Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Lol we named our first dog Jack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Marenghi posted:

The only place bucking the trend is Galway city with Mohammad.

Tweet replies already shouting about invasion lol.
But its not, its just statistics and muslim naming conventions.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Shoehead posted:

Lol we named our first dog Jack

Us too!

This is a bizarre list, I didn't think we were imaginative but that's fairly crap. At least the girls names have some diversity - I remember my mate naming her kid Freya about 12 years ago and it seemed weird then, guess she was just ahead of the curve

Also;

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
My year in secondary school had something like 6 Stephens in it and we had to knickname em all. Jack's not too bad of a name, though, not compared to all the Conors.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Looks like you're all turning into West Brits ffs. :ughh:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

It's been a hell of a long time since Irish people predominantly chose irish-language names. I just had a wee look, and even 100 years ago, the vast, vast majority of names chosen were english, or very anglicized irish names. I just looked up the 1901 census, and of my grandad's family of 9, only one person had an Irish name (Bridget) .
You have to go back a few centuries to get past that.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
I dont understand why you would want to have a common first name.
For the rest of eternity you will be one of the billion trillion Johns, Micheals, Jacks, etc.
I understand if you were named after a relative, but drat we should be trying to make unique names to make our kids unique.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
There's a certain level of uniqueness which is just going to cause problems for the kid. Where that falls on the scale from "obscure Irish name" to "Elon Musk is your dad" I leave to you to decide.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i think there aren't enough raquels in the world personally

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Names should be strategically decided so that your child has an option for an easy to use name but also a cool unique name if they want to use that.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Whatever you name your child they're all goind to poo poo and piss themselves

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
snip

Somebody fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Feb 25, 2023

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Mrenda posted:

Whatever you name your child they're all goind to poo poo and piss themselves

I think you'll find that my children NoPiss and NoShit are well behaved and barely in pain...

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

PowerBeard posted:

I think you'll find that my children NoPiss and NoShit are well behaved and barely in pain...

For sale, baby nappies. Never shidded.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Holly Cairns is new leader of the SocDems.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
My blood seems to be boiling, I wonder why...

Irish Independent posted:

...A letter to Minister for Children Roderic O'Gorman, the Catholic Primary School Managers Association (CPSMA) said that the science on transgenderism is "far from settled" and that there is "mounting evidence of psychological contagion".

It states that it believes that a policy to teach children about transgenderism "would be counterproductive, generating unnecessary divisions in school communities where none now exists".

"More seriously" the letter goes on to say it "might add to a growing psychological contagion amongst young and vulnerable children".

Oh boy, Catholic Primary Schools don't want to teach about Transgenderism.

On a completely unrelated note, does anyone know of any delivery services that will deliver a vat of acid to someone's door, hand them a crowbar and tell them there's candy inside the vat....

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Is "psychological contagion" the phenomenon where if you stop trying to shame or beat someone out of something and support them instead of telling them that they are evil then more people will be publicly willing to identify as that thing?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
My (Brit) mother has told me at length how kids are peer pressuring each other into being trans as the latest fad

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I do get there'd be some pressure, social appeal to playing with gender norms. When I was fifteen it seemed like half my friend group were bisexual. Some, of course, really were. However six months later the vast majority were all, "Nah, I'm definitely straight." Some of the lads had kissed a boy, and some of the girls had kissed a girl. Big deal.

I'm sure there's teens now, hearing about the ideas of playing with gender norms, who might think, "Yeah, I could be trans." The play around with makeup, or wearing mens jeans and jumpers or whatever for a few months and then they decide, "Nah, I'm definitely cis." Because, you know, that's what's supposed to happen. Teens are meant to have these types of ideas, they're growing and developing. Even in an ideal situation of a GPs letter getting to a gender clinic within a few weeks and an offer to meet someone from there within a few months the teen will have moved on. Never mind, of course, that the vast majority of trans people will have some issues surrounding gender for a lot longer than a few months of playing around with mascara.

