Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

Hey so I'm getting conflicting messaging, what's the trick to getting the admins to like and listen to you ? Do I have to pretend to be a super hardcore holodomor denier and tankie brigader or can I get away with just some lighter ethnic cleansing rhetoric and still be in their good books? Just trying to figure out the vibe so I don't accidentally express sympathy for the victims of genocide or warcrimes or anything gauche like that

Fucken shameful leadership, hiding behind "just following orders, that's beyond my pay grade!!" cop mods

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

steinrokkan posted:

But it's not the designated forums funny zone.

Btw CSPAM had an active, literal "joke about holodomor" thread.

correction: still has, it's open
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4004281

and we're being told to post in that subforum

Terminally Bored fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Feb 25, 2023

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

boofhead posted:

Hey so I'm getting conflicting messaging, what's the trick to getting the admins to like and listen to you ? Do I have to pretend to be a super hardcore holodomor denier and tankie brigader or can I get away with just some lighter ethnic cleansing rhetoric and still be in their good books? Just trying to figure out the vibe so I don't accidentally express sympathy for the victims of genocide or warcrimes or anything gauche like that

Fucken shameful leadership, hiding behind "just following orders, that's beyond my pay grade!!" cop mods

Yeah no one here is aggro enough to have their opinions matter. Evidently the way you get your opinion to count is to throw a temper tantrum over the things you've imagined are happening until the admins shut down what you're complaining about, and where you were throwing a temper tantrum and do nothing as you move to another spot and start all over again.

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

Well we wouldn't want to upset the holocaust deniers, please have the maturity to consider all views the way you'd like yours to be considered. I think banning discussion of the war will solve all of the problems and is a perfectly reasonable thing to do to keep a handful of dedicated mentally ill concern trolls from being unduly upset.

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

Additionally, D&D loving sucks.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

This is a very good thread and cinci’s mod work has to be appreciated.

However, the GBS thread is succinctly different, serves a different purpose and is aimed at a different crowd and conversation style.

Suggesting to go to CSPAM for funny posting, considering the history, is a dick move. Closing the thread and leaving a closed discussion thread for it is aggressive. No one is going to be PM-ing mods with their feedback.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Hey, since there is no other way to do this:

Can you mods ask in your very special forum to clarify the SA editorial position regarding genocide denial in general and denial of the Holodomor specifically?

Denying it is a criminal offence where I live (§ 130 StGB) for reasons that are hopefully obvious.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

Antigravitas posted:

Hey, since there is no other way to do this:

Can you mods ask in your very special forum to clarify the SA editorial position regarding genocide denial in general and denial of the Holodomor specifically?

Denying it is a criminal offence where I live (§ 130 StGB) for reasons that are hopefully obvious.

Ah, yes, well for starters YOU get a probe for being a downer. Hth

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

SA becoming a gross safe space for genocide deniers and cheerleaders has been pretty sad to see. I'd say the vast majority of people here are cool, but there's clearly some weird levels of coddling and protection of tankies at the highest level. Cheering on the defense of a country facing an imperialist land grab and genocide gets you shut down, but "jokes" supporting genocide have a well protected safe space to fester.

Over the decades I've been happy to see SA root out the worst in its community and generally be on the right side of history, eventually. We got rid of pedos, we got rid of transphobes, we even kinda got rid of nazis. Having SA as a safe space for the worst red-brown tankies and putin's useful idiots reflectly extremely poorly on the admins and community. Eventually good posters will leave and all the site will be left with are a bunch of stalin simps.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Baronjutter posted:

SA becoming a gross safe space for genocide deniers and cheerleaders has been pretty sad to see. I'd say the vast majority of people here are cool, but there's clearly some weird levels of coddling and protection of tankies at the highest level. Cheering on the defense of a country facing an imperialist land grab and genocide gets you shut down, but "jokes" supporting genocide have a well protected safe space to fester.

