Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I can't attach images in my posts anymore. Browser data error something cutoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Charles Bukowski posted:

I can't attach images in my posts anymore. Browser data error something cutoff.
If you're using the imgur upload there's a limit you have to wait to reset

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
No I'm using plat

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I've had it say a few times that my file browser returned invalid results. Of course now that I try it here it works.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I've had that happen too, but only when using Google Photos to pick a picture. When I switched to Samsung Gallery it worked just fine.

Leper Go-getter
Nov 7, 2010
Hii I think some system based update fix'd the video stuttering (for me). So if it previously seemed like i blamed the app for ruining my life, I am so sorry.
It is ruining my life in other ways thank.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Blehz anything that can be done about a vertical bounding sitting for gif/webm/etc

Absolutely brutal trying to look at OSHA videos on my fold 4. It's trying to fit the width, but really I want to fit it within the height of the device

Ideally some fill height/width/min of the 2 seems like it would be an easy toggle

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Trying to save images and it says the app doesn't have storage permission. I'm in Permission Manager and there's no option to add apps, and I don't seem to have any options in the Awful app settings to request storage perms. Any way for me to allow this?

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

MJP posted:

Trying to save images and it says the app doesn't have storage permission. I'm in Permission Manager and there's no option to add apps, and I don't seem to have any options in the Awful app settings to request storage perms. Any way for me to allow this?

Phone Settings > apps > all apps (if applicable) > awful > permissions

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
For me it doesn't even give me the option to enable access to mess with the permissions of this specific app anymore. I could save images a few months back but not anymore.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Karma Comedian posted:

Phone Settings > apps > all apps (if applicable) > awful > permissions

No luck, permissions is grayed out with the subtitle "no permissions requested".

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

MJP posted:

No luck, permissions is grayed out with the subtitle "no permissions requested".

Same here, Android 13 on a 6a

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Having the same issue here on a Pixel 4 (I'm gonna upgrade soon!!)

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Came here to ask about the image download permissions thing. Same as above

Android 13, s23 ultra

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

MJP posted:

Same here, Android 13, Xperia 5iii.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
How do I refresh the forums listings on the android app? I don't have the new SAD forum listed and I wanna see the fireworks

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

settings, forum index, button at bottom

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
Thanks!

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Those of you having download issues, are you on the beta version of the app? I am and I'm on a pixel 4a 5g with Android 13 and having no issues downloading. Also make sure your WebView is up to date, I know there's been issues itt where that was the culprit. :shrug:

Awful version 3.8.18
Android 13, 5 Feb 2023 security update
Android system WebView version 110.0.5481.65

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I got the new login prompt, randomly in the middle of browsing. I have my username and password saved and the login auto fill put my password in both sections. Not a big deal, but more of a heads up thing.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

The forums have a long but finite login expiration.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Uh, if the Android app never requests permission to either store or access images on my phone, and doesn't have a place for me to manually allow it to do so... How shall I proceed so I can do things with images in posts

Oh whoops I read back and this is a common issue! OK. Plus one from me on a pixel 7

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Yeah looks like if the app never requests permissions, Android's default behavior now in Android 13+ is to block anything the app wants to do that would require those perms.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Skarsnik posted:

No never, not once

Not being :smug: here but its not a universal problem and probably specific to a phone or android version

Goddammit this has started to happen for me now I damand action right away

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Works on my Android 13 device (pixel 4a 5g} :shrug:

Hence why I was asking people having image saving problems what version of awful they're running and make sure WebView is up to date.

"Works" as in it doesn't give me any poo poo about missing permissions, and has no permissions requested. It just downloads pics no problem.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Feature request: Long press on links to copy them.

Reason: I'd rather open some links, especially youtube, in incognito, as they are often posted without context.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Toshimo posted:

Feature request: Long press on links to copy them.

Reason: I'd rather open some links, especially youtube, in incognito, as they are often posted without context.

Settings > Posts > Always Open Links

Toggle that off. Tapping on external links will then open a pop-up with the options of Open, Copy, and Share.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Kheldarn posted:

Settings > Posts > Always Open Links

Toggle that off. Tapping on external links will then open a pop-up with the options of Open, Copy, and Share.

You can't make me do that. You're not my real dad.

Thanks

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I just updated WebView (it was installed but did have an update) no change, I'm not a developer but I think this is the crux of it

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/73620790/android-13-how-to-request-write-external-storage

There's definitely a change under the hood in Android 13 about how apps are allowed to write files and specifically how granular permissions are to be requested for Android 13 and up.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Clicking on videos from embedded tweets in the app has made them super choppy and slow loading, no matter what wifi/data I'm on. This is a Pixel 6 pro.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

Clicking on videos from embedded tweets in the app has made them super choppy and slow loading, no matter what wifi/data I'm on. This is a Pixel 6 pro.

Outside of Awful, this has been happening for a while for me for Twitter embeds. On Discord, Signal, you name it. I think the Twitter API is just breaking down.

There is a workaround - there are third party twitter embedders, for instance if you replace the "twitter.com" by "fxtwitter.com" the embedded video is cached via another server. It works great for Discord web.

Might be worth investigating if it's worth for the app to autoreplace them.

archduke.iago
Mar 1, 2011

Nostalgia used to be so much better.

Is anyone else having trouble with spoilered text or thumbnailed images? I can't reveal/expand them all of a sudden on Android 13.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

archduke.iago posted:

Is anyone else having trouble with spoilered text or thumbnailed images? I can't reveal/expand them all of a sudden on Android 13.

Testing on my Pixel 4a running Android 13.

Edit: works for me.

Thumbnail further up in this tread also worked.

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.
Another one on the pile for unable to save images. Just switched phones to a Pixel 7, everything up to date etc. Worked on my 4a also running Android 13 right until I switched, though.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

A fix for the Android 13 download issue is on it's way to the beta users. Let's see how many weeks it takes this time :v:

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

GoutPatrol posted:

Yeah, this is a Twitter problem. I have to go to the site/app to watch them.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Imp zone threads will randomly hang while trying to load until I force close the app and reload it. Also it tries to show me sigs in imp zone even though I have them turned off on mobile.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

vortmax posted:

Yeah, this is a Twitter problem. I have to go to the site/app to watch them.

Same. It seems to be Twitter making GBS threads the bed further. Shocking i know.

If you don't want to open the link you can pay the video then touch the video and move it up and down slowly and it plays pretty well.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I would also try to uninstall updates from the WebView back to what the phone came from, then try and see if it still happens.

rodbeard posted:

Imp zone threads will randomly hang while trying to load until I force close the app and reload it. Also it tries to show me sigs in imp zone even though I have them turned off on mobile.

Both are not happening for me. Can you give an example of pages where this happens?
Also what type of device are you using?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I have a TCL 30XL. It seems to be happening in just any thread in imp zone sporadically but it happened in this one yesterday: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4020915&pagenumber=211&perpage=40

Also I've attached a screenshot of the app trying to show me one person's sign but not the poster below them so I guess the sign issue is limited to just a few posters but I can look at a post from Arch Nemesis in FYAD and it won't try to attach their sig.