Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Is there some obvious way to load bulky stuff into vehicles/storage without them passing through my inventory that I'm missing?

I came across a campground that had a working car, so I broke down some picnic tables to bring back a bunch of firewood. I dragged the planks to the car but my character drops them on the ground when I move into the trunk spot. Wielding and dropping the planks into the car one by one would just be godawful. Surely there's a better way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

There is but I cannot remember the commands because it’s been so long since I played, lol. Hopefully someone will explain, alternatively check the key binds. It’s a lovely menu that lets you shift items from the squares around you, your inventory, or containers such as a car trunk.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I think the key for that menu is /. Then you can shift objects between any of the adjacent squares, your inventory, and/or a vehicle you're dragging*, including like "move everything on this square into that square." It rules.

*"Dragging" just means "grabbing" so you can totally do this with vehicles you can't move.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I'll check that out thank you

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

megane posted:

I think the key for that menu is /. Then you can shift objects between any of the adjacent squares, your inventory, and/or a vehicle you're dragging*, including like "move everything on this square into that square." It rules.

*"Dragging" just means "grabbing" so you can totally do this with vehicles you can't move.

The Advanced Inventory Manager is indeed very nifty. You don't actually even need to grab a vehicle to place inside it, either; if you target a space that contains a vehicle/appliance cargo space it'll by default go there, indicated by the <V> in the minimap. You can then press 'v' to toggle between that and the ground beneath.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So on the thread's advice I picked up that Sky Island mod and to my surprise I've been having a blast. I survived my fifth trip to the world and apparently that means I've unlocked a higher difficulty. I've done some side missions, gotten some warp shards and the rewards you can buy with them, and am overall just enjoying myself.
The biggest surprise I think is how okay this makes me with dying. I gave up on permadeath ages ago so now I just play C:DDA with careful use of the quickload feature to savescum with some personal stipulations. It removes a lot of the risk and tension, but I prefer that to losing a character from not peeking one corner.

Last raid, my only real goal was to gather more materials to build a little shack on the island so I could on a more comfortable, permanent base. I had the metal and wood warp bags with me, scooping up what I could. On my way to the exit, which wasn't far, I bumped into a small town with an electronics store. Zombies on my side seemed thin so I climbed to the top for a better vantage, and realized that now every zombie in town could see me. I had to try some unorthodox moves, like dropping my backpack over the edge to help ensure I wouldn't fall and hurt myself when trying to climb off the roof (I did anyway), and staying away from a grappler near the edge who tried to pull me down into the crowd. I had two unsuccessful attempts to leave that left me scurrying back to the roof, very injured, and in any other playthrough, that's when I would have loaded my game. Told myself it was one simple mistake, more a misunderstanding of the system than anything, and so it was fine to load. I had to really fight the instinct to savescum.

Instead, I dropped down to a blind alley when a police bot showed up and sprinted away, leaving some important gear behind but barely managing to get to safety at the outskirts of town. I was beaten, lost a lot of important items, but alive.
My stats were hurting so badly my STR was down to 4, and warp sickness hadn't even set in yet. Speed and DEX so low I would have been lunchmeat for even a basic zombie. Still, the exit wasn't far and I limped my way there. Then I saw an isolated motel a few tiles away and instead of making the smart decision to just cut my losses and leave with my warp bags and planks, I pushed my luck. Still had my pistol and a single spare magazine, so I shot up the place. Zombies kept coming out of the rooms and thank god one dropped an AR basically right at my feet. Picked it up and started blasting, finally cleared it out. Grabbed a ton more materials, more big backpacks for future trips, and even a baton to replace the one I'd lost in town. Still bleeding but now much better stocked, I strolled home and popped out.