Over the decades I've been happy to see SA root out the worst in its community and generally be on the right side of history, eventually. We got rid of pedos, we got rid of transphobes, we even kinda got rid of nazis. Having SA as a safe space for the worst red-brown tankies and putin's useful idiots reflectly extremely poorly on the admins and community. Eventually good posters will leave and all the site will be left with are a bunch of stalin simps.

Just maybe, the Stalin simps and Holodomor deniers might not get their wish this time around and have to see Stronk Russia get its face rubbed into the ground by the guys they considered "Little Russians" and stupid country cousins of theirs. And god knows, they deserve it for the innumerable documented and undocumented crimes they've conducted on the territory of Ukraine this year.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Baronjutter posted:

Truth

https://twitter.com/EMoore2323/status/1629176182708076544

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1629257824013369348

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I wouldn't want to PM any mods because talking to them in public gets your banned for 10(!) hours. I would have thought a PM would be even worse. I always thought the 2 threads were quite different until they got the same mods doing both and then one gets shutdown. Huh.

So in a more related to the thread question. Why are Ukrainian vehicle camo a single olive grab and not multiple colours? I've also noticed a distinct lack of painting anything white in winter. Why is that?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

ukraine gonna 2 for 2 eurovision with those dancing bags

https://twitter.com/frontlinekit/status/1617465239511138305?s=20

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

The former PM of Malaysia offers a stunningly bad take on the war. Tl,Dr: NATO forced poor Russia to do this.

https://twitter.com/chedetofficial/status/1628981880677863425

If there are any Malaysian goons around, could you shed light on sentiments regarding Russia, especially before and after the shootdown of MH 117? It feels like it should be pretty hard to let that kind of thing slide.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

jaete posted:

Hm, wouldn't a more accurate translitteration be Dostoyevski? Similar to how it is in Finnish (where "je" = english "ye" more or less, "jo" = "yo" (short o) and so on: https://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fjodor_Dostojevski)

accurate by which language and orthographic system? there is no right way to transliterate, just a series of compromises. for example, in czech and slovak, vowel length is phonemic, but east slavic doesn't have vowel length (dropped very early on in the divergence of slavic languages), so none of our names are transliterated well into cyrillic or vice versa.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

She should be reported for bloodlust.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

The former PM of Malaysia offers a stunningly bad take on the war. Tl,Dr: NATO forced poor Russia to do this.

https://twitter.com/chedetofficial/status/1628981880677863425

If there are any Malaysian goons around, could you shed light on sentiments regarding Russia, especially before and after the shootdown of MH 117? It feels like it should be pretty hard to let that kind of thing slide.

He's love his conspriacy theories, including hosting events on 9/11 and with MH17 truthers. He appeared in a documentary made by Bonanza Media, set up by an MH17 truther and a former RT journalist, which we discovered had ties to the GRU, so he's either a useful idiot or a willing participant in disinformation.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Starting to think rejecting the PM I got a couple weeks ago asking if I wanted to mod D&D was the correct move.

gently caress all the genocide denying Russia worshipping irony-poisoned tankie morons trying to take control of the left, within these forums and outside of them.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Youth Decay posted:

Starting to think rejecting the PM I got a couple weeks ago asking if I wanted to mod D&D was the correct move.

gently caress all the genocide denying Russia worshipping irony-poisoned tankie morons trying to take control of the left, within these forums and outside of them.

The thread complaining about the shut down thread... just got shut down.

"The beatings will continue until morale improves."

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Comstar posted:

So in a more related to the thread question. Why are Ukrainian vehicle camo a single olive grab and not multiple colours? I've also noticed a distinct lack of painting anything white in winter. Why is that?

Minor reason, olive is the ideal camo for the area, where you're dealing with mostly flat grasslands and mud plains. The major reason why they don't is despite being supplied heavily by the west, most of Ukraine's arsenals is mostly made up of soviet era equipment and vehicles, same as the Russian. Having multiple units decks out in various different camos makes it that much harder to distinguish friend from foe. This is why you'll see many of Ukrainian's infantry and vehicles forgo camo all together and covering themselves from head to toe in bright yellow/blue reflecting tape.

