Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

i just finished both Silence and Fires on the Plain, and Canticle for Leibowitz and The Book of the New Sun are two of my all time favorite novels. what are some similarly unique/complex/outsider works on catholicism? i've been trudging through The Name of the Rose for what feels like years now, but i crave more

Not what you're asking for but I'd like to remind everyone that Graham Greene's Catholic novels exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Are there any cases of writers effectively emulating the experience of deja vu in fiction?

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

i just finished both Silence and Fires on the Plain, and Canticle for Leibowitz and The Book of the New Sun are two of my all time favorite novels. what are some similarly unique/complex/outsider works on catholicism? i've been trudging through The Name of the Rose for what feels like years now, but i crave more

A case of Conscience by James Blish

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Following on the Graham Greene recommendation -- read The Power and the Glory.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

magic cactus posted:

A case of Conscience by James Blish

While I like A Case of Conscience, it's also worthwhile to read this Jesuit critique of Blish's interpretation.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.

Selachian posted:

While I like A Case of Conscience, it's also worthwhile to read this Jesuit critique of Blish's interpretation.

Oh yeah for sure Blish has some... departures in his story (I debated bringing this up.) I just see it as a strong precursor to stuff like the Sparrow.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

TheCog posted:

This is the David Weber's Safehold series.

Appreciate that, thanks for the help.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Just finished reading His Dark Materials / Book Of Dust to the kids, what's something good we can dive into next? They're 10 and 8 but enjoy a lot. Done Harry Potter and Narnia too.

I asked google and got this list, and it looks like there's a few they'd probably enjoy (Exhalation, To Say Nothing of The Dog, The Bone Clocks), but they all seem Adult. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing (we just did SpaceBoy by David Walliams and it felt weird to be doing something so silly), but are there any books or series I'm missing?

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Feb 21, 2023

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Link is dead but maybe Garth Nix, if they liked His Dark Materials.
The Keys to the Kingdom is aimed squarely at kids, while the Old Kingdom books are YA but good fun.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

CaptainCrunch posted:

Link is dead but maybe Garth Nix, if they liked His Dark Materials.
The Keys to the Kingdom is aimed squarely at kids, while the Old Kingdom books are YA but good fun.

Ooh and Australian too, looks great thank you.

And link is fixed thanks sorry.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Just to name some things off the top of my head...

Treasure Island stands up remarkably well for its age. Then there's The Hobbit, which is great for that age range. Oh, and pretty much anything by Diana Wynne Jones should be perfect. Theres also the Phantom Tollbooth, the various works of Roald Dahl, and maybe The Wizard of Earthsea.

arrowdust
Jan 26, 2015

I read dozens and dozens of books as a kid / young adult and almost anything by Tamora Pierce stands head and shoulders above the rest. Try the Circle of Magic series first.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Just finished reading His Dark Materials / Book Of Dust to the kids, what's something good we can dive into next? They're 10 and 8 but enjoy a lot. Done Harry Potter and Narnia too.

I asked google and got this list, and it looks like there's a few they'd probably enjoy (Exhalation, To Say Nothing of The Dog, The Bone Clocks), but they all seem Adult. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing (we just did SpaceBoy by David Walliams and it felt weird to be doing something so silly), but are there any books or series I'm missing?

The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper

The Borribles by Michael De Larrabeiti

City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau

Watership Down by Richard Adams

Rikki Tikki Tavi by Rudyard Kipling

Keeper of the Lost Cities by Shannon Messenger

Ordinary Jack by Helen Cresswell

The Blue Sword By Robin McKinley

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaimen

Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Goodnight Mr. Tom by Michelle Magorian

Hatchett by Gary Paulson

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

As a few "classics" have already been mentioned; Alan Garner.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I like The Bone Clocks, but it is reeeeeallly not a kids' book.

I'd second the recommendations of Diana Wynne Jones, Susan Cooper, The Phantom Tollbooth, and Alan Garner, and also throw in Lloyd Alexander (The Book of Three et al) and John Bellairs (The House with a Clock in Its Walls et al). Catherynne Valente also has a fun kids' trilogy that starts with The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making.