It's a lot of fun so far and more than anything I really am glad that, after having so long ingrained the savescum mentality, I found a way to go back to accepting death. I guess when you just lose a couple hours to a fuckup and not a week or two of building a long-term character, it's easier to accept a loss. Definitely brings back that tension. And I'm really not used to any kind of time limit in C:DDA, so having to hurry up to reach a certain point, even if it means traveling recklessly through unexplored territory or cutting through a city's edge, is a new experience for sure. Also never built a house from scratch and it's incredible how fast you go through planks and panels.
Thanks for the mod suggestion. Oh, and a tip, you can smash dumpsters to get steel frames. Beats disassembling cars, especially if you're playing No Hope like I am and they're mostly junk anyway.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jan 31, 2023

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

This loving rules and I can confidently say I am having a very similar experience all around in pretty much every way. The dumpster strat is also absolutely a pro move that I hadn't even considered and will definitely use in the future. My alternate solution was to take a sledgehammer into one run that was dedicated to getting to the exit, finding the nearest car, and using all of the available time to absolutely junk that motherfucker.

One of the wildest things I noticed about myself while playing with the mod was how hype I get whenever there's a derelict building, since they have a chance to spawn a few hundred nails, and while it's not all that difficult to craft a bunch of them calories are at a premium and I would prefer spending my time winter-proofing my island now that I'm halfway through Fall. With the windchill as nuts as it is, it's going to get loving cold.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I happened to luck into something like 2000 nails at a construction site so I was set for a while.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I found a Sig in 357 with just about 100 rounds of ammo. Some book reading and practice later, I went to the town id been poking at the edges of.

Blasting each zombie once for ~half their health and a bleed, then dancing around in the thicket of rose bushes sure is effective, but boring.

E: I just went through a gun store that had exactly zero rounds of ammo. Nada. How

Arrath fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 2, 2023

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Arrath posted:

E: I just went through a gun store that had exactly zero rounds of ammo. Nada. How

This has been literally every gun store for me in CDDA, ever. I have better odds of finding a loaded gun on a random zombie corpse than getting anything from one of those death traps.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I haven’t played/updated in a month or two but I got a similar vibe from military surplus stores last time I played. I used to be able to grab 10+ MREs from milsurp. Last time I played, it was a loving near restart to get…some tent parts I think?

TBH I’m okay with that change because MREs used to trivialize the food hunt. Also ~realistic~ because we all know they have MREs, you just didn’t get there in time.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

You can still find completely filled stores, but destroyed/looted seem more common now than in the past.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Yeah all zombies seem to have a chance to be carrying some backpack full of food, a gun and ammo now. Nice ammo, even. Found some of the 9mm ++ stuff in bulk for once.

A4 Steak Sauce
May 9, 2016
Is there a damage/AoE cap on explosions in this game? I may have a stupid idea involving a sulfurous anthill, a pickup truck and a worryingly large amount of ANFO.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Is burning down buildings still a good way to get nails in the latest experimental?

Been enjoying the sky island mod by the by

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

tokin opposition posted:

Is burning down buildings still a good way to get nails in the latest experimental?

Been enjoying the sky island mod by the by

IIRC no, it was changed that they don't really drop nails anymore--though you might have trouble burning down a building to get them within the time limit of a raid anyway. Best locations I've found are Construction Sites, and the various broken down and boarded up buildings that spawn in fields--they can have piles of around 1000 that spawn inside. You can make it easier to spot them, too, in case they're out of your field of view by turning Auto Notes for map details on, they appear as a gray ^

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Sab Sabbington posted:

IIRC no, it was changed that they don't really drop nails anymore--though you might have trouble burning down a building to get them within the time limit of a raid anyway. Best locations I've found are Construction Sites, and the various broken down and boarded up buildings that spawn in fields--they can have piles of around 1000 that spawn inside. You can make it easier to spot them, too, in case they're out of your field of view by turning Auto Notes for map details on, they appear as a gray ^

Thanks for the advice! :)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Apparently the next stable version of DDA is petty soon and Sky Island guy was excited to integrate some of the things it’ll introduce into his mod, but I can’t remember the details.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I've been doing fungal infection starts a lot for those sweet, sweet 8 extra points and I had the most amazing start today:

- In a library with good books, not detected by any zombies
- 4 buildings with 1-wide gaps between them so I can jump from roof to roof
- I grab a tailor's kit and burn down the clothing store to attract all the nearby mobs
- Pull down a few curtains, grab a plank, and bash a water heater: it's homewrecker time
- One of the north buildings is a pharmacy, I go into a dumpster, bash through the wall, and there's an antifungal right there
- One of the corpses in the clothing store has a silenced MP5

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Dropped back into this with a bang. Mine start, walked out somewhat poisoned but alive. Immediately found a military barricade at a bridge with an intact Humvee, turret with 40 rounds of ammo and a jerrycan of extra fuel in the back. My character living a charmed life.