On top this you also have to contend with drones, thermal sights, and other long range electronic observation equipment which haven't quite render camo worthless, but it has definitely lessened it importance in the overall scope of things. In this war, staying out of sight via hard cover like buildings and covered trenches has become more important than staying hidden in plain sight via camo.

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006
so this was the anniversary offensive? get a thread closed in gbs?

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
If you think about it it's Putin's greatest victory up until now.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Pajser posted:

Will at least we know who the ten million American volunteers of Wagner are

Mods and admins

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

Pajser posted:

SA mods and admins gaining more ground on the symbolic date than putin’s chef ever could

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Pajser posted:

They have to take their 'victories' where they can find them. Can't get any besides slowly capturing small villages at ruinous cost in equipment and lives, so there's that. By comparison getting a thread closed, where the pathetic army of Russia was mocked and made fun of for being unable to into modern army tactics, is on par with any victory Prince Bagration or General Rokossovsky managed to eke out for the Russian Motherland. :rolleye:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

You all are a loving embarrassment, and it's posting like this that gets threads closed. No one gives a loving poo poo about your opinion about GBS or C-SPAM here, in D&D. gently caress off. I'm closing this thread until someone with buttons reopens it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

You all are loving embarrassment, and it's posting like this that gets threads closed. No one gives a loving poo poo about your opinion about GBS or C-SPAM here, in D&D. gently caress off. I'm closing this thread until an IK or an admin reopens it.

Sorry Cinci I give a poo poo.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

You all are a loving embarrassment, and it's posting like this that gets threads closed. No one gives a loving poo poo about your opinion about GBS or C-SPAM here, in D&D. gently caress off. I'm closing this thread until someone with buttons reopens it.

That's fine, I'll leave it closed for a while today.

I'm not sure how I can make it clearer that this is a thread for discussing the war in Ukraine, and not a thread for complaining about the GBS thread being closed or about how the CSPAM thread is the headquarters of the red-brown alliance that is destroying SA. Take those complaints to an admin via PM or the feedback forum. This is D&D, we don't have any say on what goes on in GBS or CSPAM so getting mad in this thread does nothing, it only shits it up.

I get that people are upset about the GBS thread being closed, but you're making GBS threads up a completely unrelated space. Venting your frustration here does nothing but ruin another Ukraine thread.

edit: fatherboxx, please feel free to reopen the thread when you're around or I'll do so a bit later today.

Fritz the Horse fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 25, 2023

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Hello people, please behave and, again, don't use this thread to vent about forums administration. Dont fish for probations either.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1629496442137243648

Are these tiny gains we're seeing the result of the formations mobilised last year, or are they yet to be deployed?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
My understanding is that they mostly refilled previously deployed formations, modulo Wagner sacrificial convict formations (which seems distinct from veteran ones).

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Enjoy posted:

https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1629496442137243648

Are these tiny gains we're seeing the result of the formations mobilised last year, or are they yet to be deployed?

My understanding is that this is it. The mobilisation was useful for establishing defensive lines and preventing another Kharkiv collapse, but will not be as helpful in an offensive setting.

I'm not sure what the Russian plans are for offensives in the near future, they seem to be draining the remainder of their manpower and equipment for quite insubstantial gains, again. A thousand casualties per day does not seem sustainable for several months, and despite those losses, I'm not entirely sure they're even going to get Bakhmut at this rate.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

You see Russia has a million+ potential which means losing a bunch of men doesn't matter because material loss is a myth and made up. Ignore how all of the recent attacks have coincided with losses of tanks and other badly needed mechanical vehicles that will be very difficult to replace and will effectively remove any ability to take advantage of a hypothetical breakthrough in Ukrainian lines in the future.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've understood Russia has sustained monstrous casualty rates for comparatively minor gain, and rather than taking steps to mitigate, they rather seem to double down on the same failing tactics for the long haul, ostensively to "wear the Ukrainian military down". I'm doubtful as to whether that will work, but what do I know.

