Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

also Mara and Shaxx did not have sex that’s a cringe Redditor interpretation of the lore card. next you’re gonna say Rasputin shot the Traveler or ask who the strongest Guardian is lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Kith posted:

And since I know someone is going to ask, the difference between Crow getting a pass for his past life as Uldren Sov and Savathun still being treated as Savathun is that Savathun continued to act as Savathun even after becoming Risen. What happened immediately after she was resurrected is not clear, but it's likely that she was informed by her coven or Immaru or someone that she had lost her memory, could retrieve it, and had a plan in place for doing so - also that she was the leader of the Lucent Brood and was directly opposed to the Vanguard. She had the opportunity to deny this and be like "nah I'm good not knowing who I used to be and I'm not interested in loving with these people, I should be friends with them instead", similarly to how Drifter immediately tried to ditch his Ghost after being brought back, but she didn't, so... she's still Savathun!

The lore on the three exotic glaives explains what happened with Savathun - Immaru immediately gave her the basics on who she used to be and her right-hand hive wizard (the same one you kill during The Last Chance, at the very end) arrived shortly after the first rez to take Risen-Savathun back first to her ship and then to her Throne World. Savathun picked up enough from being back home to restart her plans from there.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
The strongest guardian is Goku, duh.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Kith posted:

please stop trying to replace bust rodd as the local "continues talking about sex even when people ask them to knock it the gently caress off" creep

Tell it to the guy trying to push his fanfiction onto us

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Majere posted:

The final shape has to be square. triangle bad and circle lame.

I dunno maybe a hexagon?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Are there any clear winners I should spend my Forsaken ciphers on?

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Le Monarque and Jötunn

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Ibram Gaunt posted:

If you have raid spoils, Always On Time

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Ibram Gaunt posted:

One of the overchill members keeps this up to date season by season:

http://vykromond.com/destiny/CURRENT_KIOSK_GUIDE.PNG

(its not embedding click the link)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

haveblue posted:

If you have raid spoils, Always On Time

if you want to be boring and lame

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
the utility of always on time is honestly massively overstated; it’s just good for the opening of DSC and that middle part of grasp.

The real best sparrow is the StarHobbyHorse.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

victrix posted:

wait that's destiny's tagline

"It's time to have fun, guardian-style"

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok so I’ve sure watched a lot of hours of destiny lore videos but is there an explanation as to why Zavala is an awoken?

He had a wife and kid on earth but I am missing the first part there.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

MarcusSA posted:

Ok so I’ve sure watched a lot of hours of destiny lore videos but is there an explanation as to why Zavala is an awoken?

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

MarcusSA posted:

He just... is? The kid was adopted, he was already a guardian and thus couldn't have biological kids.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

like many (all? all first-gen?) Awoken, Zavala used to live in the Reef, but during the Dark Age a number of Awoken defected to Earth. Zavala was among them, died here, and was resurrected here

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

like many (all? all first-gen?) Awoken, Zavala used to live in the Reef, but during the Dark Age a number of Awoken defected to Earth. Zavala was among them, died here, and was resurrected here

Original Awoken are from the Distributary, the pocket universe Mara pulled the Yang Liwei into when she touched the singularity between Light and Darkness. After a ton of research she found a way to get back out; the Awoken that followed her and settled on the Reef populated it with Reefborn like Petra Venj. I'm not sure anyone has ever said if Zavala was a Distributary original who followed Mara or Reefborn, though I think one of the Corsairs hanging out in the Dreaming City has idle dialogue saying they knew him before.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Meiteron posted:

The lore on the three exotic glaives explains what happened with Savathun - Immaru immediately gave her the basics on who she used to be and her right-hand hive wizard (the same one you kill during The Last Chance, at the very end) arrived shortly after the first rez to take Risen-Savathun back first to her ship and then to her Throne World. Savathun picked up enough from being back home to restart her plans from there.

That being revealed in the Glaive lore explains why I didn't know - I have never given a poo poo about those things. :E

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, it’s kinda dumb that the best way to understand a season’s story is to spend half an hour finding all the new stuff in collections and reading its lore. And remembering to do it again when secret things unlock

At least it creates demand for community lore explainer guys, which Bungie probably views as an explicit positive

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Thank gently caress for Ishtar, much faster to load the lore in one place

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

haveblue posted:

Yeah, it’s kinda dumb that the best way to understand a season’s story is to spend half an hour finding all the new stuff in collections and reading its lore. And remembering to do it again when secret things unlock

At least it creates demand for community lore explainer guys, which Bungie probably views as an explicit positive

Also something to say about community discovery, prolonged engagement and theorycrafting ala Dark Souls.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

PERMACAV 50 posted:

Original Awoken are from the Distributary, the pocket universe Mara pulled the Yang Liwei into when she touched the singularity between Light and Darkness. After a ton of research she found a way to get back out; the Awoken that followed her and settled on the Reef populated it with Reefborn like Petra Venj. I'm not sure anyone has ever said if Zavala was a Distributary original who followed Mara or Reefborn, though I think one of the Corsairs hanging out in the Dreaming City has idle dialogue saying they knew him before.

It’s my understanding (please correct me if I’m wrong) the awoken came about when the darkness came and offed everyone. What’s the time frame from what to when the guardians came about?

His backstory is kinda the only one I’m left puzzled about.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Amanda Holiday posting on truth social about the awoken mind virus

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

The Awoken came from a colony ship driving through a Black Hole, although they were "coded" to act how they did because the human version of Mara Sov went through the Black Hole first.

