Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Ornery and Hornery posted:

What is our proof that these scam websites are paying Google?

Also - i am 100% going to get scammed when I’m an elder. Assuming I live to be that old.

I can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic or not but… i hope so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Just did my taxes. $0 for my federal return :smug:

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I got over $800 back, mostly because I have no deduction taken out and I got a $3400 retention bonus in July. I got some delivery Vietnamese food on Saturday and got anAmazon Fresh grocery today with it since I'm really trying to stay in my budget for the month.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Timby posted:

Yeah, the pizza places here in Dubuque all have their own delivery drivers, but I can't think of any other place that does.

And the worst part is that the fees that companies like UberEats, Grubhub, et al. charge the restaurants are so exorbitant that the restaurant is most likely breaking even or even losing money on your order.
I delivered for Domino's way back in the day, and pizza is just one of those foods that has a very strong rush right at dinner and then tapers off. So they have to have delivery drivers on hand right at dinner time for three hours and then they pull back. They can't trust on UberEats and GrubHub to have the drivers there on time. Also, with Domino's the pizzas would be out the door in under 10 minutes when everything is going well. Two minutes to make the pizza, 7 minutes in the oven, 1 minute into the hot bag and out the door. Sometimes it took longer just because there were so many pizzas ordered that there would be several prepared but waiting to get in the oven.

To tie this to football, I worked there during Super Bowl XXXVIII, Panthers vs Patriots in February of 2004. I live in North Carolina. That day was CRAZY. The pre-game rush was intense, and it held through the first half. Then, because it was a close game, all business dried up during the second half, and I was sent home. I remember right before the half Kasay hit a long field goal, and I remember that because I was delivering to a house and everyone inside was getting all excited and the guy paying me was "Hey they're about to kick a field goal, wanna watch" and I said "YES" and went into that guy's house and watched the FG go through the uprights. Then here's the money here's your pizzas blah blah blah.

Then, because I was sent home during the 4th quarter, I got home just in time to watch Kasay shank the kickoff and the Patriots kick the game winning field goal. Also, this was the game with the Janet Jackson / Justin Timberlake Nipplegate halftime show, and I didn't know anything about it because I was delivering pizzas.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Google labels the sponsored ads.

Of course, many of the scam websites bubble up to the top of the search results without being sponsored. Those, presumably, are just taking advantage of flaws in The Algorithm; but reportedly, people have little recourse when they're being hosed over this way and google doesn't seem to give a poo poo.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Also - i am 100% going to get scammed when I’m an elder. Assuming I live to be that old.

The example I posted literally has the word "sponsored" next to the scam website, indicating it's a paid ad.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Dango Bango posted:

Just did my taxes. $0 for my federal return :smug:

I owe $1 lol

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I got over $800 back, mostly because I have no deduction taken out and I got a $3400 retention bonus in July. I got some delivery Vietnamese food on Saturday and got anAmazon Fresh grocery today with it since I'm really trying to stay in my budget for the month.

Wife got $900 for 2 kids and me being a stay home…. That’s about it

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Is there a decent tax site that isn't turbotax that can do a lot of 1099 forms? I have several just from various banks, spending and mortgage stuff.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

seiferguy posted:

Is there a decent tax site that isn't turbotax that can do a lot of 1099 forms? I have several just from various banks, spending and mortgage stuff.

TaxAct used to be really good with that, but they went to poo poo three or four years ago (both in terms of cost as well as service / features), and since I only have W-2s, I just do free filing through H&R Block. $1400 back from the Feds, $400 from Iowa, but my Iowa refund got clawed back because of a bill from an ambulance ride to the hospital in August (I collapsed at a restaurant where I was having lunch with my best friend).

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Of course, many of the scam websites bubble up to the top of the search results without being sponsored. Those, presumably, are just taking advantage of flaws in The Algorithm; but reportedly, people have little recourse when they're being hosed over this way and google doesn't seem to give a poo poo.

From what I’ve heard of takedowns on YouTube, it follows a similar “fast to allow bad actors / slow to offer recourse” vibe. Wonder why.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

seiferguy posted:

I've been using freetaxusa at reddit's recommendation and it seems to be working fine. We had a few 1099s including an NEC and it handled them well. It's free for federal and $15 per state and you don't have to pay extra to itemize.

One piece of advice I got if you're not sure about their calculations is to put everything into TurboTax too so you make sure the numbers more or less even out. After all, you don't have to pay for TurboTax until you file.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

swickles posted:

It literally says "sponsored ad" in the screen shot.

Leperflesh posted:

Skwirl posted:

The example I posted literally has the word "sponsored" next to the scam website, indicating it's a paid ad.

I'm not sure that's the question he was asking. What if the scammers are scamming Google at the same time (not paying Google, disappearing, then popping up again with a new name)?

If they're already scamming restaurants, why stop there?

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Two important news items from last night.

First, my parents announced the addition of Bennie the mini Aussiepoo (guessing that's the same as Aussiedoodle) to our family:

Unclear why it looks like they took the pictures on a gen 1 iPad, but whatever, they're old.

Also, in much more SB-focused news, we spotted this gentleman leaving the Gopher Hockey game last night:

e: Oh, bonus third thing, Zoey (the cat we got in November) got her first mouse last night, and was nice enough to kill or severely injure it enough that it couldn't run away from us when she brought it upstairs to play with.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Blowjob Overtime posted:

First, my parents announced the addition of Bennie the mini Aussiepoo (guessing that's the same as Aussiedoodle) to our family:

:stwoon:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Hello friend.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

saintonan posted:

I'm not sure that's the question he was asking. What if the scammers are scamming Google at the same time (not paying Google, disappearing, then popping up again with a new name)?