If your kids liked Pullman, his Sally Lockhart series (The Ruby in the Smoke, Shadow in the North, The Tiger in the Well, The Tin Princess) is good too.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Well I certainly came to the right place, thanks all. Can't wait to get stuck into them.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Well I certainly came to the right place, thanks all. Can't wait to get stuck into them.

Are you a bookmark?

caspergers
Oct 1, 2021
Need something similar to King's IT or Langan's Fisherman, but more in the way of its history. What I loved most about these is the investigatory nature of the books, "So and so told me..." Doesn't have to be horror. Also my favorite plot in thread in Game of Thrones (didn't read the books) is Ned's investigation into the King's lineage, so something along those lines as well. I guess maybe detective stories are the way to go?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

At that age the Sherlock Holmes stories might be a good fit - most can be read in an evening, but they might still be a bit of a high bar for independent reading.

newts
Oct 10, 2012

caspergers posted:

Need something similar to King's IT or Langan's Fisherman, but more in the way of its history. What I loved most about these is the investigatory nature of the books, "So and so told me..." Doesn't have to be horror. Also my favorite plot in thread in Game of Thrones (didn't read the books) is Ned's investigation into the King's lineage, so something along those lines as well. I guess maybe detective stories are the way to go?

Maybe House of Leaves? I read that quite a long time ago and I remembered the investigatory history was a big part of it. I know it’s popular here, so maybe other goons can chime in.

Also, a little different, but I always recommend the Charlie Parker Mysteries by John Connolly for anyone interested in Stephen King’s forays into the sordid history of small towns. The way Connolly writes reminds me a lot of that. The first is the the weakest, but then they pick up. I’d call them horror or supernatural mysteries.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

caspergers posted:

How about Flicker by Theodore Roszak?

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

caspergers posted:

A Lush and Seething Hell by John Hornor Jacobs. Both stories have kinda investigative narratives, with the first being about a mysterious manuscript manifesting bad things in a fictional South American country and the second being about a preserver trying to find the origin of a supernatural folk song.

neurotech
Apr 22, 2004

Deep in my dreams and I still hear her callin'
If you're alone, I'll come home.

I’m looking for recommendations for non-fiction books specifically about what it’s like to be a sniper.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

neurotech posted:

I’m looking for recommendations for non-fiction books specifically about what it’s like to be a sniper.

I've only ever read an excerpt that was published in The New Yorker (Or Wired maybe? it was a long time ago) but "Jarhead" is written by a sniper in the marine corps about his experiences. I've never seen the film, partially because what I read of the book was so visceral and awful.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

yaffle posted:

I've only ever read an excerpt that was published in The New Yorker (Or Wired maybe? it was a long time ago) but "Jarhead" is written by a sniper in the marine corps about his experiences. I've never seen the film, partially because what I read of the book was so visceral and awful.

The sequels are better

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

neurotech posted:

On Killing has some of this. Just be aware that the writer is a loving psycho fascist. However, it does offer a pretty interesting model of the psychology of combat as it’s changed with the technologies and techniques of modern warfare. I also haven’t read it in like 20 years now so I may be getting it mixed up a lot!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

neurotech posted:

One of the people on my college fencing team was an ex-sniper. He was one of the nicest people on the team, but he was also drunk 100% of the time. He'd even bring beers into the practice room and drink between bouts. I'm not a very empathetic person but he was obviously traumatized by what he'd done. He had endless stories about all the places he'd been but would absolutely not talk about any of the things he'd done while on duty.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I really want to read compelling accounts of being disillusioned/deprogrammed from a belief system.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

FPyat posted:

I really want to read compelling accounts of being disillusioned/deprogrammed from a belief system.

I enjoyed Robert Kaufman's Inside Scientology: How I Joined Scientology and Became Superhuman (not to be confused with Janet Reitman's later book, also titled Inside Scientology).