Having charged into the nearest large town with the above, I don’t actually remember how I used to clear them. Without being able to run over hundred of zombies with your armoured truck, it must be painfully slow.

The other tactic I quickly found was a rude police bot trying to arrest me for “stealing” and “throwing things at the eyebot”, and then luring it into what looked like the triple figure zombies which came steaming out a pair of parks. Tied each other up quite nicely.

Died to a bunch of mutant cockroaches in a basement. Tougher than I remember.

Also quick question,

I’ve tried with multiple different worlds to do an island prison start, but it always says it failed to find one in each world. Have I just been really unlucky or does the game just really struggle to generate them?

Real Cool Catfish fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 11, 2023

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yeah cockroaches seem incredibly strong and I have no idea what it is that makes them so. Just really accurate I guess? Really fast?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Animals in general are usually faster than zombies so they tend to get attacks in more reliably.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Trying out the latest experimental. Fuckin cardboard boxes. Is there any easy way to peek inside them without picking them up or is just destroying them the way to go?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Unintuitively, I find that the advanced inventory, which I use for everything else, is no longer very good for looting. Instead I tend to use g or e a lot, because in those menus you can hit > to open up containers (even gun magazines) to take the contents directly without having to interact with the container itself, so you don't need to mess with unloading or zones or anything like that. Hopefully one day the advanced inventory will let you do the same, because unloading containers is really the most obnoxious part by a long shot.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Vib Rib posted:

Unintuitively, I find that the advanced inventory, which I use for everything else, is no longer very good for looting. Instead I tend to use g or e a lot, because in those menus you can hit > to open up containers (even gun magazines) to take the contents directly without having to interact with the container itself, so you don't need to mess with unloading or zones or anything like that. Hopefully one day the advanced inventory will let you do the same, because unloading containers is really the most obnoxious part by a long shot.

I actually fixed this and it should be added in the experimental release after the next stable.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Pigbuster posted:

I actually fixed this and it should be added in the experimental release after the next stable.

Hell yeah, thank you. I like the pocket system, my biggest problem with it has been the clunky UI.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona
Does anyone know if there's a consistent way to mitigate/avoid the new Flaming Eye's Tainted Mind effect? Seeing them broadly means I just hit da bricks immediately, but it's also made exploring things like the above ground Research Lab extremely Not Likely To Happen and I miss some of those big dumb buildings with millions of the same rooms which are (mostly) being phased out.

IIRC Tainted Mind was an effect from a different enemy that was shifted to the Flaming Eye when they removed the Flaming Eye's ranged attack, so any old solutions would probably work.

Unrelated to that: I finally got around to trying out a Sky Island run with Magiclysm, and outside of having to be very careful not to hit the Warp Home debug spell it works very well, though it's unsurprisingly much easier with access to certain things Druid is actually incredible--the summoned bow with the Nature's Bow spell is loving broken

I'd recommend reducing the time for seasons to progress, though, since the standard rate absolutely means you'll be over prepared when Winter comes along so if you want some additional challenge you should consider some tweaks.

Sab Sabbington fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 20, 2023

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Spells seem like incredibly handy things to have, since you can lose your equipment but not your spells. Being able to make light, shoot ranged projectiles, or summon objects with no equipment would sure turn the tides.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..
Sky island mod is BARELY making it tolerable to deal with pockets, but I wish there were a way to make a new pond tile in my base so I could farm fish with a trap. Animal breeding apparently happens once a year so that doesn't seem sustainable, and I am constitutionally incapable of making my way to a warp point without filling up my backpack with a ton of incidental poo poo even if I'm trying to focus on just collecting planks or bodies or whatever.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

CK07 posted:

Sky island mod is BARELY making it tolerable to deal with pockets, but I wish there were a way to make a new pond tile in my base so I could farm fish with a trap. Animal breeding apparently happens once a year so that doesn't seem sustainable, and I am constitutionally incapable of making my way to a warp point without filling up my backpack with a ton of incidental poo poo even if I'm trying to focus on just collecting planks or bodies or whatever.

