Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

orange juche posted:

It would probably be a nonstop string of swearing in Chinese.

and then they saw the boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
“I’ve seen chabadou. But this….”

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Alan Smithee posted:

“I’ve seen chabadou. But this….”

chabadou with russian characteristics

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Continuing the China carrier derail, the Chinese went from running a Soviet-era handoff to designing their own copy (CNS Shandong), to designing and building a CATOBAR conventionally powered carrier with EMALS (CNS Fujian), roughly analogous to a Ford-class supercarrier, and are in the process of cutting metal for the Type 004 carrier which will integrate advanced nuclear propulsion. They're planning on finishing the first Type 004 by 2030, which is actually really god drat impressive in how quick they've managed it.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Yeah I wonder how effective it will be operationally though. They sure can build the ships fast, but I have questions about their sailors experience and institutional knowledge both tactically and strategically

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Carth Dookie posted:

Yeah I wonder how effective it will be operationally though. They sure can build the ships fast, but I have questions about their sailors experience and institutional knowledge both tactically and strategically

They've been working really hard to learn by doing, apparently they're putting the flight deck crews to work for sure, they were observed by the JMSDF during the last deployment of the Liaoning to be capable of sustaining a "very high" tempo on deck. Who knows how many sailors wound up dying to get to that point but it probably more than a few, getting good with aircraft carriers involves a fair amount of sailors paying the price for poor procedure until it is revised.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I sometimes check in on China Defense Blog and it seems like every other week there's a post that's something like "and here's 3 new guided missile destroyers being constructed side-by-side in a single shipyard" like they're pumping them out like Ikea furniture or something. Hasn't China been putting more iron in the water than pretty much every other country combined for a while now?

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
Is this a space safe from cross-forums poo poo stirrers? And do you accept refugees from GBS?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Potrzebie posted:

Is this a space safe from cross-forums poo poo stirrers? And do you accept refugees from GBS?

See:

orange juche posted:

GBS refugee's guide to posting in GiP:

1) Don't bring interforum drama here, you will get paddled.

2) see 1.

3) :justpost:

Anyway,

Carth Dookie posted:

I am curious too, building a bunch of ships is one part of the equation, but the building of institutional knowledge and skill is an important part too.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Feb 25, 2023

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

It's possible to find a thread where some dude was obviously excited about the prospect of Russian soldiers resorting to cannibalism distasteful while still hoping Putin and his buddies lose this war and their heads :thermidor:.

It was closed because the worst posters on the site with a vendetta on the thread IK / mods (over banning their poo poo stirring idiot friends) and GBS in general harassed enough mods until they buckled and removed both the thread and the mod, not because of any content. Meanwhile the infinitely more bloodthirsty Cspam thread is untouched. That is very distasteful.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Arrath posted:

See:

Anyway,

I am curious too, building a bunch of ships is one part of the equation, but the building the institutional knowledge and skill is an important part too.

:tipshat:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

It was closed because the worst posters on the site with a vendetta on the thread IK / mods (over banning their poo poo stirring idiot friends) and GBS in general harassed enough mods until they buckled and removed both the thread and the mod, not because of any content. Meanwhile the infinitely more bloodthirsty Cspam thread is untouched. That is very distasteful.

orange juche posted:

GBS refugee's guide to posting in GiP:

1) Don't bring interforum drama here, you will get paddled.

2) see 1.

3) :justpost:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sorry.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

While GiP has the reputation of "only vets/mil can post here" we have a bunch of people who have never served in any military anywhere in the world who post here. McNally is a good mod and is pretty unlikely to be swayed by BS from other forums, he just mocks idiots who try to brigade things in the background. Coincidentally the GiP current events thread and the Ukraine thread are fairly high quality. Though, the Ukraine war thread can get a bit dry since if it's been a while since a substantive update on things, posts will slow to a crawl unless someone derails it into something like Chinese aircraft carriers.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Feb 25, 2023

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

orange juche posted:

While GiP has the reputation of "only vets/mil can post here" we have a bunch of people who have never served in any military anywhere in the world who post here. McNally is a good mod and is pretty unlikely to be swayed by BS from other forums, he just mocks idiots who try to brigade things in the background. Coincidentally the GiP current events thread and the Ukraine thread are fairly high quality. Though, the Ukraine war thread can get a bit dry since if it's been a while since a substantive update on things, posts will slow to a crawl unless someone derails it into something like Chinese aircraft carriers.

hey those might be relevant soon!

in some universe "China is considering providing lethal aid to Russia" ends up with them selling the not-Kuznetsov back to Russia, and it promptly sinks after being exposed to the maintenance standards of the Russian navy again

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

hey those might be relevant soon!

in some universe "China is considering providing lethal aid to Russia" ends up with them selling the not-Kuznetsov back to Russia, and it promptly sinks after being exposed to the maintenance standards of the Russian navy again

Fun to consider but China would never give up a capital ship back to the Russians, no matter if they were absolute lockstep allies. Xi would look at Putin and say "are you loving serious?"

