Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

BigRoman posted:

there's a lot of people in Ukraine, whether they speak Russian or Ukrainian, that don't consider themselves to be a part of the Russian state today.

The problem is, before the invasion got underway some powerful people thought the opposite. You don't try to take a country of 44 million with 200k troops if you think they're going to put up a fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
You know which once Ukrainian people DO want to be Russian?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Some, I'm sure. Not enough to make the invasion a cakewalk. Definitely fewer now than a year ago, what with the cruise missiles and drones getting hucked into their cities and power grid

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
russia stupidly thought they were doing a minor police action despite everyone with two braincells yelling them that they were stupid to think that was going to be the case. they got the result they deserved.

its really fascinating how dictatorships genuinely are hobbled decision making wise if the person on top is an idiot, thats one thing the west will have over russia and china, its that they collectively make stupid decisions and warcrimes as opposed to one person doing so.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jazerus posted:

you have to extend the timeline to cover zelda link to the past and super metroid at least. i can agree with cutting things off there

Video games going mainstream has given humanity brain damage, sorry

Al-Saqr posted:

russia stupidly thought they were doing a minor police action despite everyone with two braincells yelling them that they were stupid to think that was going to be the case. they got the result they deserved.

its really fascinating how dictatorships genuinely are hobbled decision making wise if the person on top is an idiot, thats one thing the west will have over russia and china, its that they collectively make stupid decisions and warcrimes as opposed to one person doing so.

Russia is not a dictatorship it is a neolib democracy modeled on the US

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
I dunno what I'm going for but like every border in existence was probably formed with horrifying violence and yeah if people finally stopped there'd be no reason to change them, but unfortunately Capitalism tears and chews everything apart so I guess I'm saying the Ukraine/Russia war is capitalism's fault?

Given the hole the Ukrainian government is going down at this point I'd say anyone in the area is just hoping the end result doesn't involve getting bombed by one of the belligerents, and that anyone of Russian ancestry/vague association with Russia presumably hopes they don't have to deal with Nazis deciding to shoot them for street cred.

All things considered since both sides seem to have few plans for half measures I'd give the edge to Russia, mainly because at least it isn't beholden to external interests that want to hollow it out even further, so at least it has a fighting chance to shake off austerity w/r/t rebuilding the areas destroyed.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Flavahbeast posted:

Some, I'm sure. Not enough to make the invasion a cakewalk. Definitely fewer now than a year ago, what with the cruise missiles and drones getting hucked into their cities and power grid

just like how the Donbass didn't want to stay Ukrainian after Azov guys started shelling them in 2014.

i don't think Russia wanted western Ukraine (or Eastern Ukraine beyond Crimea either), only that they wouldn't be a staging ground for NATO missiles and troops. the ship has sailed on the areas that have had referendums tho, the question is how Ukraine gets out of this with a lifeline to the Black Sea. even an honest peace offering from the West is going to be looked on with distrust after Poroshenko, Merkel and Hollande's comments on the Minsk agreements.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What is an example of an honest peace that the West has honored since WWII

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

A long list. Let me start with

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
its pretty insane to read history and find out how immediately the west started fighting the soviets tooth and nail the second nazi germany was defeated, the west are really amazing at painting others as the aggressor for poo poo they did.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

the vietnam surrender? but i guess the cia probably black helicoptered around southeast asia enough for it to not fully count

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
So basically it requires them to lose outright.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

gradenko_2000 posted:

the American civil war :smug:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

do any of the new people have thoughts on what's going on in regards to russia's next offence that may or may not have started yet?

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

Al-Saqr posted:

Wait.. calling it a "police action" was ACTUALLY haphazard naivete and NOT a sly spiteful nod towards western imperialism laced with a dose of high road copium for occupant babushkas?

Well, this changes everything!

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Flavahbeast posted:

The problem is, before the invasion got underway some powerful people thought the opposite. You don't try to take a country of 44 million with 200k troops if you think they're going to put up a fight

Strong "If you don't vote die for me my empire's interest you ain't Black a real Ukrainian" energy on both side, tbh. It's wonder a nation that spent decades politically divided is now front line divided with people with such genuine interrest for their well being backing them on both side.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

FFS did an admin really tell the GBS idiots to post here

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

thechosenone posted:

I dunno what I'm going for but like every border in existence was probably formed with horrifying violence and yeah if people finally stopped there'd be no reason to change them, but unfortunately Capitalism tears and chews everything apart so I guess I'm saying the Ukraine/Russia war is capitalism's fault?

Given the hole the Ukrainian government is going down at this point I'd say anyone in the area is just hoping the end result doesn't involve getting bombed by one of the belligerents, and that anyone of Russian ancestry/vague association with Russia presumably hopes they don't have to deal with Nazis deciding to shoot them for street cred.

All things considered since both sides seem to have few plans for half measures I'd give the edge to Russia, mainly because at least it isn't beholden to external interests that want to hollow it out even further, so at least it has a fighting chance to shake off austerity w/r/t rebuilding the areas destroyed.

Nah, this was a honest to god fascist invasion.
It starts with "there are a lot of OUR PEOPLE over there", then it transition to "there are SOME of our people over there, better grab that too" and before you know it they start conquering territory because "they are mismanaging their land so better if we take it anyway, right?"
If you look at Putin's initial plans on Ukraine and Ukrainians beyond Donbass it looks eerily similar to Adolf plans for Poland or Mussolini arguing that chunks of Africa would have been better administered by Italy anyway.

Also Putin doesn't give a gently caress about Donbass people. Russia will remain a pariah state for a looong time after the war and will have great troubles funding a reconstruction of bombed out cities near a completely economically closed border.

