Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

This is all I think of when it comes to The Crew. They made a big deal about licensing American race tracks that you could just go to and then produced one of the laziest renditions of Laguna Seca possible.
https://youtu.be/wQrbiYmFhqM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

that's barely even laguna seca

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
at least they got the pedestrian bridge right

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Laguna Sorta

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MrYenko posted:

Laguna Sorta

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Lmao

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Will it press? The laguna seca corkscrew

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

MrYenko posted:

Laguna Sorta

'bout time for a new thread title

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Homeless Friend posted:

Will it press? The laguna seca corkscrew

The corkscrew was extremely dangerous and they had to deal with it.

Bomb-omb Texting
Sep 24, 2009
I'm planning to upgrade my setup, currently using ancient DFGT, the wheel still feels acceptable for my level driving, but pedals are utter poo poo, specially the brake. I'm planning to get Fanatec CLS pedals with Load Cell kit, or go for something like G29? I sorta want clutch for "immersion" since i'm building DIY h-shifter.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Absolutely get load cell brakes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Load cell brake pedal is the best upgrade you can do.

Bomb-omb Texting
Sep 24, 2009
Okay! Thanks. I'll get those then.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Bomb-omb Texting posted:

Okay! Thanks. I'll get those then.

I did that same upgrade last summer and it's been great.

Do you have a rig to bolt everything to? The big mistake I made was underestimating how much more force I had to apply to the pedals than with the cheap spring loaded ones. An office chair and setting the pedals against a wall didn't cut it any more.

Bomb-omb Texting
Sep 24, 2009

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I did that same upgrade last summer and it's been great.

Do you have a rig to bolt everything to? The big mistake I made was underestimating how much more force I had to apply to the pedals than with the cheap spring loaded ones. An office chair and setting the pedals against a wall didn't cut it any more.

I have a heavily modified Wheelstand Pro V2 to mount my Wheel and HOTAS setup for flying, planning to either get lockable wheels to my office chair, or DIY something to link/lock my chair to the wheelstand. L shaped metal bar to hook wheels or something.

Don't really have a space for full rig.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Bomb-omb Texting posted:

I have a heavily modified Wheelstand Pro V2 to mount my Wheel and HOTAS setup for flying, planning to either get lockable wheels to my office chair, or DIY something to link/lock my chair to the wheelstand. L shaped metal bar to hook wheels or something.

Don't really have a space for full rig.

Definitely do the locking bar. Locking wheels alone won't keep you from tipping your chair backwards which is very likely with the super stiff LC pedals.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I had a driving force pro.and upgraded to the cls LC pedals and it was the right first step in the upgrade path. I use a length of Paracord tied to one leg of my wheelstand and then wrap that around the column of my office chair and then clip to the other leg, holds me in place pretty good but you definitely notice the flex of the chair with the LC pedals.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Locking casters for the office chair is what I did and it worked perfectly. They're like $20 on amazon and the roller-blade style wheels (clear) are just nicer to have on hardwood anyways.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Locking casters for the office chair is what I did and it worked perfectly. They're like $20 on amazon and the roller-blade style wheels (clear) are just nicer to have on hardwood anyways.

This.. I have a vinyl floor in the basement.. My wheelstand goes on a lovely yoga mat from 5 below and I use rollerblade wheels on my chair and have no issues with tipping over.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

I bought a Logitech 923 to dip my feet into sim racing.

I have previously played a lot of Forza Horizon with a controller (not much Forza).

For some reason I have a bunch of the recommended games from the OP - probably a racing bundle I bought on Humble Bundle at some point.

I tried driving a few different cars in Assetto Corsa 2, Assetto Corsa Competizione, Project Cars 2 and Automobilista 2.

First few impressions were I should probably turn off the apex lines as that seems like a bad habit to learn to follow that instead of the actual track. The one thing I've been having a hard time with is figuring out how to get some sense of progression - it doesn't seem like most of these games follow the usual racing game progression where you start out as a newbie with small cars with no power and move through the ranks in a career mode?

It feels, cheaty is not the right word, but kind of weird that I just get dropped into a "junior" Lambo team with an incredibly powerful supercar in ACC and then told to try and get around Monza (although incredibly fun), but it seems like I should give it a go in a bit lower class cars and learn some fundamentals?

