said, either the artbook page was them using a projection, or they're doing some Oryx-style size changing.

Even in this shot from the Game Awards trailer, if we assume the room they're in is similar to the size of a room in a pyramid ship like in Vow of the Disciple, they seem maybe ten feet tall or so at the most, ghost heads notwithstanding.

arsenicCatnip posted:

Yeah I watched the Shadowkeep ending on a whim in my Lightfall hype just yesterday and I noticed the fake-you puts their hands together in a triangle just like The Witness always does at the end.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 24, 2023

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Pirate Jet posted:

I really do not think so, I'm not trying to die on this hill or anything but we have more evidence of The Witness being regular-sized than a giant. Like I said, either the artbook page was them using a projection, or they're doing some Oryx-style size changing.

Even in this shot from the Game Awards trailer, if we assume the room they're in is similar to the size of a room in a pyramid ship like in Vow of the Disciple, they seem maybe ten feet tall or so at the most, ghost heads notwithstanding.

Yeah I watched the Shadowkeep ending on a whim in my Lightfall hype just yesterday and I noticed the fake-you puts their hands together in a triangle just like The Witness always does at the end.

Dogg they look the same size because one is far away

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Dogg they look the same size because one is far away

Calus is walking up to The Witness in each of those shots where they seem to be having a conversation. The only way that would work would be if some reason The Witness was standing a mile away from the broken-glass barrier while Calus was standing right next to it.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Is it really too hard to believe that the witness is some formless entity, and is therefore using this shape as a form?
Meaning it can be whatever the gently caress size it needs to be, at any time?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Is it really too hard to believe that the witness is some formless entity, and is therefore using this shape as a form?

That's exactly what I'm trying to say!

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Gadzuko posted:

The Witness is a paracausal god who most likely used to be a mortal.

My guess is it's a collective entity through an egregor link, and disrupting that will rob him of his divinity and bring him back to a singular, vulnerable individual.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

If he can choose how he looks then that would sort of beg the question of why he chooses to look like an albino edgelord smoke machine and I don't think Bungie wants people pulling on that thread.

Alternatively, if he can only change his size and nothing else then that feels like a kind lame power only given to him for cinematic purposes which is again not the thing Bungie wants you thinking about when looking at him.

TBH I can't definitively say what they actually want us thinking with him. He's strange and unique sure, but not at all intimidating and actually a little sad. I feel like I'm looking at the Destiny version of a blobfish god

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Pirate Jet posted:

That's exactly what I'm trying to say!

Quit shrinking the goalposts!!

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

i don't know why the ghost slice is so profoundly sad to me but it sure loving is

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

The real question is: exactly how stupid will the gun/guns we turn it's soul into, look like?

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

The real question is: exactly how stupid will the gun/guns we turn it's soul into, look like?

I wanna shoot ghost heads at stuff

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
demigods turning themselves into guns is way too cool for the current destiny narrative team imo

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
A Witness Gun would have his big ol sad eyes and make me feel bad when I use it for Master Empire Hunts in 2027

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

nightmare hunts and empire hunts suck massive rear end and i hope hunts do not return in lightfall. we did just fine without them in witch queen

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Kith posted:

nightmare hunts and empire hunts suck massive rear end and i hope hunts do not return in lightfall. we did just fine without them in witch queen

They called them Psi Ops and they were ten dollars!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Please allow me to explain my Bigger Witness theory

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

muike posted:

demigods turning themselves into guns is way too cool for the current destiny narrative team imo

its literally the story of Whisper of the Worm and possibly 1KV?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i am implying that i think those writers are no longer part of the narrative team that oversees the story