Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bou
Aug 3, 2006

I like Joel. I like Ellie. They are interesting characters doing things that interest me. Their relationship is interesting. And it gets more innteresting by the episode.
I did not care much for any of the flashback scenes except for the Joel backstory. I diidn't mind as long as they kept the science-backgrounds to 5-10 minutes. But on a rewatch i will skip everything of episode 3 except for the J&E parts.

Yeah, the most lauded part of the series so far didn't catch me at all. Might be a bad opinion. So i leave other users their "bad" opinion about J&E. But i get the feeling (and sorry, i hope so!) that in the end they will be more disappointed by this series than i will be. Episode 6 was the best thus far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Frankly the most unrealistic thing about the show is Jackson being an affordable place to live, even in the post-apocalypse.

they're communists, there's no one to pay rent to

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Mantis42 posted:

woosh

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
If we changed Joel and Ellie’s names to something else the story would still be the same and therefore, the story sucks and the characters aren’t important.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

fullroundaction posted:

When Joel’s brother handed him the gun (and no additional ammo) and then in the next scene we see them just wasting rounds on some cute/unnecessary target practice in a large open field with no cover, a thing previously stated that will for sure draw zombies and people, I was like drat they wouldn’t have even done something this stupid in the walking dead.

That said, what’s missing for me is plots that last longer than an episode. Other than that loving it.

Yeah, they don't give a gently caress about ammo related details (you'll note Joel didn't take mags for the AR off of the FEDRA dude in the first ep, doesn't reload it, and doesn't seem to fill the magwell on the hunting rifle.) Or just gun stuff in general (taking the bolty instead of any of the semi autos on the wall).

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

BrotherJayne posted:

you'll note Joel didn't take mags for the AR off of the FEDRA dude in the first ep

What about clips, did he take any of those?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Yeah I think reading material was the last thing on Joel's mind while trying to get out of the immediate perimeter of the Boston QZ after killing a FEDRA troop, makes sense to me.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

i want a zombie show with a major divergence in the past that really leans into the butterfly effect of that. like sure there are zombies, but the real problem is saddam hussein's still alive and gained full control of the mediterranian and he's teaming up with osama bin laden and grant imahara to take down america. basically just mash walking dead into 24 ill be happy

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Mantis42 posted:

Hammer, Sickle, or rear end, No One Lives for Free.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Finally caught the most recent episode, no comments other than chalk me up as another sap that squealed in delight when I saw Elaine Miles in the beginning. Elaine loving Miles of Northern Exposure fame and stardom is on my tv in 2023 and it is beyond loving awesome.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Mental Hospitality posted:

Finally caught the most recent episode, no comments other than chalk me up as another sap that squealed in delight when I saw Elaine Miles in the beginning. Elaine loving Miles of Northern Exposure fame and stardom is on my tv in 2023 and it is beyond loving awesome.

I couldn't figure out what I knew her from. She's awesome.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

That DICK! posted:

i want a zombie show with a major divergence in the past that really leans into the butterfly effect of that. like sure there are zombies, but the real problem is saddam hussein's still alive and gained full control of the mediterranian and he's teaming up with osama bin laden and grant imahara to take down america. basically just mash walking dead into 24 ill be happy

This would be a very cool idea for a show. What if Hitler, in his exploration of the mystic arts, not only created zombies but found a way to utilize them in war and extend life spans. I don't really want a "Houdini Hitler" style show, with him blasting fireballs at Russians, but if that's the one thing he managed to do, that could be a decent idea for a show.

Speaking of zombie shows, there is 1 cute little zombie short story on Netflix you can watch. Talking about alternate zombie universes kind of reminded me of it, because a little of that happens.

Also, In Vaulted Halls Untombed, while not being zombies, is loving amazing and worth a watch while you are at it. Basically almost anything Love, Death & Robots is good.

Mental Hospitality posted:

For me it was "who is his brothers wife, she looks so familiar" and finally realizing it's Tara (Rutina Wesley) from True Blood.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

ShowTime posted:

This would be a very cool idea for a show. What if Hitler, in his exploration of the mystic arts, not only created zombies but found a way to utilize them in war and extend life spans. I don't really want a "Houdini Hitler" style show, with him blasting fireballs at Russians, but if that's the one thing he managed to do, that could be a decent idea for a show.