Are there any basics I should get down from the beginning to not get bad habits out of the gate? Thinking like:

1) Any settings I should get used to adjusting while racing? TC or ABS?
2) Any changes to the force feedback or wheel settings in general - it seems a bit different in all of the games I tried and some didn't even support the 923 and the mapping of buttons was all over the place?
3) I started out doing some of the GT championships in Automobilista 2 and that seems to give some of the progression I feel like doing - the others don't really seem to focus on a career mode?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

refleks posted:

First few impressions were I should probably turn off the apex lines as that seems like a bad habit to learn to follow that instead of the actual track. The one thing I've been having a hard time with is figuring out how to get some sense of progression - it doesn't seem like most of these games follow the usual racing game progression where you start out as a newbie with small cars with no power and move through the ranks in a career mode?

It feels, cheaty is not the right word, but kind of weird that I just get dropped into a "junior" Lambo team with an incredibly powerful supercar in ACC and then told to try and get around Monza (although incredibly fun), but it seems like I should give it a go in a bit lower class cars and learn some fundamentals?

Are there any basics I should get down from the beginning to not get bad habits out of the gate? Thinking like:

2) Any changes to the force feedback or wheel settings in general - it seems a bit different in all of the games I tried and some didn't even support the 923 and the mapping of buttons was all over the place?
3) I started out doing some of the GT championships in Automobilista 2 and that seems to give some of the progression I feel like doing - the others don't really seem to focus on a career mode?

You have the right idea to turn off the racing line, learning tracks by yourself and finding your own braking points and lines will make you faster long term. Progression isn't really a thing in modern sim racing, every game that's tried it in the past has generally just had it modded out almost immediately so now you're just given a pile of content and told to go nuts. Most games these days are tuned for Logitech wheels right out the box since they're the most popular so don't worry too much about FFB, though look up how to check for FFB clipping in various games and make sure you're not putting too much force into it. Button mapping the only things I'd make sure are set correctly are pit speed limiters and Most games now also have a "real" setting for ABS and TC since a lot of real world racing cars have them, so I'd recommend that because driving a GT3 car with ABS and TC disabled is neither fun nor realistic. Championships are really all you're going to find for major single player content, ACC has various real world GT championships since it's the licensed SRO GT game, Automobilista has the Stock Car Brasil license so has the complete real world championship for those alongside some others and a custom championship tool.

For AMS2 specifically since it's the game I play most often I'd recommend trying the Formula Trainer or Formula Vee cars, they're slower open wheelers that are designed to teach you basic car control, pretty much every sandbox sim racing game has one of these. From there look at the GT4/Formula 3 stuff or just try out whatever you think looks cool. I'm a big fan of the Sprint Race cars personally, but what you come in expecting to like might not be what you end up enjoying most. You may find you end up in love with 1970s touring cars.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

refleks posted:

I bought a Logitech 923 to dip my feet into sim racing.

I have previously played a lot of Forza Horizon with a controller (not much Forza).

For some reason I have a bunch of the recommended games from the OP - probably a racing bundle I bought on Humble Bundle at some point.

I tried driving a few different cars in Assetto Corsa 2, Assetto Corsa Competizione, Project Cars 2 and Automobilista 2.

Welcome to the hobby!

I can tell by the questions you're asking that you might really enjoy the iRacing experience, which is where all of us spend most of our time and do endurance races with each other etc. iRacing starts you in relatively slower cars (miatas), you can absolutely practice by yourself or race AI in a lot of cars but it's also a blast to hop into an open practice session and try to follow people around and watch your lap times improve. Theres some one-time 3 month pass for 5 bucks or something you can do for iRacing, I would really recommend you give that a go, and really you should hop into our discord regardless at https://discord.gg/D7Gb9Z5.

There's always people in the server who are around and want to help so it's also a great place to ask questions about non-iRacing sims.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I found assetto corsa had a good AI racing progression that got me slowly ready to drive the faster cars, for me it was a great into to sim racing.

Agreed with VB on iracing, the price structure made me hesitant to jump in with having to pay a subscription and also buy content but being able to race real people whenever I want and have a license progression and mmr built in and low effort has been what's gotten me to stick with the hobby.

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005
This may be an unpopular opinion but I really like using the racing line when learning a brand new track. Getting the general idea will save you a ton of time flying off the track and having to reset when you completely forget that hairpin is coming up and not a high-speed corner. When you get to the point of wanting to actually take time off your laps its worth turning off and starting to play with different lines.