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

orange juche posted:

Fun to consider but China would never give up a capital ship back to the Russians, no matter if they were absolute lockstep allies. Xi would look at Putin and say "are you loving serious?"

Related; is China looking to sell any of the new ships it builds at some point down the line? Or is it 100% going catch-up to the US Navy?

On the whole what does Chinese weapon exports look like?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I don't think either side would go for it. There's delivering lethal aid and then there's giving them an aircraft carrier.

That's the kind of thing that might be enough to persuade the west to look harder at China. Also I'm not sure if it would be worth it because I suspect western response would be to arm the Ukrainians even more with longer range, deeper penetrating tools. Also, probably every anti-ship missile in the western arsenal.

I'm not even sure what Russia could do with a free aircraft carrier. I suspect that because the Kuznetzov has barely or totally non-working for so long the Russian Navy's ability to use it effectively (rather than just float it out there for national pride) is degraded at best.

I mean poo poo, look at what happened to their flagship

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

freeasinbeer posted:

Related; is China looking to sell any of the new ships it builds at some point down the line? Or is it 100% going catch-up to the US Navy?

On the whole what does Chinese weapon exports look like?

I don't think they've done any ships yet. Their exports are a surprisingly low share of the global market (4.6%, same as Germany, half of France), but for the last 5 years Russia had 18% of the market and for obvious reasons China is well placed to displace them entirely. Like the Russians their poo poo is designed to be cheap, mass producible, easy to use, and good-enough, unlike the Russians they are building weapon systems that were designed in the last 20 years and are going to be able to reliably make delivery.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

probably belongs in the idiots thread but
https://twitter.com/KramarenkoMari3/status/1629181809790443520?s=20

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/saintjavelin/status/1629083331999547393?s=20

How could we forget the anniversary of one of the most badass Ukrainian Babushkas caught on camera?

E: better version

https://twitter.com/cedru72/status/1629159395769610240?s=20

orange juche fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Feb 25, 2023

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

That witch's curse at the end owned.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Zelensky's "I need ammo, not a ride", Snake Island soldier's "Russian warship, go gently caress yourself" and this babushka's quip really showed Ukraine's poetic defiance and resilience at all levels of Ukrainian society.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

If we are revisiting old videos, this AFU recruitment vid from 2014 that resurfaced last year still has all of the emotional punch it had the first time I saw it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOCbW1hc6Ng

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Fragrag posted:

Zelensky's "I need ammo, not a ride", Snake Island soldier's "Russian warship, go gently caress yourself" and this babushka's quip really showed Ukraine's poetic defiance and resilience at all levels of Ukrainian society.

My family is Polish and/or Ukranian going back as far as I can find and they're just like that. Comes with living on Europe's battleground for various poo poo over the last... well lets just say all of recorded history. Tends to make people a bit testy about invaders.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Carth Dookie posted:

I don't think either side would go for it. There's delivering lethal aid and then there's giving them an aircraft carrier.

That's the kind of thing that might be enough to persuade the west to look harder at China. Also I'm not sure if it would be worth it because I suspect western response would be to arm the Ukrainians even more with longer range, deeper penetrating tools. Also, probably every anti-ship missile in the western arsenal.

I'm not even sure what Russia could do with a free aircraft carrier. I suspect that because the Kuznetzov has barely or totally non-working for so long the Russian Navy's ability to use it effectively (rather than just float it out there for national pride) is degraded at best.