Mara Sov is kind of a loving monster that caused theoretically infinite suffering in a paradise world because she wanted to be the prettiest.

You can read all about it in Marasenna!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kith posted:

The Awoken came from a colony ship driving through a Black Hole, although they were "coded" to act how they did because the human version of Mara Sov went through the Black Hole first.

Mara Sov is kind of a monster and caused theoretically infinite suffering in a paradise world because she wanted to be the prettiest.

I thought this was happening at the exact same time as the darkness stuff which caused all the fuckery.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Well I ground out all the pulse rifle catalysts up to the legend seraph mission. Gonna have to try and find and lfg or rope some unsuspecting goons into doing it. I would probably try and solo it if there was more time in the season left but I just wanna get it done before Lughtfall.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

MarcusSA posted:

I thought this was happening at the exact same time as the darkness stuff which caused all the fuckery.

Sort of! The book explains it better than I remember, I don't remember the actual mechanics of how the Awoken came about, I just remember Mara completely loving them over.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

MarcusSA posted:

Ghosts were all created at the same time, during the Collapse, which is also when the Awoken entered their pocket dimension.

However, most Ghosts have not yet found their partner yet, and new risen/guardians are a trickle as the ghosts find them and pair off.

So it's Collapse -> Ghosts (awoken in pocket dimension) -> First risen -> Awoken return to realspace -> some Awoken (presumably including Zavala) continue on to Earth, others remain in the Reef -> Zavala dies -> His ghost finds him.

This takes place over centuries.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

ChaosReaper posted:

Well I ground out all the pulse rifle catalysts up to the legend seraph mission. Gonna have to try and find and lfg or rope some unsuspecting goons into doing it. I would probably try and solo it if there was more time in the season left but I just wanna get it done before Lughtfall.

I can solo that. Id be happy to help.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

ChaosReaper posted:

I did this solo the other day and I'm by no means a good player. Haven't soloed any dungeons or any hard content at all. Legendary Seraphs was pretty simple and quite fair. Used a staccato with adaptive munitions, witherhoard, and a chain of command (might've been a cry mutiny). Took an hour-ish.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Player Character Awoken did all that poo poo, climbed into a 500 year old rusted junker in Russia and died lol

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Kith posted:

Sort of! The book explains it better than I remember, I don't remember the actual mechanics of how the Awoken came about, I just remember Mara completely loving them over.

Kith posted:

Mara Sov is kind of a loving monster that caused theoretically infinite suffering in a paradise world because she wanted to be the prettiest.

sort of, kind of, not really

1) Marasenna is Mara's autobiography/bible. It's a narrative she's selling us. So when it has a chapter where Mara's captain/queen/mother figure calls her the most evil thing to ever exist, that's something Mara purposefully included- something she wants us to see. There's a whole lot of motives she could have for including it, but none are "because it's the truth and she values the truth".

2) Given the uncertainty of above, Mara's stated goal was about eventually coming back to realspace to help humanity, not to be the prettiest (and this has been born out by her actions ever since). And since it seems the Witness threatens all existence, including the Distributary, it in fact probably was the correct call.

3) Go give the book of unmaking/for every rose, a thorn a read. They're the key that puts everything else 'Darkness'/Witness into perspective. The Witness hates mortality and existing on the material plane, it thinks that's the cause of suffering, and it wants all its followers to become Ascendent and immortal, shuck their mortal bodies and live on ever higher and more fundamental planes of existence, while simultaneously destroying everything that doesn't- so that it can 'eat' their information and fold it into itself, to eventually become a singularity, which is also 'nothing'.

But anyway, that belief that living as bodiless transcendent beings forever is infinitely better than living mortal lives? That's the exact same thing the Witness believes.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Feb 25, 2023

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Player Character Awoken did all that poo poo, climbed into a 500 year old rusted junker in Russia and died lol

That was one suckass commute

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It was the golden age… for everything but commutes and cars

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Golden age of space magic and we still couldn’t figure out traffic jams.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

yeah, Mara gave up what was essentially nirvana—not only for herself but for the rest of the Awoken—for the good of humanity. she betrayed a few thousand people in order to protect billions, and she is so singleminded in her pursuit of power to be used for that goal that she survived being torn apart in the Sea of Screams. a titanic will…!

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

also Mara and Shaxx did not have sex that’s a cringe Redditor interpretation of the lore card. next you’re gonna say Rasputin shot the Traveler or ask who the strongest Guardian is lol

it’s my guardian, bungie said so

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Kith posted:

this reminds me, any Axiom Verge fans?

the creator is a huge nerd and I love him

https://www.thomashapp.com/omniverse/simulationimperative

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Kith posted:

She succeeded in her goal. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Mazerunner posted:

sort of, kind of, not really

3) Go give the book of unmaking/for every rose, a thorn a read. They're the key that puts everything else 'Darkness'/Witness into perspective. The Witness hates mortality and existing on the material plane, it thinks that's the cause of suffering, and it wants all its followers to become Ascendent and immortal, shuck their mortal bodies and live on ever higher and more fundamental planes of existence, while simultaneously destroying everything that doesn't- so that it can 'eat' their information and fold it into itself, to eventually become a singularity, which is also 'nothing'.

But anyway, that belief that living as bodiless transcendent beings forever is infinitely better than living mortal lives? That's the exact same thing the Witness believes.

You know between this and having Best Character Calus on their side maybe I should cheer team Witness