I also keep it on for anything on the Nordschleife... way too easy to forget which corner is coming up

Also agree AC has a decent "career" progression. PC2 did as well but at this point the physics haven't aged that well.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Immolat1on posted:

This may be an unpopular opinion but I really like using the racing line when learning a brand new track. Getting the general idea will save you a ton of time flying off the track and having to reset when you completely forget that hairpin is coming up and not a high-speed corner. When you get to the point of wanting to actually take time off your laps its worth turning off and starting to play with different lines.

I also keep it on for anything on the Nordschleife... way too easy to forget which corner is coming up

Also agree AC has a decent "career" progression. PC2 did as well but at this point the physics haven't aged that well.

In iRacing practice sessions you just pull up the 'results' list, double click on names starting from the fastest drivers until you find one still in the session, hop into cockpit camera, and let them take you on as many laps as you like. You see their braking points, lines, where you can get caught out with snap oversteer, etc. It's fantastic.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Racing line is like dual use. At first its just to learn wtf a braking point is then its sorta useless as, if your hotlapping, its not truly the extremes of the apex then it becomes a convienent marker for braking points. Having a friend to do hotlaps with is probably the most effective way to drill in the fundamentals imo. You see them get further away as you go slow. Like say perfecting the 2nd laguna turn alone would be infuriating as hell by yourself.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
The one thing from Forza that i would make a wish to a genie to put in all sims: a rewind key. That poo poo would rock

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
iracing has active reset where you can set a point anywhere on track you like, and with a button you're back at that same point going the same speed and all that. Great for practicing one tricky turn, pit entry, or a sector over and over until you get it right.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Homeless Friend posted:

The one thing from Forza that i would make a wish to a genie to put in all sims: a rewind key. That poo poo would rock

Needing to complete full laps to get gud at that one problem corner does feel really inefficient even if it's realistic.

Edit: just saw meow^3's post and :aaaaa:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

iracing has active reset where you can set a point anywhere on track you like, and with a button you're back at that same point going the same speed and all that. Great for practicing one tricky turn, pit entry, or a sector over and over until you get it right.

It does!?

I asked for this years ago and got flamed off the suggestions forums.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

KillHour posted:

It does!?

Sim forums are the loving worst.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?

KillHour posted:

It does!?

It was only implemented within the last few months. It's very cool!

Bomb-omb Texting
Sep 24, 2009

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

More reasons to active my ages old iRacing account. rip my wallet.

Speaking of ripping wallets? While waiting for my CLS LC pedals to arrive, I 3D Printed at my local library paddle shifters for DFGT for total cost of zero, and with some rubber bands and nuts and bolts, it made this ancient wheel feel way way better than before.

Somehow this rig building and figuring and building stuff for it is almost as fun and rewarding as the racing itself.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

Unfortunately for me im a brain addled moron who only plays the ps2 rally game ( which has had some sick map releases recently)

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

This seems like a no brainer feature for any simulator. Good to hear iRacing implemented it. Now if every other sim would get their snooty heads out of their butts for this stuff. No, I don't think I want to warm up my tires for 2 laps before actually pushing it just so I can figure out a single complex. Ugh.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Wow, I can't believe iracing actually added that. I can only imagine the raging on the forums that occurred after they did that.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

You can only do it in solo test drives or something so it's not like it really affects anyone else, though yeah people will still complain.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Cojawfee posted:

Wow, I can't believe iracing actually added that. I can only imagine the raging on the forums that occurred after they did that.

I would bet that the posters who shat the most on any new driver asking for such a feature became the biggest cheerleaders of the feature when it got added, claiming that they'd wanted it all along.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

You can only do it in solo test drives or something so it's not like it really affects anyone else, though yeah people will still complain.

Before they added the ability to turn off damage for custom races, I was told to go back to Forza because I asked for the ability to have no damage in solo practice. People on the iracing forums hate anything that could possibly help someone that isn't 100% accurate and also does not affect them in the slightest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It's an echo of the hazing phenomenon. "I had to put up with this bullshit when I was gitting gud, these modern n00bs should drat well have to put up with it too."

That's alongside the closely related issue of the people higher up a social hierarchy instinctively wanting to protect their position from challengers.