I mean poo poo, look at what happened to their flagship

There's a reason why the existing tubs in the black sea are careful about not getting in range of Ukrainian missiles or suicide drones. The Moskva, I believe, was done for by a combo of perfect targeting conditions, having the missiles in the right place and time, and scrambled for use quickly enough before the ship went out of range. The story about the Bayraktar being used as a distraction, iirc, was just war propaganda that the Ukrainian source that described what actually happened admitted to.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

zone posted:

There's a reason why the existing tubs in the black sea are careful about not getting in range of Ukrainian missiles or suicide drones. The Moskva, I believe, was done for by a combo of perfect targeting conditions, having the missiles in the right place and time, and scrambled for use quickly enough before the ship went out of range. The story about the Bayraktar being used as a distraction, iirc, was just war propaganda that the Ukrainian source that described what actually happened admitted to.

There was a recent YT vid regarding it's combat status; poo poo was all broken af but the admiral on the ship signed off on it... it really was a perfect storm of factors.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

zone posted:

Also most of the Moskva's electronics suite wasn't actually in working condition. Same thing with her close-in defense weaponry.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's not a traditional Russian war unless their navy loses all the major engagements. Even if their opponent doesn't have anything to engage.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Speaking about carriers, a couple of days ago this popped up in my yt suggestions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpQFKF174HI

You watch how the US does this, and the scale of things and you gotta think about the glorious ruzzian carrier that's sometimes even not on fire. Rust and rats, my friends. Rust and rats. And "Huh, where's your cats?"

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Is there a way to read these without signing up?

A lot of newspaper paywalls can be bypassed by simply disabling javascript in your browser. Another method, easier to use but that may not work as often, is turning on your browser's reader view, which shows you the main article contents and cuts away most of the ads and navigation stuff from the page.

As I understand things, most newspapers want to keep the article contents open for search engine bots so their articles will show up in searches, so for most of them there will be some way to get around the paywall.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Spoggerific posted:

A lot of newspaper paywalls can be bypassed by simply disabling javascript in your browser. Another method, easier to use but that may not work as often, is turning on your browser's reader view, which shows you the main article contents and cuts away most of the ads and navigation stuff from the page.

As I understand things, most newspapers want to keep the article contents open for search engine bots so their articles will show up in searches, so for most of them there will be some way to get around the paywall.

https://archive.is/ is also an option for some sites, just paste in the link and go.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Incognito mode works a lot of times for sites that give free page views.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Power Khan posted:

Speaking about carriers, a couple of days ago this popped up in my yt suggestions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpQFKF174HI

You watch how the US does this, and the scale of things and you gotta think about the glorious ruzzian carrier that's sometimes even not on fire. Rust and rats, my friends. Rust and rats. And "Huh, where's your cats?"
meanwhile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UWX0oFPJak

Kallikaa
Jun 13, 2001
https://twitter.com/BMVg_Bundeswehr/status/1629136976505892865

So a 31 tank battalion of Leopard a5/a6 and another 32 mainly (all?) a4's.

How much impact will mixing the L/55 guns of the a6 with the Swedish ones having the L/44 have in practise?

What about different communication systems, targeting systems and such?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

comms at least should all be NATO standard and able to interact normally. Unsure about the rest but I think sensor fused data might be a bit too modern for what's being given to them, but I admit to knowing precisely nothing about modern tank data share abilities.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Kallikaa posted:

How much impact will mixing the L/55 guns of the a6 with the Swedish ones having the L/44 have in practise?

Even though Sweden is not yet in NATO, they've been following a lot of NATO practices for a while now, and one of those practices is interoperability of Comms. So even though the tanks in question may or may not be using the same communication hardware, they should at least be able to talk to each other.

As for the cannons, they generally have the same hardware and breeches, and should take nearly all the same ammunition. The real difference is muzzle velocity, range, and penetrating power. In practice, this means that the Swedish tanks may not be as efficient at servicing certain targets, but it is still a tank and to some greater extent interoperable with newer Leopard 2s.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Kallikaa posted:

L/55 guns are higher caliber, longer barrels (55 calibers vs 44 calibers, so higher muzzle velocity) but otherwise they fire the same round. The L/55 was designed specifically to deal with the T-72 but the M1A1 Abrams was quite capable of killing T-72s with its licensed reproduction of the Rheinmetall L/44 gun in Desert Storm. The thing that will matter more is probably the length of the penetrator in the APFSDS rounds that they'll be using.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Kallikaa posted:

Considering the AFU is already operating an enormous mishmash of equipment from dozens of countries, I'd wager they'll be able to handle the differences between Leopard variants. Does anyone have a tally on how many western MBTs have been confirmed as Ukrainian aid?

Also, quick thanks for taking in posters from the GBS thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Russian sailors get fresh bread thrice a day.