Dude, there are several entire competing sub-genres of alternate history about what if Hitler won WWII, with exactly how much magic he used as the dividing line.

Personally, for just pure gonzo, I like Thor Meets Captain America where the Nazis use necromantic sacrifice to create the Norse gods so WWII has now gone all the way to the early 60's. One of the characters is even a beatnik. It's very dumb but it also absolutely rules.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

ShowTime posted:

There was a low-budget movie a few years back that went with the premise of Nazi scientists creating armoured zombies as a last-ditch attempt to turn the tide of the war.

It's by no means a good movie, but as schlock horror goes it an OK way to pass some time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMUQ2IMuz8o

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

I thought Über was pretty good for a comic series, where through hosed up science and discovery of a previously unknown element super-people are created, and Germany gets them first, managing to just avoid losing WW2 because of them, and it goes on from there.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

If I lived in this timeline I'd just be worried about what Saddam was up to with his WMDs.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Mantis42 posted:

If I lived in this timeline I'd just be worried about what Saddam was up to with his WMDs.

his nuclear scientists would all be dead, we already learned that there would be fungus in yellow cake

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
It would be a kind of dark irony that part of the reason why the US couldn't effectively respond to the fungal pandemic was because so many troops and so much equipment had been sent to dick around in Iraq and Afghanistan.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Kazzah posted:

What about clips, did he take any of those?

No clips, magazines, or loose rounds

Bet he doesn't even know how to rack tap bang!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
World fungus proliferate in the Middle East? I thought it’d be too hot and too much sunshine that they’d literally liquify.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Boris Galerkin posted:

World fungus proliferate in the Middle East? I thought it’d be too hot and too much sunshine that they’d literally liquify.

They made a point in the beginning of the first episode that the trigger for the whole outbreak is the fungus adapting to climate change by being able to withstand hotter temperatures.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It would be a kind of dark irony that part of the reason why the US couldn't effectively respond to the fungal pandemic was because so many troops and so much equipment had been sent to dick around in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Maybe it's like the Mad Max fan theory about Australia where the rest of the planet has already fully recovered and just said gently caress it to ever being in contact with the US again.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Feb 24, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Phylodox posted:

They made a point in the beginning of the first episode that the trigger for the whole outbreak is the fungus adapting to climate change by being able to withstand hotter temperatures.

I mean yes I get that but 50 Celsius without cloud cover is still "a bit" hotter than a warmer tropical climate.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Boris Galerkin posted:

I mean yes I get that but 50 Celsius without cloud cover is still "a bit" hotter than a warmer tropical climate.

American post apoc stuff is really bad about telling us about the rest of the world.
I guess at least we got the indonesia stuff?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Eh, just about everywhere is bad about showing the rest of the world in these things, kinda unfair to single out US for it. It's the nature of such stories, they usually focus on a small set of folks in a general area. The only thing to the contrary I can recall offhand is World War Z.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Just watch The Sadness, #Alive or Train to Busan and pretend the zombies have mushrooms coming out of their heads.

Just don't watch The Night Eats The World, that movie sucks.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
If the US was going down I'd imagine we'd fire our nukes just to gently caress the rest of the world

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mantis42 posted:

Just watch Train to Busan

Evergreen advice :hai:

WHY BONER NOW posted:

If the US was going down I'd imagine we'd fire our nukes just to gently caress the rest of the world

I can't remember if it is in the original published version or the unabridged version Stephen King put out years later, but there's a great (horrifying) scene in The Stand where some military rear end in a top hat straight up just sends the flu out to every country in the world to ensure they're equally destroyed by it. One of the horrifying aspects is that he appears to hold no active malice towards any of these countries, he's just ramrod in his conviction that no America means no world. His underling basically tells him that what is left of the US Government should get down on their knees and kiss his rear end for all his wonderful service as well.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Train to Busan, #Alive, and The Sadness are all great zombie poo poo and don't deal with anything going on outside of Korea/Korea/Taiwan

But I mean they all suck because just like the US and A, they don't discuss the rest of the world. hosed up.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

no but that's the point, you can just watch even more zombie movies from even more countries and just pretend they're in the same universe if it really matters to you

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Train to Busan, #Alive, and The Sadness are all great zombie poo poo and don't deal with anything going on outside of Korea/Korea/Taiwan

But I mean they all suck because just like the US and A, they don't discuss the rest of the world. hosed up.