And it's part of talking to anyone for getting access to trans stuff for the person to consider their interaction with gender. That more cis people are considering gender is a good thing.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

gonadic io posted:

My (Brit) mother has told me at length how kids are peer pressuring each other into being trans as the latest fad

I laughed at this parenthetical clarification. At it again!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Guavanaut posted:

Is "psychological contagion" the phenomenon where if you stop trying to shame or beat someone out of something and support them instead of telling them that they are evil then more people will be publicly willing to identify as that thing?

No, it's the 21st century way to say "demonic possession" without people laughing at you.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Guavanaut posted:

The church doesn't consider the science settled on left handedness and regrets stopping beating children with rulers to stop that psychological contagion spreading.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

"Psychological contagion" is such a gross nazi "degenerate" term for them to choose to use. They are really telling on themselves with that.
I'm a cis woman, I get mildly irritated with games that force me to play as a boring white dude with the same problems as literally every boring white dude.
No amount of material forcing me to play as a dude will make me want to be one. My own, (painfully dumb) brother once told me I had a "male mind" because I am not terribly good at social stuff and am boringly analytical and prefer accuracy in speech.
Those are not gendered things, they are just somewhat commoner in men.
If a game offers me the choice to play as a woman, I'll take it.
If I get to be a weirdo who is obsessed with verbal exactitude, I'll take it!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"psychological contagion" aka "humans can communicate with each other"

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
My aunt still has mental health problems, now in her 70s, stemming from how she was treated as a left hander in schools.
School nuns should be outlawed

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Pookah posted:

My own, (painfully dumb) brother once told me I had a "male mind" because I am not terribly good at social stuff and am boringly analytical and prefer accuracy in speech.
Those are not gendered things, they are just somewhat commoner in men.
If I get to be a weirdo who is obsessed with verbal exactitude, I'll take it!

so, uh, feel free to tell me to gently caress off, unrelated to the current topic, but, extremely sincerely, have you ever considered that you may have autism

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

gonadic io posted:

so, uh, feel free to tell me to gently caress off, unrelated to the current topic, but, extremely sincerely, have you ever considered that you may have autism

Oh yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm somewhere on the autism/ADHD spectrum, but apparently getting diagnosed as an adult is both expensive and very difficult here.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Well, for autism a formal diag is neither here nor there, you can gain a lot just from casual reading, help you understand your mind better. For example, those traits you listed are classic symptoms.

For ADHD I really would recommend it however because medication is absolutely life-changing for something like 95% of people. Thanks to the glory of neoliberalism, you're looking at a few years waiting list for the public option or about a 600-800 euro and a month or two privately. Skipping over the border doesn't really matter on this one because the situation is more or less identical to in the UK lol. As for difficulty I wouldn't say I spotted anything unreasonable. You don't even need a gp referral for the private option here. My partner got an ADHD diag and the process was fine.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
In more hellworld news, despite homelessness increasing steadily during the incredibly toothless eviction ban, they've decided they're going to end it anyway.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Have you no consideration for the landlords who watch their excess profits they could charge evaporate as they can't kick out their tenant to get another one in at higher rates.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
https://twitter.com/irishexaminer/status/1632924674958192643

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Hate that oval office

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
That's why a neo-liberal green party doesn't work.

You can't ban SUVs or have free public transport because it goes against their market fundementalism. Demand is linked to price so free transport would induce unlimited demand.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Yeah, there's no chance of even looking at other European cities that have made all public transport free to assess outcomes in the real world, it's simply "graph says no"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Taking an unnecessary trip on an electric bus that is already running that route and using an extra electron that could otherwise be hoarded by a landlord.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Landlords require surplus electrons to produce more landlords.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Stupid fuckin eejit.

I'm one of the thousand out on my arse on April 1st. Never found a new place to rent because.... there aren't any!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
What kind of gobshite Green looks at a full bus and thinks "ah but what if they hada stayed at home??" instead of "that's 20 cars off the road" Fuckin hell

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Ye've all covered my thoughts on Ryan's shite so I'll just leave it be.

gonadic io posted:

In more hellworld news, despite homelessness increasing steadily during the incredibly toothless eviction ban, they've decided they're going to end it anyway.
This is one of those things like how yanks will do something counterproductive with guns and go "Look! Trying made the problem worse!" and use that as justification for not bothering at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Hi do ye want to see the Burkes all get dragged out of court after himself lost his appeal?

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1633143088293068804?s=20