Regardless, I find it hard to see how a country could find long term domestic support for continuouly pouring its own into the forever war, unless it's actually only domestic undesirables who are sent off and everyone else thinks their not being around anymore is actually super great.

So, I guess my question is, is this actually a giant cleansing operation of domestic undesirables and people are actively cheering it on, or are these losses in fact no big deal for the russian everyman yet, or is it in fact having a huge impact on russian lives and families and they're presently creating a giant pressure cooker?

I guess my issue is that I find it hard to make sense of all the angles and reporting.

Karate Bastard fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 25, 2023

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

If russia decides to just switch to a static defence along the whole frontline i have to wonder how long they would last.

It's not WW1 and piling on barely trained troops lacking a decreasing pool of weapons/ammo/gear can only take you so far.

As for China propping up their logistics i have absolutely no idea atm. :shrug:

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Karate Bastard posted:

So, I guess my question is, is this actually a giant cleansing operation of domestic undesirables and people are actively cheering it on, or are these losses in fact no big deal for the russian everyman yet, or is it in fact having a huge impact on russian lives and families and they're presently creating a giant pressure cooker?

Russia lost about 1 million people to COVID and large parts of population are still convinced that the disease was not real
At most there are 100-150k dead+wounded at this moment, so it is not enough to make a dent in public opinion or in demographics yet

You are right that large parts of country dont consider prisoners people, so the darwinistic rhetoric of Prigozhin of "better them than YOUR sons and brothers" hits something (as does the recruitment from economically depressed regions, especially with ethnic minority population). But the stream of convict suicide squads is dwindling, thanks to prison networks telling about sad state of things in storm troops, so the mobilized divisions need to be used more and more.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Going to laugh when history repeats itself x5 as a pocket forms and then encircles like 30,000 Russian convicts.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Enjoy posted:

There have been numerous articles that the Kharkiv offensive was only possible because Russia was running out of manpower at the front in that region. The partial mobilization has temporarily fixed that problem by sending most of the mobilized to the front very quickly. Currently that manpower is being spent. At some point additional manpower will have to be mobilized in a new wave again, or the front line will be undermanned again.

However, doing it this way means that the troops being sent to the front by Russia will again be badly trained.

Ukraine doesn't have this problem as much, because they have fully mobilized. This means that they are constantly mobilizing and training additional manpower. This gives much better chances of improving over time.

RockWhisperer
Oct 26, 2018
Reading through the ISW report, there was a good reference to this Der Spiegel article regarding why Blinken voiced explicit concern for Chinese lethal support.

quote:

According to that information, the Russian military is engaged in negotiations with Chinese drone manufacturer Xi'an Bingo Intelligent Aviation Technology over the mass production of kamikaze drones for Russia...

DER SPIEGEL has learned in its reporting that plans had apparently already been made to falsify shipping documents to make the parts for military aircraft appear to be replacement parts for civilian aviation.

Lastly, NYTimes's The Daily episode from yesterday features three high quality interviews with a Ukrainian widow, soldier, and paramedic (:nms: depictions of violence).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

fatherboxx posted:

Russia lost about 1 million people to COVID and large parts of population are still convinced that the disease was not real
At most there are 100-150k dead+wounded at this moment, so it is not enough to make a dent in public opinion or in demographics yet

You are right that large parts of country dont consider prisoners people, so the darwinistic rhetoric of Prigozhin of "better them than YOUR sons and brothers" hits something (as does the recruitment from economically depressed regions, especially with ethnic minority population). But the stream of convict suicide squads is dwindling, thanks to prison networks telling about sad state of things in storm troops, so the mobilized divisions need to be used more and more.

Where they at for total number of people who fled the country? Bet they hit a million plus and I think that's going to hit hard especially when a lot of them are a braindrain deal. Most people gotta know a friend or associate who skipped town