I imagine google makes sure it gets paid

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

<Arnold holding a Giant space drill> BENNIE! SCREW YOU!!!

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Nothing like feeling a big pop when you're doing leg press at the gym :stare:

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Amy Pole Her posted:

I can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic or not but… i hope so

swickles posted:

It literally says "sponsored ad" in the screen shot.

Leperflesh posted:

Skwirl posted:

OH That's it? I was assuming this was happening to the results that were not visibly labeled as "ad", in addition to the ones actually labeled as "ads".

When it's clearly labeled as "ad" it seems much less nefarious to me... we can just ignore those results. I don't think I've ever clicked on an "ad" result? I'm lazy and out of shape but even ole' Hornery can scroll the mouse wheel down a bit.

Timby posted:

Yelp was found to be doing this several years ago.

Leperflesh posted:

Did they omit labeling those results as "ads"?

Yeah this is more what I was concerned about.

Ornery and Hornery fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 25, 2023

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Unclear why it looks like they took the pictures on a gen 1 iPad, but whatever, they're old.

Also, in much more SB-focused news, we spotted this gentleman leaving the Gopher Hockey game last night:

e: Oh, bonus third thing, Zoey (the cat we got in November) got her first mouse last night, and was nice enough to kill or severely injure it enough that it couldn't run away from us when she brought it upstairs to play with.

Hi Bennie

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Dango Bango posted:

Nothing like feeling a big pop when you're doing leg press at the gym :stare:

Thought that said "poop" at first but this is probably worse.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Quiet Feet posted:

Thought that said "poop" at first but this is probably worse.

Unless the pop was part of the poop

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

That immediately reminds me of the Schadenfreude thread's favorite elastic workout band video :lol:

And it's just a really bad pull/minor tear of a medial quad muscle. Right in the middle between hip and knee. It hurts like hell getting up from a chair though.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Not sure if I should get a vintage San Diego plate or a Bengos sombrero.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Silly Burrito posted:

Not sure if I should get a vintage San Diego plate or a Bengos sombrero.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I'd get the Falcons hat so you have a proper place to poo poo after sampling the local cuisine.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

wandler20 posted:

I'd get the Falcons hat so you have a proper place to poo poo after sampling the local cuisine.

A wise choice indeed.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

wandler20 posted:

:hmmyes:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Tulalip Tulips posted:

My fluffy boy cat did a real number on my hand today and he's lucky he's adorable and his revenge groom is next week.

I still have to be careful around my girlfriend’s cats because mine will just let me do whatever to them and not care, but I got in trouble with one of hers because mine fuckin love butt pats, and while half asleep in bed one morning I found out her 18 pound part Maine Coon fucker does not enjoy a nice butt pat, and promptly got four puncture wounds in my wrist

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

saintonan posted:

Google would figure out pretty quick if they were getting ripped off. The restaurant dealt with it enough they knew what was happening and they actually still get paid in this scam.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

T-Square posted:

I still have to be careful around my girlfriend’s cats because mine will just let me do whatever to them and not care, but I got in trouble with one of hers because mine fuckin love butt pats, and while half asleep in bed one morning I found out her 18 pound part Maine Coon fucker does not enjoy a nice butt pat, and promptly got four puncture wounds in my wrist

Thankfully Katya only bites when you're trying to take his squeezy treat away but he goes ham with his claws. Normally he likes belly rubs and side strokes but I must have hit his limit because dude trapped my hand and brutally scratched the hell out of it. 95% of the time he's fine and I got him trained out of his "hands are toys" kitten phase but when he goes for it it sucks. Smug little bastard got super cuddly though.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Google would figure out pretty quick if they were getting ripped off. The restaurant dealt with it enough they knew what was happening and they actually still get paid in this scam.

A company that spent a few million to find the shade of blue most likely to get you to click something for sure knows what they're doing.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Oh, cool, this piece of poo poo is finally going away. Or at least you'll have to seek him out to find him.

https://twitter.com/BrentNYT/status/1629606390703575046

He's up there with Dennis Miller for me for people who were once sane and...well lost their minds at some point. Not the same exactly, I did find Dennis Miller funny at one point and still think he was. Not the same for Scott Adams, but at least I got the Dilbert Principle and didn't notice...super racist things back in the day.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

A boomer got lucky and got rich. Then he had a platform and a ton of money with no friends around to reel him in as he went further and further off the deep end. A tale as old as all boomers.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

Blowjob Overtime posted:

Aussiepoo is Russell Crowe in Les Miserables.

Good job on the new kitty keeping your house rodent free. In related news, I realized our second youngest, dumbest cat somehow broke off most of one of his top canines so we get to pay to have the remainder removed.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Finally got around to watching Midsommar last night. Really liked it, and liked it more than hereditary, which I just watched a couple of months ago.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Bird in a Blender posted:

Finally got around to watching Midsommar last night. Really liked it, and liked it more than hereditary, which I just watched a couple of months ago.

Midsommar is really really good.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I love Ari Aster movies. Looking forward to his next film, which looks to be even weirder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuiWDn976Ek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Cool, got a local ache in my lower right abdomen that started last night and got worse over night. Sounds like appendicitis. :( Waiting on a call back from the Medica nurse line to figure out which urgent care I need to go to and not get billed as out of network.