Yes and Amelie doesn't really talk about Iceland much.

"This movie set in one location doesn't have stuff in other locations" is a bonkers thing to say as a general criticism. At absolute best it's a piece of evidence in a larger conversation about whether something is appropriately focused.

Like, your post isn't mentioning the ongoing situation in Myanmar, is that also a criticism of you?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yes and Amelie doesn't really talk about Iceland much.

"This movie set in one location doesn't have stuff in other locations" is a bonkers thing to say as a general criticism. At absolute best it's a piece of evidence in a larger conversation about whether something is appropriately focused.

Like, your post isn't mentioning the ongoing situation in Myanmar, is that also a criticism of you?

Especially when the premise usually always means international communication/travel has broken down so there wouldn't be many ways to know what's going on elsewhere anyway.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Unacceptable, I need a comprehensive 20+ film ZCU.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

BlackIronHeart posted:

Unacceptable, I need a comprehensive 20+ film ZCU.

This is what World War Z should have been. The book has scenes in India, Israel, China, Russia, Canada, and probably others that I'm forgetting.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Mantis42 posted:

Just watch The Sadness, #Alive or Train to Busan and pretend the zombies have mushrooms coming out of their heads.

Just don't watch The Night Eats The World, that movie sucks.

Cargo is pretty good too, if a bit noble-savage-y.

Jerusalem posted:

I can't remember if it is in the original published version or the unabridged version Stephen King put out years later, but there's a great (horrifying) scene in The Stand where some military rear end in a top hat straight up just sends the flu out to every country in the world to ensure they're equally destroyed by it. One of the horrifying aspects is that he appears to hold no active malice towards any of these countries, he's just ramrod in his conviction that no America means no world. His underling basically tells him that what is left of the US Government should get down on their knees and kiss his rear end for all his wonderful service as well.

Unabridged version. He's the dude who was overseeing the entire virus project, but he doesn't send it out, he activates sleeper agents in China and the USSR who already have custody of virus samples and orders them to let-her-rip. It's a very Cold War "gotta make sure we take the commies down too" moment.

I've always wondered why those chapters were cut from the original version; I think they're some of the most compelling in the book, since the guy in question is the only one who really has a bird's-eye view of the unfolding crisis.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Just starting the show, episode 2, and is this a world without anti-fungal medication or are they specifically saying the cordyceps has no known medicine, or maybe even no possible medicine. Just a thing to accept for the setting for apocalypse to occur or is cordyceps a particular resistant fungus biologically if it made the jump from bugs to mammals?

Taear posted:

American post apoc stuff is really bad about telling us about the rest of the world.
I guess at least we got the indonesia stuff?

Unless they dive into another set of characters or plots, I'm not sure what this would look like or purpose it serves? I would assume things are bad in those countries just like what we are shown... except in different languages sometimes?

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Feb 25, 2023

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Khanstant posted:

Just starting the show, episode 2, and is this a world without anti-fungal medication or are they specifically saying the cordyceps has no known medicine, or maybe even no possible medicine. Just a thing to accept for the setting for apocalypse to occur or is cordyceps a particular resistant fungus biologically if it made the jump from bugs to mammals?

You’re vastly overestimating how effective anti-fungals are while also underestimating how hard it is to actually find or create reliable anti-fungals. They are legit one of the harder things modern medicine still has to tangle with. There are still loads of problems with this as a premise from a realism perspective, it’s a show about zombies, but a fungus is legit one of the “hardest” sci fi reasons to have a rapidly spreading plague of zombies.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Khanstant posted:

It's a real thing where fungal cells are so similar to animal cells that it's difficult to make any medication that won't also harm the host. We have antifungal meds but even moderate antifungal treatment requires constant monitoring to make sure it's not doing serious damage to your internal organs. Treatment for an infection as invasive as cordyceps would essentially be lethal to the host.

All that aside, don't think too hard about the realism of the zombies. While the medication thing is a real-world issue, they are still mostly a fantasy concept.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Xiahou Dun posted:

You’re vastly overestimating how effective anti-fungals are while also underestimating how hard it is to actually find or create reliable anti-fungals. They are legit one of the harder things modern medicine still has to tangle with.

John Madden would never lie to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

GoutPatrol posted:

John Madden would never lie to me

Now I want to see John Madden announcing over a zombie broadcast.