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

caspergers posted:

Devil House by John Darnielle

It's a novel about a true crime writer researching supposedly Satanic murders in small-town California, only a little weirder than that sounds.

rollick fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Feb 27, 2023

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

FPyat posted:

If you're asking the question you probably know but Steve Hassan left a major cult and has written deeply about the experience and is now a big voice in the deprogramming space.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'm back with a new craving: gothic horror fantasy novels. I've been playing Diablo 1-3 and 1 especially has this just, grim awful lore of demons corrupting even angels and such. Off the top of my head and after some google searches I've discovered I want to read more Michael Moorcock (Elric especially) and Chelsea Quinn Yarbro (she has a horror novel set in a nunnery during the black plague) - but I should ask here! What else is out there in the gothic horror fantasy realm? Action not required. Christian imagery would be a lovely bonus. I know I need to read Between Two Fires.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Howls From the Dark Ages has some good stuff in it. But seriously, read 2 Fires

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm back with a new craving: gothic horror fantasy novels. I've been playing Diablo 1-3 and 1 especially has this just, grim awful lore of demons corrupting even angels and such. Off the top of my head and after some google searches I've discovered I want to read more Michael Moorcock (Elric especially) and Chelsea Quinn Yarbro (she has a horror novel set in a nunnery during the black plague) - but I should ask here! What else is out there in the gothic horror fantasy realm? Action not required. Christian imagery would be a lovely bonus. I know I need to read Between Two Fires.

read it its literally everything you want and is excellent

His Black Tongue is a good short story collection

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's been a while since I recommended Tanith Lee, so: Tanith Lee. Especially the Paradys and Flat Earth books, and definitely Red As Blood.

I've actually read the Yarbro you mention -- A Mortal Glamour, right? -- and it's pretty good.

And there's Karl Edward Wagner's Kane books if you want to see what happens when you mix gothic fantasy with Conan.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

There’s some books set in the Diablo universe, but I don’t think they’re really good?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

StrixNebulosa posted:

There's always the classics:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Frantically scribbling down a list, totalling it up in amazon, anticipating good reading. Thank you all!

Mano posted:

There’s some books set in the Diablo universe, but I don’t think they’re really good?

Yeah I'm trying to avoid those, as I haven't had a good record with Blizzard tie-in novels. Somehow I still own like three Starcraft novels.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

One of my favorite genres of reading is Historical fiction. I've always been interested in classical history, and antiquity, particularly the Egyptian, Greek, and Roman civilizations. Today I want to recommend one of my favorite book trilogies by author Christian Jacq (well known for his books in the genre); the Judge of Egypt trilogy.

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/6966184

The book itself focuses around the reign of King Ramses II, and a plot aimed at toppling his reign and causing anarchy in the kingdom. The main character is a young, honest, uncorruptible judge from the countryside who gets newly appointed to a position in the city of Memphis, who stumbles on a stray clue that quickly leads him investigating down a dark road of murder, corruption, and treason while firmly maintaining his honesty and integrity, while professing to only seek the truth, according to the law of the goddess Ma'at, and nothing more. He gets a female lead in a young doctor, who also plays an important role in the plot, and has a blood-brother who helps him in his investigations both openly and with skulduggery. The judge also has a foil in a honest Medjay policeman who was falsely accused and had his nose cut off, but whose name is cleared by the judge and subsequently helps him in his trials and investigations. And the police officer even has a baboon assistant that's particularly fierce! It paints a beautiful picture, if occasionally idealized, of how life looked like in those days, has a few pretty engaging plot twists, and keeps the ball rolling well almost throughout without any chapters seeming dry or out of place/digressing from the narrative. It's well worth at least one read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I'm looking for science fiction that has good moment-to-moment space battles.

Some examples:

Surface detail, from the Culture series, where a particularly high-end battle ship fights several enemy ships at once and narrates the whole thing.
A scene from Andor, the Star Wars TV show, where a ship is caught in a tractor beam and the pilot calmly takes steps to get himself out of the tractor beam, and away.
Leviathan Wakes, from the Expanse series, where a battleship is attacked by several smaller ships and characters are surprised that the battle has gone on for as long as it has.

Basically these scenes are not too flashy, but detailed, and well-told, and I'd like more of that in science fiction books, please.

Edit: In case it comes up, I've read Scott Westerfeld's The Risen Empire. It has a lot of detailed ship to ship combat in it, so I thought someone might mention it.

ahobday fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 8, 2023