Chickens/eggs?

Soon you will have too many (maybe I haven't touched this game for months)

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

Flagstaff, Arizona

CK07 posted:

If food is an issue you can literally entirely survive off of milking a cow every day to the point where it feels like an exploit and I don't do it anymore. A pond where I could fish would be super loving rad though mostly because I think it would be cool to have--overall if you plant a lot of grains in spring you can really stock up quickly for when food is more scarce.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

So I'm trying to do the Valhallaist evacuation mission and it's bugged. I can't get any of them to follow me so I think the mission is completely hosed. Is there a way to use the debug menu to complete the mission or a way to work around it?

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

Telsa Cola posted:

Chickens/eggs?

Soon you will have too many (maybe I haven't touched this game for months)

This is probably what I should do, just can't remember where the hell I saw chickens and I didn't grab one because I didn't have a proper container.

Sab Sabbington posted:

If food is an issue you can literally entirely survive off of milking a cow every day to the point where it feels like an exploit and I don't do it anymore. A pond where I could fish would be super loving rad though mostly because I think it would be cool to have--overall if you plant a lot of grains in spring you can really stock up quickly for when food is more scarce.

Similar problem with cow. I have definitely planted a ton of food at the earliest opportunity, and fertilized about a third of it to spread out the harvest and preservation work a little. But I think I still want a meat source. This is a homesteading game, right?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

CK07 posted:

This is probably what I should do, just can't remember where the hell I saw chickens and I didn't grab one because I didn't have a proper container.

Similar problem with cow. I have definitely planted a ton of food at the earliest opportunity, and fertilized about a third of it to spread out the harvest and preservation work a little. But I think I still want a meat source. This is a homesteading game, right?

Do fish still lay eggs, maybe snag some of those for your pond.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

Telsa Cola posted:

Do fish still lay eggs, maybe snag some of those for your pond.

Not sure if they do, but also I can't seem to make a pond de novo...

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I wanted to be wolverine in the game and stop using .50 cal for everything challenging - does anyone know how I would make Bionic Claws act as an unarmed weapon again?

I've tried giving it the UNARMED_WEAPON flag, tried putting it in the unarmed weapons json.. nothing working yet.

double edit: There we go - had to add the weapon type to the martialarts.json

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 26, 2023

Mountain Lightning
Aug 8, 2008

Romance Dawn For
The New World!

Testekill posted:

So I'm trying to do the Valhallaist evacuation mission and it's bugged. I can't get any of them to follow me so I think the mission is completely hosed. Is there a way to use the debug menu to complete the mission or a way to work around it?

I think the latest experimentals fixed this, at least the changelog put it that way.

You can also brute-force it, in a way. Once you talk to them and get them 'following' you, you can push them and they won't move. Using that and 'swap positions' from the interaction menu, you can get them into a car. You only need to get them into the gate for the mission to count as successful. It's still a hassle, but it's a way around it.

Edit: at least for when it happened to me, you might get people on the roof or a second floor or wherever they spawn. If that happens, to get them down, you need to push them to an edge (window, roof, and so on), then bust up the wall until either that wall chunk collapses, they fall down, or they (possibly) move to investigate the noise.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I haven't really figured out how to make a primarily melee character work for endgame level enemies. Works fine for clearing out the small fry, but once you're up against a zombie brute or hulk those just seem to toss you around without caring about your strength or armor.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Inadequately posted:

I haven't really figured out how to make a primarily melee character work for endgame level enemies. Works fine for clearing out the small fry, but once you're up against a zombie brute or hulk those just seem to toss you around without caring about your strength or armor.

Unless something's changed since last time I did this you can still trip and stun the larger zombies, so use a martial art which is good at doing that. Preferably one which also makes you attack faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
0.G is out: https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/releases/tag/0.G