Also, fascists in Ukraine, meh, there are no more or less than in every other nation on earth. If anything the scary fascist Azov batallion has been disbanded albeit after getting elevated to heroic status after Mariupol(guess whose fault it is?) while Russian fascists are still merrily warcriming and hammering its own soldiers heads in.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Not So Fast posted:

yeah

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Not So Fast posted:

The old "I don't want to deal with these people, they're your problem now".

I hope they feel loved and appreciated.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Not So Fast posted:

yeah. there was something about us being genuinely evil as well

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

CODChimera posted:

yeah. there was something about us being genuinely evil as well

Anyone who doesn't support Freedom [tm] (aka certain private monetary interests) is evil. That's just how it works.

The less people think about it the happier Freedom [tm] is.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT

Not So Fast posted:

"We should not have threads on the forum that are motivated by the belief that other parts of the userbase are genuinely evil.

If posters wish to have serious discussion about the Russian invasion of Ukraine there is the D&D thread. If posters wish to make poop jokes about the Russian invasion of Ukraine there is CSPAM"

I'm sure he would be thrilled to hear that this thread reciprocates so much, maybe only the serious D&d thread should remain for serious general info on the war.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Not So Fast posted:

They gassed the gbs thread, so yeah, mechanically they did, unless they were actually expecting people to go to a D&D Ukraine thread...

Toplowtech has issued a correction as of 09:32 on Feb 25, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
If a bunch of absolute morons started posting in here would you really notice the difference

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tafferling posted:

It starts with "there are a lot of OUR PEOPLE over there", then it transition to "there are SOME of our people over there, better grab that too" and before you know it they start conquering territory because "they are mismanaging their land so better if we take it anyway, right?"
If you look at Putin's initial plans on Ukraine and Ukrainians beyond Donbass it looks eerily similar to Adolf plans for Poland or Mussolini arguing that chunks of Africa would have been better administered by Italy anyway.

Also Putin doesn't give a gently caress about Donbass people. Russia will remain a pariah state for a looong time after the war and will have great troubles funding a reconstruction of bombed out cities near a completely economically closed border.

Also, fascists in Ukraine, meh, there are no more or less than in every other nation on earth. If anything the scary fascist Azov batallion has been disbanded albeit after getting elevated to heroic status after Mariupol(guess whose fault it is?) while Russian fascists are still merrily warcriming and hammering its own soldiers heads in.

Ah gently caress guess I spoke too soon

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

If a bunch of absolute morons started posting in here would you really notice the difference

Probably only notice the same old stuff from 6-12 months ago coming up as if it was new. HEY GUYS DID YOU HEAR THIS?!? (pause while they wait for a reaction, as the room stares at them, silently)

That sort of thing.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
I'm (back) here because we stopped shooting down UFOs for a week.

GBS nerds: go to GIP, it's very welcoming to non-troops and gigantic loving dipshits.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Tafferling posted:

Hehehehahahahaaaaaahahaha brilliant

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

It's good to have opposing viewpoints in threads, otherwise they become circlejerks.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Tafferling posted:

Welcome to the thread! I'd like you to answer some questions, if you would be so kind.

1. What was the public opinion in Ukraine wrt Russia and Yanukovych, prior to the 2014 color revolution? What caused Yanukovych to step down?

2. What happened when Zelensky confronted neonazis shelling the DPR? Did the president of Ukraine stop them?

3. Have there been any race or genocide-related controversies with regards to Ukrainian politicians serving abroad e.g ambassadors, foreign ministers?

4. What will happen if Ukraine gets control of DPR territory, and the people there do not want to be Ukrainian?

5. Do you believe in the idea of a moral army?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's good to have some pro Nazi people, otherwise everyone might agree Nazism is bad in a big ol circlejerk

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Neurolimal posted:

Welcome to the thread! I'd like you to answer some questions, if you would be so kind.

1. What was the public opinion in Ukraine wrt Russia and Yanukovych, prior to the 2014 color revolution? What caused Yanukovych to step down?

2. What happened when Zelensky confronted neonazis shelling the DPR? Did the president of Ukraine stop them?

3. Have there been any race or genocide-related controversies with regards to Ukrainian politicians serving abroad e.g ambassadors, foreign ministers?

4. What will happen if Ukraine gets control of DPR territory, and the people there do not want to be Ukrainian?

Slavvy posted:

It's good to have some pro Nazi people, otherwise everyone might agree Nazism is bad in a big ol circlejerk

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Need 100 dudes to agree with and jerk off, no homo

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Tafferling posted:

define fascism OP

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Btw check out that absolute rogue chuikov on the right there, totally extravagant no fucks given pirate haircut

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

super sweet best pal posted:

It's good to have opposing viewpoints in threads, otherwise they become circlejerks.

yeah hopefully we can just avoid going from 0-100 in a couple of pages

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT

Neurolimal posted:

Sorry, but as per Hand Knit's post this is the thread about poop jokes, you can't seriously make me argue about the finer stuff, I just believe that Ukraine is less morally bankrupt than Russia overrall.
We can instead argue how fun is that Putin sounds a loot like Pootin'. That's a brilliant poop joke IMHO.

vvvvvvv well, you'd better tell him then.

Tafferling has issued a correction as of 09:49 on Feb 25, 2023

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
no poop jokes here. hand knit is probably confusing that with mud jokes. like, actual mud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cuttlefush posted:

no poop jokes here. hand knit is probably confusing that with mud jokes. like, actual mud.

Oh man all the General Mud jokes from last year are about to be in vogue again!!!